|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the opening of the story, how does Willi feel about his life?
(a) He is bored by his life.
(b) He is confused in his life.
(c) He loves his life.
(d) He is terrified by his life.
2. Who died, prompting the narrator to contact Sonny?
(a) The narrator's son.
(b) The narrator's daughter.
(c) The narrator's father.
(d) The narrator's mother.
3. As an adult, which of the following facts about Sean is NOT true?
(a) He has two children.
(b) He is an alcoholic.
(c) He works as a teacher.
(d) He is having an affair.
4. How does Willi react when he hears his father beating his mother at night?
(a) He shouts at his mother.
(b) He does nothing.
(c) He phones the police.
(d) He attacks his father.
5. With whom does Willi accidentally witness his mother having an affair?
(a) His neighbor.
(b) His best friend's father.
(c) His teacher.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the genre of the stories the editors chose for this collection?
2. Which of the following facts is true about Eugene Kraft in "A Poetic for Bullies"?
3. Which of the following was NOT a way Louise's roommate uses to support Louise in her weight loss goals?
4. What prompts the gypsy man to raise his head and shout a war cry in the story, "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
5. When Sarah goes missing in the story "Weekend," how does Julie search for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Raymond Carver give about why he wanted to compose this collection of short stories?
2. What arrangement is struck-up between the three destitute characters in the story "1/3, 1/3, 1/3"?
3. What type of relationship does Louise have with her mother in the story "The Fat Girl"?
4. How does Arty's father react when his son comes for a visit at the mental institution in the story "The Bystander"?
5. Why does Vance tell the story of "The Amish Farmer" to his high school English class?
6. What memory does Sean have of his father from when he was a 6 year old boy in the story "Midair"?
7. What prompts the narrator in "Sonny's Blues" to reach out to his incarcerated brother?
8. How does Arty react in the story "The Bystander" when his father is committed to a mental institution?
9. How does Pendleton react to the newcomer in his restaurant in the story "The Fisherman From Chihuahua"?
10. What is Carlyle's life like at the opening of the story "Fever"?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)