|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people does the narrator walk through the whorehouse with in 'An Old Whorehouse'?
2. How many crows hunt together in 'Crows and Owls'?
3. What does the crow dream about in 'Crows and Owls'?
4. What does the narrator of 'Clapp's Pond' do when it starts to rain?
5. What made people think Lydia was taken by Indians in 'The Lost Children'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the first snow do to familiar things in the poem 'First Snow'?
2. What is the main metaphor used in 'Lightning'?
3. In 'First Snow', what is brought about by the first snow?
4. What does the narrator in 'University Hospital, Boston' think about when she hears how old the hospital is?
5. How does the narrator feel as she drives to the White Forest in 'The Bobcat'?
6. Who was John Chapman?
7. What kind of annoyances does the narrator of 'Egrets' face while going to see the egrets?
8. How does the narrator of 'Fall Song' describe the present time?
9. What does the narrator's companion tell her over and over while at the hospital in 'University Hospital, Boston'?
10. Where does personification fit in 'Lightning'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in these poems. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the different natural settings included in this collection, and what did they each indicate about Oliver's personality?
Essay Topic 3
What happened to the 'Lost Children', and what were some of the theories Oliver had about these circumstances.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)