|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is Jefferson Governor of Virginia?
(a) Two years.
(b) One year.
(c) Four years.
(d) Three years.
2. Who accompanied Jefferson to France?
(a) John Adams and Ben Franklin.
(b) Sally Hemings.
(c) His three daughters.
(d) His daughter Martha, known as Patsy, and a slave named James Hemings.
3. What does Jefferson decide to plant in the place of tobacco?
4. What affect does Jefferson's term as Governor of Virginia have on the state?
(a) The state develops rapidly.
(b) The state's economy prospers.
(c) The state's economy is a disaster.
(d) The state goesunder major political renovations.
5. What do both Franklin Roosevelt and Herbert Hoover claim about Jefferson?
(a) His views of isolationism.
(b) His ideals in their very different opinions of prohibition.
(c) His ideals in their very different ways of handling the Depression.
(d) His opinion of the women's rights movement.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Patsy confess to loving more than her husband?
2. What is the nickname Ellis gives for Sally Hemings?
3. Who does Jefferson sometimes revile as a drunkard and sometimes as a wise, just ruler?
4. What does Abigail Adams encourage Jefferson to do, regarding his daughter Maria?
5. Who does Polly marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jefferson speak about and treat his slaves?
2. To what does the author compare the sexual services required of slaves?
3. What two views of Jefferson's about King George III are incompatible?
4. Why does Jefferson's plan to plant wheat fail?
5. How is the relationship between Abigail Adams and Thomas Jefferson?
6. How does Jefferson receive advice from Abigail Adams while he is in France?
7. What is the author's opinion about Bill Clinton's behavior with Monica Lewinsky?
8. Why might the audience have been too polite to discuss Jefferson's slave ownership and relationship with Sally Hemings?
9. What is Jefferson's ideal Utopian society?
10. Why are the Hemingses allowed to live at Mulberry Row and work in the house?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)