|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month does the narrator of 'A Poem for the Blue Heron' see the blue heron?
2. What makes John Chapman a legend in 'John Chapman'?
3. What kind of home does the blue heron leave to find in 'A Poem For the Blue Heron'?
4. What is the narrator unsure she can do in 'Web'?
5. In 'The Lost Children', what was near the footprints found of Lydia's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator think about while watching nature in Flamingo?
2. What question is asked at the beginning of 'Ghosts'?
3. What question does the narrator want to ask the stranger on the plane in 'Flying'?
4. How does the narrator of 'Fall Song' describe the present time?
5. Who was John Chapman?
6. In 'The Bobcat', what does the bobcat do that astounds the narrator?
7. What do the Sioux say about ghosts in the poem 'Ghosts'?
8. What does the narrator see before leaving the hospital in 'University Hospital, Boston'?
9. How do most people feel about vultures according to the narrator of 'Vultures'?
10. What are the vultures in 'Vultures' compared to in an ironic analogy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of these poems dealt with Oliver's thoughts about the treatment of Indians. What are some of the main incidents of this, and how was her tone and opinion presented in these poems?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the different natural settings included in this collection, and what did they each indicate about Oliver's personality?
Essay Topic 3
There was a lot of interesting advice given and received in these poems. What are some examples of this advice, and what were the consequences of it?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)