|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While taking a walk with his children, what does Sean's father realize he has forgotten, or is missing?
(a) His wallet.
(b) His shoes.
(c) His keys.
(d) His check book.
2. In the story "Fever," what is Carlyle's relationship status?
(a) He is dating.
(b) He is divorced.
(c) He is married.
(d) He is engaged.
3. To what does Willi compare his household life after accidentally witnessing his mother having sexual relations?
(a) An unholy triangle.
(b) An unholy tricycle.
(c) An unholy trinity.
(d) An unholy tripod.
4. What prompts the gypsy man to raise his head and shout a war cry in the story, "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
(a) An article in the newspaper.
(b) There is no reason for his war cry.
(c) A broadcast on television news.
(d) The music on the radio.
5. In the story, "Rock Springs," what handicap affects Terrel?
(a) He is blind.
(b) Terrel does not have a handicap.
(c) He is mute.
(d) He is deaf.
6. What does Carlyle do for a living?
(a) He is a teacher.
(b) He is a dentist.
(c) He is a taxi driver.
(d) He is a lawyer.
7. What act of affection do Lewis and Arty share before Arty leaves his father alone in the hospital?
(a) They do not touch before Arty leaves.
(b) They kiss on the cheeks.
(c) They shake hands.
(d) They hug.
8. What did the narrator and Sonny argue about while the narrator was on leave from the armed forces?
(a) The narrator's marriage.
(b) Who would pay a dinner tab.
(c) The war.
(d) Sonny's future.
9. Who is responsible for finding Mrs. Webster, Carlyle's future babysitter?
10. In what year was the latest story in this collection published?
11. How are Sonny and the narrator related in "Sonny's Blues"?
(a) They are best friends.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They are brothers.
(d) They are father and son.
12. What reason does George give to others who ask why his wife continues to stay with him?
(a) Because she trusts him explicitly.
(b) Because she has no other options.
(c) Because she is simple-minded.
(d) Because she is in love.
13. From what country is the man who comes to the restaurant in Pendleton's town and eats alone?
(a) He is Columbian.
(b) He is Mexican.
(c) He is Argentinean.
(d) He is Peruvian.
14. In which of the following New York City boroughs did Sonny grow up?
(b) Staten Island.
15. To which of the following ancient tribes is the gypsy compared in the story "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
(a) The Incas.
(b) The Mayans.
(c) The Moors.
(d) The Paracas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the doctors who took Sean's father away carrying?
2. In the story "Weekend," what did George do for a living before retiring?
3. How long had it been since the narrator saw Sonny before his arrest?
4. In the story, "The Bystander," who did Arty's father attack before being committed to a mental institution?
5. Which of the following adjectives best describes Vance's student, Katie Jay, in the story, "The Amish Farmer"?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)