|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the shark heading for the seals in 'Cold Poem'?
2. What does the narrator compare sin to in 'An Old Whorehouse'?
3. What does the narrator see sizzling under the door in 'Web'?
4. Who does the narrator feel most sorry for in 'The Lost Children'?
5. How did Isaac go missing in 'The Lost Children'?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator feel as she drives to the White Forest in 'The Bobcat'?
2. What is the central theme in the first four poems?
3. How do most people feel about vultures according to the narrator of 'Vultures'?
4. What is 'Ghosts' really about?
5. Where does personification fit in 'Lightning'?
6. What does the narrator in 'University Hospital, Boston' think about when she hears how old the hospital is?
7. What is the main metaphor used in 'Lightning'?
8. What kind of annoyances does the narrator of 'Egrets' face while going to see the egrets?
9. What question is asked at the beginning of 'Ghosts'?
10. What does the person in 'Skunk Cabbage' love about the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society were described. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 2
Many of these poems dealt with Oliver's thoughts about the treatment of Indians. What are some of the main incidents of this, and how was her tone and opinion presented in these poems?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the questions asked in 'The Gardens' and how did their unanswered status affect the tone of the poem?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)