|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Isaac's ultimate destination as he flees his hometown in Book One?
2. How old is Poe in Book One?
3. How did Isaac try to kill himself?
4. What word from Book One refers to the path followed by a flying object moving under the action of given forces?
5. How does Lee describe her marriage in Book One?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Bud Harris in the narrative. What is revealed about Harris's inner thoughts in Book Two?
2. What is revealed through the encounter between Harris and Poe while Poe is in a holding cell in Book Two?
3. What happens when Billy Poe is officially arrested for murder in Book Two?
4. What symbolism surrounds the murder that occurs in Book One of American Rust?
5. What importance does the setting of American Rust play in the story?
6. What does Poe reveal to Lee about the murder in Book Two? How does she respond?
7. Describe the murder in Book One. What leads up to the murder?
8. The theme of fatalism plays a large part in American Rust. How does fatalism apply to the murder of Otto?
9. How is the character of Billy Poe described in Book One? What are his circumstances in the beginning of the novel?
10. How would you describe the atmosphere of the setting and characters in Book One?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the Fayette prison in the novel. How do the rules and morals within the prison differ from those in the outside world? How do Poe's experiences in the prison change him? Who are the major characters introduced at Fayette prison?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Poe in American Rust. How is Poe's background described? Where is Poe living when his character is introduced? How does Poe's character evolve in the story? Where is Poe in the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Isaac's journey in the narrative. Where does Isaac travel to and how does he get there? Whom does Isaac meet along his journey? How does Isaac's journey change him as a character?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)