|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what country is the man who comes to the restaurant in Pendleton's town and eats alone?
2. Which of the following adjectives would Sean use to describe his work life?
3. Which of the following examples is NOT a way that Push attempts to show dominance over John Williams?
4. What does Lewis complain about during his meeting with Arty?
5. Which of the following facts is NOT true of John Williams?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of authors did Jenks and Carver seek to publish in this short story collection?
2. Why has Earl taken to the road in "Rock Springs" and who does he take with him?
3. What type of relationship does Louise have with her mother in the story "The Fat Girl"?
4. What happens when Sean is trapped in an elevator in the story "Midair"?
5. How does Pendleton react to the newcomer in his restaurant in the story "The Fisherman From Chihuahua"?
6. What reaction does the narrator have when watching Sonny play his music in the story "Sonny's Blues"?
7. What does Sonny blame his heroin addiction on?
8. Why does Vance tell the story of "The Amish Farmer" to his high school English class?
9. What type of relationship does Carlyle form with Mrs. Webster in the story "Fever"?
10. What memory does Sean have of his father from when he was a 6 year old boy in the story "Midair"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story "The Misfits," Gay is a man who cannot commit to anything for a long period of time. Describe Gay's character and explain why he a fear of commitment. Choose one relationship in Gay's life and explain how his fear of commitment affected that relationship. Finally, describe the relationship between Gay and Perce. What brings these two men closer together? What threatens to tear them apart? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In the story "Weekend," age becomes a factor in the relationships George forms. First, describe the women that George has a tendency to get romantically involved with. Where does he meet these women? What does their age difference tend to be? Explain the ways that George medicates himself through romantic relationships. What else does George depend on to make himself feel good about the age differences in his love life? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In the story "Redemption," Dale and Jack deal with David's death in different ways. Describe what the relationship between these two characters was like before David's death and compare it to what their relationship is like after David's death. How did each of these men cope with their loss? Explain how Jack eventually found "redemption" for his emotions. How did this sense of redemption affect his relationship with Dale? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)