|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many humpbacks are near the boat in 'Humpbacks'?
2. What floats away on the ponds in the 'Blackwater Woods'?
3. Who is the wood duck calling to in 'Little Sister Pond'?
4. What kind of animal is featured in 'Happiness'?
5. What kind of mythical creature does the narrator compare herself to in 'Music'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the fish do in the secret pools in 'Climbing the Chagrin River'?
2. What happens in the sixth part of 'Little Sister Pond'?
3. What does the narrator say mankind is nourished by in 'The Fish'?
4. How does the narrator say a person would know Tecumseh if they saw him?
5. What does the narrator of 'The Plum Trees' say a man must not succumb to?
6. What does the narrator do in the second part of 'The Garden'?
7. What happens in the fifth part of 'Little Sister Pond'?
8. What does honey fill a person with according to the narrator of 'Honey at the Table'?
9. How does the narrator of 'The Plum Trees' say happiness must be tempted?
10. What is the prayer whispered in 'The Garden', and who is it meant for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There was a lot of interesting advice given and received in these poems. What are some examples of this advice, and what were the consequences of it?
Essay Topic 2
What was the main theme in 'Flying' and what kinds of literary devices were used to present this interesting and unique theme?
Essay Topic 3
In 'Crossing the Swamp' Oliver talks about how trials and hardships have shaped her life. What are some of the ways her life was shaped by these things, and how did she present these ideas in this poem.
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)