|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which of the following landscapes is the story "The Misfits" told?
2. With whom is the narrator having problems at the time he escapes to the cove in "Water Liars"?
3. On what holiday does the fisherman take his son and nephew out into the water to shoot ducks?
4. What type of books most interest the narrator in the story "Dream Children"?
5. What question does the young man ask the older woman at the doctor's office at the end of "The Story of a Scar"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator react when her father falls ill in "The Lover of Horses"?
2. Why did Sam's ex-wives walk out on him in the story "The Wedding"?
3. How does the monkey die in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
4. What type of hunting experience does the fisherman and his boys have in the story "The Ledge"?
5. In the story "The Misfits," how does Gay Langland feel about relationships?
6. How did the older woman in "The Story of a Scar" get the scar on her face?
7. Who do Galven and Poma almost break up in the story "Ile's Forest"?
8. How is the narrator viewed by the townsfolk in the story "Dream Children"?
9. What does Ozzy demand of his spectators in the story "The Conversation of the Jews"?
10. Why doesn't the grandmother want to go on vacation with her family in the story "A Good Man is Hard to Find"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story "Redemption," Dale and Jack deal with David's death in different ways. Describe what the relationship between these two characters was like before David's death and compare it to what their relationship is like after David's death. How did each of these men cope with their loss? Explain how Jack eventually found "redemption" for his emotions. How did this sense of redemption affect his relationship with Dale? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
"Water Liars" expresses the relationship between truth and story telling. Choose one of the stories that the men told on Farte's Pier and express whether or not you believe the story to be true and why. Why do the men on the pier continue to tell the story? What message is sent to the reader about the value of truth, or lack thereof, in a good story? How do the stories told at Farte's Pier help the narrator cope with his personal problems? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Many critics have claimed that the story "Willi" is a cautionary tale against the danger of infidelity. Describe the situation through which infidelity is introduced into this story. Create a list of emotions generated by the characters in this story after the infidelity is revealed. Explain whether you agree with the critics who claim this story to be a cautionary tale and explain why. Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your argument.
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)