|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Verona," how does the mother in the story react when she sees her husband feeding birds with their daughter?
(a) She is confused.
(b) She is pleased.
(c) She is apathetic.
(d) She is jealous.
2. Which of the following adjectives best describes Vance's student, Katie Jay, in the story, "The Amish Farmer"?
3. What is the name of Louise's college roommate?
4. Which of the following best describes the genre of the stories the editors chose for this collection?
5. To which of the following ancient tribes is the gypsy compared in the story "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
(a) The Incas.
(b) The Mayans.
(c) The Moors.
(d) The Paracas.
6. What is the name of the man with whom Willi's mother has sexual relations?
7. In which of the following New York City boroughs did Sonny grow up?
(a) Staten Island.
8. What is the name of Emily's daughter in the story "Talk of Heroes"?
9. While taking a walk with his children, what does Sean's father realize he has forgotten, or is missing?
(a) His check book.
(b) His wallet.
(c) His shoes.
(d) His keys.
10. To what does the narrator in the story "1/3, 1/3, 1/3" compare his neighbor, the poor woman?
(a) To a flower.
(b) To a child.
(c) To a stone.
(d) To a dog.
11. Who is the co-editor of this collection along with Tom Jenks?
(a) John Steinbeck.
(b) Junot Diaz.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Raymond Carver.
12. Which of the following is NOT a way that Louise reacts when she begins to gain weight during her pregnancy?
(a) She starts writing in her food journal.
(b) She starts sneaking snacks.
(c) She starts wearing baggy clothes.
(d) She starts excluding herself from social events.
13. What is the nationality of the authors in this collection?
14. Which of the following aspects of his children's lives does Sean obsessively worry about?
(a) Their school work.
(b) Their mental health.
(c) Their safety.
(d) Their athletic performance.
15. Which of the following statements is NOT true about the girl in the story "Verona"?
(a) She is dressed in royal clothing.
(b) She is fed only the best foods.
(c) She is oftend complimented on her "goodness."
(d) She is an avid reader of fairy tales.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Noel pick a fight with Daniel in the story, "The Amish Farmer"?
2. What is the gypsy's name in "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
3. In the story "Sonny's Blues," what does the narrator do for a living?
4. How does Sean react when he gets stuck in the elevator with the young man?
5. Why has Emily's daughter come to stay with her?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)