|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the group that is coddling Isaac described in Book Three?
2. Who does the officer ask for at Lee's door in Book Three?
3. What does Grace do when Harris comes over to talk about Poe's case in Book Three?
4. Who are the three leaders of the white group at Poe's prison in Book Three?
5. What does Isaac use to pay for his and Baron's food at the diner in Book Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of decay illustrated in Book Three of American Rust?
2. What information does Glen Patacki relate to Harris in Book Three?
3. What internal conflict does Poe face while in solitary confinement in Book Four?
4. What inner conflicts does Grace Poe face in the beginning of Book Three?
5. What leads up to the cafeteria fight between Poe and another inmate in Book Three?
6. What is foreshadowed by the conversation between Grace and Harris in Book Four?
7. What is Lee's response after a police officer comes to look for her brother in Book Three?
8. What do Isaac and Baron do upon arriving in the outskirts of Detroit in Book Three?
9. How has Billy Poe's character evolved in Book Four? What has led to the changes in Poe's character?
10. What ultimatum does Billy Poe face with the white prison gang in Book Three? What is demonstrated through this ultimatum?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Poe in American Rust. How is Poe's background described? Where is Poe living when his character is introduced? How does Poe's character evolve in the story? Where is Poe in the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Isaac's journey in the narrative. Where does Isaac travel to and how does he get there? Whom does Isaac meet along his journey? How does Isaac's journey change him as a character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Bud Harris in American Rust. What is Harris's position in Buell? What is his relationship to Grace and Billy Poe? What actions does Harris commit in the narrative? Are these actions noble or dishonorable? Why?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)