|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Louise's college roommate?
2. In the story the writer is composing in the tale "1/3, 1/3, 1/3," with whom does the lead character fall in love?
(a) A convict.
(b) A princess.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A waitress.
3. In the story "Fever," what is Carlyle's relationship status?
(a) He is dating.
(b) He is engaged.
(c) He is married.
(d) He is divorced.
4. Which of the following adjectives best describes Vance's student, Katie Jay, in the story, "The Amish Farmer"?
5. At the opening of the story, how does Willi feel about his life?
(a) He is confused in his life.
(b) He loves his life.
(c) He is bored by his life.
(d) He is terrified by his life.
6. What were the doctors who took Sean's father away carrying?
(b) Folded blankets.
(d) Straight jackets.
7. How does Willi react when he hears his father beating his mother at night?
(a) He phones the police.
(b) He does nothing.
(c) He attacks his father.
(d) He shouts at his mother.
8. Which of the following adjectives does NOT describe the mysterious gypsy that arrives in town in the story "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
9. Which of the following adjectives would Sean use to describe his work life?
10. What does Lewis complain about during his meeting with Arty?
(a) His scratchy bed sheets.
(b) His loud neighbor.
(c) His health.
(d) The food.
11. How does Louise's husband treat her when she begins to gain weight during pregnancy?
(a) He is cruel to her.
(b) He treats her the way he always has.
(c) He is kind to her.
(d) He ignores her.
12. Which of Louise's relations is most strict about her food intake in the story, "The Fat Girl"?
(a) Her mother.
(b) No one monitors Louise's food intake.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her father.
13. What is the nationality of the authors in this collection?
14. When Sarah goes missing in the story "Weekend," how does Julie search for her?
(a) On horseback.
(b) On a bicycle.
(c) On foot.
(d) In a car.
15. Which of the following weapons does Daniel use to intimidate Noel after their altercation?
(a) A knife.
(b) A rope.
(c) A candlestick.
(d) A wrench.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Sonny could choose any of the following occupations for himself, which would he choose?
2. How are Sonny and the narrator related in "Sonny's Blues"?
3. In the story, "Rock Springs," what handicap affects Terrel?
4. To which of the following ancient tribes is the gypsy compared in the story "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
5. Which of the following statements is NOT true about the girl in the story "Verona"?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)