|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Polly marry?
(a) Thomas Payne.
(b) John Smith.
(c) John Wales Eppes.
(d) Thomas Mann Randolph Jr.
2. When does Polly die?
(a) While she is in France.
(b) In childbirth.
(c) As a small child.
(d) In old age.
3. Why does the audience not ask questions regarding Jefferson's slave ownership and relationship with Sally Hemings?
(a) They are unsure whether it is appropriate to discuss these issues.
(b) They are too well-mannered.
(c) They are too timid.
(d) They are too embarrassed.
4. When it comes to Jefferson's writing, what does he not like?
(a) To write political pamphlets.
(b) To write persuasively.
(c) To have his work accepted.
(d) To be edited.
5. Besides slaves, what else does Jefferson inherit from his father-in-law's estate?
(a) A house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jefferson's attitude towards slavery?
2. To what is Jefferson compared at an elaborate dinner party?
3. What is Jefferson's most successful financial enterprise?
4. What does Jefferson expect his slave to learn while in France?
5. How does Jefferson react to the invasion by Benedict Arnold's troops?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jefferson hate Alexander Hamilton so much?
2. What two views of Jefferson's about King George III are incompatible?
3. How does Jefferson receive advice from Abigail Adams while he is in France?
4. Why might the author be surprised by the number of people who attend the evening devoted to Jefferson?
5. Where is the relationship between Jefferson and Hemings a topic?
6. How does Martha Wales Jefferson die?
7. Why might the audience have been too polite to discuss Jefferson's slave ownership and relationship with Sally Hemings?
8. Why does Martha force Jefferson to promise to never remarry?
9. How is the relationship between Abigail Adams and Thomas Jefferson?
10. Why does Jefferson's plan to plant wheat fail?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)