|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who claims this president?
(c) His wife, Martha Wales.
(d) Liberals and conservatives.
2. How much does Jefferson believe the war will cost?
(a) $3 billion.
(b) $3 million.
(c) $6 million.
(d) $6 billion.
3. How does Jefferson react to the invasion by Benedict Arnold's troops?
(a) He flees on horseback.
(b) He single-handedly fights Benedict Arnold.
(c) He hides in Monticello.
(d) He musters his militia.
4. What governmental position does Alexander Hamilton hold?
(a) Secretary of State.
(b) Surgeon General.
(c) Secretary of the Treasury.
(d) Secretary of the Interior.
5. How long does Jefferson believe the war will last?
(a) About three months.
(b) About one year.
(c) About six months.
(d) About four years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Martha extract from Jefferson?
2. Who is deeply in debt?
3. How does Jefferson arrive in Paris?
4. What does Abigail Adams provide Jefferson from London?
5. What have several historians pointed out does not exist between a master and a slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Madison let Jefferson know that his name is being put forth as the Republican Party's candidate for president through coded letters?
2. Why might the author be surprised by the number of people who attend the evening devoted to Jefferson?
3. What role does James Callender play in this scandal?
4. How does Jefferson's arrival in Washington, D.C., differ from his arrivals in Philadelphia and Paris?
5. How does Martha Wales Jefferson die?
6. How do Jefferson and Adams begin to reconcile their friendship?
7. What is the author's opinion about Bill Clinton's behavior with Monica Lewinsky?
8. What two decisions shape his entire life?
9. Of what aspects of our culture and government would Jefferson disapprove?
10. Why does Martha force Jefferson to promise to never remarry?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)