|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story, "The Fisherman From Chihuahua," what type of business does Pendleton own?
(a) A car garage.
(b) A barber shop.
(c) A tailor shop.
(d) A restaurant.
2. What prompts the gypsy man to raise his head and shout a war cry in the story, "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
(a) A broadcast on television news.
(b) There is no reason for his war cry.
(c) The music on the radio.
(d) An article in the newspaper.
3. Which of the following food items does Louise eat in front of her husband as an act of defiance?
(a) A candy bar.
(b) An ice cream cone.
(c) A chocolate chip cookie.
(d) A piece of cake.
4. In the story "Sonny's Blues," what does the narrator do for a living?
(a) He is an artist.
(b) He is a lawyer.
(c) He is a teacher.
(d) He is unemployed.
5. How does Sean react when he gets stuck in the elevator with the young man?
(a) He panics.
(b) He becomes aggressive.
(c) He remains calm.
(d) He begins weeping.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which of the following New York City boroughs did Sonny grow up?
2. What is the name of Sean's sister?
3. Why has Emily's daughter come to stay with her?
4. What reason does George give to others who ask why his wife continues to stay with him?
5. How long had it been since the narrator saw Sonny before his arrest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Push like John Williams, and what does he do about it?
2. Who is Push in the story "A Poetic for Bullies," and who is his sidekick?
3. What prompts the narrator in "Sonny's Blues" to reach out to his incarcerated brother?
4. What is Earl's first impression of the town Rock Springs?
5. Why does the rabbi call the young boys "Murderers!" in the story of the same name?
6. Why does Daniel aggressively attack Noel in the story "The Amish Farmer"?
7. What is Sean's married life like?
8. What unfortunate site does Willi witness in the story of the same name, and how does the young boy react to what he's seen?
9. How does Arty's father react when his son comes for a visit at the mental institution in the story "The Bystander"?
10. What happens when the monkey goes wild aboard the ship in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)