|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the surrender of the Japanese, how did MacArthur address the citizens of the United States to inform them that the world was at peace?
2. In the fall of 1944, what percentage of Filipinos were Roman Catholic?
3. Who did President Truman appoint as Supreme Commander for the Allied Powers (SCAP) in Japan?
4. Why did MacArthur fly to Seoul On August 15, 1948?
5. Which of the following abilities did not fall within MacArthur's range of authority in Japan after the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army after fifty two years of service?
2. What was island hopping and why did MacArthur not engage in it?
3. How did the American infantry differ from the German and Japanese infantry during World War II?
4. What problems did the US public and the US military have with maps of the Pacific during World War II?
5. Why did wealthy Filipinos collaborate with the Japanese during World War II?
6. Why did MacArthur want to launch an amphibious attack against the North Koreans at Inchon and what objections did his advisers have against that location?
7. What changes in Korea in the late 1940's indicated that a war might be imminent?
8. How did American code-breakers contribute to the war effort in the Pacific?
9. How did MacArthur befuddle the Japanese forces at Rabaul, and how did his unexpected behavior affect the Japanese?
10. How important did MacArthur consider airplanes and aerial assaults during the War in the Pacific?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the fathering styles of Douglas MacArthur, his father, and grandfather, as well as their relationships with their sons. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Douglas MacArthur's childhood and education with that of his son, Arthur IV. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Douglas MacArthur's childhood and his education. How did his childhood and education equip him for his career in the military? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)