|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the first babysitter Carlyle hires?
2. What was Sarah doing at the time she disappeared?
3. What is the name of Noel's wife in the story "The Amish Farmer"?
4. Which of the following alcoholic beverages is Sonny's drink of choice?
5. What fears does Arty have about his emotions before meeting with his father at the mental hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Daniel aggressively attack Noel in the story "The Amish Farmer"?
2. What reason does Raymond Carver give about why he wanted to compose this collection of short stories?
3. What interesting behavior does Damaso exhibit while in town in the story "The Fisherman From Chihuahua"?
4. What unfortunate site does Willi witness in the story of the same name, and how does the young boy react to what he's seen?
5. How does Pendleton react to the newcomer in his restaurant in the story "The Fisherman From Chihuahua"?
6. What is Sean's married life like?
7. Why has Earl taken to the road in "Rock Springs" and who does he take with him?
8. How does Arty's father react when his son comes for a visit at the mental institution in the story "The Bystander"?
9. How does Louise's husband react when Louise gains weight during her pregnancy?
10. What type of relationship does Louise have with her mother in the story "The Fat Girl"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story "The Misfits," Gay is a man who cannot commit to anything for a long period of time. Describe Gay's character and explain why he a fear of commitment. Choose one relationship in Gay's life and explain how his fear of commitment affected that relationship. Finally, describe the relationship between Gay and Perce. What brings these two men closer together? What threatens to tear them apart? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Story of a Scar," the young man listening to the older woman's story constantly heckles the story and judges the woman before its completion. Choose at least two examples of moments in which the young man judged the older woman. What assumptions did he make about her before she had finished her story? Did his assumptions turn out to be true? Explain why or why not. Finally, describe how the young man reacted when the older woman's story was complete. Had his opinion of the woman changed or did it remain the same? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe help to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The story "Where are You Going, Where Have You Been?" is full of moments when reality and fantasy intermix, particularly in the mind of Connie. Describe the fantasy Connie has about love and compare that to the reality of the romance present in her young life. Then, describe the fantasy Connie creates about Arnold Friend and compare it to the reality of who he really is. Finally, explain the way that Connie's experiences with Arnold, either real or imagined, affected the way she views the world. Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)