|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Ozzy makes the spectators admit while standing on the roof?
2. How does the monkey die in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
3. Who tells Gil that Galven Ile is a murderer?
4. What question does the young man ask the older woman at the doctor's office at the end of "The Story of a Scar"?
5. How often did the narrator's father lose money when he was gambling in "The Lover of Horses"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story "The Misfits," how does Gay Langland feel about relationships?
2. What does Ozzy demand of his spectators in the story "The Conversation of the Jews"?
3. Who do Galven and Poma almost break up in the story "Ile's Forest"?
4. How does the grandmother react when face-to-face with the killer she read about in the newspapers?
5. What lie did James tell his fellow bus riders in the story "The Liar"?
6. Why doesn't the grandmother want to go on vacation with her family in the story "A Good Man is Hard to Find"?
7. What happens when the monkey goes wild aboard the ship in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
8. What happens after David accidentally shoots his father in the leg in the story "Walking Out"?
9. What happens to Jancy on her drive to visit with her boyfriend in the story "The Heavenly Animal"?
10. How does a monkey end up aboard ship in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story "Fever," Carlyle has three main women in his life who play a part in helping him heal from his "sickness." Describe the sickness that Carlyle suffers from in his story. Choose two of the important women in his life and describe their role in helping him heal. What is the same about their methods of care? What is different? Describe how Carlyle emerged from his sickness, and what he learned about his life and relationships while he was ill. Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The story "The Lover of Horses" is a story about obsessions. First, create a list of the obsessions present in the family of the narrator. Which of these obsessions do you think is most harmful to the family's function? Why? Choose one of the obsessions from your list and explain how it leads to heartache for some characters, and a sense of grandeur for others. Finally, explain how the narrator is able to succumb to her own obsessions only as a method of letting her father go. Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In the story "The Misfits," Gay is a man who cannot commit to anything for a long period of time. Describe Gay's character and explain why he a fear of commitment. Choose one relationship in Gay's life and explain how his fear of commitment affected that relationship. Finally, describe the relationship between Gay and Perce. What brings these two men closer together? What threatens to tear them apart? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)