|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did Jefferson engage in vile public clashes?
(a) James Madison.
(b) Aaron Burr.
(c) Alexander Hamilton.
(d) John Adams.
2. Who does Jefferson refer to his slaves?
(a) As his "extended family."
(b) As his property.
(c) As members of society.
(d) As the bane of his existence.
3. What issue does Ellis dismiss as "slanderous assaults?"
(a) the Declaration of Independence issue.
(b) The Sally Hemings issue.
(c) The slavery issue.
(d) The Constitution issue.
4. How does Ellis feel about presentism?
(a) He agrees with it.
(b) He is unsure about his stand on it.
(c) He argues against it.
(d) He suffers from it.
5. Of what descent is Hamilton?
Short Answer Questions
1. When it comes to Jefferson's writing, what does he not like?
2. How famous is Jefferson at the time he becomes an ambassador in France?
3. Who does Patsy confess to loving more than her husband?
4. What does the Virginia Assembly do, regarding Jefferson's reaction to the invasion by Benedict Arnold's troops?
5. What happens to Martha Wales Jefferson several months after the birth of their daughter Lucy Elizabeth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Madison let Jefferson know that his name is being put forth as the Republican Party's candidate for president through coded letters?
2. What two views of Jefferson's about King George III are incompatible?
3. Why does Martha force Jefferson to promise to never remarry?
4. How does Jefferson speak about and treat his slaves?
5. What do John Wales and Thomas Jefferson possibly have in common?
6. Why might the author be surprised by the number of people who attend the evening devoted to Jefferson?
7. How does Jefferson receive advice from Abigail Adams while he is in France?
8. What impression does Jefferson's arrival in Paris give the French?
9. How is Jefferson's most successful financial enterprise operated?
10. What two decisions shape his entire life?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)