|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country was Willi Varig fighting for in WWII?
2. In the story, "The Bystander," who did Arty's father attack before being committed to a mental institution?
(a) A random woman.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) A co-worker.
(d) A small boy.
3. How long had it been since the narrator saw Sonny before his arrest?
(a) Two years.
(b) One year.
(c) Three years.
(d) Four years.
4. In the story "Sonny's Blues," what does the narrator do for a living?
(a) He is a lawyer.
(b) He is unemployed.
(c) He is a teacher.
(d) He is an artist.
5. What is George's wife's name?
6. What animal does Willi's father breed for a living?
7. Which of the following adjectives does NOT describe the mysterious gypsy that arrives in town in the story "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
8. What country had John Williams been traveling in before settling in Push's neighborhood?
9. What does Lewis complain about during his meeting with Arty?
(a) His health.
(b) The food.
(c) His loud neighbor.
(d) His scratchy bed sheets.
10. When Sarah goes missing in the story "Weekend," how does Julie search for her?
(a) On a bicycle.
(b) On foot.
(c) In a car.
(d) On horseback.
11. What story element is Vance trying to explain through his retelling of "The Amish Farmer"?
(a) Rising action suspense.
(b) Point-of-view narration.
(c) Climactic conflict.
(d) Character arc.
12. Who died, prompting the narrator to contact Sonny?
(a) The narrator's father.
(b) The narrator's mother.
(c) The narrator's daughter.
(d) The narrator's son.
13. What emotion does Carlyle use to describe his life now that Mrs. Webster is involved in it?
14. What problem does the cab driver claim plagues the town of Rock Springs?
15. How many stories are included in this collection?
(a) 16 stories.
(b) 36 stories.
(c) 26 stories.
(d) 46 stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements is NOT true about the girl in the story "Verona"?
2. At the opening of the story, how does Willi feel about his life?
3. What prompts the gypsy man to raise his head and shout a war cry in the story, "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
4. What did the narrator and Sonny argue about while the narrator was on leave from the armed forces?
5. While taking a walk with his children, what does Sean's father realize he has forgotten, or is missing?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)