|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Otto referred to as throughout the narrative?
2. How does Isaac consider committing suicide in Book Four?
3. Where does Isaac go to attend to his hygiene after stealing items from the store in Book Four?
4. What does Henry grapple with in Book Four?
5. What weapon does Isaac steal in Book Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Billy Poe's character evolved in Book Four? What has led to the changes in Poe's character?
2. What ultimatum does Billy Poe face with the white prison gang in Book Three? What is demonstrated through this ultimatum?
3. What do Isaac and Baron do upon arriving in the outskirts of Detroit in Book Three?
4. How has Isaac English's character evolved in Book Four? How does the author illustrate the changes in Isaac?
5. How has Issac's character evolved in Book Three? How are the changes in Isaac's character revealed?
6. What foreshadowing is revealed through Poe's inner monologues in Book Four?
7. What do Grace and Harris discuss when he visits her in Book Four?
8. What leads up to the cafeteria fight between Poe and another inmate in Book Three?
9. How has Poe's character evolved in Book Three? How does the author illustrate the changes in Poe's character?
10. What leads up to the conflict between Poe and his cell-mate in Book Four? What is the outcome of the conflict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Isaac and Poe in American Rust. How do these characters know one another? How would you define their relationship? How does this relationship evolve in the course of the story? How are Isaac and Poe alike? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Isaac's journey in the narrative. Where does Isaac travel to and how does he get there? Whom does Isaac meet along his journey? How does Isaac's journey change him as a character?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the plot structure of American Rust. Where in the narrative do the exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and denouement occur? How traditionally structured is the plot of the novel? Would you describe the ending of the novel to be hopeful or tragic? Why?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)