|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator get into the whorehouse?
(a) She climbs through a hole in the roof.
(b) She breaks down the door.
(c) She climbs through a broken window.
(d) She uses a skeleton key.
2. What does the narrator in 'August' compare what she is eating to?
3. What does the dust try to hide in the whorehouse?
(a) The allure.
(b) The sin.
(c) The past.
(d) The glamour.
4. What is the narrator unsure she can do in 'Web'?
5. What is the whorehouse filled with?
(c) Old clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where could the narrator in 'The Kitten' have taken the kitten?
2. How many crows hunt together in 'Crows and Owls'?
3. What do some people label the beast in 'Tasting the Wild Grapes' as?
4. What does John Chapman always try to honor in 'John Chapman'?
5. What does the narrator see sizzling under the door in 'Web'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator of 'The Plum Trees' say a man must not succumb to?
2. What is the narrator's head full of in 'Blackberries'?
3. What does the narrator of 'Egrets' say allows them to step without fear?
4. What is the prayer whispered in 'The Garden', and who is it meant for?
5. How does the narrator of 'The Plum Trees' say happiness must be tempted?
6. What is the central theme in the first four poems?
7. In 'The Kitten', what does the narrator feel as she buries the kitten, and why?
8. What is the ironic idea included in 'Mushrooms'?
9. In 'Crossing the Swamp', what does the narrator say she hopes to make of her life?
10. What does the narrator of 'August' accept during the poem?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)