|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the narrator and Sonny argue about while the narrator was on leave from the armed forces?
(a) Who would pay a dinner tab.
(b) Sonny's future.
(c) The narrator's marriage.
(d) The war.
2. How does Sean react when he gets stuck in the elevator with the young man?
(a) He becomes aggressive.
(b) He remains calm.
(c) He panics.
(d) He begins weeping.
3. To which of the following ancient tribes is the gypsy compared in the story "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
(a) The Mayans.
(b) The Paracas.
(c) The Incas.
(d) The Moors.
4. Who was the last person Sarah was with before she disappeared?
5. How are Earl and Edna related?
(a) Edna is Earl's cousin.
(b) Edna is Earl's mother.
(c) Edna is Earl's sister.
(d) Edna is Earl's girlfriend.
6. In the story "Rock Springs," why does Earl find himself on the run?
(a) For punching a mobster.
(b) For writing bad checks.
(c) For stealing a car.
(d) For robbing a bank.
7. How many stories are included in this collection?
(a) 36 stories.
(b) 26 stories.
(c) 16 stories.
(d) 46 stories.
8. In the story, "Rock Springs," what handicap affects Terrel?
(a) He is blind.
(b) Terrel does not have a handicap.
(c) He is deaf.
(d) He is mute.
9. Which of the following adjectives does NOT describe the mysterious gypsy that arrives in town in the story "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
10. What animal does Willi's father breed for a living?
11. In the story, "The Fisherman From Chihuahua," what type of business does Pendleton own?
(a) A barber shop.
(b) A car garage.
(c) A tailor shop.
(d) A restaurant.
12. To what does the narrator in the story "1/3, 1/3, 1/3" compare his neighbor, the poor woman?
(a) To a stone.
(b) To a dog.
(c) To a child.
(d) To a flower.
13. What prompts the gypsy man to raise his head and shout a war cry in the story, "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
(a) An article in the newspaper.
(b) There is no reason for his war cry.
(c) The music on the radio.
(d) A broadcast on television news.
14. In the story "Willi," where does Willi live?
(a) In a town.
(b) In a village.
(c) In a large city.
(d) On a farm.
15. How many children does Carlyle have?
(a) 3 children.
(b) 2 children.
(c) 4 children.
(d) 1 child.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what type of weather does the girl remember feeding birds with her father in the story, "Verona"?
2. In the story "Fever", who is Carol?
3. What country had John Williams been traveling in before settling in Push's neighborhood?
4. What is George's wife's name?
5. What were the doctors who took Sean's father away carrying?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)