|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator of the story "Dream Children" claim to meet with during her times of travel?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her son.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her daughter.
2. According to myth, what bait can a man use to catch fish from the water of the Cove in the story "Water Liars"?
(a) No bait is needed.
(b) Peanut butter.
(c) Shoe leather.
3. How many hours must Jancy drive to visit with her boyfriend?
(a) 10 hours.
(b) 6 hours.
(c) 8 hours.
(d) 12 hours.
4. What is the name of the river on which the Cove is situation in the story "Water Liars"?
(a) Yazoo River.
(b) Kazoo River.
(c) Zazoo River.
(d) Wazoo River.
5. How did Norma Jean and Leroy's baby die?
(a) During childbirth.
(b) In a car accident.
(c) From leukemia.
(d) From SIDS.
6. What is streaked on Jancy's car after the accident, which makes her think about her father?
7. Which of the following is NOT an obsession that plagues the narrator's family in the story "The Lover of Horses"?
(b) Car racing.
(d) Card playing.
8. In the story "Ile Forest," what does Gil do for a living?
(a) He is a teacher.
(b) He is a doctor.
(c) He is a lawyer.
(d) He is a farmer.
9. What does the narrator's father hope to accomplish by playing cards in the story "The Lover of Horses"?
(a) Winning a fortune.
(b) Saving his family's house.
(c) Cheating death.
(d) Dying with dignity.
10. What religion does Leo Finkle practice in the story "The Magic Barrel"?
11. What type of travel does the narrator in "Dream Children" believe in?
(a) Time travel.
(b) Sleep travel.
(c) Spiritual travel.
(d) Space travel.
12. What do the sailors use to coax the monkey down from the mast when it is upset?
13. What does Leo Finkle hire Pinye Salzman to help him do?
(a) Find a wife.
(b) Investigate a crime.
(c) Build a house.
(d) Find a job.
14. How does Jancy's father react when she tells him that she is driving to visit with her boyfriend?
(a) He is pleased.
(b) He is worried.
(c) He is hurt.
(d) He is confused.
15. In "Murderers," whose house do the young boys snoop in"?
(a) The librarian's.
(b) The school principal's.
(c) The rabbi's.
(d) The sheriff's.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "The Misfits," what does Gay Langland do for a living?
2. From what country is "The General" in the story "Redemption?
3. What type of books most interest the narrator in the story "Dream Children"?
4. Why is the narrator of the story "Dream Children" considered uninteresting and melancholy?
5. Which of the following adjectives is NOT used to describe Connie in the story "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?"
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)