|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does not describe an aspect of life in the Philippines in 1944?
2. How did the media and the public respond once MacArthur broke through the blockade?
3. How many people died in the Korean War?
4. How many Japanese lined the route to the airport when the MacArthurs departed from Tokyo in 1951?
5. How long did the British want the Americans to limit their Pacific objectives during World War II?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who wanted MacArthur to run for President against Roosevelt in 1944 and how did MacArthur claim to feel about politics at that time?
2. What led to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army after fifty two years of service?
3. What changes in Korea in the late 1940's indicated that a war might be imminent?
4. What was public opinion of MacArthur like once he broke through the Japanese blockade in March, 1942?
5. What was A-Day?
6. Why were the Japanese people still convinced that they were winning the war once MacArthur retook the Philippines?
7. How did MacArthur demonstrate his knowledge of the Japanese culture and thinking in his treatment of the Japanese after their surrender?
8. At the beginning of the Korean War, what factors were against the American troops?
9. What was island hopping and why did MacArthur not engage in it?
10. How was the everyday life of the Filipinos affected by the war and the Japanese occupation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss MacArthur's strengths and his weaknesses. Which characteristics of MacArthur helped his military career and which characteristics hindered it? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss MacArthur's defense of the Philippines during World War II and how the Filipinos were affected by the war. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments
Essay Topic 3
Discuss The Orange Plans and MacArthur's assistance in the militarization of the Philippines in the late 1930's. How did these plans get him into disagreements and get him sent back to the U.S.? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)