|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If Sonny could choose any of the following occupations for himself, which would he choose?
(c) Police Officer.
2. What country had John Williams been traveling in before settling in Push's neighborhood?
3. What terrible weather occurred when Sarah went missing?
4. What does Lewis complain about during his meeting with Arty?
(a) His health.
(b) The food.
(c) His scratchy bed sheets.
(d) His loud neighbor.
5. What problem does the cab driver claim plagues the town of Rock Springs?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following food items does Louise eat in front of her husband as an act of defiance?
2. How many stories are included in this collection?
3. How much older is George than his wife?
4. In which of the following New York City boroughs did Sonny grow up?
5. How does Louise's husband treat her when she begins to gain weight during pregnancy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Earl's first impression of the town Rock Springs?
2. What reaction does the narrator have when watching Sonny play his music in the story "Sonny's Blues"?
3. What reason does Raymond Carver give about why he wanted to compose this collection of short stories?
4. What interesting behavior does Damaso exhibit while in town in the story "The Fisherman From Chihuahua"?
5. What arrangement is struck-up between the three destitute characters in the story "1/3, 1/3, 1/3"?
6. What prompts the narrator in "Sonny's Blues" to reach out to his incarcerated brother?
7. What memory does Sean have of his father from when he was a 6 year old boy in the story "Midair"?
8. Why does Daniel aggressively attack Noel in the story "The Amish Farmer"?
9. What part about Arty's life made him feel like a "Bystander"?
10. What happens when Sean is trapped in an elevator in the story "Midair"?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)