Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Willi react when he hears his father beating his mother at night?
2. What possession does the narrator in the story "1/3, 1/3, 1/3" have that is tantalizing to his neighbor woman?
3. To which of the following ancient tribes is the gypsy compared in the story "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
4. During what type of weather does the girl remember feeding birds with her father in the story, "Verona"?
5. In the story "Willi," where does Willi live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pendleton react to the newcomer in his restaurant in the story "The Fisherman From Chihuahua"?
2. Why is Willi Varig hired to tell his story to an audience of people in the story, "Talk of Heroes"?
3. What arrangement is struck-up between the three destitute characters in the story "1/3, 1/3, 1/3"?
4. How does Eileen react to the news of Carlyle's illness in the story "Fever"?
5. Why doesn't the grandmother want to go on vacation with her family in the story "A Good Man is Hard to Find"?
6. What type of obsessions affect the narrator's family in "The Lover of Horses"?
7. What part about Arty's life made him feel like a "Bystander"?
8. What is Carlyle's life like at the opening of the story "Fever"?
9. What happens when Sean is trapped in an elevator in the story "Midair"?
10. Why does Daniel aggressively attack Noel in the story "The Amish Farmer"?
In the story "Weekend," age becomes a factor in the relationships George forms. First, describe the women that George has a tendency to get romantically involved with. Where does he meet these women? What does their age difference tend to be? Explain the ways that George medicates himself through romantic relationships. What else does George depend on to make himself feel good about the age differences in his love life? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
In the story "The Misfits," Gay is a man who cannot commit to anything for a long period of time. Describe Gay's character and explain why he a fear of commitment. Choose one relationship in Gay's life and explain how his fear of commitment affected that relationship. Finally, describe the relationship between Gay and Perce. What brings these two men closer together? What threatens to tear them apart? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
"The Christian Roommates" is the story of two young men who come together in college and end up changing each others lives irrevocably. First, describe the two roommates, Orson and Henry. What is the same about these two young men? What is different about them? Then, choose at least two arguments the two roommates got into during their time together at Harvard. How did these arguments affect their friendship? Finally, choose one of the two roommates and explain what happened to them after graduation. How was their life irrevocably altered by the roommate they spent time with at Harvard? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)