|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jean MacArthur returned to the Philippines after her husband liberated the islands, what did she do upon seeing the rags the people were wearing?
2. Which of the following statements does not describe the opinions of MacArthur and the Joint Chiefs of Staff about policy in Korea?
3. How long had MacArthur served in the Army when he was dismissed?
4. According to the United States public polls after World War II, MacArthur was second in popularity to?
5. How many people died in the Korean War?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the everyday life of the Filipinos affected by the war and the Japanese occupation?
2. What led to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army after fifty two years of service?
3. What problems did the US public and the US military have with maps of the Pacific during World War II?
4. What conflicts did MacArthur and Truman have as the Korean War progressed?
5. Why did MacArthur want to launch an amphibious attack against the North Koreans at Inchon and what objections did his advisers have against that location?
6. What changes in Korea in the late 1940's indicated that a war might be imminent?
7. How did MacArthur befuddle the Japanese forces at Rabaul, and how did his unexpected behavior affect the Japanese?
8. At the beginning of the Korean War, what factors were against the American troops?
9. What was Operation Ketsu-Go?
10. What kind of government did José Laurel establish in the Philippines during the war, and how did MacArthur feel about this government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Arthur MacArthur Jr.'s military career with that of his son Douglas. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why you think William Manchester chose the title American Caesar for his biography of General Douglas MacArthur, and what parallels you see between MacArthur and Caesar.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss The Orange Plans and MacArthur's assistance in the militarization of the Philippines in the late 1930's. How did these plans get him into disagreements and get him sent back to the U.S.? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)