|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator spend time looking at in the third part of 'Little Sister Pond'?
2. What are compared to black blossoms in 'Blossom'?
3. In 'The Honey Tree', what is found in the honey tree?
4. What does the narrator of 'Bluefish' compare the Bluefish to?
5. How does the narrator describe the movement of the creature described in the second part of 'Little Sister Pond'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three things does the narrator of 'In Blackwater Woods' say all men must do?
2. What are the snakes compared to in 'Snakes'?
3. What is the narrator's head full of in 'Blackberries'?
4. What is the prayer whispered in 'The Garden', and who is it meant for?
5. What does the narrator of 'Morning at Great Pond' say the coming morning renews in her at the Great Pond?
6. What does the narrator say mankind is nourished by in 'The Fish'?
7. In 'Crossing the Swamp', what does the narrator say she hopes to make of her life?
8. What happens in the fifth part of 'Little Sister Pond'?
9. What does the narrator of 'Honey at the Table' say the taste of honey is composed of?
10. What does the narrator do in the second part of 'The Garden'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the different natural settings included in this collection, and what did they each indicate about Oliver's personality?
Essay Topic 2
Many mother and daughter relationships were described in this collection of poems. What were some of these highlighted relationships, and how did they affect Oliver and her writing?
Essay Topic 3
Who was John Chapman, and how did he change the history and landscape of America?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)