|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the young boy die in the story "Murderers"?
(a) He falls off the roof.
(b) He is accidentally shot.
(c) He is hit by a train.
(d) He is attacked by a dog.
2. How does Poma react when she discovers the truth about Ile Galven's past?
(a) She kills herself.
(b) She leaves him.
(c) She marries him.
(d) She kills him.
3. Why is the narrator of the story "Dream Children" considered uninteresting and melancholy?
(a) Because her husband beats her.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Because her son is dead.
(d) Because she lost her job.
4. How does Jack Hawthorne accidentally kill his brother in the story "Redemption"?
(a) He runs him over with a tractor.
(b) He strangles him with a garden hose.
(c) He suffocates him with a pillow.
(d) He poisons him with lead paint.
5. What does the narrator's father hope to accomplish by playing cards in the story "The Lover of Horses"?
(a) Saving his family's house.
(b) Cheating death.
(c) Dying with dignity.
(d) Winning a fortune.
6. What is the name of the river on which the Cove is situation in the story "Water Liars"?
(a) Kazoo River.
(b) Zazoo River.
(c) Yazoo River.
(d) Wazoo River.
7. How many members of the family are killed by the killer in the story "A Good Man is Hard to Find"?
(a) 2 members.
(b) 6 members.
(c) No members.
(d) 4 members.
8. How many husbands does the woman in "The Used-Boys Raisers" have?
(a) 3 husbands.
(b) 2 husbands.
(c) 4 husbands.
(d) 5 husbands.
9. How does Jancy's father react when she tells him that she is driving to visit with her boyfriend?
(a) He is worried.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is hurt.
(d) He is pleased.
10. What does the narrator's husband in the story "Dream Children" do for a living?
(a) He is a director.
(b) He is an actor.
(c) He is a producer.
(d) He is a choreographer.
11. What does the son of the Cove's founder claim to have seen on the island?
12. According to myth, what bait can a man use to catch fish from the water of the Cove in the story "Water Liars"?
(a) Peanut butter.
(b) No bait is needed.
(d) Shoe leather.
13. How do the wife's children feel when all her husbands are home together in the story "The Used-Boys Raisers"?
(a) They are confused.
(b) They are angry.
(c) They are excited.
(d) They are apathetic.
14. What is the name of Gay's wife in the story "The Misfits"?
15. In the story "The Lover of Horses," what does the narrator's family do for a living?
(a) They are horse trainers.
(b) They are horse wranglers.
(c) They are horse whisperers.
(d) They are horse breeders.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Ledge," which of the following adjectives would the wife use to describe her husband?
2. How did Norma Jean and Leroy's baby die?
3. With whom is the narrator having problems at the time he escapes to the cove in "Water Liars"?
4. Which of the following men does Gay believe is having an affair with his wife?
5. What is the name of the captain who pulls the monkey from the water in the story "Letters from the Samantha"?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)