|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes John Chapman a legend in 'John Chapman'?
2. What did the narrator think Isaac caught when he went missing in 'The Lost Children'?
3. How many crows hunt together in 'Crows and Owls'?
4. What is the whorehouse filled with?
5. What is the blue heron looking for in 'A Poem for the Blue Heron'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was John Chapman?
2. What does the person in 'Skunk Cabbage' love about the woods?
3. How do most people feel about vultures according to the narrator of 'Vultures'?
4. Where does personification fit in 'Lightning'?
5. What does the narrator in 'University Hospital, Boston' think about when she hears how old the hospital is?
6. What is the ironic idea included in 'Mushrooms'?
7. In 'The Bobcat', what does the bobcat do that astounds the narrator?
8. How does the narrator of 'Fall Song' describe the present time?
9. What are the vultures in 'Vultures' compared to in an ironic analogy?
10. What does the narrator see before leaving the hospital in 'University Hospital, Boston'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of these poems alluded to Oliver's belief in God and her religious views. How did this this religious center affect the tone of the poems and the messages being presented in them?
Essay Topic 2
Foolishness was a very common folly highlighted in this collection of poems. What are some of the main examples of this, and what message was being sent through these examples of blatant foolishness?
Essay Topic 3
Many of these poems dealt with Oliver's thoughts about the treatment of Indians. What are some of the main incidents of this, and how was her tone and opinion presented in these poems?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)