|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Ifelemu slept for three nights in the beginning of Chapter 43?
2. How are Blaine's eating habits described in Chapter 34?
3. What is Ifemelu's impression of Lagos immediately after her return?
4. Who is Shan's boyfriend that calls Blaine's home in Chapter 40?
5. Where did Ifemelu meet Tendai?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the root of Ifemelu's discomfort around Paula in the narrative?
2. Why does Ifemelu argue with the Haitian woman in Chapter 31?
3. What is foreshadowed through Obinze's and Ifemelu's correspondence in Chapter 42?
4. How is Esther described in the narrative? What other characters in the novel does Esther resemble?
5. What argument do Ifemelu and Curt have regarding women's magazines in Part 4?
6. What foreshadowing can be seen in Ifemelu's relationship with Blaine in Chapter 36?
7. How are the concepts of race and class in England and America compared in the narrative?
8. How are Obinze's emotions revealed through his actions in Chapter 42?
9. What issues does Shan describe with her editor and the publication of her book?
10. Why does the author employ flashbacks in Chapter 31? How do flashbacks enhance the reader's experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the backdrop of the Obama Presidential campaign in the narrative. How does the campaign influence Ifemelu’s thoughts on race in America? How does the campaign affect Ifemelu’s relationship with Blaine? What does the Obama Presidency signify for the characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the title of Americanah. What does this term mean, and who uses it in the narrative? Do you think that Ifemelu is an Americanah? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Shan in the novel. How is Shan similar to and different from Ifemelu? What are Ifemelu’s first impressions of Shan? How does their relationship develop in the course of the novel?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)