|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Japanese think an invasion of their homeland was impossible?
2. How many days after the surrender of the Japanese did MacArthur enter Tokyo?
3. Which Navy admiral did MacArthur admire?
4. For whom did the 400,000 Japanese soldiers occupying the Philippines in 1944 think it would be a supreme honor to die in battle?
5. Who was MacArthur's greatest friend and confidante during the war, the person with whom he spent as much time as possible?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was NSC-68 and how might public knowledge of it have prevented the Korean War?
2. How did MacArthur demonstrate his knowledge of the Japanese culture and thinking in his treatment of the Japanese after their surrender?
3. Why did MacArthur want to launch an amphibious attack against the North Koreans at Inchon and what objections did his advisers have against that location?
4. Why were the Japanese people still convinced that they were winning the war once MacArthur retook the Philippines?
5. What was Operation Ketsu-Go?
6. What was the reaction of the American public when MacArthur was dismissed from the Army?
7. How did MacArthur befuddle the Japanese forces at Rabaul, and how did his unexpected behavior affect the Japanese?
8. What was the Japanese reaction when the MacArthurs left Tokyo on April 16, 1951?
9. How was the decision to dismiss MacArthur communicated to MacArthur?
10. What was island hopping and why did MacArthur not engage in it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Douglas MacArthur's popularity with the public and his relationship with the press. How did his popularity in the press bring him into conflict with politicians? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Douglas MacArthur's childhood and his education. How did his childhood and education equip him for his career in the military? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss MacArthur's military experiences in World War I with The Rainbow Division and his rise to become commander of the 84th Brigade. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)