|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Obinze's cousin that he lives with when he comes to England in Chapter 23?
2. What happens to Ifemelu's hair in Chapter 20?
(a) It begins falling out.
(b) It is braided into cornrows.
(c) It grows long.
(d) It begins turning gray.
3. Why did Ifemelu's mother cut off her hair?
(a) Because her husband asked her to do so.
(b) Because she became religious.
(c) Because she had lice.
(d) Because she was moving to America.
4. Which of his friends does Obinze call first for help in getting an NI number and work when he arrives in England?
5. What does the narrator describe in Ifemelu's soul in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What percentage of his wages must Obinze give in exchange for using another man's NI number in Chapter 25?
2. What sport does Ifemelu play with Dike when she visits in Chapter 17?
3. Who leaves the braiding shop to pick up food in Chapter 3?
4. Where is Aunty Uju's neighbor Jane from?
5. For how long has Ifemelu lived with Blaine when she tells him she's moving back to Nigeria in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the name of the blog that Ifemelu writes and what is the focus of the blog?
2. Describe Aunty Uju in the narrative. What is Aunty Uju's role in Ifemelu's life?
3. How would you describe Obinze in the beginning of the novel? What objects symbolize Obinze's character?
4. Who does Obinze work for at a warehouse in London? How is he treated at this job?
5. What does Aisha solicit Ifemelu to do in Chapter 1? Why?
6. How does Ifemelu perceive the differences between the news in America and Nigeria when she first arrives in the U.S.?
7. How has Aunty Uju changed when Ifemelu first encounters her in America?
8. What is significant about Ginika's response to Ifemelu regarding the white and black salespeople at the dress shop in Part 2?
9. How is "American Tribalism" defined in the narrative?
10. What do bananas and peanuts symbolize for Ifemelu? How are they perceived by Dike in Part 2?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)