|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group of people does the wife in "The Used-Boys Raisers" believe were put on earth to be "a thorn in the side of mankind"?
2. What does the son of the Cove's founder claim to have seen on the island?
3. How many ducks do the fisherman and his boys shoot during their first attempt on their trip?
(a) 7 ducks.
(b) 17 ducks.
(c) 27 ducks.
4. What is the name of the captain who pulls the monkey from the water in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
5. What did the narrator's mother most love about the narrator's father in the story "The Lover of Horses"?
(a) His determination.
(b) His financial support.
(c) His caring heart.
(d) His physical attractiveness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Jack learn to play as a way of coping with his brother's death?
2. What color are the monkey's eyes in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
3. In the story "Akhnilo," how many words does Eddie Fenn believe he can hear being whispered in the wind?
4. What do the townsfolk in the story "Dream Children" think the narrator does recklessly?
5. Which of the following adjectives best describes Arnold Friend's relationship with Connie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the narrator viewed by the townsfolk in the story "Dream Children"?
2. How does the grandmother react when face-to-face with the killer she read about in the newspapers?
3. What happens to Jancy on her drive to visit with her boyfriend in the story "The Heavenly Animal"?
4. Why doesn't the grandmother want to go on vacation with her family in the story "A Good Man is Hard to Find"?
5. What lie did James tell his fellow bus riders in the story "The Liar"?
6. Why does Gil make his way to Galven's house in the story "Ile's Forest," and what is his greeting there?
7. What stories do the old men from the cove tell the narrator in the story "Water Liars"?
8. Why does the rabbi call the young boys "Murderers!" in the story of the same name?
9. How did the older woman in "The Story of a Scar" get the scar on her face?
10. In the story "The Misfits," how does Gay Langland feel about relationships?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)