|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What floats away on the ponds in the 'Blackwater Woods'?
2. What does the listener in 'Music' do?
3. What swarms around the animal in 'Happiness'?
4. What would make a paradise for the narrator of 'The Sea'?
5. What dives into the storm in 'May'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the prayer whispered in 'The Garden', and who is it meant for?
2. What does the narrator of 'The Roses' compare the blooming of the roses to?
3. What three things does the narrator of 'In Blackwater Woods' say all men must do?
4. What do the fish do in the secret pools in 'Climbing the Chagrin River'?
5. What happens in the fifth part of 'Little Sister Pond'?
6. What does Tecumseh mean?
7. What does the narrator of 'Tecumseh' say is worse than risking death?
8. What do the lovers in 'Something' hear?
9. How does the narrator of 'The Plum Trees' say happiness must be tempted?
10. What are the snakes compared to in 'Snakes'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through these poems, Oliver presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism affect the tone of her literature?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect the tone of the poems that had this as a central theme?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the different natural settings included in this collection, and what did they each indicate about Oliver's personality?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)