|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Blackwater Woods', what is on the other side of the black river of loss?
2. What does the listener in 'Music' do?
3. What does the narrator of 'The Sea' call the sea?
4. How does the sea move, as described in the poem 'The Sea'?
5. What becomes nameless in the 'Blackwater Woods'?
Essay Topic 1
In 'Crossing the Swamp' Oliver talks about how trials and hardships have shaped her life. What are some of the ways her life was shaped by these things, and how did she present these ideas in this poem.
Essay Topic 2
Through these poems, Oliver presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism affect the tone of her literature?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in these poems and where does it appear? How is the tone and meaning of the poems altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)