|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator spend time looking at in the third part of 'Little Sister Pond'?
2. What is described in the second part of 'Little Sister Pond'?
3. What does the narrator of 'Music' compare the body to?
4. What does the narrator of 'Blossom' say people long for before their death?
5. What are seen drinking at the Great Pond?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the snakes compared to in 'Snakes'?
2. What does the narrator in 'Something' learn the worth of after her lover dies?
3. What does Tecumseh mean?
4. What does honey fill a person with according to the narrator of 'Honey at the Table'?
5. What does the narrator say mankind is nourished by in 'The Fish'?
6. What does the narrator of 'The Plum Trees' say a man must not succumb to?
7. What happens in the sixth part of 'Little Sister Pond'?
8. What is the question asked at the end of 'The Garden'?
9. What is the narrator's head full of in 'Blackberries'?
10. How does the narrator of 'The Plum Trees' say happiness must be tempted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in these poems and where does it appear? How is the tone and meaning of the poems altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
What happened to the 'Lost Children', and what were some of the theories Oliver had about these circumstances.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the different natural settings included in this collection, and what did they each indicate about Oliver's personality?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)