|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what did Truman and MacArthur disagree during the Korean war?
2. How did MacArthur treat Manuel Roxas, a known Japanese collaborator, after liberating the Philippines from Japanese rule?
3. Why did MacArthur never send his men to battle on the island of Rabaul?
4. Who was the Japanese commander of the Philippine defenses?
5. Which of the following abilities did not fall within MacArthur's range of authority in Japan after the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How important did MacArthur consider airplanes and aerial assaults during the War in the Pacific?
2. What was the Japanese reaction when the MacArthurs left Tokyo on April 16, 1951?
3. What problems did the US public and the US military have with maps of the Pacific during World War II?
4. At the beginning of the Korean War, what factors were against the American troops?
5. How was the decision to dismiss MacArthur communicated to MacArthur?
6. What conflicts did MacArthur and Truman have as the Korean War progressed?
7. Why did wealthy Filipinos collaborate with the Japanese during World War II?
8. How did MacArthur demonstrate his knowledge of the Japanese culture and thinking in his treatment of the Japanese after their surrender?
9. How did MacArthur deal with the issue of Filipinos who had collaborated with the Japanese?
10. How did the American infantry differ from the German and Japanese infantry during World War II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Douglas MacArthur's childhood and education with that of his son, Arthur IV. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss MacArthur's relationship with his Eurasian girlfriend and how it affected her life and his. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Arthur MacArthur Jr.'s political policies in the Philippines and how they brought him into conflict with President Taft. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)