Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following people punches Ozzy in the nose in the story "Conversation of the Jews"?
2. What group of people does the wife in "The Used-Boys Raisers" believe were put on earth to be "a thorn in the side of mankind"?
3. What is streaked on Jancy's car after the accident, which makes her think about her father?
4. What animal attacks David while he is going for a drink of water at the lake?
5. With whom is the narrator having problems at the time he escapes to the cove in "Water Liars"?
Essay Topic 1
"Letters from the Samantha" tells the tale of a sea captain and his relationship with a giant ape. First, describe how the sea captain first came in contact with the giant ape and what his first response of the animal was. Then, explain why the captain's opinion of the giant ape suddenly changed? How did the relationship between the captain and the ape finally end? Which individual proved to have more menacing animal instincts? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In the story "Weekend," age becomes a factor in the relationships George forms. First, describe the women that George has a tendency to get romantically involved with. Where does he meet these women? What does their age difference tend to be? Explain the ways that George medicates himself through romantic relationships. What else does George depend on to make himself feel good about the age differences in his love life? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The story "Bystander" is a reflection of fatherhood as seen through the eyes of Arty and his relationship with his father, Lewis. First, describe the relationship Arty had with his father in his childhood. Then, compare that to the relationship he has with his father in adulthood. Explain why Arty feels like a "Bystander" in his relationship with his father and why, even though he feels inactive. Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)