|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jefferson expect his slave to learn while in France?
(a) The fine art of French cookery.
(b) To become fluent in French.
(c) How to be obedient.
(d) The fine art of French painting.
2. Who is raising Maria, known as Polly, Jefferson?
(a) Ben Franklin.
(b) John Adams.
(c) Slaves in Virginia.
(d) John Wales.
3. Who is reportedly the father of Sally Hemings?
(a) John Wales.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
4. How are Jefferson's actions towards slavery and his views of slavery contradictory?
(a) He believes slavery is immoral, yet he owns slaves.
(b) He abhors slavery, and he does not own slaves.
(c) He promotes slavery and owns slaves.
(d) He believes that slavery is an acceptable practice, yet he does not own slaves.
5. What does Ellis call flexibility and others might call hypocrisy?
(a) His relationship with women other than his wife.
(b) His relationship with King George III.
(c) Jefferson's dexterity to tailor his writings for a specific audience.
(d) His opinion on slavery.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he is elected president, what does George Washington offer Jefferson?
2. How does Jefferson arrive in Paris?
3. What governmental position does Alexander Hamilton hold?
4. Of what does Ellis feel it is unfair to accuse a man of Jefferson's time regarding women?
5. How does Ellis feel about presentism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jefferson do with his companions once they arrive in France?
2. What do Patsy and Polly have in common?
3. What three articles is he known for writing?
4. Where is the relationship between Jefferson and Hemings a topic?
5. Why does Jefferson hate Alexander Hamilton so much?
6. What is the author's opinion about Bill Clinton's behavior with Monica Lewinsky?
7. What impression does Jefferson's arrival in Paris give the French?
8. What is Jefferson's ideal Utopian society?
9. Why is Jefferson claimed by many individuals with opposing beliefs?
10. What do Polly and her mother have in common?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)