|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did the British want the Americans to limit their Pacific objectives during World War II?
2. Why did Americans at home during World War II have trouble following the war in the Pacific?
3. What title was MacArthur given on April 18, 1942?
4. For whom did the 400,000 Japanese soldiers occupying the Philippines in 1944 think it would be a supreme honor to die in battle?
5. How high was the Anglo-American commitment of military resources to the Pacific?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did MacArthur demonstrate his knowledge of the Japanese culture and thinking in his treatment of the Japanese after their surrender?
2. How did American code-breakers contribute to the war effort in the Pacific?
3. Why were the Japanese people still convinced that they were winning the war once MacArthur retook the Philippines?
4. What kind of authority did MacArthur have in Japan after the surrender of Hirohito?
5. Who wanted MacArthur to run for President against Roosevelt in 1944 and how did MacArthur claim to feel about politics at that time?
6. What problems did the US public and the US military have with maps of the Pacific during World War II?
7. How did the American infantry differ from the German and Japanese infantry during World War II?
8. What was the reaction of the American public when MacArthur was dismissed from the Army?
9. Why did wealthy Filipinos collaborate with the Japanese during World War II?
10. What was A-Day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why you think William Manchester chose the title American Caesar for his biography of General Douglas MacArthur, and what parallels you see between MacArthur and Caesar.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss MacArthur's defense of the Philippines during World War II and how the Filipinos were affected by the war. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Arthur MacArthur Jr.'s political policies in the Philippines and how they brought him into conflict with President Taft. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)