|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Clapp's Pond', how wide is Clapp's Pond?
2. What does the crow call in 'Rain in Ohio'?
3. What does the changing water remind the blue heron of in 'A Poem For the Blue Heron'?
4. How does the narrator describe the shark heading for the seals in 'Cold Poem'?
5. In 'Clapp's Pond', what does the narrator see drinking from the lake miles away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the first snow do to familiar things in the poem 'First Snow'?
2. What does the narrator in 'University Hospital, Boston' think about when she hears how old the hospital is?
3. What does the narrator's companion tell her over and over while at the hospital in 'University Hospital, Boston'?
4. What kind of annoyances does the narrator of 'Egrets' face while going to see the egrets?
5. What do the Sioux say about ghosts in the poem 'Ghosts'?
6. What does the narrator think about while watching nature in Flamingo?
7. What is 'Ghosts' really about?
8. How do most people feel about vultures according to the narrator of 'Vultures'?
9. What does the narrator see before leaving the hospital in 'University Hospital, Boston'?
10. What does the alligator in 'Postcard From Flamingo' do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many mother and daughter relationships were described in this collection of poems. What were some of these highlighted relationships, and how did they affect Oliver and her writing?
Essay Topic 2
What did Oliver state about happiness in 'The Plum Trees', and how were these ideas substantiated?
Essay Topic 3
Through these poems, Oliver presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism affect the tone of her literature?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)