|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many slaves does Jefferson own at this point in his life?
(a) Between 10 and 20.
(b) Between 5 and 10.
(c) Between 50 and 100.
(d) Between 100 and 200.
2. Who is Sally Hemings?
(a) Jefferson's wife.
(b) Martha Wales' sister.
(c) A slave Jefferson inherited from his wife's family.
(d) Jefferson's neice.
3. Who are the other two ambassadors in France?
(a) Madison and Monroe.
(b) George Washington and John Adams.
(c) James Hemings and John Wales.
(d) John Adams and Ben Franklin.
4. How much does Jefferson believe the war will cost?
(a) $3 billion.
(b) $6 billion.
(c) $6 million.
(d) $3 million.
5. How does Jefferson feel about spirited debates?
(a) He has a stong aversion towards them and is unable to participate.
(b) He believes they are a waste of time.
(c) He thinks they are very beneficial when fighting for a cause.
(d) He loves to be in on the action.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Jefferson Governor of Virginia?
2. What have several historians pointed out does not exist between a master and a slave?
3. How does Ellis feel about presentism?
4. Who is deeply in debt?
5. How would Jefferson have gone through life, if his pamphlet had not been published?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jefferson's ideal Utopian society?
2. What do John Wales and Thomas Jefferson possibly have in common?
3. What do Patsy and Polly have in common?
4. Why might, by the standards of Jefferson's day, having an affair with a slave and fathering children by her be considered unethical?
5. What does Jefferson do with his companions once they arrive in France?
6. Why does Madison let Jefferson know that his name is being put forth as the Republican Party's candidate for president through coded letters?
7. To what does the author compare the sexual services required of slaves?
8. What two decisions shape his entire life?
9. What do Polly and her mother have in common?
10. Why does Jefferson not want to return to Philadelphia?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)