|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the shark heading for the seals in 'Cold Poem'?
2. What does the lightning teach the narrator about in 'Lightning'?
3. What is the only part of the narrator's body she is concerned with in 'August'?
4. Why do some people not gather the mushrooms in 'Mushrooms'?
5. How does the narrator get into the whorehouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main metaphor used in 'Lightning'?
2. How do most people feel about vultures according to the narrator of 'Vultures'?
3. What does the narrator's companion tell her over and over while at the hospital in 'University Hospital, Boston'?
4. What is the ironic idea included in 'Mushrooms'?
5. Where does personification fit in 'Lightning'?
6. Who was John Chapman?
7. What does the narrator in 'University Hospital, Boston' think about when she hears how old the hospital is?
8. How does the narrator feel as she drives to the White Forest in 'The Bobcat'?
9. What does the alligator in 'Postcard From Flamingo' do?
10. In 'The Kitten', what does the narrator feel as she buries the kitten, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which poem did you relate to the most in this book? Why is this? What about this poem touched you, and why?
Essay Topic 2
What was the main theme in 'Flying' and what kinds of literary devices were used to present this interesting and unique theme?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the questions asked in 'The Gardens' and how did their unanswered status affect the tone of the poem?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)