|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comfort food does Ifemelu associate with Nigeria?
(a) Tapioca pudding.
(b) Bananas with peanuts.
(c) Chicken and peppers.
(d) Goat stew.
2. What advice does Obinze give to Ifemelu to help her understand American culture in Chapter 14?
(a) To relocate to Mississippi.
(b) To read American books.
(c) To watch American television shows.
(d) To listen to American music.
3. Who does Obinze meet with to set up an arranged marriage in Chapter 23?
(a) The French.
(b) The Angolans.
(c) The Haitians.
(d) The Namibians.
4. For how long has Ifemelu been in America when she sends Obinze a text to say she is returning to Nigeria in Chapter 1?
(a) 6 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 12 years.
(d) 4 years.
5. Where does Obinze work for Roy Snell in Chapter 26?
(a) At a vineyard.
(b) At a warehouse.
(c) At a bank.
(d) At a cattle ranch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Curt's family been for hundreds of years?
2. Where has Obinze moved to Lagos from in Chapter 4?
3. Which of his friends does Obinze call second for help in getting an NI number and work in England?
4. Where is Blaine's home located in Chapter 1?
5. Who is the braider's boyfriend that agrees to come to speak to Ifemelu at the shop in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the symbolism of Ifelemu's mother's hair in the narrative. What is represented when she cuts her hair?
2. What does Obinze observe regarding Nigerians with English accents in Part 3?
3. How are Obinze's cousin in London and Aunty Uju in America similar in the novel?
4. Describe Aunty Uju in the narrative. What is Aunty Uju's role in Ifemelu's life?
5. What is the name of the blog that Ifemelu writes and what is the focus of the blog?
6. What differences stand out the most to Ifemelu between Nigeria and America after she's first arrived in the U.S. in Part 2?
7. How are Obinze's and Ifemelu's struggles with employment in their new-found countries similar?
8. How does Ifemelu perceive the differences between the news in America and Nigeria when she first arrives in the U.S.?
9. How would you describe Ifemelu's mother's relationship with religion?
10. How would you describe Ifemelu's character when she is first introduced? What are her circumstances?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)