|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Verona," how does the mother in the story react when she sees her husband feeding birds with their daughter?
(a) She is jealous.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is pleased.
(d) She is apathetic.
2. What animal does Willi's father breed for a living?
3. What reason is Pendleton given for the gypsy's disappearance from town?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is a drunk.
(c) He is a drifter.
(d) He is a spirit.
4. Which of the following examples is NOT a way that Push attempts to show dominance over John Williams?
(a) He eggs his house.
(b) He sprays graffiti about him around town.
(c) He makes jokes about him.
(d) He challenges him to a fight.
5. What possession does the narrator in the story "1/3, 1/3, 1/3" have that is tantalizing to his neighbor woman?
(a) A tractor.
(b) A typewriter.
(c) A clothes iron.
(d) A bathtub.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people's lives did Willi help save thanks to his heroic efforts in WWII?
2. In the story the writer is composing in the tale "1/3, 1/3, 1/3," with whom does the lead character fall in love?
3. In the story "Willi," where does Willi live?
4. Which of the following food items does Louise eat in front of her husband as an act of defiance?
5. In the story "Sonny's Blues," in which branch of the armed forces did the narrator serve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Sean is trapped in an elevator in the story "Midair"?
2. How does Eileen react to the news of Carlyle's illness in the story "Fever"?
3. How does Arty's father react when his son comes for a visit at the mental institution in the story "The Bystander"?
4. What type of relationship does Louise have with her mother in the story "The Fat Girl"?
5. What does Sonny blame his heroin addiction on?
6. How does Willie's father react when Willi tells him what he witnessed in the barn?
7. What reaction does the narrator have when watching Sonny play his music in the story "Sonny's Blues"?
8. What is Carlyle's life like at the opening of the story "Fever"?
9. Why doesn't Push like John Williams, and what does he do about it?
10. What reason does Raymond Carver give about why he wanted to compose this collection of short stories?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)