|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the lightning teach the narrator about in 'Lightning'?
(a) Human nature.
2. What makes the crows so angry with the owl in 'Crows and Owls'?
(a) It allowed a crow to be killed.
(b) It mocked the crows' loss.
(c) It took over the crows' nest.
(d) It killed a crow.
3. According to 'John Chapman', what decision must people make when they are in pain?
(a) To heal or fester.
(b) To die or continue.
(c) To feel or ignore.
(d) To prosper or fail.
4. What is thriving at the Boston Hospital?
(a) The trees.
(c) The nurses.
(d) The children.
5. What does the narrator say the wind has in 'Web'?
(c) A mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator feel during the storm in 'Lightning'?
2. What does the narrator say man has a secret love for in 'Cold Poem'?
3. Where does the snake hide when the rain comes in 'Rain in Ohio'?
4. What does John Chapman also use his hat for in 'John Chapman'?
5. How does the narrator describe the stranger in 'Flying'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the first snow do to familiar things in the poem 'First Snow'?
2. What does the narrator of 'August' accept during the poem?
3. In 'The Kitten', what does the narrator feel as she buries the kitten, and why?
4. What does the narrator's companion tell her over and over while at the hospital in 'University Hospital, Boston'?
5. In 'First Snow', what is brought about by the first snow?
6. What does the person in 'Skunk Cabbage' love about the woods?
7. What sound does the narrator describe at the beginning of 'Postcard from Flamingo'?
8. What does the narrator in 'University Hospital, Boston' think about when she hears how old the hospital is?
9. Where does personification fit in 'Lightning'?
10. What is the person in 'Skunk Cabbage' looking for, and what do they find?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)