|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did the British want the Americans to limit their Pacific objectives during World War II?
2. To where did MacArthur move his advance base once he had the Japanese in retreat?
3. What nickname did Jean MacArthur use for her husband in her letters to him?
4. What did MacArthur tell the press would happen in Korea if he didn't receive more troops?
5. What did MacArthur say a nation should do if it wasn't willing to make the full military commitment to winning a war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss MacArthur's experience as superintendent of West Point and the changes he made in that office. How did his experience as a West Point cadet influence his plans for revamping the military academy's programs? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast MacArthur's relationships with General Pershing, Quezon, Admiral Nimitz, and Eisenhower. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss MacArthur's policies in Korea and how they conflicted with what the Joint Chiefs of Staff believed should be the United States position in Korea. How did the situation in Korea lead to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army, and how did his conflict with Truman parallel his father's conflict with Taft? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)