|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jefferson refer to his slaves?
(a) As his property.
(b) As the bane of his existence.
(c) As his "extended family."
(d) As members of society.
2. How famous is Jefferson at the time he becomes an ambassador in France?
(a) His fame has decreased.
(b) His fame has stayed the same.
(c) He is unknown in France.
(d) His fame has increased.
3. What happens to Martha Wales Jefferson several months after the birth of their daughter Lucy Elizabeth?
(a) She tells Jefferson she is not having anymore of his children.
(b) She becomes pregnant with their fourth child.
(c) She becomes ill but recovers.
(d) She dies.
4. What does Jefferson idealize?
(c) The King of England.
5. What serve as the most enduring record of Jefferson's life?
(a) The letters Jefferson and Madison exchange.
(b) The letter Jefferson and Abigail Adams exchange.
(c) His pamphlets.
(d) The laws he passes as Governor of Virginia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do both Franklin Roosevelt and Herbert Hoover claim about Jefferson?
2. How are Jefferson's political beliefs during those revolutionary times?
3. Why does Jefferson retire to Monticello by 1794?
4. How does Jefferson react to the invasion by Benedict Arnold's troops?
5. Why do many men of Jefferson's time refuse to own slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jefferson do with his companions once they arrive in France?
2. Why does Madison let Jefferson know that his name is being put forth as the Republican Party's candidate for president through coded letters?
3. What do John Wales and Thomas Jefferson possibly have in common?
4. Why does Jefferson's plan to plant wheat fail?
5. Why is Jefferson claimed by many individuals with opposing beliefs?
6. To what does the author compare the sexual services required of slaves?
7. What happens to Virginia under Jefferson's guidance?
8. What is Jefferson's ideal Utopian society?
9. Why does Jefferson not want to return to Philadelphia?
10. What are two central features of Jefferson's personality?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)