|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is David in the story "Walking Out"?
2. Which of the following people punches Ozzy in the nose in the story "Conversation of the Jews"?
3. What instrument does Jack learn to play as a way of coping with his brother's death?
4. In the story "The Misfits," what does Gay Langland do for a living?
5. In which of the following landscapes is the story "The Misfits" told?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a monkey end up aboard ship in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
2. How did the older woman in "The Story of a Scar" get the scar on her face?
3. What instrument does Jack Hawthorne learn to play in the story "Redemption," and why?
4. Why does Gil make his way to Galven's house in the story "Ile's Forest," and what is his greeting there?
5. Who is Arnold Friend in the story "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?"
6. What happens after David accidentally shoots his father in the leg in the story "Walking Out"?
7. What stories do the old men from the cove tell the narrator in the story "Water Liars"?
8. Why doesn't the grandmother want to go on vacation with her family in the story "A Good Man is Hard to Find"?
9. What type of relationship does the narrator have with her dead son in the story "Dream Children"?
10. How does the narrator react when her father falls ill in "The Lover of Horses"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story "A Good Man is Hard to Find," the grandmother has an obsession with one article of clothing. First, describe that article of clothing and explain why it is so important to the grandmother. What does the grandmother think this item of clothing represents? Then, explain what happens to this article of clothing as the story progresses. How does the change in the clothing item represent the emotional and moral changes occurring in the grandmother's character? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
"The Christian Roommates" is the story of two young men who come together in college and end up changing each others lives irrevocably. First, describe the two roommates, Orson and Henry. What is the same about these two young men? What is different about them? Then, choose at least two arguments the two roommates got into during their time together at Harvard. How did these arguments affect their friendship? Finally, choose one of the two roommates and explain what happened to them after graduation. How was their life irrevocably altered by the roommate they spent time with at Harvard? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
"Letters from the Samantha" tells the tale of a sea captain and his relationship with a giant ape. First, describe how the sea captain first came in contact with the giant ape and what his first response of the animal was. Then, explain why the captain's opinion of the giant ape suddenly changed? How did the relationship between the captain and the ape finally end? Which individual proved to have more menacing animal instincts? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)