|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What act of affection do Lewis and Arty share before Arty leaves his father alone in the hospital?
2. What does Lewis ask Arty to be sure his aunt won't sell while Lewis is locked away?
3. Who is responsible for finding Mrs. Webster, Carlyle's future babysitter?
4. Who is the co-editor of this collection along with Tom Jenks?
5. What is the nationality of the authors in this collection?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of relationship does Louise have with her mother in the story "The Fat Girl"?
2. What is Carlyle's life like at the opening of the story "Fever"?
3. What part about Arty's life made him feel like a "Bystander"?
4. What unfortunate site does Willi witness in the story of the same name, and how does the young boy react to what he's seen?
5. How does Willie's father react when Willi tells him what he witnessed in the barn?
6. What memory does Sean have of his father from when he was a 6 year old boy in the story "Midair"?
7. Who is Push in the story "A Poetic for Bullies," and who is his sidekick?
8. How does Arty's father react when his son comes for a visit at the mental institution in the story "The Bystander"?
9. What interesting behavior does Damaso exhibit while in town in the story "The Fisherman From Chihuahua"?
10. What reason does Raymond Carver give about why he wanted to compose this collection of short stories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story "Bystander" is a reflection of fatherhood as seen through the eyes of Arty and his relationship with his father, Lewis. First, describe the relationship Arty had with his father in his childhood. Then, compare that to the relationship he has with his father in adulthood. Explain why Arty feels like a "Bystander" in his relationship with his father and why, even though he feels inactive. Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The story "Ile Forest," centers around one singular crime and the idea of man judging another man, or absolving him of his crimes. First, describe the crime that was committed in Ile's Forest. Who was involved? What was the outcome of the crime? Choose two characters from Ile's present life and describe how these two characters judged Ile for his crime. Were they willing to forgive him? Why or why not? In the end, do you think justice was served to Ile for his crimes? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text that you strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In the story "The Misfits," Gay is a man who cannot commit to anything for a long period of time. Describe Gay's character and explain why he a fear of commitment. Choose one relationship in Gay's life and explain how his fear of commitment affected that relationship. Finally, describe the relationship between Gay and Perce. What brings these two men closer together? What threatens to tear them apart? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)