|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator recognize for the first time in 'Web'?
2. What does the narrator say man has a secret love for in 'Cold Poem'?
3. How long does the storm in 'Lightning' last?
4. How do men protect themselves when it grows colder, according to 'Cold Poem'?
5. What is the blue heron looking for in 'A Poem for the Blue Heron'?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 'Crossing the Swamp', what does the narrator say she hopes to make of her life?
2. What do the fish do in the secret pools in 'Climbing the Chagrin River'?
3. What does the narrator in 'University Hospital, Boston' think about when she hears how old the hospital is?
4. What does the narrator see before leaving the hospital in 'University Hospital, Boston'?
5. What does the narrator of 'Egrets' say allows them to step without fear?
6. What does the first snow do to familiar things in the poem 'First Snow'?
7. How does the narrator say a person would know Tecumseh if they saw him?
8. How do most people feel about vultures according to the narrator of 'Vultures'?
9. What does the narrator in 'Something' learn the worth of after her lover dies?
10. What does the narrator think about while watching nature in Flamingo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of these poems dealt with Oliver's thoughts about the treatment of Indians. What are some of the main incidents of this, and how was her tone and opinion presented in these poems?
Essay Topic 2
What did Oliver learn from the blue heron, and how did this change her actions?
Essay Topic 3
What happened to the 'Lost Children', and what were some of the theories Oliver had about these circumstances.
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)