|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 31, what was Fabiola doing when the earthquake hit?
2. What does Fabiola tell Kasim at the end of Chapter 28?
3. What does Fabiola do at the of Chapter 26?
4. In Chapter 31, what does Fabiola remember at the beginning of the Chapter?
5. What is the Haitian saying that Fabiola tells Chantal in Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fabiola dream in Chapter 21? Why does she dream this?
2. What do they see when they arrive back home in Chapter 30? What does Fabiola do?
3. Why does Donna break it off with Dray in Chapter 19? What does she do with him?
4. In Chapter 31, what has happened to Dray? How is Bad Leg related to this?
5. What do the Francois sisters intend in Chapter 26 to pay back Q? How does Fabiola feel about this?
6. In "Kasim's Story," how does Kasim say Dray and Q have been for him and his mother?
7. What happens to Donna in the evening in Chapter 23? What does Fabiola think about America?
8. In Chapter 32, what does Fabiola think as she looks at the Michigan landscape? What does she say about the American people?
9. Why does Donna say she is aggressive towards Imani in Chapter 17? What does Fabiola realize about the sisters?
10. In Chapter 32, what does the Francois family do with 8800 American Street? What do they drive away to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The crossroads of American Street and Joy Road are the intersection of 8800 American Street. In the beginning of the novel, Fabiola realizes she must choose between either street for her future (112). What does she eventually choose? How does her choice affect the Francois family and herself? What influences her to make her decision?
Finally, consider what road the family drives down at the end to pick up her mother. What does this represent about the events of the novel and Fabiola's choice?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter Twenty Six where Fabiola says, "...I swallow and let them fill my body as if I've just eaten [Dray's] soul" (269). How does her decision to do this connect to what she says at the end of the novel, "We have to become everything we want. Consume it. Like our lwas" (320)? How does Fabiola, metaphorically or literally, become Dray, or Baron Samedi? What in her actions come to mirror Dray's actions in becoming him? Write what this says about the morality of how she and Dray both act.
Essay Topic 3
Fabiola says she becomes American in the novel with everything the Bees show her. How is this relationship of changing between her and the family reciprocal? How does Fabiola's arrival in the family change their lives, thoughts, and actions? What is the novel showing by this about how relationships between family works?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)