|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the narrator's father when he becomes ill in "The Lover of Horses"?
(a) 63 years old.
(b) 43 years old.
(c) 73 years old.
(d) 53 years old.
2. In the story, "A Good Man is Hard to Find," where is the family planning to travel to for vacation?
(d) New York.
3. In the story "Shiloh," what does Leroy Moffitt do for a living?
(a) He is a dentist.
(b) He is a veterinarian.
(c) He is a truck driver.
(d) He is a hat maker.
4. Which of the following people punches Ozzy in the nose in the story "Conversation of the Jews"?
(a) The rabbi.
(b) The doctor.
(c) A school bully.
(d) His mother.
5. How does Ile's servant treat Gil when he arrives in the forest?
(a) He is kind.
(b) He is rude.
(c) He is silent.
(d) He is arrogant.
6. Where does the young woman work in "The Story of a Scar"?
(a) At a baseball field.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) At a doctor's office.
(d) At a post office.
7. Which of the following adjectives best describes Arnold Friend's relationship with Connie?
8. What religion does Leo Finkle practice in the story "The Magic Barrel"?
9. Why is the narrator of the story "Dream Children" considered uninteresting and melancholy?
(a) Because her husband beats her.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Because she lost her job.
(d) Because her son is dead.
10. What group of people does the wife in "The Used-Boys Raisers" believe were put on earth to be "a thorn in the side of mankind"?
11. What animal attacks David while he is going for a drink of water at the lake?
(a) A bear.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A snake.
(d) A deer.
12. How do the wife's children feel when all her husbands are home together in the story "The Used-Boys Raisers"?
(a) They are apathetic.
(b) They are confused.
(c) They are angry.
(d) They are excited.
13. What did the narrator's mother most love about the narrator's father in the story "The Lover of Horses"?
(a) His caring heart.
(b) His physical attractiveness.
(c) His determination.
(d) His financial support.
14. In the story "The Liar," in what country does James say he works with young children?
15. What part of David's body is injured during the animal attack?
(a) His hand.
(b) His face.
(c) His leg.
(d) His shoulder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the townsfolk in the story "Dream Children" think the narrator does recklessly?
2. In the story "Ile Forest," what does Gil do for a living?
3. In the story "The Lover of Horses," what does the narrator's family do for a living?
4. How far away does the fisherman guesstimate his boat is when he realizes it floated away from their ledge?
5. According to myth, what bait can a man use to catch fish from the water of the Cove in the story "Water Liars"?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)