|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "The Amish Farmer," why does Noel drive off the road in Amish country?
(a) Because he took his eyes off the road.
(b) Because he slid during a storm.
(c) Because he swerved to miss a deer.
(d) Because he was avoiding potholes.
2. How are Sonny and the narrator related in "Sonny's Blues"?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are father and son.
(c) They are best friends.
(d) They are brothers.
3. What country was Willi Varig fighting for in WWII?
4. What is the gypsy's name in "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
5. How does Louise's husband treat her when she begins to gain weight during pregnancy?
(a) He is cruel to her.
(b) He is kind to her.
(c) He treats her the way he always has.
(d) He ignores her.
6. From what country is the man who comes to the restaurant in Pendleton's town and eats alone?
(a) He is Columbian.
(b) He is Mexican.
(c) He is Peruvian.
(d) He is Argentinean.
7. If Sonny could choose any of the following occupations for himself, which would he choose?
(b) Police Officer.
8. In the story, "Rock Springs," what handicap affects Terrel?
(a) Terrel does not have a handicap.
(b) He is deaf.
(c) He is mute.
(d) He is blind.
9. In the story "Fever," what is Carlyle's relationship status?
(a) He is dating.
(b) He is married.
(c) He is engaged.
(d) He is divorced.
10. How long does Mrs. Webster work for Carlyle before he notes a distinct change in his life?
(a) Eight weeks.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Four weeks.
11. What school subject does Vance teach in the story "The Amish Farmer"?
12. With whom does Willi accidentally witness his mother having an affair?
(a) His best friend's father.
(b) His teacher.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) His father.
13. How many stories are included in this collection?
(a) 26 stories.
(b) 46 stories.
(c) 36 stories.
(d) 16 stories.
14. In the story "Sonny's Blues," in which branch of the armed forces did the narrator serve?
(a) The Air Force.
(b) The Marines.
(c) The Army.
(d) The Navy.
15. Which of the following elements is NOT true about Sean's childhood memory of his father?
(a) They climbed on the roof of their house.
(b) They climbed down their fire escape.
(c) They climbed a rope ladder.
(d) They climbed through an open window.
Short Answer Questions
1. What possession does the narrator in the story "1/3, 1/3, 1/3" have that is tantalizing to his neighbor woman?
2. Which of the following weapons does Daniel use to intimidate Noel after their altercation?
3. In what year was the latest story in this collection published?
4. How old is Sean at the opening of "Midair"?
5. To which of the following ancient tribes is the gypsy compared in the story "The Fisherman from Chihuahua"?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)