|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jefferson idealize?
(a) The King of England.
2. How does Jefferson arrive in Philadelphia for the first Continental Congress?
(a) He arrives in an opulent carriage with three slaves outfitted in elaborate costumes.
(b) He arrives by horseback, as do most people at this time.
(c) He arrives excited and ready to lead the nation.
(d) He arrives secretly in the night, due to the high security risk.
3. When does Polly die?
(a) In childbirth.
(b) In old age.
(c) While she is in France.
(d) As a small child.
4. Why does Jefferson retire to Monticello by 1794?
(a) To get away from John Adams.
(b) To heal his considerable political wounds.
(c) To work on the design for a new home.
(d) To spend time with his daughters.
5. Of what party does Jefferson become the leader in just a few years?
(a) The Independent Party.
(b) The Republican Party.
(c) The Whig Party.
(d) The Democratic Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have several historians pointed out does not exist between a master and a slave?
2. Who does Polly marry?
3. Where does Jefferson attend college?
4. What does the Virginia Assembly do, regarding Jefferson's reaction to the invasion by Benedict Arnold's troops?
5. How are Jefferson's political beliefs during those revolutionary times?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jefferson do with his companions once they arrive in France?
2. What two decisions shape his entire life?
3. Why might the author be surprised by the number of people who attend the evening devoted to Jefferson?
4. Why does Jefferson hate Alexander Hamilton so much?
5. What impression does Jefferson's arrival in Paris give the French?
6. Why does Jefferson not want to return to Philadelphia?
7. What story does Jefferson glamorize to benefit himself?
8. How does Jefferson speak about and treat his slaves?
9. What do Polly and her mother have in common?
10. What three articles is he known for writing?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)