|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What blog title is described in Chapter 42 as "the most personal post [Ifemelu] had written about the black American"?
(a) “A Michelle Obama Shout-Out Plus Hair as a Race Metaphor.”
(b) “Why Dark-Skinned Black Women Both American and Non-American Love Barack Obama.”
(c) "Traveling While Black."
(d) "Just This Evening."
2. Who says at the dinner party in Chapter 29 that in America blacks and whites work together, but don’t play together and that in England it is just the opposite?
3. Whose death does Obinze describe in his email to Ifemelu in Chapter 42?
(a) His father's death.
(b) His mother's death.
(c) Kosi's death.
(d) Aunty Uju's death.
4. What is the name of the receptionist at the Zoe magazine office?
5. Who gives Obinze a suit for his wedding in Chapter 30?
(b) The General.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dike tell Ifemelu she should go in the end of Chapter 43?
2. Who among Ifemelu's old friends is described in Chapter 46 as "unrecognizable now, so fat that even her nose had changed shape"?
3. Where has Ifelemu slept for three nights in the beginning of Chapter 43?
4. Where is Obinze taking a train to when he finds himself surrounded by Nigerians in Chapter 27?
5. What is the title of Ifemelu's blog post in the end of Chapter 31?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolized by Ifemely's invitation for Dike to visit her in Nigeria?
2. What ideas are addressed regarding African immigration at Emenike's dinner party?
3. What issues does Shan describe with her editor and the publication of her book?
4. How does Emenike respond when Obinze requests to see him in London? Why?
5. How is Esther described in the narrative? What other characters in the novel does Esther resemble?
6. How are Obinze's emotions revealed through his actions in Chapter 42?
7. What connection does Ifemelu reach with Aisha in Chapter 41? What does this foreshadow?
8. How is the motif of accents addressed by Ranyinudo in Part 7?
9. How is the theme of identity connected to Ifelemu's relationship with Blaine?
10. Why does the author employ flashbacks in Chapter 31? How do flashbacks enhance the reader's experience?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)