|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story, "The Fisherman From Chihuahua," what type of business does Pendleton own?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A tailor shop.
(c) A barber shop.
(d) A car garage.
2. What country had John Williams been traveling in before settling in Push's neighborhood?
3. What is the name of the first babysitter Carlyle hires?
4. What reason is Pendleton given for the gypsy's disappearance from town?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is a spirit.
(c) He is a drifter.
(d) He is a drunk.
5. What is George's wife's name?
6. Why has Emily's daughter come to stay with her?
(a) Because she split up from her husband.
(b) Because she lost her job.
(c) Because she was recenly released from prison.
(d) Because she has fallen ill.
7. What is the name of the man with whom Willi's mother has sexual relations?
8. Which of the following was NOT a way Louise's roommate uses to support Louise in her weight loss goals?
(a) She cooks for Louise.
(b) She speaks kindly to Louise.
(c) She exercises with Louise.
(d) She bribes Louise.
9. How many people's lives did Willi help save thanks to his heroic efforts in WWII?
(a) 23 people's lives.
(b) 13 people's lives.
(c) 3 people's lives.
(d) 33 people's lives.
10. What did the narrator and Sonny argue about while the narrator was on leave from the armed forces?
(a) The war.
(b) Who would pay a dinner tab.
(c) The narrator's marriage.
(d) Sonny's future.
11. What does Carlyle do for a living?
(a) He is a teacher.
(b) He is a lawyer.
(c) He is a taxi driver.
(d) He is a dentist.
12. Which of the following adjectives would Sean use to describe his work life?
13. From what country is the man who comes to the restaurant in Pendleton's town and eats alone?
(a) He is Mexican.
(b) He is Peruvian.
(c) He is Columbian.
(d) He is Argentinean.
14. Who was the last person Sarah was with before she disappeared?
15. At the opening of the story, how does Willi feel about his life?
(a) He is confused in his life.
(b) He is terrified by his life.
(c) He loves his life.
(d) He is bored by his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion does Carlyle use to describe his life now that Mrs. Webster is involved in it?
2. How are Earl and Edna related?
3. Which of the following examples is NOT a way that Push attempts to show dominance over John Williams?
4. Which of the following is NOT a way that Louise reacts when she begins to gain weight during her pregnancy?
5. What story element is Vance trying to explain through his retelling of "The Amish Farmer"?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)