|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Poe learn happened to his cell-mate while he is in solitary?
2. What does the justice of the peace suggest that Harris do in Book Three?
3. Who are the friends that Harris meets at the bar in Book Four?
4. What does Isaac use to pay for his and Baron's food at the diner in Book Three?
5. Who are the three leaders of the white group at Poe's prison in Book Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is foreshadowed by the conversation between Grace and Harris in Book Four?
2. How has Isaac English's character evolved in Book Four? How does the author illustrate the changes in Isaac?
3. What ultimatum does Billy Poe face with the white prison gang in Book Three? What is demonstrated through this ultimatum?
4. What is significant about Isaac's use of the phrase "Badge of Honor" in Book Four?
5. How is the theme of decay illustrated in Book Three of American Rust?
6. What is the resulting outcome of Poe's fight in the cafeteria in Book Three?
7. What inner conflicts does Grace Poe face in the beginning of Book Three?
8. What internal conflicts does Henry English face in Book Four?
9. What does Bud Harris discuss with his friends Riley, Chester, and Frank at the Dead End bar in Book Four?
10. What leads up to the cafeteria fight between Poe and another inmate in Book Three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the narrative style of American Rust. Is the story related in the present tense or past tense? Is the narrator involved in the action of the story? Is the narrative perspective omniscient or limited? What are the effects of each of these choices?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Poe in American Rust. How is Poe's background described? Where is Poe living when his character is introduced? How does Poe's character evolve in the story? Where is Poe in the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of secrets in American Rust. What are some of the principle secrets that are revealed in the course of the narrative? How is this theme developed through character? How is it developed through setting, symbolism, and imagery?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)