|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'John Chapman', what state does John Chapman live in?
2. What is the whorehouse filled with?
3. In 'Clapp's Pond', what does the narrator see drinking from the lake miles away?
4. What does the narrator want to do to the stranger in 'Flying'?
5. What did John Chapman call women in 'John Chapman'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the person in 'Skunk Cabbage' looking for, and what do they find?
2. What is the central theme in the first four poems?
3. What kind of annoyances does the narrator of 'Egrets' face while going to see the egrets?
4. What question does the narrator want to ask the stranger on the plane in 'Flying'?
5. How does the narrator of 'Fall Song' describe the present time?
6. What chafes the narrator in 'Fall Song'?
7. What does the first snow do to familiar things in the poem 'First Snow'?
8. What does the alligator in 'Postcard From Flamingo' do?
9. What is 'Ghosts' really about?
10. In 'First Snow', what is brought about by the first snow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was John Chapman, and how did he change the history and landscape of America?
Essay Topic 2
What was the main theme in 'Flying' and what kinds of literary devices were used to present this interesting and unique theme?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect the tone of the poems that had this as a central theme?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)