|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the wily MacArthur label the box containing his tea service, candelabra, and other personal items so that the box survived the attack on Manila?
2. When the Soviet Union announced in 1949 that it had moved its forces out of North Korea, what did that nation expect the United States to do in response?
3. What was MacArthur's goal for Korea?
4. What allowed the Allies to successfully thwart the Japanese in the Pacific?
5. How many days after the surrender of the Japanese did MacArthur enter Tokyo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did MacArthur befuddle the Japanese forces at Rabaul, and how did his unexpected behavior affect the Japanese?
2. What was A-Day?
3. Why did MacArthur want to launch an amphibious attack against the North Koreans at Inchon and what objections did his advisers have against that location?
4. What was Operation Ketsu-Go?
5. How was the decision to dismiss MacArthur communicated to MacArthur?
6. How long were Jean and Arthur separated from General MacArthur during the battle to retake the Philippines, and what arrangements did Jean make for Arthur's education once she and her son returned to the islands?
7. What was the reaction of the American public when MacArthur was dismissed from the Army?
8. What kind of authority did MacArthur have in Japan after the surrender of Hirohito?
9. What was the Japanese reaction when the MacArthurs left Tokyo on April 16, 1951?
10. What was NSC-68 and how might public knowledge of it have prevented the Korean War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss MacArthur's marriage to Louise Brooks. What objections did General Pershing and Pinky MacArthur have to the union? What conflicts arose during the marriage? How did the marriage affect MacArthur's career? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Douglas MacArthur's childhood and education with that of his son, Arthur IV. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss MacArthur's help in establishing the post war government in Japan. How did the Japanese feel about him? What did the United Nations protest about his actions in Japan? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)