|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money has Issac stolen from his father in Book One?
2. How is Isaac's physicality described in the narrative?
(a) Small and wispy.
(b) Tall and fat.
(c) Tall and muscular.
(d) Short and fat.
3. How did Isaac's mother die?
(a) She was in a car accident.
(b) She was murdered.
(c) She was executed.
(d) She committed suicide.
4. What does Grace dream of doing in Book One?
(a) Getting a job at the factory.
(b) Getting married to Murray.
(c) Going away or to school.
(d) Getting married to Virgil.
5. What does Isaac realize he left at the murder scene in Book One?
(a) His watch.
(b) His jacket.
(c) His backpack.
(d) His wallet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the teen that leads the pack that beats up Isaac in Book Two?
2. What industry at the heart of the hometown where Isaac and Poe live?
3. Who steps up as an eyewitness that claims he can identify the murderer in Book Two?
4. What is Isaac's ultimate destination as he flees his hometown in Book One?
5. What item of evidence does Poe realize he left at the scene of the murder in Book One?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Billy Poe described in Book One? What are his circumstances in the beginning of the novel?
2. Describe the character of Bud Harris in the narrative. What is revealed about Harris's inner thoughts in Book Two?
3. What is revealed through the encounter between Harris and Poe while Poe is in a holding cell in Book Two?
4. What takes place in Grace Poe's narrative in Book Two?
5. Where does Isaac plan to travel in Book One? Why?
6. What secrets are revealed in Book Two? How do these secrets serve the plot?
7. What happens when Harris confronts Poe in the woods in Book Two?
8. The theme of fatalism plays a large part in American Rust. How does fatalism apply to the murder of Otto?
9. How does the theme of fatalism apply to Grace and Billy Poe in Book One?
10. What importance does the setting of American Rust play in the story?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)