|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the lightning teach the narrator about in 'Lightning'?
2. What do the moles hide under in 'Moles'?
3. Who does the narrator feel most sorry for in 'The Lost Children'?
4. What does John Chapman always try to honor in 'John Chapman'?
5. What does the narrator say happens to the woods in the winter in 'A Poem for the Blue Heron'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator's companion tell her over and over while at the hospital in 'University Hospital, Boston'?
2. In 'The Bobcat', what does the bobcat do that astounds the narrator?
3. What does the first snow do to familiar things in the poem 'First Snow'?
4. What does the alligator in 'Postcard From Flamingo' do?
5. What question is asked at the beginning of 'Ghosts'?
6. What is the central theme in the first four poems?
7. In 'The Kitten', what does the narrator feel as she buries the kitten, and why?
8. How do most people feel about vultures according to the narrator of 'Vultures'?
9. In 'First Snow', what is brought about by the first snow?
10. What does the narrator in 'University Hospital, Boston' think about when she hears how old the hospital is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the questions asked in 'The Gardens' and how did their unanswered status affect the tone of the poem?
Essay Topic 2
Oliver puts a huge emphasis on optimism in many of these poems. Which poems presented this idea, and how did they differ in the way each presented this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Many of these poems dealt with Oliver's thoughts about the treatment of Indians. What are some of the main incidents of this, and how was her tone and opinion presented in these poems?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)