|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Emily's daughter in the story "Talk of Heroes"?
2. How does Willi react when he hears his father beating his mother at night?
(a) He phones the police.
(b) He attacks his father.
(c) He does nothing.
(d) He shouts at his mother.
3. What did the narrator and Sonny argue about while the narrator was on leave from the armed forces?
(a) The narrator's marriage.
(b) The war.
(c) Sonny's future.
(d) Who would pay a dinner tab.
4. What possession does the narrator in the story "1/3, 1/3, 1/3" have that is tantalizing to his neighbor woman?
(a) A tractor.
(b) A bathtub.
(c) A typewriter.
(d) A clothes iron.
5. What does Lewis ask Arty to be sure his aunt won't sell while Lewis is locked away?
(a) His books.
(b) His tools.
(c) His videos.
(d) His car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Noel's wife in the story "The Amish Farmer"?
2. In what year was the latest story in this collection published?
3. How much older is George than his wife?
4. Which of the following examples is NOT a way that Push attempts to show dominance over John Williams?
5. At the opening of the story, how does Willi feel about his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after David accidentally shoots his father in the leg in the story "Walking Out"?
2. What prompts the narrator in "Sonny's Blues" to reach out to his incarcerated brother?
3. What does Ozzy demand of his spectators in the story "The Conversation of the Jews"?
4. What type of obsessions affect the narrator's family in "The Lover of Horses"?
5. Why does Daniel aggressively attack Noel in the story "The Amish Farmer"?
6. What arrangement is struck-up between the three destitute characters in the story "1/3, 1/3, 1/3"?
7. What type of relationship does Carlyle form with Mrs. Webster in the story "Fever"?
8. Why has Earl taken to the road in "Rock Springs" and who does he take with him?
9. How does the fisherman die in the story "The Ledge"?
10. How does Arty react in the story "The Bystander" when his father is committed to a mental institution?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)