|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abigail Adams encourage Jefferson to do, regarding his daughter Maria?
(a) To bring her to France.
(b) To keep her in Virginia.
(c) To let Abigail take her to England.
(d) To put her in a boarding school in France.
2. What promise does Martha extract from Jefferson?
(a) A deathbed promise to not remarry.
(b) To send his children to expensive boarding schools.
(c) To end his affair with Sally.
(d) To go back to Philadelphia to be a member of the Continental Congress.
3. How much does Jefferson believe the war will cost?
(a) $6 billion.
(b) $6 million.
(c) $3 million.
(d) $3 billion.
4. What have several historians pointed out does not exist between a master and a slave?
(a) Consensual sex.
(d) A hierarchy.
5. Of what is the pamphlet "A Summary of the Rights of British America" a first draft?
(a) Declaration of Independence.
(b) Articles of the Confederation.
(c) Constitution for the Freedom of Colonial America.
(d) Declaration of Treachery by King George III.
Short Answer Questions
1. Like many Virginia aristocrats, what does Jefferson equate to land?
2. What governmental position does Alexander Hamilton hold?
3. What serve as the most enduring record of Jefferson's life?
4. What is a key facet of Jefferson's personality?
5. What is the reason the author gives for the contradiction between Jefferson's opinion of slavery and his owning of slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jefferson not want to return to Philadelphia?
2. What three articles is he known for writing?
3. Why does Martha force Jefferson to promise to never remarry?
4. What impression does Jefferson's arrival in Paris give the French?
5. Why does Madison let Jefferson know that his name is being put forth as the Republican Party's candidate for president through coded letters?
6. What does Jefferson do with his companions once they arrive in France?
7. Why might, by the standards of Jefferson's day, having an affair with a slave and fathering children by her be considered unethical?
8. What is the author's opinion about Bill Clinton's behavior with Monica Lewinsky?
9. What do Polly and her mother have in common?
10. What is Jefferson's ideal Utopian society?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)