|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem does the cab driver claim plagues the town of Rock Springs?
2. What did the narrator and Sonny argue about while the narrator was on leave from the armed forces?
(a) The narrator's marriage.
(b) The war.
(c) Who would pay a dinner tab.
(d) Sonny's future.
3. Which of the following alcoholic beverages is Sonny's drink of choice?
4. Which of the following examples is NOT a way that Push attempts to show dominance over John Williams?
(a) He makes jokes about him.
(b) He eggs his house.
(c) He sprays graffiti about him around town.
(d) He challenges him to a fight.
5. Whose death prompted Sonny to start using drugs?
(a) His brother's.
(b) His mother's.
(c) His sister's.
(d) His father's.
6. What is George's wife's name?
7. What does Lewis ask Arty to be sure his aunt won't sell while Lewis is locked away?
(a) His books.
(b) His videos.
(c) His car.
(d) His tools.
8. In the story, "The Bystander," who did Arty's father attack before being committed to a mental institution?
(a) A random woman.
(b) A co-worker.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) A small boy.
9. Who is responsible for finding Mrs. Webster, Carlyle's future babysitter?
10. How does Sean react when he gets stuck in the elevator with the young man?
(a) He begins weeping.
(b) He panics.
(c) He becomes aggressive.
(d) He remains calm.
11. In the story, "Rock Springs," what handicap affects Terrel?
(a) He is deaf.
(b) Terrel does not have a handicap.
(c) He is blind.
(d) He is mute.
12. What prompts the gypsy man to raise his head and shout a war cry in the story, "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
(a) An article in the newspaper.
(b) A broadcast on television news.
(c) The music on the radio.
(d) There is no reason for his war cry.
13. Which of the following statements is NOT true about the girl in the story "Verona"?
(a) She is dressed in royal clothing.
(b) She is oftend complimented on her "goodness."
(c) She is an avid reader of fairy tales.
(d) She is fed only the best foods.
14. In the story "The Amish Farmer," why does Noel drive off the road in Amish country?
(a) Because he was avoiding potholes.
(b) Because he swerved to miss a deer.
(c) Because he took his eyes off the road.
(d) Because he slid during a storm.
15. If Sonny could choose any of the following occupations for himself, which would he choose?
(d) Police Officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Sonny and the narrator related in "Sonny's Blues"?
2. What terrible weather occurred when Sarah went missing?
3. What story element is Vance trying to explain through his retelling of "The Amish Farmer"?
4. What does Lewis complain about during his meeting with Arty?
5. How many people's lives did Willi help save thanks to his heroic efforts in WWII?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)