|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What story element is Vance trying to explain through his retelling of "The Amish Farmer"?
(a) Climactic conflict.
(b) Character arc.
(c) Point-of-view narration.
(d) Rising action suspense.
2. Which of the following adjectives does NOT describe the mysterious gypsy that arrives in town in the story "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
3. What is the name of Emily's daughter in the story "Talk of Heroes"?
4. What is the name of Louise's college roommate?
5. What does Louise's husband do for a living?
(a) He is a mechanic.
(b) He is a lawyer.
(c) He is an actor.
(d) He is a farmer.
6. What country was Willi Varig fighting for in WWII?
7. What news does Arty receive about his father on the first day he visits him in the mental institution?
(a) That his father is ill.
(b) That his father is going to be transferred to another hospital.
(c) That his father is going to be released.
(d) That his father is innocent of his crimes.
8. What is the name of the first babysitter Carlyle hires?
9. To what does the narrator in the story "1/3, 1/3, 1/3" compare his neighbor, the poor woman?
(a) To a flower.
(b) To a child.
(c) To a stone.
(d) To a dog.
10. What school subject does Vance teach in the story "The Amish Farmer"?
11. Which of the following statements is NOT true about the girl in the story "Verona"?
(a) She is dressed in royal clothing.
(b) She is an avid reader of fairy tales.
(c) She is oftend complimented on her "goodness."
(d) She is fed only the best foods.
12. How many stories are included in this collection?
(a) 36 stories.
(b) 26 stories.
(c) 46 stories.
(d) 16 stories.
13. In the story "Rock Springs," why does Earl find himself on the run?
(a) For punching a mobster.
(b) For writing bad checks.
(c) For stealing a car.
(d) For robbing a bank.
14. What were the doctors who took Sean's father away carrying?
(a) Straight jackets.
(b) Folded blankets.
15. To what does Willi compare his household life after accidentally witnessing his mother having sexual relations?
(a) An unholy triangle.
(b) An unholy tricycle.
(c) An unholy tripod.
(d) An unholy trinity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion does Carlyle use to describe his life now that Mrs. Webster is involved in it?
2. How are Sonny and the narrator related in "Sonny's Blues"?
3. Which of the following food items does Louise eat in front of her husband as an act of defiance?
4. What was Sarah doing at the time she disappeared?
5. As an adult, which of the following facts about Sean is NOT true?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)