|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was MacArthur's greatest friend and confidante during the war, the person with whom he spent as much time as possible?
2. Which of the following is not a problem MacArthur had with maps of the Pacific during World War II?
3. How did the wily MacArthur label the box containing his tea service, candelabra, and other personal items so that the box survived the attack on Manila?
4. Who was the Japanese commander of the Philippine defenses?
5. To where did MacArthur move his advance base once he had the Japanese in retreat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was NSC-68 and how might public knowledge of it have prevented the Korean War?
2. What was the Japanese reaction when the MacArthurs left Tokyo on April 16, 1951?
3. What was Operation Ketsu-Go?
4. What was the status of women in Japanese society when the Japanese surrendered and ended World War II?
5. What led to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army after fifty two years of service?
6. How did MacArthur demonstrate his knowledge of the Japanese culture and thinking in his treatment of the Japanese after their surrender?
7. How long were Jean and Arthur separated from General MacArthur during the battle to retake the Philippines, and what arrangements did Jean make for Arthur's education once she and her son returned to the islands?
8. What problems did the US public and the US military have with maps of the Pacific during World War II?
9. Why did MacArthur want to launch an amphibious attack against the North Koreans at Inchon and what objections did his advisers have against that location?
10. What was the reaction of the American public when MacArthur was dismissed from the Army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss MacArthur's marriage to Jean Faircloth. What factors made this second marriage more successful than the general's first marriage? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss MacArthur's strengths and his weaknesses. Which characteristics of MacArthur helped his military career and which characteristics hindered it? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Douglas MacArthur's childhood and his education. How did his childhood and education equip him for his career in the military? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)