|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does not describe an aspect of life in the Philippines in 1944?
2. Why were the Japanese determined not to let MacArthur retake the Philippines?
3. How did MacArthur see the war in the Pacific?
4. What did MacArthur say a nation should do if it wasn't willing to make the full military commitment to winning a war?
5. Which two groups among the Filipino population did not ignore their Japanese invaders, unlike the rest of the population?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the American infantry differ from the German and Japanese infantry during World War II?
2. What was NSC-68 and how might public knowledge of it have prevented the Korean War?
3. What was A-Day?
4. What problems did the US public and the US military have with maps of the Pacific during World War II?
5. Why did MacArthur want to launch an amphibious attack against the North Koreans at Inchon and what objections did his advisers have against that location?
6. How was the everyday life of the Filipinos affected by the war and the Japanese occupation?
7. What led to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army after fifty two years of service?
8. What was island hopping and why did MacArthur not engage in it?
9. What kind of authority did MacArthur have in Japan after the surrender of Hirohito?
10. What was the Japanese reaction when the MacArthurs left Tokyo on April 16, 1951?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Arthur MacArthur Jr.'s military career with that of his son Douglas. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss MacArthur's help in establishing the post war government in Japan. How did the Japanese feel about him? What did the United Nations protest about his actions in Japan? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss MacArthur's policies in Korea and how they conflicted with what the Joint Chiefs of Staff believed should be the United States position in Korea. How did the situation in Korea lead to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army, and how did his conflict with Truman parallel his father's conflict with Taft? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)