|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following examples is NOT a way that Push attempts to show dominance over John Williams?
(a) He challenges him to a fight.
(b) He eggs his house.
(c) He makes jokes about him.
(d) He sprays graffiti about him around town.
2. How does Willi react when he hears his father beating his mother at night?
(a) He shouts at his mother.
(b) He does nothing.
(c) He phones the police.
(d) He attacks his father.
3. Which of the following is NOT a way that Louise reacts when she begins to gain weight during her pregnancy?
(a) She starts wearing baggy clothes.
(b) She starts sneaking snacks.
(c) She starts writing in her food journal.
(d) She starts excluding herself from social events.
4. Which of the following facts is true about Eugene Kraft in "A Poetic for Bullies"?
(a) He walks with a limp.
(b) He has only one hand.
(c) He has a lazy eye.
(d) He drools when he speaks.
5. What act of affection do Lewis and Arty share before Arty leaves his father alone in the hospital?
(a) They kiss on the cheeks.
(b) They shake hands.
(c) They hug.
(d) They do not touch before Arty leaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what country is the man who comes to the restaurant in Pendleton's town and eats alone?
2. Which of the following alcoholic beverages is Sonny's drink of choice?
3. What is George's wife's name?
4. What did the narrator and Sonny argue about while the narrator was on leave from the armed forces?
5. How are Sonny and the narrator related in "Sonny's Blues"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the fisherman die in the story "The Ledge"?
2. What prompts the narrator in "Sonny's Blues" to reach out to his incarcerated brother?
3. What stories do the old men from the cove tell the narrator in the story "Water Liars"?
4. What type of relationship does the narrator have with her dead son in the story "Dream Children"?
5. What is Carlyle's life like at the opening of the story "Fever"?
6. How does Pendleton react to the newcomer in his restaurant in the story "The Fisherman From Chihuahua"?
7. How does Willie's father react when Willi tells him what he witnessed in the barn?
8. What type of relationship does Louise have with her mother in the story "The Fat Girl"?
9. Why doesn't the grandmother want to go on vacation with her family in the story "A Good Man is Hard to Find"?
10. How does the grandmother react when face-to-face with the killer she read about in the newspapers?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)