|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a way that Louise reacts when she begins to gain weight during her pregnancy?
2. In the story "Rock Springs," why does Earl find himself on the run?
3. In "Verona," how does the mother in the story react when she sees her husband feeding birds with their daughter?
4. What is the gypsy's name in "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
5. What news does Arty receive about his father on the first day he visits him in the mental institution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of authors did Jenks and Carver seek to publish in this short story collection?
2. Why doesn't Push like John Williams, and what does he do about it?
3. What is Earl's first impression of the town Rock Springs?
4. What type of relationship does Louise have with her mother in the story "The Fat Girl"?
5. What interesting behavior does Damaso exhibit while in town in the story "The Fisherman From Chihuahua"?
6. What pleasant memory does the young girl from the story "Verona" have about her father from her childhood?
7. Why does Daniel aggressively attack Noel in the story "The Amish Farmer"?
8. What is Sean's married life like?
9. How does Eileen react to the news of Carlyle's illness in the story "Fever"?
10. What type of relationship does George have with his ex-students?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story "The Lover of Horses" is a story about obsessions. First, create a list of the obsessions present in the family of the narrator. Which of these obsessions do you think is most harmful to the family's function? Why? Choose one of the obsessions from your list and explain how it leads to heartache for some characters, and a sense of grandeur for others. Finally, explain how the narrator is able to succumb to her own obsessions only as a method of letting her father go. Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
"Water Liars" expresses the relationship between truth and story telling. Choose one of the stories that the men told on Farte's Pier and express whether or not you believe the story to be true and why. Why do the men on the pier continue to tell the story? What message is sent to the reader about the value of truth, or lack thereof, in a good story? How do the stories told at Farte's Pier help the narrator cope with his personal problems? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
"The Fat Girl" is a story of a woman who struggles with every relationship in her life, from her relationship with others to her relationship with herself. Describe why Louise struggles to love herself. Describe what steps Louise takes to better her life and the outcome of these attempts. Explain how Louise's struggles for love and acceptance rear their head again once she is married and has become a mother. What does Louise give up in order to find herself again? What is Louise's emotional journey? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your argument.
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)