|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much older is George than his wife?
(a) 11 years older.
(b) 31 years older.
(c) 41 years older.
(d) 21 years older.
2. Which of Louise's relations is most strict about her food intake in the story, "The Fat Girl"?
(a) No one monitors Louise's food intake.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her father.
3. How are Earl and Edna related?
(a) Edna is Earl's girlfriend.
(b) Edna is Earl's sister.
(c) Edna is Earl's cousin.
(d) Edna is Earl's mother.
4. How many people's lives did Willi help save thanks to his heroic efforts in WWII?
(a) 3 people's lives.
(b) 23 people's lives.
(c) 13 people's lives.
(d) 33 people's lives.
5. If Sonny could choose any of the following occupations for himself, which would he choose?
(c) Police Officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the opening of the story, how does Willi feel about his life?
2. How long had it been since the narrator saw Sonny before his arrest?
3. What does Louise's husband do for a living?
4. Who died, prompting the narrator to contact Sonny?
5. What drug was Sonny arrested for selling?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Louise's husband react when Louise gains weight during her pregnancy?
2. What type of relationship does George have with his ex-students?
3. Why is Willi Varig hired to tell his story to an audience of people in the story, "Talk of Heroes"?
4. What reason does Raymond Carver give about why he wanted to compose this collection of short stories?
5. How does Pendleton react to the newcomer in his restaurant in the story "The Fisherman From Chihuahua"?
6. What type of relationship does Louise have with her mother in the story "The Fat Girl"?
7. What unfortunate site does Willi witness in the story of the same name, and how does the young boy react to what he's seen?
8. What reaction does the narrator have when watching Sonny play his music in the story "Sonny's Blues"?
9. How does Arty react in the story "The Bystander" when his father is committed to a mental institution?
10. Who is Push in the story "A Poetic for Bullies," and who is his sidekick?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)