|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Americans were MacArthur ordered to evacuate from South Korea once the communists invaded?
2. When did MacArthur return to the Rock after having to flee it when the Japanese attacked in 1941?
3. Who did Quezon designate as his successor as president of the Philippines should he and Osmeña be killed during their flight to Australia?
4. When did the communist invasion of South Korea and fighting between North and South Korea begin?
5. With which Navy admiral did MacArthur frequently come into conflict?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did MacArthur demonstrate his knowledge of the Japanese culture and thinking in his treatment of the Japanese after their surrender?
2. How was the everyday life of the Filipinos affected by the war and the Japanese occupation?
3. What changes in Korea in the late 1940's indicated that a war might be imminent?
4. How long were Jean and Arthur separated from General MacArthur during the battle to retake the Philippines, and what arrangements did Jean make for Arthur's education once she and her son returned to the islands?
5. What was the Japanese reaction when the MacArthurs left Tokyo on April 16, 1951?
6. How did MacArthur befuddle the Japanese forces at Rabaul, and how did his unexpected behavior affect the Japanese?
7. What kind of authority did MacArthur have in Japan after the surrender of Hirohito?
8. How did American code-breakers contribute to the war effort in the Pacific?
9. What conflicts did MacArthur and Truman have as the Korean War progressed?
10. At the beginning of the Korean War, what factors were against the American troops?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why you think William Manchester chose the title American Caesar for his biography of General Douglas MacArthur, and what parallels you see between MacArthur and Caesar.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss MacArthur's experience as superintendent of West Point and the changes he made in that office. How did his experience as a West Point cadet influence his plans for revamping the military academy's programs? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss MacArthur's strengths and his weaknesses. Which characteristics of MacArthur helped his military career and which characteristics hindered it? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)