|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Isaac doing when he went missing in 'The Lost Children'?
(a) Going for a walk.
(c) Heading to school.
(d) Working in the fields.
2. What was Isaac's last name in 'The Lost Children'?
3. What kind of home does the blue heron leave to find in 'A Poem For the Blue Heron'?
(a) A nest.
(b) A cave.
(c) A shallow ditch.
(d) A tree.
4. What does John Chapman always try to honor in 'John Chapman'?
(a) God's creations.
(b) Government officials.
(c) The law.
(d) The Indians.
5. What does the narrator compare sin to in 'An Old Whorehouse'?
(c) Stagnant water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator of 'Clapp's Pond' say vanishes sometimes at Clapp's Pond?
2. What do some people label the beast in 'Tasting the Wild Grapes' as?
3. What was Lydia's last name in 'The Lost Children'?
4. In 'John Chapman', what state does John Chapman live in?
5. According to 'John Chapman', what decision must people make when they are in pain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the person in 'Skunk Cabbage' looking for, and what do they find?
2. What question does the narrator want to ask the stranger on the plane in 'Flying'?
3. What does the narrator of 'August' accept during the poem?
4. What does the alligator in 'Postcard From Flamingo' do?
5. What does the narrator of 'Egrets' say allows them to step without fear?
6. What is the central theme in the first four poems?
7. What is 'Ghosts' really about?
8. What does the first snow do to familiar things in the poem 'First Snow'?
9. What does the narrator's companion tell her over and over while at the hospital in 'University Hospital, Boston'?
10. In 'The Bobcat', what does the bobcat do that astounds the narrator?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)