|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements is NOT true about the girl in the story "Verona"?
(a) She is oftend complimented on her "goodness."
(b) She is fed only the best foods.
(c) She is an avid reader of fairy tales.
(d) She is dressed in royal clothing.
2. What is the name of Sean's sister?
3. What act of affection do Lewis and Arty share before Arty leaves his father alone in the hospital?
(a) They hug.
(b) They shake hands.
(c) They do not touch before Arty leaves.
(d) They kiss on the cheeks.
4. Which of the following was NOT a way Louise's roommate uses to support Louise in her weight loss goals?
(a) She exercises with Louise.
(b) She bribes Louise.
(c) She cooks for Louise.
(d) She speaks kindly to Louise.
5. Whose death prompted Sonny to start using drugs?
(a) His mother's.
(b) His brother's.
(c) His sister's.
(d) His father's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following aspects of his children's lives does Sean obsessively worry about?
2. How long does Mrs. Webster work for Carlyle before he notes a distinct change in his life?
3. How many stories are included in this collection?
4. Which of the following facts is true about Eugene Kraft in "A Poetic for Bullies"?
5. In the story "Fever", who is Carol?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of relationship do George and Lenore have in the story "Weekend"?
2. Why is Willi Varig hired to tell his story to an audience of people in the story, "Talk of Heroes"?
3. Why has Earl taken to the road in "Rock Springs" and who does he take with him?
4. What reaction does the narrator have when watching Sonny play his music in the story "Sonny's Blues"?
5. What type of relationship does George have with his ex-students?
6. How does Louise's husband react when Louise gains weight during her pregnancy?
7. What type of relationship does Louise have with her mother in the story "The Fat Girl"?
8. What part about Arty's life made him feel like a "Bystander"?
9. Why does Vance tell the story of "The Amish Farmer" to his high school English class?
10. What memory does Sean have of his father from when he was a 6 year old boy in the story "Midair"?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)