Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following examples is NOT a way that Push attempts to show dominance over John Williams?
2. How does Willi react when he hears his father beating his mother at night?
3. Which of the following is NOT a way that Louise reacts when she begins to gain weight during her pregnancy?
4. Which of the following facts is true about Eugene Kraft in "A Poetic for Bullies"?
5. What act of affection do Lewis and Arty share before Arty leaves his father alone in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the fisherman die in the story "The Ledge"?
2. What prompts the narrator in "Sonny's Blues" to reach out to his incarcerated brother?
3. What stories do the old men from the cove tell the narrator in the story "Water Liars"?
4. What type of relationship does the narrator have with her dead son in the story "Dream Children"?
5. What is Carlyle's life like at the opening of the story "Fever"?
6. How does Pendleton react to the newcomer in his restaurant in the story "The Fisherman From Chihuahua"?
7. How does Willie's father react when Willi tells him what he witnessed in the barn?
8. What type of relationship does Louise have with her mother in the story "The Fat Girl"?
9. Why doesn't the grandmother want to go on vacation with her family in the story "A Good Man is Hard to Find"?
10. How does the grandmother react when face-to-face with the killer she read about in the newspapers?
Essay Topic 1
In "The Story of a Scar," the young man listening to the older woman's story constantly heckles the story and judges the woman before its completion. Choose at least two examples of moments in which the young man judged the older woman. What assumptions did he make about her before she had finished her story? Did his assumptions turn out to be true? Explain why or why not. Finally, describe how the young man reacted when the older woman's story was complete. Had his opinion of the woman changed or did it remain the same? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe help to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In the story "Redemption," Dale and Jack deal with David's death in different ways. Describe what the relationship between these two characters was like before David's death and compare it to what their relationship is like after David's death. How did each of these men cope with their loss? Explain how Jack eventually found "redemption" for his emotions. How did this sense of redemption affect his relationship with Dale? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In the story "Weekend," age becomes a factor in the relationships George forms. First, describe the women that George has a tendency to get romantically involved with. Where does he meet these women? What does their age difference tend to be? Explain the ways that George medicates himself through romantic relationships. What else does George depend on to make himself feel good about the age differences in his love life? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,287 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)