|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What act of affection do Lewis and Arty share before Arty leaves his father alone in the hospital?
(a) They do not touch before Arty leaves.
(b) They hug.
(c) They kiss on the cheeks.
(d) They shake hands.
2. When Sarah goes missing in the story "Weekend," how does Julie search for her?
(a) On foot.
(b) In a car.
(c) On a bicycle.
(d) On horseback.
3. Whose death prompted Sonny to start using drugs?
(a) His father's.
(b) His brother's.
(c) His sister's.
(d) His mother's.
4. What possession does the narrator in the story "1/3, 1/3, 1/3" have that is tantalizing to his neighbor woman?
(a) A typewriter.
(b) A bathtub.
(c) A tractor.
(d) A clothes iron.
5. What is the nationality of the authors in this collection?
6. At the opening of the story, how does Willi feel about his life?
(a) He is bored by his life.
(b) He is terrified by his life.
(c) He is confused in his life.
(d) He loves his life.
7. Which of the following adjectives would Sean use to describe his work life?
8. What animal does Willi's father breed for a living?
9. In the story "Sonny's Blues," what does the narrator do for a living?
(a) He is a lawyer.
(b) He is a teacher.
(c) He is unemployed.
(d) He is an artist.
10. If Sonny could choose any of the following occupations for himself, which would he choose?
(a) Police Officer.
11. What reason does George give to others who ask why his wife continues to stay with him?
(a) Because she has no other options.
(b) Because she is simple-minded.
(c) Because she trusts him explicitly.
(d) Because she is in love.
12. In "Verona," how does the mother in the story react when she sees her husband feeding birds with their daughter?
(a) She is jealous.
(b) She is pleased.
(c) She is confused.
(d) She is apathetic.
13. In the story "Willi," where does Willi live?
(a) In a large city.
(b) In a town.
(c) In a village.
(d) On a farm.
14. Who died, prompting the narrator to contact Sonny?
(a) The narrator's mother.
(b) The narrator's daughter.
(c) The narrator's father.
(d) The narrator's son.
15. Why does Noel pick a fight with Daniel in the story, "The Amish Farmer"?
(a) Because Noel's wife and Daniel are having an affair.
(b) Because Daniel was spying on Noel's family while they dressed.
(c) Because Noel thought Daniel was being aggressive.
(d) Because Daniel stole Noel's wallet.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Willi compare his household life after accidentally witnessing his mother having sexual relations?
2. How does Louise's husband treat her when she begins to gain weight during pregnancy?
3. How does Sean react when he gets stuck in the elevator with the young man?
4. Which of the following adjectives does NOT describe the mysterious gypsy that arrives in town in the story "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
5. In the story "The Amish Farmer," why does Noel drive off the road in Amish country?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)