|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prompts the gypsy man to raise his head and shout a war cry in the story, "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
(a) An article in the newspaper.
(b) A broadcast on television news.
(c) The music on the radio.
(d) There is no reason for his war cry.
2. In the story "Sonny's Blues," what does the narrator do for a living?
(a) He is a teacher.
(b) He is a lawyer.
(c) He is an artist.
(d) He is unemployed.
3. What is the name of Louise's college roommate?
4. How many people's lives did Willi help save thanks to his heroic efforts in WWII?
(a) 33 people's lives.
(b) 23 people's lives.
(c) 3 people's lives.
(d) 13 people's lives.
5. In the story "Rock Springs," why does Earl find himself on the run?
(a) For stealing a car.
(b) For punching a mobster.
(c) For writing bad checks.
(d) For robbing a bank.
6. What school subject does Vance teach in the story "The Amish Farmer"?
7. Which of the following elements is NOT true about Sean's childhood memory of his father?
(a) They climbed a rope ladder.
(b) They climbed on the roof of their house.
(c) They climbed through an open window.
(d) They climbed down their fire escape.
8. How does Louise's husband treat her when she begins to gain weight during pregnancy?
(a) He is kind to her.
(b) He treats her the way he always has.
(c) He is cruel to her.
(d) He ignores her.
9. In the story "Fever", who is Carol?
(a) Carlyle's neighbor.
(b) Carlyle's daughter.
(c) Carlyle's girlfriend.
(d) Carlyle's boss.
10. At the opening of the story, how does Willi feel about his life?
(a) He is terrified by his life.
(b) He is confused in his life.
(c) He loves his life.
(d) He is bored by his life.
11. How long does Mrs. Webster work for Carlyle before he notes a distinct change in his life?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Eight weeks.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
12. Which of the following food items does Louise eat in front of her husband as an act of defiance?
(a) A chocolate chip cookie.
(b) A piece of cake.
(c) A candy bar.
(d) An ice cream cone.
13. Which of the following was NOT a way Louise's roommate uses to support Louise in her weight loss goals?
(a) She speaks kindly to Louise.
(b) She cooks for Louise.
(c) She exercises with Louise.
(d) She bribes Louise.
14. In the story, "The Fisherman From Chihuahua," what type of business does Pendleton own?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A car garage.
(c) A tailor shop.
(d) A barber shop.
15. What was Sarah doing at the time she disappeared?
(d) Rock climbing.
Short Answer Questions
1. While taking a walk with his children, what does Sean's father realize he has forgotten, or is missing?
2. How old is Sean at the opening of "Midair"?
3. Which of the following statements is NOT true about the girl in the story "Verona"?
4. What reason is Pendleton given for the gypsy's disappearance from town?
5. Whose death prompted Sonny to start using drugs?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)