|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the listener drown in in 'Music'?
2. What swarms around the animal in 'Happiness'?
3. What has a captain in 'Humpbacks' seen a whale playing with?
4. What does the narrator of 'The Sea' call the sea?
5. What wanders with the narrator in 'White Night'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in these poems. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in these poems and where does it appear? How is the tone and meaning of the poems altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society were described. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)