Chapter 1 - Matant Jo's Story
This version of the following novel was used to write this lesson plan: American Stories.
- Fabiola Toussaint is separated from her mother at the Kennedy Airport customs.
- They are from Port-au-Prince and planning to visit their cousins in Detroit.
- The customs officer pulled her mother aside while Fabiola went on the flight.
- In Detroit, Fabiola waits for her mother and does not see her.
- She stops a customs officer and asks for her mother, Valeria Toussaint, but the customs officer tells her to come back in the morning.
- Fabiola prays for her Maman and thinks how they were going to build a new life in America.
- In the Detroit waiting area, Fabiola is surprised by America and thinks of her cousins, Chantal, Primadonna, Princess, and her Aunt Majorie.
- A girl steps up to...
This section contains 5,819 words
(approx. 20 pages at 300 words per page)