|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country did MacArthur think would have fallen to the Japanese if Corregidor had not held out?
2. How did the media and the public respond once MacArthur broke through the blockade?
3. Why did the government officials decide to remove MacArthur from command in Korea?
4. What allowed the Allies to successfully thwart the Japanese in the Pacific?
5. What was MacArthur's goal for Korea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the reaction of the American public when MacArthur was dismissed from the Army?
2. Why did wealthy Filipinos collaborate with the Japanese during World War II?
3. How did American code-breakers contribute to the war effort in the Pacific?
4. What was public opinion of MacArthur like once he broke through the Japanese blockade in March, 1942?
5. What was A-Day?
6. What kind of authority did MacArthur have in Japan after the surrender of Hirohito?
7. What was the Japanese reaction when the MacArthurs left Tokyo on April 16, 1951?
8. What changes in Korea in the late 1940's indicated that a war might be imminent?
9. What was the status of women in Japanese society when the Japanese surrendered and ended World War II?
10. How did the American infantry differ from the German and Japanese infantry during World War II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss MacArthur's marriage to Jean Faircloth. What factors made this second marriage more successful than the general's first marriage? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss MacArthur's experience as superintendent of West Point and the changes he made in that office. How did his experience as a West Point cadet influence his plans for revamping the military academy's programs? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss MacArthur's policies in Korea and how they conflicted with what the Joint Chiefs of Staff believed should be the United States position in Korea. How did the situation in Korea lead to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army, and how did his conflict with Truman parallel his father's conflict with Taft? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)