|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what type of weather does the girl remember feeding birds with her father in the story, "Verona"?
2. What problem does the cab driver claim plagues the town of Rock Springs?
3. With whom does Willi accidentally witness his mother having an affair?
4. In the story "Fever," what is Carlyle's relationship status?
5. How does Sean react when he gets stuck in the elevator with the young man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sonny blame his heroin addiction on?
2. How does Pendleton react to the newcomer in his restaurant in the story "The Fisherman From Chihuahua"?
3. What type of relationship does Louise have with her mother in the story "The Fat Girl"?
4. What arrangement is struck-up between the three destitute characters in the story "1/3, 1/3, 1/3"?
5. What pleasant memory does the young girl from the story "Verona" have about her father from her childhood?
6. What type of relationship does George have with his ex-students?
7. Who is Push in the story "A Poetic for Bullies," and who is his sidekick?
8. Why does Vance tell the story of "The Amish Farmer" to his high school English class?
9. What unfortunate site does Willi witness in the story of the same name, and how does the young boy react to what he's seen?
10. How does Arty's father react when his son comes for a visit at the mental institution in the story "The Bystander"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Story of a Scar," the young man listening to the older woman's story constantly heckles the story and judges the woman before its completion. Choose at least two examples of moments in which the young man judged the older woman. What assumptions did he make about her before she had finished her story? Did his assumptions turn out to be true? Explain why or why not. Finally, describe how the young man reacted when the older woman's story was complete. Had his opinion of the woman changed or did it remain the same? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe help to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The story "The Wedding" is all about loneliness. First, describe the loneliness of Sam, Elizabeth, and the child. What is the same about their loneliness? What is different? Describe the relationship between Elizabeth's loneliness and her passion for reading. How do these two seemingly unrelated things affect each other? Finally, describe how loneliness brought Sam and Elizabeth together in marriage. In the end, do you think the couple was settling, or were they truly in love? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In the story "The Amish Farmer," Vance, a teacher, attempts to tell a story to his students to explain point-of-view. First, describe the story that Vance tells his students. How does Vance believe this story shows point-of-view narration? Do you agree with Vance? Why or why not? Then, describe Vance's students' reaction to his story. How does the reaction from the students exemplify Vance's lesson for the readers? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)