|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Isaac when he went missing in 'The Lost Children'?
2. What does the narrator say moles accomplish during their lives in 'Moles'?
3. How did the narrator of 'The Kitten' feel when she buried the kitten?
4. What was Isaac's last name in 'The Lost Children'?
5. What does the narrator want to do to the stranger in 'Flying'?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 'First Snow', what is brought about by the first snow?
2. How does the narrator of 'Fall Song' describe the present time?
3. How does the narrator feel as she drives to the White Forest in 'The Bobcat'?
4. What is the central theme in the first four poems?
5. What does the narrator think about while watching nature in Flamingo?
6. What is the main metaphor used in 'Lightning'?
7. What sound does the narrator describe at the beginning of 'Postcard from Flamingo'?
8. What does the narrator in 'University Hospital, Boston' think about when she hears how old the hospital is?
9. Where does personification fit in 'Lightning'?
10. What does the narrator see before leaving the hospital in 'University Hospital, Boston'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in these poems and where does it appear? How is the tone and meaning of the poems altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Many mother and daughter relationships were described in this collection of poems. What were some of these highlighted relationships, and how did they affect Oliver and her writing?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society were described. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)