|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the blue heron looking for in 'A Poem for the Blue Heron'?
2. According to 'John Chapman', what decision must people make when they are in pain?
3. In 'John Chapman', what state does John Chapman live in?
4. What does the narrator of 'A Poem for the Blue Heron' build lots of when it grows cold?
5. What does the narrator see sizzling under the door in 'Web'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator see before leaving the hospital in 'University Hospital, Boston'?
2. What kind of annoyances does the narrator of 'Egrets' face while going to see the egrets?
3. What question is asked at the beginning of 'Ghosts'?
4. What is the person in 'Skunk Cabbage' looking for, and what do they find?
5. What is the main metaphor used in 'Lightning'?
6. What chafes the narrator in 'Fall Song'?
7. What are the vultures in 'Vultures' compared to in an ironic analogy?
8. What does the narrator of 'Egrets' say allows them to step without fear?
9. What does the alligator in 'Postcard From Flamingo' do?
10. In 'The Bobcat', what does the bobcat do that astounds the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of these poems dealt with Oliver's thoughts about the treatment of Indians. What are some of the main incidents of this, and how was her tone and opinion presented in these poems?
Essay Topic 2
Foolishness was a very common folly highlighted in this collection of poems. What are some of the main examples of this, and what message was being sent through these examples of blatant foolishness?
Essay Topic 3
There was a lot of interesting advice given and received in these poems. What are some examples of this advice, and what were the consequences of it?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)