|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far away does the fisherman guesstimate his boat is when he realizes it floated away from their ledge?
(a) 1/2 mile.
(b) 2 miles.
(c) 1 mile.
(d) 1/4 mile.
2. What is the name of Jack Hawthorne's brother?
3. How many of the threesome survive the fishing trip in the story "The Ledge"?
4. How does Jancy's father react when she tells him that she is driving to visit with her boyfriend?
(a) He is pleased.
(b) He is worried.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is hurt.
5. In "Murderers," whose house do the young boys snoop in"?
(a) The school principal's.
(b) The librarian's.
(c) The sheriff's.
(d) The rabbi's.
6. What is the name of the cove to where the narrator escapes in the story "Water Liars"?
(a) Marte Cove.
(b) Darte Cove.
(c) Barte Cove.
(d) Farte Cove.
7. What animal has the fisherman brought with him during the trip to keep the threesome company in "The Ledge"?
(a) A cat.
(b) A monkey.
(c) A dog.
(d) A parrot.
8. How does Poma react when she discovers the truth about Ile Galven's past?
(a) She marries him.
(b) She kills herself.
(c) She kills him.
(d) She leaves him.
9. How does the monkey die in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
(a) It dies from old age aboard the ship.
(b) The captain strangles it.
(c) It leaps overboard and drowns.
(d) It is poisoned by the crew.
10. In the story "Shiloh," what does Leroy Moffitt do for a living?
(a) He is a hat maker.
(b) He is a truck driver.
(c) He is a dentist.
(d) He is a veterinarian.
11. How many hours must Jancy drive to visit with her boyfriend?
(a) 8 hours.
(b) 6 hours.
(c) 10 hours.
(d) 12 hours.
12. What do the sailors use to coax the monkey down from the mast when it is upset?
13. What is streaked on Jancy's car after the accident, which makes her think about her father?
14. What fierce storm tore up the land, causing the monkey to become adrift in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
(a) A typhoon.
(b) A hurricane.
(c) A flood.
(d) A monsoon.
15. Why is the narrator of the story "Dream Children" considered uninteresting and melancholy?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Because her son is dead.
(c) Because her husband beats her.
(d) Because she lost her job.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Norma Jean and Leroy's baby die?
2. How often did the narrator's father lose money when he was gambling in "The Lover of Horses"?
3. What animal does Jancy hit with her car on her drive to visit with her boyfriend?
4. What part of David's body is injured during the animal attack?
5. What does the narrator's father hope to accomplish by playing cards in the story "The Lover of Horses"?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)