|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator of 'White Night' compare the muskrat's house to?
2. What do the trees in the 'Blackwater Woods' turn themselves into?
3. In 'Blackwater Woods', what is on the other side of the black river of loss?
4. What swarms around the animal in 'Happiness'?
5. What does the listener drown in in 'Music'?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator say a person would know Tecumseh if they saw him?
2. What does the narrator of 'Honey at the Table' say the taste of honey is composed of?
3. What is the narrator's head full of in 'Blackberries'?
4. What is the question asked at the end of 'The Garden'?
5. What do the fish do in the secret pools in 'Climbing the Chagrin River'?
6. What happens in the sixth part of 'Little Sister Pond'?
7. What does honey fill a person with according to the narrator of 'Honey at the Table'?
8. What do the lovers in 'Something' do?
9. What does the narrator of 'Morning at Great Pond' say the coming morning renews in her at the Great Pond?
10. How does the narrator of 'The Plum Trees' say happiness must be tempted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was John Chapman, and how did he change the history and landscape of America?
Essay Topic 2
Some of these poems alluded to Oliver's belief in God and her religious views. How did this this religious center affect the tone of the poems and the messages being presented in them?
Essay Topic 3
In 'Crossing the Swamp' Oliver talks about how trials and hardships have shaped her life. What are some of the ways her life was shaped by these things, and how did she present these ideas in this poem.
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)