|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'The Lost Children', what was near the footprints found of Lydia's?
2. How long does the storm in 'Lightning' last?
3. What does the narrator say the wind has in 'Web'?
4. How do men protect themselves when it grows colder, according to 'Cold Poem'?
5. How did Isaac go missing in 'The Lost Children'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was John Chapman?
2. What does the person in 'Skunk Cabbage' love about the woods?
3. What does the narrator's companion tell her over and over while at the hospital in 'University Hospital, Boston'?
4. What do the Sioux say about ghosts in the poem 'Ghosts'?
5. What does the narrator in 'University Hospital, Boston' think about when she hears how old the hospital is?
6. What does the narrator say about the trees at the Boston Hospital in 'University Hospital, Boston'?
7. What does the alligator in 'Postcard From Flamingo' do?
8. In 'The Kitten', what does the narrator feel as she buries the kitten, and why?
9. What is the central theme in the first four poems?
10. What does the narrator of 'August' accept during the poem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of these poems alluded to Oliver's belief in God and her religious views. How did this this religious center affect the tone of the poems and the messages being presented in them?
Essay Topic 2
Which poem did you relate to the most in this book? Why is this? What about this poem touched you, and why?
Essay Topic 3
What happened to the 'Lost Children', and what were some of the theories Oliver had about these circumstances.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)