|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Isaac when he went missing in 'The Lost Children'?
2. What does the narrator of 'Clapp's Pond' do when it starts to rain?
(a) Makes her way home.
(b) Goes inside her tent.
(c) Dances in the rain.
(d) Puts more logs on the fire.
3. What springs up behind John Chapman as he wanders in 'John Chapman'?
(a) Apple trees.
(b) Weeds and thistles.
(d) Fond memories.
4. What does John Chapman also use his hat for in 'John Chapman'?
(c) A weapon.
5. What kind of home does the blue heron leave to find in 'A Poem For the Blue Heron'?
(a) A shallow ditch.
(b) A cave.
(c) A nest.
(d) A tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator in 'August' compare what she is eating to?
2. What does John Chapman always try to honor in 'John Chapman'?
3. What did John Chapman call women in 'John Chapman'?
4. What shines in 'Lightning'?
5. What does the narrator say happens to the woods in the winter in 'A Poem for the Blue Heron'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator of 'Egrets' say allows them to step without fear?
2. What does the alligator in 'Postcard From Flamingo' do?
3. Where does personification fit in 'Lightning'?
4. What do the Sioux say about ghosts in the poem 'Ghosts'?
5. In 'The Kitten', what does the narrator feel as she buries the kitten, and why?
6. What does the narrator think about while watching nature in Flamingo?
7. What question does the narrator want to ask the stranger on the plane in 'Flying'?
8. How do most people feel about vultures according to the narrator of 'Vultures'?
9. What are the vultures in 'Vultures' compared to in an ironic analogy?
10. What is the central theme in the first four poems?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)