|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following boys is NOT present in the story "Murderers"?
2. What animal has the fisherman brought with him during the trip to keep the threesome company in "The Ledge"?
3. In "Murderers," whose house do the young boys snoop in"?
4. How does the monkey react when the captain looks him straight in the eyes in "Letters from the Samantha"?
5. What does the son of the Cove's founder claim to have seen on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jancy on her drive to visit with her boyfriend in the story "The Heavenly Animal"?
2. What type of hunting experience does the fisherman and his boys have in the story "The Ledge"?
3. How does a monkey end up aboard ship in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
4. Why doesn't the grandmother want to go on vacation with her family in the story "A Good Man is Hard to Find"?
5. What does Ozzy demand of his spectators in the story "The Conversation of the Jews"?
6. Why does the rabbi call the young boys "Murderers!" in the story of the same name?
7. Who do Galven and Poma almost break up in the story "Ile's Forest"?
8. How does the monkey die in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
9. What lie did James tell his fellow bus riders in the story "The Liar"?
10. Why don't roommates Henry and Osmond get along in the story "The Christian Roommates"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story "The Misfits," Gay is a man who cannot commit to anything for a long period of time. Describe Gay's character and explain why he a fear of commitment. Choose one relationship in Gay's life and explain how his fear of commitment affected that relationship. Finally, describe the relationship between Gay and Perce. What brings these two men closer together? What threatens to tear them apart? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The story "Bystander" is a reflection of fatherhood as seen through the eyes of Arty and his relationship with his father, Lewis. First, describe the relationship Arty had with his father in his childhood. Then, compare that to the relationship he has with his father in adulthood. Explain why Arty feels like a "Bystander" in his relationship with his father and why, even though he feels inactive. Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
"Water Liars" expresses the relationship between truth and story telling. Choose one of the stories that the men told on Farte's Pier and express whether or not you believe the story to be true and why. Why do the men on the pier continue to tell the story? What message is sent to the reader about the value of truth, or lack thereof, in a good story? How do the stories told at Farte's Pier help the narrator cope with his personal problems? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)