|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the animal in 'Happiness' doing?
2. What begins the day in 'Morning at Great Pond'?
3. What does the narrator of 'Bluefish' think the earth does before it becomes Heaven?
4. What touches the head of the muskrat in 'White Night'?
5. In 'Fish', where is the fish when he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say mankind is nourished by in 'The Fish'?
2. What do the lovers in 'Something' hear?
3. What does the narrator of 'The Roses' compare the blooming of the roses to?
4. What does Tecumseh mean?
5. What is the first big question asked of the reader in 'Tecumseh'?
6. What is the narrator's head full of in 'Blackberries'?
7. What does the narrator of 'Little Sister Pond' compare the moon to?
8. What does the narrator of 'The Plum Trees' say a man must not succumb to?
9. What does the narrator of 'Crossing the Swamp' find in the swamp?
10. What is the question asked at the end of 'The Garden'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happened to the 'Lost Children', and what were some of the theories Oliver had about these circumstances.
Essay Topic 2
Oliver puts a huge emphasis on optimism in many of these poems. Which poems presented this idea, and how did they differ in the way each presented this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Who was John Chapman, and how did he change the history and landscape of America?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)