|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the white supremacist group that Isaac surmises Daryl is a member of in Book Two?
(a) White Knights.
2. Who shoves his hands into Poe's pants during the fight at the car factory in Book One?
3. Whom does Grace consider sleeping with in order to get money for a lawyer for her son in Book Two?
(c) Her boss.
4. What does Isaac realize he left at the murder scene in Book One?
(a) His watch.
(b) His backpack.
(c) His jacket.
(d) His wallet.
5. What word from Book One refers to a temporary prohibition of activity?
Short Answer Questions
1. What industry at the heart of the hometown where Isaac and Poe live?
2. Who is Harris's friend on the city council that is under investigation?
3. From whose house is Poe walking home in the beginning of Book Two?
4. How is Poe's physique described in Book One?
5. How does Isaac escape when he and Poe are initially confronted by the vagrants in the car factory?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the theme of fatalism apply to Grace and Billy Poe in Book One?
2. In Book Two, the language surrounding Isaac's narrative begins to transition. What purpose does this transition serve?
3. What importance does the setting of American Rust play in the story?
4. Describe the character of Bud Harris in the narrative. What is revealed about Harris's inner thoughts in Book Two?
5. How is Isaac English described when his character is introduced in Book One? What are Isaac's circumstances in the beginning of the novel?
6. Where does Isaac plan to travel in Book One? Why?
7. Where does Isaac encounter the teenage thugs in Book Two? What happens when he encounters them?
8. How does the murder in Book One influence the characters of Isaac and Poe?
9. Where do Isaac and Poe encounter the three drifters in Book One? Who are the drifters and how are they described?
10. How is the character of Billy Poe described in Book One? What are his circumstances in the beginning of the novel?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)