|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was MacArthur instructed to do for the South Koreans when the Korean War erupted?
2. Who did Quezon designate as his successor as president of the Philippines should he and Osmeña be killed during their flight to Australia?
3. What did the Japanese soldiers on Rabaul prefer to do rather than surrender to the Americans?
4. Which of the following is not a problem MacArthur had with maps of the Pacific during World War II?
5. With which Navy admiral did MacArthur frequently come into conflict?
Short Essay Questions
1. How important did MacArthur consider airplanes and aerial assaults during the War in the Pacific?
2. How did MacArthur befuddle the Japanese forces at Rabaul, and how did his unexpected behavior affect the Japanese?
3. What was the status of women in Japanese society when the Japanese surrendered and ended World War II?
4. What conflicts did MacArthur and Truman have as the Korean War progressed?
5. What was public opinion of MacArthur like once he broke through the Japanese blockade in March, 1942?
6. What was island hopping and why did MacArthur not engage in it?
7. How long were Jean and Arthur separated from General MacArthur during the battle to retake the Philippines, and what arrangements did Jean make for Arthur's education once she and her son returned to the islands?
8. How was the everyday life of the Filipinos affected by the war and the Japanese occupation?
9. What led to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army after fifty two years of service?
10. How was the decision to dismiss MacArthur communicated to MacArthur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Arthur MacArthur Jr.'s political policies in the Philippines and how they brought him into conflict with President Taft. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss MacArthur's military experiences in World War I with The Rainbow Division and his rise to become commander of the 84th Brigade. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss MacArthur's political influence over the years and his political ambitions. Why did he think he was a better choice than Eisenhower, and why did Eisenhower win the Republican nomination over MacArthur? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)