|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the Japanese determined not to let MacArthur retake the Philippines?
2. After the surrender of the Japanese, how did MacArthur address the citizens of the United States to inform them that the world was at peace?
3. Who was named commander of the Pacific Ocean Areas in 1942?
4. What was MacArthur instructed to do for the South Koreans when the Korean War erupted?
5. What cities gave MacArthur parades after his return to the United States from the Pacific once Truman dismissed him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss The Orange Plans and MacArthur's assistance in the militarization of the Philippines in the late 1930's. How did these plans get him into disagreements and get him sent back to the U.S.? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Douglas MacArthur's popularity with the public and his relationship with the press. How did his popularity in the press bring him into conflict with politicians? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Douglas MacArthur's relationship with his mother and her influence on his marriages and career. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)