|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Japanese government document did MacArthur help write?
2. What did critics of MacArthur claim?
3. For whom did the 400,000 Japanese soldiers occupying the Philippines in 1944 think it would be a supreme honor to die in battle?
4. Of what disease did Quezon, the Philippine president die?
5. Why did the Japanese think an invasion of their homeland was impossible?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long were Jean and Arthur separated from General MacArthur during the battle to retake the Philippines, and what arrangements did Jean make for Arthur's education once she and her son returned to the islands?
2. Why did MacArthur want to launch an amphibious attack against the North Koreans at Inchon and what objections did his advisers have against that location?
3. What was island hopping and why did MacArthur not engage in it?
4. What was NSC-68 and how might public knowledge of it have prevented the Korean War?
5. How did the American infantry differ from the German and Japanese infantry during World War II?
6. What was public opinion of MacArthur like once he broke through the Japanese blockade in March, 1942?
7. How was the everyday life of the Filipinos affected by the war and the Japanese occupation?
8. What kind of government did José Laurel establish in the Philippines during the war, and how did MacArthur feel about this government?
9. What was Operation Ketsu-Go?
10. What was the Japanese reaction when the MacArthurs left Tokyo on April 16, 1951?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Douglas MacArthur's relationship with his mother and her influence on his marriages and career. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Douglas MacArthur's childhood and education with that of his son, Arthur IV. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why you think William Manchester chose the title American Caesar for his biography of General Douglas MacArthur, and what parallels you see between MacArthur and Caesar.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)