|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a way that Louise reacts when she begins to gain weight during her pregnancy?
(a) She starts wearing baggy clothes.
(b) She starts sneaking snacks.
(c) She starts excluding herself from social events.
(d) She starts writing in her food journal.
2. Who is the co-editor of this collection along with Tom Jenks?
(a) Junot Diaz.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) John Steinbeck.
(d) Raymond Carver.
3. In the story, "The Fisherman From Chihuahua," what type of business does Pendleton own?
(a) A tailor shop.
(b) A barber shop.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A car garage.
4. Who stands up for Willi Varig when he is too drunk to address the audience at the convention he had been hired to speak at?
(a) No one stands up for Willi.
(b) Emily's boss.
(c) Emily's daughter.
5. In which of the following New York City boroughs did Sonny grow up?
(a) Staten Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what country is the man who comes to the restaurant in Pendleton's town and eats alone?
2. How are Sonny and the narrator related in "Sonny's Blues"?
3. How many stories are included in this collection?
4. At the opening of the story, how does Willi feel about his life?
5. What is the name of Earl's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interesting behavior does Damaso exhibit while in town in the story "The Fisherman From Chihuahua"?
2. How does Willie's father react when Willi tells him what he witnessed in the barn?
3. Why does Daniel aggressively attack Noel in the story "The Amish Farmer"?
4. Why has Earl taken to the road in "Rock Springs" and who does he take with him?
5. How does Arty's father react when his son comes for a visit at the mental institution in the story "The Bystander"?
6. What is Sean's married life like?
7. What types of authors did Jenks and Carver seek to publish in this short story collection?
8. What reaction does the narrator have when watching Sonny play his music in the story "Sonny's Blues"?
9. What pleasant memory does the young girl from the story "Verona" have about her father from her childhood?
10. What is Carlyle's life like at the opening of the story "Fever"?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)