|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did it take for Lydia's family to find where she slept in 'The Lost Children'?
2. Where is the narrator in 'Flying'?
3. What does the changing water remind the blue heron of in 'A Poem For the Blue Heron'?
4. How does the narrator describe the shark heading for the seals in 'Cold Poem'?
5. What is the only part of the narrator's body she is concerned with in 'August'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sad event happens in the second part of 'Something'?
2. What happens in the fifth part of 'Little Sister Pond'?
3. What do the lovers in 'Something' do?
4. Who was John Chapman?
5. What does the narrator think about while watching nature in Flamingo?
6. What is said to have happened to Tecumseh's body?
7. What sound does the narrator describe at the beginning of 'Postcard from Flamingo'?
8. What are the vultures in 'Vultures' compared to in an ironic analogy?
9. What does honey fill a person with according to the narrator of 'Honey at the Table'?
10. What does the narrator in 'University Hospital, Boston' think about when she hears how old the hospital is?
Essay Topic 1
What did Oliver learn from the blue heron, and how did this change her actions?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in these poems and where does it appear? How is the tone and meaning of the poems altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the different natural settings included in this collection, and what did they each indicate about Oliver's personality?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)