|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion does Carlyle use to describe his life now that Mrs. Webster is involved in it?
2. Who was the last person Sarah was with before she disappeared?
3. In the story "Sonny's Blues," what does the narrator do for a living?
(a) He is a teacher.
(b) He is a lawyer.
(c) He is an artist.
(d) He is unemployed.
4. Which of the following best describes the genre of the stories the editors chose for this collection?
5. Which of the following facts is true about Eugene Kraft in "A Poetic for Bullies"?
(a) He drools when he speaks.
(b) He has only one hand.
(c) He walks with a limp.
(d) He has a lazy eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Sean's sister?
2. In the story "The Amish Farmer," why does Noel drive off the road in Amish country?
3. Which of the following facts is NOT true of John Williams?
4. What problem does the cab driver claim plagues the town of Rock Springs?
5. While taking a walk with his children, what does Sean's father realize he has forgotten, or is missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eileen react to the news of Carlyle's illness in the story "Fever"?
2. What type of relationship does Louise have with her mother in the story "The Fat Girl"?
3. What prompts the narrator in "Sonny's Blues" to reach out to his incarcerated brother?
4. What part about Arty's life made him feel like a "Bystander"?
5. How does Louise's husband react when Louise gains weight during her pregnancy?
6. How does Pendleton react to the newcomer in his restaurant in the story "The Fisherman From Chihuahua"?
7. Why is Willi Varig hired to tell his story to an audience of people in the story, "Talk of Heroes"?
8. What unfortunate site does Willi witness in the story of the same name, and how does the young boy react to what he's seen?
9. What memory does Sean have of his father from when he was a 6 year old boy in the story "Midair"?
10. Why has Earl taken to the road in "Rock Springs" and who does he take with him?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)