|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story, "A Good Man is Hard to Find," where is the family planning to travel to for vacation?
2. Which of the following people punches Ozzy in the nose in the story "Conversation of the Jews"?
3. In "The Ledge," which of the following adjectives would the wife use to describe her husband?
4. Who tells Gil that Galven Ile is a murderer?
5. What animal does Jancy hit with her car on her drive to visit with her boyfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strains threaten to ruin the marriage of Leroy Moffitt and Norma Jean in the story "Shiloh"?
2. Why doesn't the grandmother want to go on vacation with her family in the story "A Good Man is Hard to Find"?
3. How does a monkey end up aboard ship in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
4. How does the monkey die in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
5. What type of obsessions affect the narrator's family in "The Lover of Horses"?
6. What instrument does Jack Hawthorne learn to play in the story "Redemption," and why?
7. How is the narrator viewed by the townsfolk in the story "Dream Children"?
8. What happens after David accidentally shoots his father in the leg in the story "Walking Out"?
9. What type of relationship does the narrator have with her dead son in the story "Dream Children"?
10. Why don't roommates Henry and Osmond get along in the story "The Christian Roommates"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Shiloh" is yet another tale of a couple torn apart by the loss of their child. First, describe how Leroy and Norma's child died and what each of their reactions was to this loss. Describe how the loss of a child affected Norman and Lyle's marriage. What does Lyle want for and from Norma? What does Norma want for and from Lyle? At the end of the story, do you think there is hope for Norma and Lyle making their marriage work? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In the story "The Misfits," Gay is a man who cannot commit to anything for a long period of time. Describe Gay's character and explain why he a fear of commitment. Choose one relationship in Gay's life and explain how his fear of commitment affected that relationship. Finally, describe the relationship between Gay and Perce. What brings these two men closer together? What threatens to tear them apart? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The story "Bystander" is a reflection of fatherhood as seen through the eyes of Arty and his relationship with his father, Lewis. First, describe the relationship Arty had with his father in his childhood. Then, compare that to the relationship he has with his father in adulthood. Explain why Arty feels like a "Bystander" in his relationship with his father and why, even though he feels inactive. Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,205 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)