|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which of the following landscapes is the story "The Misfits" told?
(a) In the mountains.
(b) In the prairie.
(c) In a desert.
(d) In a swamp.
2. What does the narrator's father hope to accomplish by playing cards in the story "The Lover of Horses"?
(a) Saving his family's house.
(b) Cheating death.
(c) Dying with dignity.
(d) Winning a fortune.
3. How does Jancy's father react when she tells him that she is driving to visit with her boyfriend?
(a) He is hurt.
(b) He is pleased.
(c) He is worried.
(d) He is confused.
4. Which of the following facts about Leroy's wife, Norma Jean, is NOT true?
(a) She exercises daily.
(b) She eats healthy food.
(c) She inherited a large sum of money.
(d) She takes classes to better herself.
5. What is the name of the captain who pulls the monkey from the water in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Norma Jean do, that gives the reader hope that she and Leroy may mend their relationship and end up together?
2. What is streaked on Jancy's car after the accident, which makes her think about her father?
3. What part of David's body is injured during the animal attack?
4. On what holiday does the fisherman take his son and nephew out into the water to shoot ducks?
5. How often did the narrator's father lose money when he was gambling in "The Lover of Horses"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the fisherman die in the story "The Ledge"?
2. How did the older woman in "The Story of a Scar" get the scar on her face?
3. How is the narrator viewed by the townsfolk in the story "Dream Children"?
4. How does a monkey end up aboard ship in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
5. What instrument does Jack Hawthorne learn to play in the story "Redemption," and why?
6. What type of obsessions affect the narrator's family in "The Lover of Horses"?
7. What strains threaten to ruin the marriage of Leroy Moffitt and Norma Jean in the story "Shiloh"?
8. Why did Sam's ex-wives walk out on him in the story "The Wedding"?
9. What stories do the old men from the cove tell the narrator in the story "Water Liars"?
10. How does the monkey die in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)