|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days after the surrender of the Japanese did MacArthur enter Tokyo?
2. What was MacArthur instructed to do for the South Koreans when the Korean War erupted?
3. How many Americans were MacArthur ordered to evacuate from South Korea once the communists invaded?
4. How long did the British want the Americans to limit their Pacific objectives during World War II?
5. After capturing Seoul, what kind of reforms did MacArthur want to establish there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems did the US public and the US military have with maps of the Pacific during World War II?
2. Why were the Japanese people still convinced that they were winning the war once MacArthur retook the Philippines?
3. How did MacArthur deal with the issue of Filipinos who had collaborated with the Japanese?
4. What was public opinion of MacArthur like once he broke through the Japanese blockade in March, 1942?
5. What led to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army after fifty two years of service?
6. How was the decision to dismiss MacArthur communicated to MacArthur?
7. What was Operation Ketsu-Go?
8. How important did MacArthur consider airplanes and aerial assaults during the War in the Pacific?
9. How long were Jean and Arthur separated from General MacArthur during the battle to retake the Philippines, and what arrangements did Jean make for Arthur's education once she and her son returned to the islands?
10. At the beginning of the Korean War, what factors were against the American troops?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss MacArthur's political influence over the years and his political ambitions. Why did he think he was a better choice than Eisenhower, and why did Eisenhower win the Republican nomination over MacArthur? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss MacArthur's defense of the Philippines during World War II and how the Filipinos were affected by the war. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments
Essay Topic 3
Discuss MacArthur's help in establishing the post war government in Japan. How did the Japanese feel about him? What did the United Nations protest about his actions in Japan? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)