|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the packed leaves pushed in 'Spring'?
2. What floats away on the ponds in the 'Blackwater Woods'?
3. What do the Bluefish eat?
4. What does the narrator of 'White Night' compare the coming morning to?
5. What does the narrator of 'Blossom' say people long for before their death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator of 'Crossing the Swamp' find in the swamp?
2. What three things does the narrator of 'In Blackwater Woods' say all men must do?
3. What do the lovers in 'Something' hear?
4. How does the narrator of 'Crossing the Swamp' feel when she gets covered in the mud from the swamp?
5. What does the narrator of 'The Roses' compare the blooming of the roses to?
6. In 'Crossing the Swamp', what does the narrator say she hopes to make of her life?
7. What do the lovers in 'Something' do?
8. What does the narrator of 'The Plum Trees' say a man must not succumb to?
9. What does the narrator of 'Morning at Great Pond' say the coming morning renews in her at the Great Pond?
10. What are the snakes compared to in 'Snakes'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There was a lot of interesting advice given and received in these poems. What are some examples of this advice, and what were the consequences of it?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in these poems and where does it appear? How is the tone and meaning of the poems altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
What did Oliver state about happiness in 'The Plum Trees', and how were these ideas substantiated?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)