|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Louise's relations is most strict about her food intake in the story, "The Fat Girl"?
(a) No one monitors Louise's food intake.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her father.
2. What reason is Pendleton given for the gypsy's disappearance from town?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is a spirit.
(c) He is a drunk.
(d) He is a drifter.
3. How are Earl and Edna related?
(a) Edna is Earl's sister.
(b) Edna is Earl's mother.
(c) Edna is Earl's cousin.
(d) Edna is Earl's girlfriend.
4. What act of affection do Lewis and Arty share before Arty leaves his father alone in the hospital?
(a) They hug.
(b) They kiss on the cheeks.
(c) They do not touch before Arty leaves.
(d) They shake hands.
5. Which of the following examples is NOT a way that Push attempts to show dominance over John Williams?
(a) He sprays graffiti about him around town.
(b) He makes jokes about him.
(c) He challenges him to a fight.
(d) He eggs his house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes Vance's student, Katie Jay, in the story, "The Amish Farmer"?
2. When Sarah goes missing in the story "Weekend," how does Julie search for her?
3. What does Lewis complain about during his meeting with Arty?
4. In the story the writer is composing in the tale "1/3, 1/3, 1/3," with whom does the lead character fall in love?
5. While taking a walk with his children, what does Sean's father realize he has forgotten, or is missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pendleton react to the newcomer in his restaurant in the story "The Fisherman From Chihuahua"?
2. How does Willie's father react when Willi tells him what he witnessed in the barn?
3. What reaction does the narrator have when watching Sonny play his music in the story "Sonny's Blues"?
4. What types of authors did Jenks and Carver seek to publish in this short story collection?
5. Why is Willi Varig hired to tell his story to an audience of people in the story, "Talk of Heroes"?
6. How does Arty's father react when his son comes for a visit at the mental institution in the story "The Bystander"?
7. What happens when Sean is trapped in an elevator in the story "Midair"?
8. How does Eileen react to the news of Carlyle's illness in the story "Fever"?
9. Why does Daniel aggressively attack Noel in the story "The Amish Farmer"?
10. What is Earl's first impression of the town Rock Springs?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)