|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is little known about Jefferson's early history?
(a) No records are kept of his early life.
(b) His early life is fairly inconsequential.
(c) All records are destroyed in a fire in Shadwell, Virginia.
(d) He has his records destroyed to protect his family.
2. Who is deeply in debt?
3. What does the Virginia Assembly do, regarding Jefferson's reaction to the invasion by Benedict Arnold's troops?
(a) They make him commander of the Virginia army.
(b) They launch an investigation against him for cowardice and dereliction of duty.
(c) They award him with the Medal of Honor.
(d) They chastise him for hiding.
4. How long did Jeffersonians rule the nation?
(a) The first fourteen years of the 19th century.
(b) The first four years of the 19th century.
(c) The first twenty-four years of the 19th century.
(d) The first thirty-four years of the 19th century.
5. Of what descent is Hamilton?
Short Answer Questions
1. What issue does Ellis dismiss as "slanderous assaults?"
2. How much does Jefferson believe the war will cost?
3. What do both Franklin Roosevelt and Herbert Hoover claim about Jefferson?
4. What serve as the most enduring record of Jefferson's life?
5. What does Jefferson study in college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Madison let Jefferson know that his name is being put forth as the Republican Party's candidate for president through coded letters?
2. How does Jefferson receive advice from Abigail Adams while he is in France?
3. Where is the relationship between Jefferson and Hemings a topic?
4. What is the author's opinion about Bill Clinton's behavior with Monica Lewinsky?
5. Why might the audience have been too polite to discuss Jefferson's slave ownership and relationship with Sally Hemings?
6. How does Jefferson speak about and treat his slaves?
7. To what does the author compare the sexual services required of slaves?
8. Why does Jefferson hate Alexander Hamilton so much?
9. Why does Jefferson not want to return to Philadelphia?
10. What do Polly and her mother have in common?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)