|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the school children respond to John Williams when he joins their school?
(a) They hate him.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) They adore him.
(d) They fear him.
2. Which of the following elements is NOT true about Sean's childhood memory of his father?
(a) They climbed through an open window.
(b) They climbed down their fire escape.
(c) They climbed a rope ladder.
(d) They climbed on the roof of their house.
3. When Sarah goes missing in the story "Weekend," how does Julie search for her?
(a) On a bicycle.
(b) On horseback.
(c) In a car.
(d) On foot.
4. Which of the following is NOT a way that Louise reacts when she begins to gain weight during her pregnancy?
(a) She starts wearing baggy clothes.
(b) She starts writing in her food journal.
(c) She starts sneaking snacks.
(d) She starts excluding herself from social events.
5. In the story "Weekend," what did George do for a living before retiring?
(a) He was a teacher.
(b) He was a musician.
(c) He was a pharmacist.
(d) He was a bus driver.
6. In the story the writer is composing in the tale "1/3, 1/3, 1/3," with whom does the lead character fall in love?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A princess.
(c) A convict.
(d) A waitress.
7. What fears does Arty have about his emotions before meeting with his father at the mental hospital?
(a) That he will burst out crying.
(b) That he will not feel anything when he sees his father.
(c) That his father will see his true emotions.
(d) That he will be too angry to speak.
8. In the story "Fever," what is Carlyle's relationship status?
(a) He is engaged.
(b) He is dating.
(c) He is divorced.
(d) He is married.
9. Which of the following examples is NOT a way that Push attempts to show dominance over John Williams?
(a) He eggs his house.
(b) He challenges him to a fight.
(c) He sprays graffiti about him around town.
(d) He makes jokes about him.
10. What terrible weather occurred when Sarah went missing?
11. What is the gypsy's name in "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
12. How are Sonny and the narrator related in "Sonny's Blues"?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are best friends.
(c) They are father and son.
(d) They are brothers.
13. How does Louise's husband treat her when she begins to gain weight during pregnancy?
(a) He is kind to her.
(b) He treats her the way he always has.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He is cruel to her.
14. In which of the following New York City boroughs did Sonny grow up?
(c) Staten Island.
15. What reason is Pendleton given for the gypsy's disappearance from town?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is a spirit.
(c) He is a drifter.
(d) He is a drunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story, "The Fisherman From Chihuahua," what type of business does Pendleton own?
2. How many stories are included in this collection?
3. How does Sean react when he gets stuck in the elevator with the young man?
4. To which of the following ancient tribes is the gypsy compared in the story "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
5. What is the name of Emily's daughter in the story "Talk of Heroes"?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)