|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Fish', where is the fish when he dies?
2. What season does 'Music' take place in?
3. What does the narrator of 'Blackwater Woods' say a man must love?
4. How does the narrator describe a muskrat in 'White Night'?
5. What provides spiritual honey to the narrator of 'May'?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator say a person would know Tecumseh if they saw him?
2. What does the narrator say mankind is nourished by in 'The Fish'?
3. What does the narrator of 'The Roses' say there is no end to?
4. How does the narrator of 'Crossing the Swamp' feel when she gets covered in the mud from the swamp?
5. What does the narrator of 'Crossing the Swamp' find in the swamp?
6. What sad event happens in the second part of 'Something'?
7. What is the first big question asked of the reader in 'Tecumseh'?
8. What do the fish do in the secret pools in 'Climbing the Chagrin River'?
9. How does the narrator of 'The Plum Trees' say happiness must be tempted?
10. What do the lovers in 'Something' hear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in these poems and where does it appear? How is the tone and meaning of the poems altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Foolishness was a very common folly highlighted in this collection of poems. What are some of the main examples of this, and what message was being sent through these examples of blatant foolishness?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the different natural settings included in this collection, and what did they each indicate about Oliver's personality?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)