|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Poe's punishment for fighting with his cell-mate in Book Four?
(a) He must clean the cafeteria.
(b) He must clean the bathrooms.
(c) An additional 3 years to his sentence.
(d) Solitary confinement.
2. Who are the friends that Harris meets at the bar in Book Four?
(a) Isaac, Paul, and Jackie.
(b) Riley, Chester, and Frank.
(c) Steve, Hicks, and Simon.
(d) Otto, Murray, and Jesus.
3. Where does Grace say Virgil is when Harris comes to visit her in Book Three?
(a) At the grocery store.
(b) At his mother's house.
(c) At the laundromat.
(d) Long gone.
4. What does the justice of the peace warn Harris about when they meet in Book Three?
(a) Harris's relationship with Grace.
(b) The investigation of Steve Ho.
(c) His wife's adultery.
(d) Harris's friendship with Murray.
5. What does Isaac dream about when he and Baron are sleeping outside of Detroit in Book Three?
(a) His family.
(c) His friendship with Harris.
(d) His horse.
6. What object does Isaac lose when he flees the cops in Book Three?
(a) His gun.
(b) His ring.
(c) His knife.
(d) His keys.
7. From where has Poe's cell-mate in prison just returned in Book Four?
(a) A parole hearing.
(b) The prison library.
(c) A meeting with his lawyer.
(d) Solitary confinement.
8. What is Poe conflicted about in Book Four?
(a) Whether or not to fire his lawyer.
(b) Whether or not to ask Sarah to marry him.
(c) Whether or not to tell his lawyer he was acting in self-defense.
(d) Whether or not to reveal that Isaac committed the murder.
9. How do the prison guards feel about Poe's cell-mate?
(a) They envy him.
(b) They hate him.
(c) They look up to him.
(d) They like him.
10. What word from Book Four refers to a person without a home, job, or property?
11. What is Lee's father's name?
12. How does Isaac manage to lose the cops in the beginning of Book Four?
(a) He catches a bus out of the area.
(b) He steals a car.
(c) He catches a train out of the area.
(d) He crosses the river by boat.
13. What does the justice of the peace suggest that Harris do in Book Three?
(a) Pursue the district attorney position when it opens.
(b) Pursue the justice of the peace job when he retires.
(c) Retire early.
(d) Confess to the murder.
14. Harris's friends discuss town gossip in Book Four, including criticism that Harris let Poe off too easily several years ago when he'd done what?
(a) Stolen copper wire.
(b) Committed murder.
(c) Burned a house down.
(d) Beat up a kid.
15. Who does the officer ask for at Lee's door in Book Three?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Poe do when his lawyer arrives to see him in Book Four?
2. What word from Book Four refers to an instance of turning something aside from its course?
3. Why does Grace struggle with hiring a lawyer for her son in Book Three?
4. What does Grace do when Harris comes over to talk about Poe's case in Book Three?
5. What does the black prisoner call Poe when he approaches him in the cafeteria in Book Three?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)