|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Ozzy makes the spectators admit while standing on the roof?
(a) That hitting, even in the name of God, is wrong.
(b) That God can do anything.
(c) That Judaism is not the only religion that leads to salvation.
(d) That they believe in Jesus Christ.
2. What does the narrator's father hope to accomplish by playing cards in the story "The Lover of Horses"?
(a) Winning a fortune.
(b) Saving his family's house.
(c) Dying with dignity.
(d) Cheating death.
3. In the story "The Lover of Horses," what does the narrator's family do for a living?
(a) They are horse whisperers.
(b) They are horse breeders.
(c) They are horse wranglers.
(d) They are horse trainers.
4. How many husbands does the woman in "The Used-Boys Raisers" have?
(a) 3 husbands.
(b) 4 husbands.
(c) 2 husbands.
(d) 5 husbands.
5. What is the name of the captain who pulls the monkey from the water in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the townsfolk in the story "Dream Children" think the narrator does recklessly?
2. What does the narrator's husband in the story "Dream Children" do for a living?
3. How does Jack Hawthorne accidentally kill his brother in the story "Redemption"?
4. Why is the narrator of the story "Dream Children" considered uninteresting and melancholy?
5. How far does David carry his father on his back after accidentally shooting him in the leg?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the older woman in "The Story of a Scar" get the scar on her face?
2. How does the fisherman die in the story "The Ledge"?
3. What strains threaten to ruin the marriage of Leroy Moffitt and Norma Jean in the story "Shiloh"?
4. How does the monkey die in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
5. What happens after David accidentally shoots his father in the leg in the story "Walking Out"?
6. How does Leo Finkel meet his wife in "The Magic Barrel"?
7. How does David Hawthorne die in the story "Redemption," and what is his family's reaction?
8. How does a monkey end up aboard ship in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
9. What type of relationship does the narrator have with her dead son in the story "Dream Children"?
10. How does the grandmother react when face-to-face with the killer she read about in the newspapers?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)