|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe her thoughts in the third part of 'Little Sister Pond'?
2. In 'Humpbacks', what do the people do when the humpbacks appear?
3. What do the trees in the 'Blackwater Woods' give off?
4. What would make a paradise for the narrator of 'The Sea'?
5. Where did the narrator of' Music' first hear the music?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the prayer whispered in 'The Garden', and who is it meant for?
2. What does honey fill a person with according to the narrator of 'Honey at the Table'?
3. In 'Crossing the Swamp', what does the narrator say she hopes to make of her life?
4. What does the narrator of 'Morning at Great Pond' say the coming morning renews in her at the Great Pond?
5. What does the narrator of 'Tecumseh' say is worse than risking death?
6. What do the lovers in 'Something' do?
7. What does the narrator in 'Something' learn the worth of after her lover dies?
8. What does the narrator of 'Honey at the Table' say the taste of honey is composed of?
9. What is the question asked at the end of 'The Garden'?
10. What are the snakes compared to in 'Snakes'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in these poems and where does it appear? How is the tone and meaning of the poems altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the questions asked in 'The Gardens' and how did their unanswered status affect the tone of the poem?
Essay Topic 3
What happened to the 'Lost Children', and what were some of the theories Oliver had about these circumstances.
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)