|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What magazine does Aunty Onenu compare Zoe to in Chapter 45?
2. How is Dike's girlfriend described in Chapter 37?
3. Who returns from a medical mission in Nigeria to spend time with Dike in Chapter 43?
4. Where does Blaine live when he and Ifemelu become lovers?
5. What is the subject of Ifemelu's blog in the end of Chapter 37?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the theme of identity as it applies to Dike. How does Dike perceive his identity?
2. How are Obinze's emotions revealed through his actions in Chapter 42?
3. How is the theme of identity connected to Ifelemu's relationship with Blaine?
4. What does the bookstore symbolize in Chapter 27?
5. What is foreshadowed through Obinze's and Ifemelu's correspondence in Chapter 42?
6. How has Aunty Uju's life changed in Chapter 32?
7. How are the concepts of race and class in England and America compared in the narrative?
8. What is the root of Ifemelu's discomfort around Paula in the narrative?
9. What ideas are addressed regarding African immigration at Emenike's dinner party?
10. What are Ifemelu's present circumstances like in Chapter 43? Where is she staying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What leads to Ifemelu’s dissatisfaction at working for the magazine Zoe in Lagos? Who are Ifemelu’s coworkers and employer? How does she relate to these characters? What does Ifemelu do after leaving her position?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss hair as a metaphor and symbol in Americanah. What does Ifemelu’s hair mean to her? How is the protagonist’s hair reflective of the changes that she undergoes in the narrative? Where does this symbol originate for Ifemelu? How does she emerge as an individual through her discussions of African hair?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Dike in the novel. What is Ifemelu’s relationship with Dike like? How does Dike embody the themes of the narrative? How does Dike’s character evolve in the course of the story?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)