|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instrument does Jack learn to play as a way of coping with his brother's death?
(a) The clarinet.
(b) The violin.
(c) The piano.
(d) The French horn.
2. How far does David carry his father on his back after accidentally shooting him in the leg?
(a) Eight miles.
(b) Six miles.
(c) Four miles.
(d) Ten miles.
3. How many ducks do the fisherman and his boys shoot during their first attempt on their trip?
(a) 17 ducks.
(b) 7 ducks.
(c) 27 ducks.
4. How many of the threesome survive the fishing trip in the story "The Ledge"?
5. From what country is "The General" in the story "Redemption?
6. What is streaked on Jancy's car after the accident, which makes her think about her father?
7. In the story "The Lover of Horses," what does the narrator's family do for a living?
(a) They are horse whisperers.
(b) They are horse breeders.
(c) They are horse trainers.
(d) They are horse wranglers.
8. What type of books most interest the narrator in the story "Dream Children"?
(a) Books about pharmacology.
(b) Books about musical therapy.
(c) Books about communicating with the dead.
(d) Books about fairies and magic.
9. Which of the following people punches Ozzy in the nose in the story "Conversation of the Jews"?
(a) His mother.
(b) The doctor.
(c) A school bully.
(d) The rabbi.
10. How does Jancy's father react when she tells him that she is driving to visit with her boyfriend?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is hurt.
(c) He is pleased.
(d) He is worried.
11. Which of the following is NOT something Ozzy makes the spectators admit while standing on the roof?
(a) That they believe in Jesus Christ.
(b) That Judaism is not the only religion that leads to salvation.
(c) That hitting, even in the name of God, is wrong.
(d) That God can do anything.
12. What is the name of Jack Hawthorne's brother?
13. In the story "Akhnilo," how many words does Eddie Fenn believe he can hear being whispered in the wind?
(a) 8 words.
(b) 4 words.
(c) 6 words.
(d) 2 words.
14. How far away does the fisherman guesstimate his boat is when he realizes it floated away from their ledge?
(a) 1/4 mile.
(b) 2 miles.
(c) 1 mile.
(d) 1/2 mile.
15. Who does the narrator of the story "Dream Children" claim to meet with during her times of travel?
(a) Her daughter.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Arnold Friend's car in the story "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?"
2. According to myth, what bait can a man use to catch fish from the water of the Cove in the story "Water Liars"?
3. Which of the family members warns against the vacation due to a killer being on the loose in the story "A Good Man is Hard to Find"?
4. How does the young boy die in the story "Murderers"?
5. What does Norma Jean do, that gives the reader hope that she and Leroy may mend their relationship and end up together?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)