Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following examples is NOT a way that Push attempts to show dominance over John Williams?
(a) He challenges him to a fight.
(b) He eggs his house.
(c) He makes jokes about him.
(d) He sprays graffiti about him around town.
2. How does Willi react when he hears his father beating his mother at night?
(a) He shouts at his mother.
(b) He does nothing.
(c) He phones the police.
(d) He attacks his father.
3. Which of the following is NOT a way that Louise reacts when she begins to gain weight during her pregnancy?
(a) She starts wearing baggy clothes.
(b) She starts sneaking snacks.
(c) She starts writing in her food journal.
(d) She starts excluding herself from social events.
4. Which of the following facts is true about Eugene Kraft in "A Poetic for Bullies"?
(a) He walks with a limp.
(b) He has only one hand.
(c) He has a lazy eye.
(d) He drools when he speaks.
5. What act of affection do Lewis and Arty share before Arty leaves his father alone in the hospital?
(a) They kiss on the cheeks.
(b) They shake hands.
(c) They hug.
(d) They do not touch before Arty leaves.
6. From what country is the man who comes to the restaurant in Pendleton's town and eats alone?
(a) He is Mexican.
(b) He is Columbian.
(c) He is Argentinean.
(d) He is Peruvian.
7. Which of the following alcoholic beverages is Sonny's drink of choice?
8. What is George's wife's name?
9. What did the narrator and Sonny argue about while the narrator was on leave from the armed forces?
(a) Sonny's future.
(b) The narrator's marriage.
(c) Who would pay a dinner tab.
(d) The war.
10. How are Sonny and the narrator related in "Sonny's Blues"?
(a) They are father and son.
(b) They are brothers.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They are best friends.
11. Who is responsible for finding Mrs. Webster, Carlyle's future babysitter?
12. What country was Willi Varig fighting for in WWII?
13. What does Lewis ask Arty to be sure his aunt won't sell while Lewis is locked away?
(a) His tools.
(b) His car.
(c) His books.
(d) His videos.
14. Which of the following best describes the genre of the stories the editors chose for this collection?
15. Which of the following food items does Louise eat in front of her husband as an act of defiance?
(a) An ice cream cone.
(b) A chocolate chip cookie.
(c) A piece of cake.
(d) A candy bar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lewis complain about during his meeting with Arty?
2. What reason is Pendleton given for the gypsy's disappearance from town?
3. Who is the co-editor of this collection along with Tom Jenks?
4. What fears does Arty have about his emotions before meeting with his father at the mental hospital?
5. What news does Arty receive about his father on the first day he visits him in the mental institution?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)