|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following abilities did not fall within MacArthur's range of authority in Japan after the war?
2. How many reporters accompanied MacArthur to South Korea on his first trip there during the war?
3. How did the media and the public respond once MacArthur broke through the blockade?
4. How did MacArthur treat Manuel Roxas, a known Japanese collaborator, after liberating the Philippines from Japanese rule?
5. When the South Koreans sustained heavy losses at Yalu, troops from which nation were identified as having helped the North Koreans in battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the Japanese people still convinced that they were winning the war once MacArthur retook the Philippines?
2. What was A-Day?
3. How did MacArthur demonstrate his knowledge of the Japanese culture and thinking in his treatment of the Japanese after their surrender?
4. How did MacArthur befuddle the Japanese forces at Rabaul, and how did his unexpected behavior affect the Japanese?
5. How did American code-breakers contribute to the war effort in the Pacific?
6. What was island hopping and why did MacArthur not engage in it?
7. How was the everyday life of the Filipinos affected by the war and the Japanese occupation?
8. What was the status of women in Japanese society when the Japanese surrendered and ended World War II?
9. What changes in Korea in the late 1940's indicated that a war might be imminent?
10. What was the Japanese reaction when the MacArthurs left Tokyo on April 16, 1951?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss MacArthur's experience as superintendent of West Point and the changes he made in that office. How did his experience as a West Point cadet influence his plans for revamping the military academy's programs? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss MacArthur's help in establishing the post war government in Japan. How did the Japanese feel about him? What did the United Nations protest about his actions in Japan? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss MacArthur's marriage to Louise Brooks. What objections did General Pershing and Pinky MacArthur have to the union? What conflicts arose during the marriage? How did the marriage affect MacArthur's career? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)