|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'The Lost Children', what was near the footprints found of Lydia's?
2. Who does the narrator feel most sorry for in 'The Lost Children'?
3. How does the narrator describe the shark heading for the seals in 'Cold Poem'?
4. What pulls the mushrooms in 'Mushrooms' from the ground?
5. What season does 'Mushrooms' take place in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the ironic idea included in 'Mushrooms'?
2. In 'The Kitten', what does the narrator feel as she buries the kitten, and why?
3. What is the person in 'Skunk Cabbage' looking for, and what do they find?
4. What question is asked at the beginning of 'Ghosts'?
5. What is the central theme in the first four poems?
6. What is the main metaphor used in 'Lightning'?
7. How does the narrator feel as she drives to the White Forest in 'The Bobcat'?
8. What does the narrator think about while watching nature in Flamingo?
9. What does the narrator in 'University Hospital, Boston' think about when she hears how old the hospital is?
10. What kind of annoyances does the narrator of 'Egrets' face while going to see the egrets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foolishness was a very common folly highlighted in this collection of poems. What are some of the main examples of this, and what message was being sent through these examples of blatant foolishness?
Essay Topic 2
What happened to the 'Lost Children', and what were some of the theories Oliver had about these circumstances.
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in these poems and where does it appear? How is the tone and meaning of the poems altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)