|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Sean at the opening of "Midair"?
(a) 10 years old.
(b) 6 years old.
(c) 4 years old.
(d) 8 years old.
2. Who stands up for Willi Varig when he is too drunk to address the audience at the convention he had been hired to speak at?
(a) Emily's boss.
(b) Emily's daughter.
(d) No one stands up for Willi.
3. What animal does Willi's father breed for a living?
4. To which of the following ancient tribes is the gypsy compared in the story "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
(a) The Paracas.
(b) The Mayans.
(c) The Incas.
(d) The Moors.
5. What does Lewis complain about during his meeting with Arty?
(a) His loud neighbor.
(b) The food.
(c) His health.
(d) His scratchy bed sheets.
6. What school subject does Vance teach in the story "The Amish Farmer"?
7. Which of the following elements is NOT true about Sean's childhood memory of his father?
(a) They climbed down their fire escape.
(b) They climbed through an open window.
(c) They climbed a rope ladder.
(d) They climbed on the roof of their house.
8. What did the narrator and Sonny argue about while the narrator was on leave from the armed forces?
(a) Who would pay a dinner tab.
(b) Sonny's future.
(c) The war.
(d) The narrator's marriage.
9. Who is responsible for finding Mrs. Webster, Carlyle's future babysitter?
10. What terrible weather occurred when Sarah went missing?
11. What is the nationality of the authors in this collection?
12. How many people's lives did Willi help save thanks to his heroic efforts in WWII?
(a) 3 people's lives.
(b) 13 people's lives.
(c) 33 people's lives.
(d) 23 people's lives.
13. Which of the following aspects of his children's lives does Sean obsessively worry about?
(a) Their mental health.
(b) Their safety.
(c) Their school work.
(d) Their athletic performance.
14. Who died, prompting the narrator to contact Sonny?
(a) The narrator's father.
(b) The narrator's daughter.
(c) The narrator's son.
(d) The narrator's mother.
15. In "Verona," how does the mother in the story react when she sees her husband feeding birds with their daughter?
(a) She is apathetic.
(b) She is pleased.
(c) She is jealous.
(d) She is confused.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following facts is NOT true of John Williams?
2. What is George's wife's name?
3. In the story "Willi," where does Willi live?
4. Which of the following weapons does Daniel use to intimidate Noel after their altercation?
5. Which of the following adjectives does NOT describe the mysterious gypsy that arrives in town in the story "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)