|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Fish', where is the fish when he dies?
2. What does the narrator of 'The Honey Tree' love as she climbs the honey tree?
3. What is the country made of in 'Humpbacks'?
4. What kind of animal is featured in 'Happiness'?
5. What was the narrator of 'Bluefish' doing when she saw the Bluefish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first big question asked of the reader in 'Tecumseh'?
2. What do the lovers in 'Something' hear?
3. What sad event happens in the second part of 'Something'?
4. What does the narrator of 'The Plum Trees' say a man must not succumb to?
5. How does the narrator of 'Crossing the Swamp' feel when she gets covered in the mud from the swamp?
6. What is the question asked at the end of 'The Garden'?
7. How does the narrator of 'The Plum Trees' say happiness must be tempted?
8. What does Tecumseh mean?
9. What is the prayer whispered in 'The Garden', and who is it meant for?
10. What does the narrator of 'Tecumseh' say is worse than risking death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society were described. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the different natural settings included in this collection, and what did they each indicate about Oliver's personality?
Essay Topic 3
What was the main theme in 'Flying' and what kinds of literary devices were used to present this interesting and unique theme?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)