|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harris warn Poe NOT to do when he releases him from the jail in Book Two?
2. Why does Isaac return to the murder scene in Book Two?
3. What sport did Poe excell at in high school?
4. What is the name of Poe's father?
5. What word from Book One refers to the path followed by a flying object moving under the action of given forces?
Short Essay Questions
1. What internal conflicts does Poe face in the beginning of Book Two?
2. How is Isaac English described when his character is introduced in Book One? What are Isaac's circumstances in the beginning of the novel?
3. What does Poe reveal to Lee about the murder in Book Two? How does she respond?
4. How does the murder in Book One influence the characters of Isaac and Poe?
5. What is revealed through the encounter between Harris and Poe while Poe is in a holding cell in Book Two?
6. What happens when Billy Poe is officially arrested for murder in Book Two?
7. Describe the murder in Book One. What leads up to the murder?
8. The theme of fatalism plays a large part in American Rust. How does fatalism apply to the murder of Otto?
9. How is the character of Billy Poe described in Book One? What are his circumstances in the beginning of the novel?
10. How does the theme of fatalism apply to Grace and Billy Poe in Book One?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the language style of the novel. How would you describe the author's approach to dialogue? In what ways does the language style of the novel reflect upon its characters and themes? What are some examples of literary devices used throughout the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the plot structure of American Rust. Where in the narrative do the exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and denouement occur? How traditionally structured is the plot of the novel? Would you describe the ending of the novel to be hopeful or tragic? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the events surrounding the murder that Isaac commits. Where does the murder take place? What events lead up to the murder? Do you think that Isaac is justified in committing the murder? Why or why not?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)