|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the crow dream about in 'Crows and Owls'?
(a) Laying eggs.
(b) Finding a lover.
(c) Catching an owl.
(d) Beating a man.
2. What do some people label the beast in 'Tasting the Wild Grapes' as?
(a) A sound.
(b) A nuisance.
(c) A vision.
(d) A thought.
3. What does the Robin call in 'Rain in Ohio'?
4. Who does the narrator feel most sorry for in 'The Lost Children'?
(a) The siblings.
(b) The abductors.
(c) The parents.
(d) The children.
5. Which of these is used to describe the moles in 'Moles'?
(b) All of these.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shines in 'Lightning'?
2. What was Lydia doing when she went missing in 'The Lost Children'?
3. What makes the crows so angry with the owl in 'Crows and Owls'?
4. How does the narrator describe the shark heading for the seals in 'Cold Poem'?
5. How did Isaac feel when he returned to the world in 'The Lost Children'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say about the trees at the Boston Hospital in 'University Hospital, Boston'?
2. What does the first snow do to familiar things in the poem 'First Snow'?
3. What are the vultures in 'Vultures' compared to in an ironic analogy?
4. What does the narrator of 'August' accept during the poem?
5. What is 'Ghosts' really about?
6. What sound does the narrator describe at the beginning of 'Postcard from Flamingo'?
7. What chafes the narrator in 'Fall Song'?
8. What is the main metaphor used in 'Lightning'?
9. In 'The Kitten', what does the narrator feel as she buries the kitten, and why?
10. What is the central theme in the first four poems?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)