|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of government did MacArthur establish in Japan after the war?
2. What did MacArthur tell the press would happen in Korea if he didn't receive more troops?
3. In the fall of 1944, what percentage of Filipinos were Roman Catholic?
4. Which Philippine island was nicknamed "the Rock"?
5. How many days after the surrender of the Japanese did MacArthur enter Tokyo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the decision to dismiss MacArthur communicated to MacArthur?
2. How did American code-breakers contribute to the war effort in the Pacific?
3. What was Operation Ketsu-Go?
4. Who wanted MacArthur to run for President against Roosevelt in 1944 and how did MacArthur claim to feel about politics at that time?
5. How did the American infantry differ from the German and Japanese infantry during World War II?
6. How did MacArthur deal with the issue of Filipinos who had collaborated with the Japanese?
7. What was the reaction of the American public when MacArthur was dismissed from the Army?
8. How did MacArthur demonstrate his knowledge of the Japanese culture and thinking in his treatment of the Japanese after their surrender?
9. What was public opinion of MacArthur like once he broke through the Japanese blockade in March, 1942?
10. How important did MacArthur consider airplanes and aerial assaults during the War in the Pacific?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Douglas MacArthur's relationship with his mother and her influence on his marriages and career. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss MacArthur's help in establishing the post war government in Japan. How did the Japanese feel about him? What did the United Nations protest about his actions in Japan? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast MacArthur's relationships with General Pershing, Quezon, Admiral Nimitz, and Eisenhower. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)