|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the opening of the story, how does Willi feel about his life?
(a) He is confused in his life.
(b) He is terrified by his life.
(c) He is bored by his life.
(d) He loves his life.
2. How does Sean react when he gets stuck in the elevator with the young man?
(a) He panics.
(b) He becomes aggressive.
(c) He remains calm.
(d) He begins weeping.
3. Which of the following facts is NOT true of John Williams?
(a) He is rich.
(b) He is dark skinned.
(c) He is a bully.
(d) He is handsome.
4. What terrible weather occurred when Sarah went missing?
5. What fears does Arty have about his emotions before meeting with his father at the mental hospital?
(a) That he will burst out crying.
(b) That he will be too angry to speak.
(c) That he will not feel anything when he sees his father.
(d) That his father will see his true emotions.
6. Why does Noel pick a fight with Daniel in the story, "The Amish Farmer"?
(a) Because Noel's wife and Daniel are having an affair.
(b) Because Noel thought Daniel was being aggressive.
(c) Because Daniel stole Noel's wallet.
(d) Because Daniel was spying on Noel's family while they dressed.
7. With whom does Willi accidentally witness his mother having an affair?
(a) His best friend's father.
(b) His teacher.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) His father.
8. What were the doctors who took Sean's father away carrying?
(b) Straight jackets.
(c) Folded blankets.
9. In the story the writer is composing in the tale "1/3, 1/3, 1/3," with whom does the lead character fall in love?
(a) A waitress.
(b) A princess.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A convict.
10. How are Earl and Edna related?
(a) Edna is Earl's sister.
(b) Edna is Earl's mother.
(c) Edna is Earl's girlfriend.
(d) Edna is Earl's cousin.
11. In the story, "The Fisherman From Chihuahua," what type of business does Pendleton own?
(a) A car garage.
(b) A barber shop.
(c) A tailor shop.
(d) A restaurant.
12. What possession does the narrator in the story "1/3, 1/3, 1/3" have that is tantalizing to his neighbor woman?
(a) A clothes iron.
(b) A bathtub.
(c) A typewriter.
(d) A tractor.
13. Which of the following alcoholic beverages is Sonny's drink of choice?
14. What school subject does Vance teach in the story "The Amish Farmer"?
15. To what does Willi compare his household life after accidentally witnessing his mother having sexual relations?
(a) An unholy triangle.
(b) An unholy tricycle.
(c) An unholy tripod.
(d) An unholy trinity.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Rock Springs," why does Earl find himself on the run?
2. Who is responsible for finding Mrs. Webster, Carlyle's future babysitter?
3. In the story "Sonny's Blues," what does the narrator do for a living?
4. How long does Mrs. Webster work for Carlyle before he notes a distinct change in his life?
5. In the story "Weekend," what did George do for a living before retiring?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)