|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With which Navy admiral did MacArthur frequently come into conflict?
2. Which two groups among the Filipino population did not ignore their Japanese invaders, unlike the rest of the population?
3. What did critics of MacArthur claim?
4. What nickname did Jean MacArthur use for her husband in her letters to him?
5. How did the wily MacArthur label the box containing his tea service, candelabra, and other personal items so that the box survived the attack on Manila?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Operation Ketsu-Go?
2. What was public opinion of MacArthur like once he broke through the Japanese blockade in March, 1942?
3. How did American code-breakers contribute to the war effort in the Pacific?
4. What led to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army after fifty two years of service?
5. What was A-Day?
6. What was the status of women in Japanese society when the Japanese surrendered and ended World War II?
7. What was the Japanese reaction when the MacArthurs left Tokyo on April 16, 1951?
8. What changes in Korea in the late 1940's indicated that a war might be imminent?
9. How did MacArthur deal with the issue of Filipinos who had collaborated with the Japanese?
10. How did the American infantry differ from the German and Japanese infantry during World War II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Douglas MacArthur's childhood and education with that of his son, Arthur IV. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss MacArthur's marriage to Jean Faircloth. What factors made this second marriage more successful than the general's first marriage? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Douglas MacArthur's popularity with the public and his relationship with the press. How did his popularity in the press bring him into conflict with politicians? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)