|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Martha Wales Jefferson several months after the birth of their daughter Lucy Elizabeth?
(a) She becomes ill but recovers.
(b) She dies.
(c) She tells Jefferson she is not having anymore of his children.
(d) She becomes pregnant with their fourth child.
2. Who does Polly marry?
(a) John Wales Eppes.
(b) Thomas Mann Randolph Jr.
(c) Thomas Payne.
(d) John Smith.
3. How many children do Patsy and her husband have?
4. What serve as the most enduring record of Jefferson's life?
(a) The letters Jefferson and Madison exchange.
(b) The letter Jefferson and Abigail Adams exchange.
(c) His pamphlets.
(d) The laws he passes as Governor of Virginia.
5. How does Jefferson feel about spirited debates?
(a) He believes they are a waste of time.
(b) He loves to be in on the action.
(c) He has a stong aversion towards them and is unable to participate.
(d) He thinks they are very beneficial when fighting for a cause.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jefferson retire to Monticello by 1794?
2. What does the Virginia Assembly do, regarding Jefferson's reaction to the invasion by Benedict Arnold's troops?
3. How are Jefferson's political beliefs during those revolutionary times?
4. Why is Jefferson inconsolable and cries every night for six weeks?
5. To what is Jefferson compared at an elaborate dinner party?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Martha Wales Jefferson die?
2. What do Polly and her mother have in common?
3. What is the author's opinion about Bill Clinton's behavior with Monica Lewinsky?
4. What two views of Jefferson's about King George III are incompatible?
5. How does Jefferson receive advice from Abigail Adams while he is in France?
6. What are two of Jefferson's untruths in his pamphlets?
7. Why are the Hemingses allowed to live at Mulberry Row and work in the house?
8. Why does Jefferson hate Alexander Hamilton so much?
9. To what does the author compare the sexual services required of slaves?
10. Why does Martha force Jefferson to promise to never remarry?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)