|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some people label the beast in 'Tasting the Wild Grapes' as?
2. What does the narrator say moles accomplish during their lives in 'Moles'?
3. Who does the narrator feel most sorry for in 'The Lost Children'?
4. What does John Chapman also use his hat for in 'John Chapman'?
5. How does the narrator describe the stranger in 'Flying'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator's companion tell her over and over while at the hospital in 'University Hospital, Boston'?
2. In 'The Kitten', what does the narrator feel as she buries the kitten, and why?
3. What does the narrator of 'Egrets' say allows them to step without fear?
4. What does the narrator say about the trees at the Boston Hospital in 'University Hospital, Boston'?
5. What is the person in 'Skunk Cabbage' looking for, and what do they find?
6. What does the narrator of 'August' accept during the poem?
7. What is 'Ghosts' really about?
8. What does the first snow do to familiar things in the poem 'First Snow'?
9. What do the Sioux say about ghosts in the poem 'Ghosts'?
10. What does the narrator see before leaving the hospital in 'University Hospital, Boston'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Oliver state about happiness in 'The Plum Trees', and how were these ideas substantiated?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society were described. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 3
Which poem did you relate to the most in this book? Why is this? What about this poem touched you, and why?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)