|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following men does Gay believe is having an affair with his wife?
2. What animal attacks David while he is going for a drink of water at the lake?
3. What fierce storm tore up the land, causing the monkey to become adrift in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
4. What religion does Leo Finkle practice in the story "The Magic Barrel"?
5. Who tells Gil that Galven Ile is a murderer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gil make his way to Galven's house in the story "Ile's Forest," and what is his greeting there?
2. How does the fisherman die in the story "The Ledge"?
3. What instrument does Jack Hawthorne learn to play in the story "Redemption," and why?
4. Who is Arnold Friend in the story "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?"
5. How does a monkey end up aboard ship in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
6. What type of relationship does the narrator have with her dead son in the story "Dream Children"?
7. How does David Hawthorne die in the story "Redemption," and what is his family's reaction?
8. In the story "The Misfits," how does Gay Langland feel about relationships?
9. What happens when the monkey goes wild aboard the ship in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
10. Why did Sam's ex-wives walk out on him in the story "The Wedding"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story "The Misfits," Gay is a man who cannot commit to anything for a long period of time. Describe Gay's character and explain why he a fear of commitment. Choose one relationship in Gay's life and explain how his fear of commitment affected that relationship. Finally, describe the relationship between Gay and Perce. What brings these two men closer together? What threatens to tear them apart? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In the story "The Amish Farmer," Vance, a teacher, attempts to tell a story to his students to explain point-of-view. First, describe the story that Vance tells his students. How does Vance believe this story shows point-of-view narration? Do you agree with Vance? Why or why not? Then, describe Vance's students' reaction to his story. How does the reaction from the students exemplify Vance's lesson for the readers? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The story "Bystander" is a reflection of fatherhood as seen through the eyes of Arty and his relationship with his father, Lewis. First, describe the relationship Arty had with his father in his childhood. Then, compare that to the relationship he has with his father in adulthood. Explain why Arty feels like a "Bystander" in his relationship with his father and why, even though he feels inactive. Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)