|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often did the narrator's father lose money when he was gambling in "The Lover of Horses"?
2. What is the name of Gay's wife in the story "The Misfits"?
3. How did Norma Jean and Leroy's baby die?
4. How does the monkey react when the captain looks him straight in the eyes in "Letters from the Samantha"?
5. What animal does Jancy hit with her car on her drive to visit with her boyfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator react when her father falls ill in "The Lover of Horses"?
2. What type of relationship does the narrator have with her dead son in the story "Dream Children"?
3. Why don't roommates Henry and Osmond get along in the story "The Christian Roommates"?
4. How does the fisherman die in the story "The Ledge"?
5. What happens after David accidentally shoots his father in the leg in the story "Walking Out"?
6. What happens to Jancy on her drive to visit with her boyfriend in the story "The Heavenly Animal"?
7. What lie did James tell his fellow bus riders in the story "The Liar"?
8. Why did Sam's ex-wives walk out on him in the story "The Wedding"?
9. How does the grandmother react when face-to-face with the killer she read about in the newspapers?
10. Why does Gil make his way to Galven's house in the story "Ile's Forest," and what is his greeting there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story "The Misfits," Gay is a man who cannot commit to anything for a long period of time. Describe Gay's character and explain why he a fear of commitment. Choose one relationship in Gay's life and explain how his fear of commitment affected that relationship. Finally, describe the relationship between Gay and Perce. What brings these two men closer together? What threatens to tear them apart? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
"Shiloh" is yet another tale of a couple torn apart by the loss of their child. First, describe how Leroy and Norma's child died and what each of their reactions was to this loss. Describe how the loss of a child affected Norman and Lyle's marriage. What does Lyle want for and from Norma? What does Norma want for and from Lyle? At the end of the story, do you think there is hope for Norma and Lyle making their marriage work? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The story "The Wedding" is all about loneliness. First, describe the loneliness of Sam, Elizabeth, and the child. What is the same about their loneliness? What is different? Describe the relationship between Elizabeth's loneliness and her passion for reading. How do these two seemingly unrelated things affect each other? Finally, describe how loneliness brought Sam and Elizabeth together in marriage. In the end, do you think the couple was settling, or were they truly in love? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)