|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How high was the Anglo-American commitment of military resources to the Pacific?
2. Which of the following is not a problem MacArthur had with maps of the Pacific during World War II?
3. How long had MacArthur served in the Army when he was dismissed?
4. Which of the following elements was not something encountered by American forces in the Pacific islands during World War II?
5. How many days after the surrender of the Japanese did MacArthur enter Tokyo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the decision to dismiss MacArthur communicated to MacArthur?
2. Why were the Japanese people still convinced that they were winning the war once MacArthur retook the Philippines?
3. How did MacArthur befuddle the Japanese forces at Rabaul, and how did his unexpected behavior affect the Japanese?
4. What was the reaction of the American public when MacArthur was dismissed from the Army?
5. What led to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army after fifty two years of service?
6. How important did MacArthur consider airplanes and aerial assaults during the War in the Pacific?
7. At the beginning of the Korean War, what factors were against the American troops?
8. Why did MacArthur want to launch an amphibious attack against the North Koreans at Inchon and what objections did his advisers have against that location?
9. How did MacArthur deal with the issue of Filipinos who had collaborated with the Japanese?
10. What was island hopping and why did MacArthur not engage in it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss MacArthur's strengths and his weaknesses. Which characteristics of MacArthur helped his military career and which characteristics hindered it? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why you think William Manchester chose the title American Caesar for his biography of General Douglas MacArthur, and what parallels you see between MacArthur and Caesar.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the fathering styles of Douglas MacArthur, his father, and grandfather, as well as their relationships with their sons. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)