|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "Fever," what is Carlyle's relationship status?
(a) He is divorced.
(b) He is engaged.
(c) He is dating.
(d) He is married.
2. Who was the last person Sarah was with before she disappeared?
3. Which of Louise's relations is most strict about her food intake in the story, "The Fat Girl"?
(a) No one monitors Louise's food intake.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her grandmother.
4. In what year was the latest story in this collection published?
5. Which of the following was NOT a way Louise's roommate uses to support Louise in her weight loss goals?
(a) She cooks for Louise.
(b) She exercises with Louise.
(c) She speaks kindly to Louise.
(d) She bribes Louise.
6. At the opening of the story, how does Willi feel about his life?
(a) He is bored by his life.
(b) He loves his life.
(c) He is confused in his life.
(d) He is terrified by his life.
7. In the story, "The Fisherman From Chihuahua," what type of business does Pendleton own?
(a) A barber shop.
(b) A tailor shop.
(c) A car garage.
(d) A restaurant.
8. Why has Emily's daughter come to stay with her?
(a) Because she was recenly released from prison.
(b) Because she has fallen ill.
(c) Because she lost her job.
(d) Because she split up from her husband.
9. Who is the co-editor of this collection along with Tom Jenks?
(a) John Steinbeck.
(b) Junot Diaz.
(c) Raymond Carver.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
10. Which of the following best describes the genre of the stories the editors chose for this collection?
11. In the story "Sonny's Blues," in which branch of the armed forces did the narrator serve?
(a) The Air Force.
(b) The Marines.
(c) The Navy.
(d) The Army.
12. Which of the following examples is NOT a way that Push attempts to show dominance over John Williams?
(a) He challenges him to a fight.
(b) He sprays graffiti about him around town.
(c) He makes jokes about him.
(d) He eggs his house.
13. In "Verona," how does the mother in the story react when she sees her husband feeding birds with their daughter?
(a) She is pleased.
(b) She is apathetic.
(c) She is jealous.
(d) She is confused.
14. What act of affection do Lewis and Arty share before Arty leaves his father alone in the hospital?
(a) They hug.
(b) They kiss on the cheeks.
(c) They do not touch before Arty leaves.
(d) They shake hands.
15. From what country is the man who comes to the restaurant in Pendleton's town and eats alone?
(a) He is Mexican.
(b) He is Argentinean.
(c) He is Peruvian.
(d) He is Columbian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story element is Vance trying to explain through his retelling of "The Amish Farmer"?
2. Which of the following adjectives would Sean use to describe his work life?
3. In the story "The Amish Farmer," why does Noel drive off the road in Amish country?
4. Which of the following aspects of his children's lives does Sean obsessively worry about?
5. Which of the following food items does Louise eat in front of her husband as an act of defiance?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)