|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Chapman use as a hat in 'John Chapman'?
2. What springs up behind John Chapman as he wanders in 'John Chapman'?
3. What does the narrator recognize for the first time in 'Web'?
4. What does the narrator eat in 'August'?
5. What was Lydia doing when she went missing in 'The Lost Children'?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 'First Snow', what is brought about by the first snow?
2. What does the first snow do to familiar things in the poem 'First Snow'?
3. How does the narrator of 'Fall Song' describe the present time?
4. What question does the narrator want to ask the stranger on the plane in 'Flying'?
5. How does the narrator feel as she drives to the White Forest in 'The Bobcat'?
6. What is the person in 'Skunk Cabbage' looking for, and what do they find?
7. Who was John Chapman?
8. What does the narrator of 'Egrets' say allows them to step without fear?
9. What question is asked at the beginning of 'Ghosts'?
10. What is 'Ghosts' really about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in these poems and where does it appear? How is the tone and meaning of the poems altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Oliver puts a huge emphasis on optimism in many of these poems. Which poems presented this idea, and how did they differ in the way each presented this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Which poem did you relate to the most in this book? Why is this? What about this poem touched you, and why?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)