|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem does the cab driver claim plagues the town of Rock Springs?
2. Why does Noel pick a fight with Daniel in the story, "The Amish Farmer"?
(a) Because Noel thought Daniel was being aggressive.
(b) Because Daniel was spying on Noel's family while they dressed.
(c) Because Daniel stole Noel's wallet.
(d) Because Noel's wife and Daniel are having an affair.
3. In the story "Sonny's Blues," in which branch of the armed forces did the narrator serve?
(a) The Navy.
(b) The Air Force.
(c) The Army.
(d) The Marines.
4. What did the narrator and Sonny argue about while the narrator was on leave from the armed forces?
(a) The war.
(b) The narrator's marriage.
(c) Who would pay a dinner tab.
(d) Sonny's future.
5. Which of the following facts is NOT true of John Williams?
(a) He is a bully.
(b) He is rich.
(c) He is handsome.
(d) He is dark skinned.
6. Which of the following is NOT a way that Louise reacts when she begins to gain weight during her pregnancy?
(a) She starts writing in her food journal.
(b) She starts wearing baggy clothes.
(c) She starts sneaking snacks.
(d) She starts excluding herself from social events.
7. What is the name of the man with whom Willi's mother has sexual relations?
8. What is the name of Louise's college roommate?
9. In the story "Sonny's Blues," what does the narrator do for a living?
(a) He is unemployed.
(b) He is a teacher.
(c) He is a lawyer.
(d) He is an artist.
10. How does Willi react when he hears his father beating his mother at night?
(a) He phones the police.
(b) He does nothing.
(c) He attacks his father.
(d) He shouts at his mother.
11. What is the name of Earl's daughter?
12. What country was Willi Varig fighting for in WWII?
13. What possession does the narrator in the story "1/3, 1/3, 1/3" have that is tantalizing to his neighbor woman?
(a) A tractor.
(b) A clothes iron.
(c) A bathtub.
(d) A typewriter.
14. Which of the following adjectives best describes Vance's student, Katie Jay, in the story, "The Amish Farmer"?
15. In the story "Weekend," what did George do for a living before retiring?
(a) He was a pharmacist.
(b) He was a bus driver.
(c) He was a musician.
(d) He was a teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which of the following ancient tribes is the gypsy compared in the story "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
2. Who is responsible for finding Mrs. Webster, Carlyle's future babysitter?
3. How are Sonny and the narrator related in "Sonny's Blues"?
4. What was Sarah doing at the time she disappeared?
5. What is the nationality of the authors in this collection?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)