|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did it take for Lydia's family to find where she slept in 'The Lost Children'?
2. What does John Chapman use as a hat in 'John Chapman'?
3. What do some people label the beast in 'Tasting the Wild Grapes' as?
4. In 'John Chapman', what state does John Chapman live in?
5. How did Isaac go missing in 'The Lost Children'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the person in 'Skunk Cabbage' love about the woods?
2. How do most people feel about vultures according to the narrator of 'Vultures'?
3. What is the person in 'Skunk Cabbage' looking for, and what do they find?
4. What is the main metaphor used in 'Lightning'?
5. What sound does the narrator describe at the beginning of 'Postcard from Flamingo'?
6. What question does the narrator want to ask the stranger on the plane in 'Flying'?
7. In 'The Kitten', what does the narrator feel as she buries the kitten, and why?
8. What are the vultures in 'Vultures' compared to in an ironic analogy?
9. What question is asked at the beginning of 'Ghosts'?
10. What does the narrator's companion tell her over and over while at the hospital in 'University Hospital, Boston'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Oliver learn from the blue heron, and how did this change her actions?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the questions asked in 'The Gardens' and how did their unanswered status affect the tone of the poem?
Essay Topic 3
What was the main theme in 'Flying' and what kinds of literary devices were used to present this interesting and unique theme?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)