|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book Four, Grace wonders whether who would have been a better father to her son?
2. From where has Poe's cell-mate in prison just returned in Book Four?
(a) A meeting with his lawyer.
(b) A parole hearing.
(c) Solitary confinement.
(d) The prison library.
3. Who are the three leaders of the white group at Poe's prison in Book Three?
(a) Virgil, Jacob, and Roger.
(b) Black Larry, Dwayne, and Clovis.
(c) Hicks, Lee, and Harris.
(d) Simon, Jack, and Joey.
4. How is the cafeteria at the prison segregated?
(a) By race.
(b) By gender.
(c) By offence.
(d) By age.
5. What is Poe conflicted about in Book Four?
(a) Whether or not to fire his lawyer.
(b) Whether or not to tell his lawyer he was acting in self-defense.
(c) Whether or not to ask Sarah to marry him.
(d) Whether or not to reveal that Isaac committed the murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the prisoner demand from Poe's tray in Book Three?
2. How does Isaac manage to lose the cops in the beginning of Book Four?
3. Why is Isaac unable to retrieve his pack in the beginning of Book Four?
4. Where does Poe hang out with the prison group that is coddling him in Book Three?
5. What does Poe do when his lawyer arrives to see him in Book Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of decay illustrated in Book Three of American Rust?
2. What is significant about Isaac's use of the phrase "Badge of Honor" in Book Four?
3. How is the theme of sacrifice explored in Book Four of American Rust?
4. What internal conflict does Poe face while in solitary confinement in Book Four?
5. What is Lee's response after a police officer comes to look for her brother in Book Three?
6. How has Issac's character evolved in Book Three? How are the changes in Isaac's character revealed?
7. How has Billy Poe's character evolved in Book Four? What has led to the changes in Poe's character?
8. What foreshadowing is revealed through Poe's inner monologues in Book Four?
9. What is foreshadowed by the conversation between Grace and Harris in Book Four?
10. What inner conflicts does Grace Poe face in the beginning of Book Three?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)