|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the narrator when she walks through the whorehouse?
2. What does the narrator see sizzling under the door in 'Web'?
3. What makes John Chapman a legend in 'John Chapman'?
4. How did Isaac go missing in 'The Lost Children'?
5. How long did it take for Lydia's family to find where she slept in 'The Lost Children'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the central theme in the first four poems?
2. What kind of annoyances does the narrator of 'Egrets' face while going to see the egrets?
3. What does the narrator of 'Egrets' say allows them to step without fear?
4. Who was John Chapman?
5. What does the narrator say about the trees at the Boston Hospital in 'University Hospital, Boston'?
6. What does the person in 'Skunk Cabbage' love about the woods?
7. What does the narrator of 'August' accept during the poem?
8. What does the first snow do to familiar things in the poem 'First Snow'?
9. How do most people feel about vultures according to the narrator of 'Vultures'?
10. What sound does the narrator describe at the beginning of 'Postcard from Flamingo'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Oliver state about happiness in 'The Plum Trees', and how were these ideas substantiated?
Essay Topic 2
What was the main theme in 'Flying' and what kinds of literary devices were used to present this interesting and unique theme?
Essay Topic 3
Oliver puts a huge emphasis on optimism in many of these poems. Which poems presented this idea, and how did they differ in the way each presented this theme?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)