|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is George's wife's name?
2. In the story "Sonny's Blues," in which branch of the armed forces did the narrator serve?
(a) The Air Force.
(b) The Marines.
(c) The Army.
(d) The Navy.
3. What possession does the narrator in the story "1/3, 1/3, 1/3" have that is tantalizing to his neighbor woman?
(a) A typewriter.
(b) A tractor.
(c) A bathtub.
(d) A clothes iron.
4. Which of the following alcoholic beverages is Sonny's drink of choice?
5. In the story "Fever", who is Carol?
(a) Carlyle's neighbor.
(b) Carlyle's girlfriend.
(c) Carlyle's boss.
(d) Carlyle's daughter.
6. To what does Willi compare his household life after accidentally witnessing his mother having sexual relations?
(a) An unholy trinity.
(b) An unholy tripod.
(c) An unholy triangle.
(d) An unholy tricycle.
7. When Sarah goes missing in the story "Weekend," how does Julie search for her?
(a) On a bicycle.
(b) On horseback.
(c) On foot.
(d) In a car.
8. In "Verona," how does the mother in the story react when she sees her husband feeding birds with their daughter?
(a) She is apathetic.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is jealous.
(d) She is pleased.
9. If Sonny could choose any of the following occupations for himself, which would he choose?
(a) Police Officer.
10. What is the name of Emily's daughter in the story "Talk of Heroes"?
11. Whose death prompted Sonny to start using drugs?
(a) His mother's.
(b) His sister's.
(c) His brother's.
(d) His father's.
12. What was Sarah doing at the time she disappeared?
(d) Rock climbing.
13. What fears does Arty have about his emotions before meeting with his father at the mental hospital?
(a) That he will be too angry to speak.
(b) That his father will see his true emotions.
(c) That he will not feel anything when he sees his father.
(d) That he will burst out crying.
14. Which of the following adjectives does NOT describe the mysterious gypsy that arrives in town in the story "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
15. What does Lewis ask Arty to be sure his aunt won't sell while Lewis is locked away?
(a) His tools.
(b) His videos.
(c) His car.
(d) His books.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the school children respond to John Williams when he joins their school?
2. Which of the following best describes the genre of the stories the editors chose for this collection?
3. While taking a walk with his children, what does Sean's father realize he has forgotten, or is missing?
4. What prompts the gypsy man to raise his head and shout a war cry in the story, "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
5. What news does Arty receive about his father on the first day he visits him in the mental institution?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)