|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What factors helped the Japanese succeed in the Pacific during World War II?
2. What did the Japanese do to punish Filipino guerrillas who fought against them?
3. At the end of the Korean War, where was the line between North and South Korea?
4. What important dignitary did Jean MacArthur entertain in New Guinea in 1942 since Douglas was away at Port Moresby at the time?
5. How many American and Filipino prisoners died in the Death March that began once the Japanese captured Corregidor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflicts did MacArthur and Truman have as the Korean War progressed?
2. How did the American infantry differ from the German and Japanese infantry during World War II?
3. What kind of authority did MacArthur have in Japan after the surrender of Hirohito?
4. Why did MacArthur want to launch an amphibious attack against the North Koreans at Inchon and what objections did his advisers have against that location?
5. What problems did the US public and the US military have with maps of the Pacific during World War II?
6. How did MacArthur deal with the issue of Filipinos who had collaborated with the Japanese?
7. Who wanted MacArthur to run for President against Roosevelt in 1944 and how did MacArthur claim to feel about politics at that time?
8. What changes in Korea in the late 1940's indicated that a war might be imminent?
9. What was Operation Ketsu-Go?
10. What was the status of women in Japanese society when the Japanese surrendered and ended World War II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss MacArthur's military experiences in World War I with The Rainbow Division and his rise to become commander of the 84th Brigade. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss MacArthur's marriage to Louise Brooks. What objections did General Pershing and Pinky MacArthur have to the union? What conflicts arose during the marriage? How did the marriage affect MacArthur's career? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss The Orange Plans and MacArthur's assistance in the militarization of the Philippines in the late 1930's. How did these plans get him into disagreements and get him sent back to the U.S.? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)