|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jefferson decide to plant in the place of tobacco?
2. What family is allowed to live at Mulberry Row?
(a) His entire slave family.
(b) The Hemings family.
(c) Those family members with dark skin.
(d) Jefferson's family.
3. How famous is Jefferson at the time he becomes an ambassador in France?
(a) His fame has stayed the same.
(b) He is unknown in France.
(c) His fame has increased.
(d) His fame has decreased.
4. Who is probably the most beloved and admired of American presidents?
(a) George Bush.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Herbert Hoover.
(d) George Washington.
5. How are Jefferson's actions towards slavery and his views of slavery contradictory?
(a) He believes that slavery is an acceptable practice, yet he does not own slaves.
(b) He promotes slavery and owns slaves.
(c) He abhors slavery, and he does not own slaves.
(d) He believes slavery is immoral, yet he owns slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jefferson's most successful financial enterprise?
2. How many children do Patsy and her husband have?
3. For what are Betty Hemings' grandchildren mistaken?
4. Who is reportedly the father of Sally Hemings?
5. Of what has Jefferson either never learned the technique or accepted the necessity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might the author be surprised by the number of people who attend the evening devoted to Jefferson?
2. How does Jefferson speak about and treat his slaves?
3. To what does the author compare the sexual services required of slaves?
4. What is the author's opinion about Bill Clinton's behavior with Monica Lewinsky?
5. How is the relationship between Abigail Adams and Thomas Jefferson?
6. How does Jefferson receive advice from Abigail Adams while he is in France?
7. What impression does Jefferson's arrival in Paris give the French?
8. What two decisions shape his entire life?
9. What do Patsy and Polly have in common?
10. Why does Jefferson's plan to plant wheat fail?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)