|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Arty receive about his father on the first day he visits him in the mental institution?
(a) That his father is ill.
(b) That his father is going to be released.
(c) That his father is going to be transferred to another hospital.
(d) That his father is innocent of his crimes.
2. What is the name of Noel's wife in the story "The Amish Farmer"?
3. Which of the following weapons does Daniel use to intimidate Noel after their altercation?
(a) A candlestick.
(b) A knife.
(c) A rope.
(d) A wrench.
4. In the story "Willi," where does Willi live?
(a) In a village.
(b) On a farm.
(c) In a large city.
(d) In a town.
5. What problem does the cab driver claim plagues the town of Rock Springs?
Short Answer Questions
1. What act of affection do Lewis and Arty share before Arty leaves his father alone in the hospital?
2. If Sonny could choose any of the following occupations for himself, which would he choose?
3. How long does Mrs. Webster work for Carlyle before he notes a distinct change in his life?
4. What does Lewis ask Arty to be sure his aunt won't sell while Lewis is locked away?
5. What fears does Arty have about his emotions before meeting with his father at the mental hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Push like John Williams, and what does he do about it?
2. What unfortunate site does Willi witness in the story of the same name, and how does the young boy react to what he's seen?
3. What happens after David accidentally shoots his father in the leg in the story "Walking Out"?
4. How does Leo Finkel meet his wife in "The Magic Barrel"?
5. What instrument does Jack Hawthorne learn to play in the story "Redemption," and why?
6. What does Sonny blame his heroin addiction on?
7. What reason does Raymond Carver give about why he wanted to compose this collection of short stories?
8. How does a monkey end up aboard ship in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
9. Why does Lenore comfort George at the end of the story "Weekend"?
10. What happens when the monkey goes wild aboard the ship in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)