• American Rust is the critically acclaimed debut novel of author Phillip Meyer.
• The setting of the narrative is established in Book One as Fayette County, Pennsylvania, where Isaac English is twenty years old and living in Buell.
• Isaac is leaving home after having stolen $4,000 dollars from his father, who used to be a steelworker but was laid off due to the disintegration of Pennsylvania's steel industry.
• Isaac's plan is to travel to Pittsburgh and then on to California; he first travels to the house of his best friend, 21-year-old Billy Poe.
• Poe is reluctant, but agrees to travel with Isaac.
• To get out of the pouring rain, Isaac and Poe duck into an abandoned car factory and start a fire.
• Three drifters show up – Otto, a seven-foot-tall Swede; Murray, an old man; and Jesus, a smaller Mexican man – and claim to own the spot Poe and...
This section contains 2,523 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)