|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname did Jean MacArthur use for her husband in her letters to him?
2. Why didn't MacArthur use the strategy of island-hopping, i.e. hitting the enemy with direct frontal pressure in battle?
3. What type of rifle did the Japanese infantry use during World War II?
4. How did The United Nations Security Council respond to the invasion of South Korea by North Korea?
5. What was the public reaction when MacArthur was dismissed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Operation Ketsu-Go?
2. What was A-Day?
3. What was NSC-68 and how might public knowledge of it have prevented the Korean War?
4. Why did wealthy Filipinos collaborate with the Japanese during World War II?
5. How long were Jean and Arthur separated from General MacArthur during the battle to retake the Philippines, and what arrangements did Jean make for Arthur's education once she and her son returned to the islands?
6. What kind of authority did MacArthur have in Japan after the surrender of Hirohito?
7. What was island hopping and why did MacArthur not engage in it?
8. How did the American infantry differ from the German and Japanese infantry during World War II?
9. What kind of government did José Laurel establish in the Philippines during the war, and how did MacArthur feel about this government?
10. How did MacArthur befuddle the Japanese forces at Rabaul, and how did his unexpected behavior affect the Japanese?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss MacArthur's defense of the Philippines during World War II and how the Filipinos were affected by the war. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Douglas MacArthur's relationship with his mother and her influence on his marriages and career. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why you think William Manchester chose the title American Caesar for his biography of General Douglas MacArthur, and what parallels you see between MacArthur and Caesar.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)