|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion does Carlyle use to describe his life now that Mrs. Webster is involved in it?
2. What is the name of Louise's college roommate?
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes Vance's student, Katie Jay, in the story, "The Amish Farmer"?
4. Who is the co-editor of this collection along with Tom Jenks?
(a) Junot Diaz.
(b) Raymond Carver.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) John Steinbeck.
5. Which of the following was NOT a way Louise's roommate uses to support Louise in her weight loss goals?
(a) She speaks kindly to Louise.
(b) She cooks for Louise.
(c) She exercises with Louise.
(d) She bribes Louise.
6. In the story "Sonny's Blues," in which branch of the armed forces did the narrator serve?
(a) The Army.
(b) The Navy.
(c) The Air Force.
(d) The Marines.
7. With whom does Willi accidentally witness his mother having an affair?
(a) His teacher.
(b) His best friend's father.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) His father.
8. Who was the last person Sarah was with before she disappeared?
9. At the opening of the story, how does Willi feel about his life?
(a) He is bored by his life.
(b) He is confused in his life.
(c) He loves his life.
(d) He is terrified by his life.
10. As an adult, which of the following facts about Sean is NOT true?
(a) He works as a teacher.
(b) He is an alcoholic.
(c) He is having an affair.
(d) He has two children.
11. Why does Noel pick a fight with Daniel in the story, "The Amish Farmer"?
(a) Because Noel's wife and Daniel are having an affair.
(b) Because Daniel stole Noel's wallet.
(c) Because Noel thought Daniel was being aggressive.
(d) Because Daniel was spying on Noel's family while they dressed.
12. In the story "Willi," where does Willi live?
(a) On a farm.
(b) In a village.
(c) In a town.
(d) In a large city.
13. What does Lewis ask Arty to be sure his aunt won't sell while Lewis is locked away?
(a) His car.
(b) His videos.
(c) His tools.
(d) His books.
14. How long had it been since the narrator saw Sonny before his arrest?
(a) Four years.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Three years.
15. What is the name of Sean's sister?
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Earl and Edna related?
2. Who stands up for Willi Varig when he is too drunk to address the audience at the convention he had been hired to speak at?
3. Which of the following food items does Louise eat in front of her husband as an act of defiance?
4. What is the name of Emily's daughter in the story "Talk of Heroes"?
5. What country had John Williams been traveling in before settling in Push's neighborhood?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)