|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Grace consider sleeping with in order to get money for a lawyer for her son in Book Two?
(a) Her boss.
2. Where is Poe taken after he is booked and fingerprinted in Book Two?
3. What did Poe use in the past to beat a boy up until he had brain damage?
(a) A hammer.
(b) A baseball bat.
(c) Brass knuckles.
(d) A golf club.
4. Where is Poe taken by van to a prison after he's been booked in Book Two?
5. Who is Bud Harris's young partner?
(a) Joe Klein.
(d) Steve Ho.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lee now live with her husband in Book One?
2. What does Harris warn Poe NOT to do when he releases him from the jail in Book Two?
3. What did Harris do when he caught Virgil stealing previously?
4. How does Isaac know Daryl Foster?
5. What did Harris catch Virgil stealing previously?
Short Essay Questions
1. What political struggles and conflicts plague Bud Harris in Book Two?
2. What symbolism surrounds the murder that occurs in Book One of American Rust?
3. Describe the character of Bud Harris in the narrative. What is revealed about Harris's inner thoughts in Book Two?
4. How is Billy Poe's introduction to the Fayette Prison described in Book Two?
5. What internal conflicts does Poe face in the beginning of Book Two?
6. What secrets are revealed in Book Two? How do these secrets serve the plot?
7. How does the theme of fatalism apply to Henry and Lee English in the novel?
8. What takes place in Grace Poe's narrative in Book Two?
9. How does the murder in Book One influence the characters of Isaac and Poe?
10. In Book Two, the language surrounding Isaac's narrative begins to transition. What purpose does this transition serve?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)