|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Fabiola meet in CVS in Chapter 9?
2. What will Shawna Stevens trade to Fabiola for information in Chapter 9?
3. Where does Papa Legba lead Fabiola in Chapter 15?
4. What does Chantal say America is to her, as said in "Chantal's Story"?
5. What does Fabiola think that Dray reminds her of in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Matant Jo's Story," how does Matant Jo describe her feeling after Philip's death? What does she says she thinks Fabiola will do about this?
2. What does Fabiola tell her cousins about her mother in Chapter 2? What do her cousins say?
3. What question does Fabiola ask Kasim that makes him angry in Chapter 11? Why does it?
4. What happens with Fabiola’s paper in Chapter 12? What does Mr. Nolan offer?
5. How does Chantal describe her body in "Chantal's Story"? What does Fabiola make her do?
6. Who does Fabiola hear singing out the window in Chapter 2? What happens to him?
7. In Chapter 13, who shows up outside Kasim’s cafe? What does Imani do with who shows up?
8. What does Fabiola do to Pri's hair in Chapter 4? How does this make Fabiola feel?
9. Who picks Fabiola up in Chapter 9? What do they do together?
10. What surprises Fabiola about the Detroit airport in Chapter 1? Who is she meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter Twenty One, Fabiola dreams of the history of 8800 American Street, and then in the next chapter the detailed history of 8800 American Street is revealed. What does this structure say about how Fabiola learns the stories revealed in the novel? Are they actually being spoken to her or does she learn them in other ways? If she learns them in other ways, what are these ways of knowing? Choose three of the backstories to develop an argument about how she knows these.
Finally, what is the novel saying by having these stories revealed in this way? What is Fabiola's role related to the other characters of the novel and to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
When Fabiola first comes to America, she feels as if she leaves her mother, her heart, behind. How does her feeling towards her mother change in the novel? How does Fabiola come to realize throughout the novel that her mother has raised her? How is the way she is raised compared to her cousins show a cultural difference between immigrants and first generation immigrants?
Essay Topic 3
Fabiola's determination to intercede in her mother's detention, and Dray's relationship with Donna, leads to her mother coming home, but Kasim dead. Does Fabiola need to interfere like she chooses to do? What are the consequences of her interference? Why does she not wait as she is told to by her aunt and cousins?
Make this a twofold paper where you say what you think about her decision and also what the novel is saying: is it saying you must interfere to change fate, or you must sit back?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)