Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator see sizzling under the door in 'Web'?
2. What is the whorehouse filled with?
3. What does the crow call in 'Rain in Ohio'?
4. Where does the snake hide when the rain comes in 'Rain in Ohio'?
5. Who does the narrator feel most sorry for in 'The Lost Children'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What question is asked at the beginning of 'Ghosts'?
2. What does the narrator think about while watching nature in Flamingo?
3. What sad event happens in the second part of 'Something'?
4. How do most people feel about vultures according to the narrator of 'Vultures'?
5. Who was John Chapman?
6. What does the narrator do in the second part of 'The Garden'?
7. What does the narrator of 'Morning at Great Pond' say the coming morning renews in her at the Great Pond?
8. What do the fish do in the secret pools in 'Climbing the Chagrin River'?
9. In 'Crossing the Swamp', what does the narrator say she hopes to make of her life?
10. What does the narrator of 'The Roses' compare the blooming of the roses to?
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in these poems and where does it appear? How is the tone and meaning of the poems altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Which poem did you relate to the most in this book? Why is this? What about this poem touched you, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in these poems. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)