|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the narrator and Sonny argue about while the narrator was on leave from the armed forces?
(a) The war.
(b) Sonny's future.
(c) Who would pay a dinner tab.
(d) The narrator's marriage.
2. Which of the following aspects of his children's lives does Sean obsessively worry about?
(a) Their athletic performance.
(b) Their school work.
(c) Their safety.
(d) Their mental health.
3. What act of affection do Lewis and Arty share before Arty leaves his father alone in the hospital?
(a) They kiss on the cheeks.
(b) They shake hands.
(c) They do not touch before Arty leaves.
(d) They hug.
4. How many people's lives did Willi help save thanks to his heroic efforts in WWII?
(a) 33 people's lives.
(b) 23 people's lives.
(c) 3 people's lives.
(d) 13 people's lives.
5. What country had John Williams been traveling in before settling in Push's neighborhood?
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the doctors who took Sean's father away carrying?
2. How does Willi react when he hears his father beating his mother at night?
3. If Sonny could choose any of the following occupations for himself, which would he choose?
4. Which of the following examples is NOT a way that Push attempts to show dominance over John Williams?
5. When Sarah goes missing in the story "Weekend," how does Julie search for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willie's father react when Willi tells him what he witnessed in the barn?
2. What type of relationship do George and Lenore have in the story "Weekend"?
3. What type of relationship does George have with his ex-students?
4. What happens when Sean is trapped in an elevator in the story "Midair"?
5. What prompts the narrator in "Sonny's Blues" to reach out to his incarcerated brother?
6. What reason does Raymond Carver give about why he wanted to compose this collection of short stories?
7. How does Louise's husband react when Louise gains weight during her pregnancy?
8. What is Earl's first impression of the town Rock Springs?
9. Why has Earl taken to the road in "Rock Springs" and who does he take with him?
10. What part about Arty's life made him feel like a "Bystander"?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)