|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jean MacArthur returned to the Philippines after her husband liberated the islands, what did she do upon seeing the rags the people were wearing?
2. Why were the Japanese determined not to let MacArthur retake the Philippines?
3. Why did the Japanese think an invasion of their homeland was impossible?
4. How did the wily MacArthur label the box containing his tea service, candelabra, and other personal items so that the box survived the attack on Manila?
5. How many days after the surrender of the Japanese did MacArthur enter Tokyo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the American infantry differ from the German and Japanese infantry during World War II?
2. What conflicts did MacArthur and Truman have as the Korean War progressed?
3. What led to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army after fifty two years of service?
4. How was the decision to dismiss MacArthur communicated to MacArthur?
5. Why did wealthy Filipinos collaborate with the Japanese during World War II?
6. What was the reaction of the American public when MacArthur was dismissed from the Army?
7. Why were the Japanese people still convinced that they were winning the war once MacArthur retook the Philippines?
8. What was the status of women in Japanese society when the Japanese surrendered and ended World War II?
9. Why did MacArthur want to launch an amphibious attack against the North Koreans at Inchon and what objections did his advisers have against that location?
10. How was the everyday life of the Filipinos affected by the war and the Japanese occupation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Douglas MacArthur's popularity with the public and his relationship with the press. How did his popularity in the press bring him into conflict with politicians? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss MacArthur's experience as superintendent of West Point and the changes he made in that office. How did his experience as a West Point cadet influence his plans for revamping the military academy's programs? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the fathering styles of Douglas MacArthur, his father, and grandfather, as well as their relationships with their sons. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)