|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following abilities did not fall within MacArthur's range of authority in Japan after the war?
2. What was MacArthur's goal for Korea?
3. When did MacArthur return to the Rock after having to flee it when the Japanese attacked in 1941?
4. What Japanese government document did MacArthur help write?
5. Who was the Japanese commander of the Philippine defenses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Operation Ketsu-Go?
2. What was island hopping and why did MacArthur not engage in it?
3. What problems did the US public and the US military have with maps of the Pacific during World War II?
4. How was the decision to dismiss MacArthur communicated to MacArthur?
5. Who wanted MacArthur to run for President against Roosevelt in 1944 and how did MacArthur claim to feel about politics at that time?
6. At the beginning of the Korean War, what factors were against the American troops?
7. What kind of government did José Laurel establish in the Philippines during the war, and how did MacArthur feel about this government?
8. What was NSC-68 and how might public knowledge of it have prevented the Korean War?
9. How long were Jean and Arthur separated from General MacArthur during the battle to retake the Philippines, and what arrangements did Jean make for Arthur's education once she and her son returned to the islands?
10. Why did MacArthur want to launch an amphibious attack against the North Koreans at Inchon and what objections did his advisers have against that location?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Douglas MacArthur's childhood and education with that of his son, Arthur IV. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Arthur MacArthur Jr.'s political policies in the Philippines and how they brought him into conflict with President Taft. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why you think William Manchester chose the title American Caesar for his biography of General Douglas MacArthur, and what parallels you see between MacArthur and Caesar.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)