|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leo Finkle hire Pinye Salzman to help him do?
2. How does the monkey react when the captain looks him straight in the eyes in "Letters from the Samantha"?
3. In the story "The Liar," in what country does James say he works with young children?
4. What type of travel does the narrator in "Dream Children" believe in?
5. How does Jack Hawthorne accidentally kill his brother in the story "Redemption"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the fisherman die in the story "The Ledge"?
2. What lie did James tell his fellow bus riders in the story "The Liar"?
3. What type of obsessions affect the narrator's family in "The Lover of Horses"?
4. How does the monkey die in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
5. What stories do the old men from the cove tell the narrator in the story "Water Liars"?
6. What type of relationship does the narrator have with her dead son in the story "Dream Children"?
7. In the story "The Misfits," how does Gay Langland feel about relationships?
8. What happens when the monkey goes wild aboard the ship in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
9. How does David Hawthorne die in the story "Redemption," and what is his family's reaction?
10. Why doesn't the grandmother want to go on vacation with her family in the story "A Good Man is Hard to Find"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Christian Roommates" is the story of two young men who come together in college and end up changing each others lives irrevocably. First, describe the two roommates, Orson and Henry. What is the same about these two young men? What is different about them? Then, choose at least two arguments the two roommates got into during their time together at Harvard. How did these arguments affect their friendship? Finally, choose one of the two roommates and explain what happened to them after graduation. How was their life irrevocably altered by the roommate they spent time with at Harvard? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In the story "The Misfits," Gay is a man who cannot commit to anything for a long period of time. Describe Gay's character and explain why he a fear of commitment. Choose one relationship in Gay's life and explain how his fear of commitment affected that relationship. Finally, describe the relationship between Gay and Perce. What brings these two men closer together? What threatens to tear them apart? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
"Shiloh" is yet another tale of a couple torn apart by the loss of their child. First, describe how Leroy and Norma's child died and what each of their reactions was to this loss. Describe how the loss of a child affected Norman and Lyle's marriage. What does Lyle want for and from Norma? What does Norma want for and from Lyle? At the end of the story, do you think there is hope for Norma and Lyle making their marriage work? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)