|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What drug was Sonny arrested for selling?
2. From what country is the man who comes to the restaurant in Pendleton's town and eats alone?
(a) He is Argentinean.
(b) He is Mexican.
(c) He is Peruvian.
(d) He is Columbian.
3. How are Sonny and the narrator related in "Sonny's Blues"?
(a) They are father and son.
(b) They are best friends.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They are brothers.
4. What does Louise's husband do for a living?
(a) He is a farmer.
(b) He is a lawyer.
(c) He is a mechanic.
(d) He is an actor.
5. What is the nationality of the authors in this collection?
6. In the story "Sonny's Blues," what does the narrator do for a living?
(a) He is a lawyer.
(b) He is an artist.
(c) He is a teacher.
(d) He is unemployed.
7. How does Sean react when he gets stuck in the elevator with the young man?
(a) He remains calm.
(b) He becomes aggressive.
(c) He begins weeping.
(d) He panics.
8. What country was Willi Varig fighting for in WWII?
9. What news does Arty receive about his father on the first day he visits him in the mental institution?
(a) That his father is going to be released.
(b) That his father is innocent of his crimes.
(c) That his father is ill.
(d) That his father is going to be transferred to another hospital.
10. Which of Louise's relations is most strict about her food intake in the story, "The Fat Girl"?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her father.
(c) No one monitors Louise's food intake.
(d) Her mother.
11. Which of the following food items does Louise eat in front of her husband as an act of defiance?
(a) A chocolate chip cookie.
(b) A piece of cake.
(c) An ice cream cone.
(d) A candy bar.
12. In "Verona," how does the mother in the story react when she sees her husband feeding birds with their daughter?
(a) She is confused.
(b) She is pleased.
(c) She is jealous.
(d) She is apathetic.
13. What act of affection do Lewis and Arty share before Arty leaves his father alone in the hospital?
(a) They kiss on the cheeks.
(b) They shake hands.
(c) They hug.
(d) They do not touch before Arty leaves.
14. What is the name of the first babysitter Carlyle hires?
15. What is the name of Sean's sister?
Short Answer Questions
1. What fears does Arty have about his emotions before meeting with his father at the mental hospital?
2. What does Lewis ask Arty to be sure his aunt won't sell while Lewis is locked away?
3. In the story "Weekend," what did George do for a living before retiring?
4. Which of the following aspects of his children's lives does Sean obsessively worry about?
5. Which of the following statements is NOT true about the girl in the story "Verona"?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)