|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many crows hunt together in 'Crows and Owls'?
2. What season does 'Mushrooms' take place in?
3. What makes John Chapman a legend in 'John Chapman'?
4. What does the changing water remind the blue heron of in 'A Poem For the Blue Heron'?
5. What beats the roof in 'Lightning'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the fifth part of 'Little Sister Pond'?
2. What sound does the narrator describe at the beginning of 'Postcard from Flamingo'?
3. Who was John Chapman?
4. What does the narrator of 'Little Sister Pond' compare the moon to?
5. What does the narrator of 'Tecumseh' say is worse than risking death?
6. What happens in the sixth part of 'Little Sister Pond'?
7. What does the narrator of 'The Plum Trees' say a man must not succumb to?
8. What does the narrator think about while watching nature in Flamingo?
9. In 'First Snow', what is brought about by the first snow?
10. What does the narrator of 'August' accept during the poem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of these poems dealt with Oliver's thoughts about the treatment of Indians. What are some of the main incidents of this, and how was her tone and opinion presented in these poems?
Essay Topic 2
What was the main theme in 'Flying' and what kinds of literary devices were used to present this interesting and unique theme?
Essay Topic 3
Many mother and daughter relationships were described in this collection of poems. What were some of these highlighted relationships, and how did they affect Oliver and her writing?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)