|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would make a paradise for the narrator of 'The Sea'?
2. In 'Fish', what does the fish refuse to do?
3. In 'Humpbacks', what do the people do when the humpbacks appear?
4. What does the rising sun in 'Morning at Great Pond' make the night do?
5. What kind of nuggets are found in 'Spring'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the snakes compared to in 'Snakes'?
2. How does the narrator of 'The Plum Trees' say happiness must be tempted?
3. What does the narrator of 'The Plum Trees' say a man must not succumb to?
4. What happens in the fifth part of 'Little Sister Pond'?
5. What does the narrator say mankind is nourished by in 'The Fish'?
6. What does the narrator in 'Something' learn the worth of after her lover dies?
7. What do the fish do in the secret pools in 'Climbing the Chagrin River'?
8. What does honey fill a person with according to the narrator of 'Honey at the Table'?
9. What is said to have happened to Tecumseh's body?
10. What do the lovers in 'Something' hear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect the tone of the poems that had this as a central theme?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the different natural settings included in this collection, and what did they each indicate about Oliver's personality?
Essay Topic 3
Oliver puts a huge emphasis on optimism in many of these poems. Which poems presented this idea, and how did they differ in the way each presented this theme?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)