|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did MacArthur give the vote in Japan?
2. Why did Americans at home during World War II have trouble following the war in the Pacific?
3. Why were the Japanese determined not to let MacArthur retake the Philippines?
4. What nickname did Jean MacArthur use for her husband in her letters to him?
5. What did MacArthur use against Japanese ships near New Guinea to cut off Japanese supplies and reinforcements?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the status of women in Japanese society when the Japanese surrendered and ended World War II?
2. What kind of authority did MacArthur have in Japan after the surrender of Hirohito?
3. How was the decision to dismiss MacArthur communicated to MacArthur?
4. What kind of government did José Laurel establish in the Philippines during the war, and how did MacArthur feel about this government?
5. How did MacArthur deal with the issue of Filipinos who had collaborated with the Japanese?
6. Why were the Japanese people still convinced that they were winning the war once MacArthur retook the Philippines?
7. What was NSC-68 and how might public knowledge of it have prevented the Korean War?
8. How important did MacArthur consider airplanes and aerial assaults during the War in the Pacific?
9. How did the American infantry differ from the German and Japanese infantry during World War II?
10. What led to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army after fifty two years of service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the fathering styles of Douglas MacArthur, his father, and grandfather, as well as their relationships with their sons. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss MacArthur's marriage to Louise Brooks. What objections did General Pershing and Pinky MacArthur have to the union? What conflicts arose during the marriage? How did the marriage affect MacArthur's career? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Douglas MacArthur's childhood and education with that of his son, Arthur IV. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)