|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What affect does Jefferson's term as Governor of Virginia have on the state?
(a) The state's economy prospers.
(b) The state's economy is a disaster.
(c) The state goesunder major political renovations.
(d) The state develops rapidly.
2. What illustrates two central features of Jefferson's personality?
(a) The amended version of the "Declaration of Independence."
(b) The address called the "Declaration of the Causes and Necessity for Taking Up Arms."
(c) His friendships with John Adams and Ben Franklin.
(d) His relationship with his children.
3. How is having an affair and fathering children with a slave viewed by people of Jefferson's day?
(b) Not unusual.
4. Who first exposes Jefferson to a companionate marriage?
(a) George and Martha Washington.
(b) Ben and Debrah Franklin.
(c) James and Dolley Madison.
(d) John and Abigail Adams.
5. Of what party does Jefferson become the leader in just a few years?
(a) The Republican Party.
(b) The Whig Party.
(c) The Democratic Party.
(d) The Independent Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Ellis feel it is unfair to accuse a man of Jefferson's time regarding women?
2. What is a key facet of Jefferson's personality?
3. How many children do Patsy and her husband have?
4. What does Abigail Adams encourage Jefferson to do, regarding his daughter Maria?
5. What do both Franklin Roosevelt and Herbert Hoover claim about Jefferson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Jefferson glamorize to benefit himself?
2. Why does Madison let Jefferson know that his name is being put forth as the Republican Party's candidate for president through coded letters?
3. Why does Martha force Jefferson to promise to never remarry?
4. What are two central features of Jefferson's personality?
5. Why does Jefferson hate Alexander Hamilton so much?
6. How does Jefferson speak about and treat his slaves?
7. Why does Jefferson's plan to plant wheat fail?
8. What is the author's opinion about Bill Clinton's behavior with Monica Lewinsky?
9. What are two of Jefferson's untruths in his pamphlets?
10. Why might the author be surprised by the number of people who attend the evening devoted to Jefferson?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)