|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many stories are included in this collection?
(a) 16 stories.
(b) 36 stories.
(c) 26 stories.
(d) 46 stories.
2. Which of the following adjectives best describes Vance's student, Katie Jay, in the story, "The Amish Farmer"?
3. In the story, "Rock Springs," what handicap affects Terrel?
(a) Terrel does not have a handicap.
(b) He is mute.
(c) He is deaf.
(d) He is blind.
4. From what country is the man who comes to the restaurant in Pendleton's town and eats alone?
(a) He is Mexican.
(b) He is Argentinean.
(c) He is Columbian.
(d) He is Peruvian.
5. How old is Sean at the opening of "Midair"?
(a) 10 years old.
(b) 8 years old.
(c) 6 years old.
(d) 4 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the last person Sarah was with before she disappeared?
2. Which of the following adjectives would Sean use to describe his work life?
3. How are Sonny and the narrator related in "Sonny's Blues"?
4. What reason is Pendleton given for the gypsy's disappearance from town?
5. With whom does Willi accidentally witness his mother having an affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of relationship does Carlyle form with Mrs. Webster in the story "Fever"?
2. How does Eileen react to the news of Carlyle's illness in the story "Fever"?
3. Why does Vance tell the story of "The Amish Farmer" to his high school English class?
4. How does Willie's father react when Willi tells him what he witnessed in the barn?
5. What types of authors did Jenks and Carver seek to publish in this short story collection?
6. What unfortunate site does Willi witness in the story of the same name, and how does the young boy react to what he's seen?
7. Why has Earl taken to the road in "Rock Springs" and who does he take with him?
8. What reason does Raymond Carver give about why he wanted to compose this collection of short stories?
9. How does Pendleton react to the newcomer in his restaurant in the story "The Fisherman From Chihuahua"?
10. Why is Willi Varig hired to tell his story to an audience of people in the story, "Talk of Heroes"?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)