|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of remaining at headquarters as he was supposed to, what did MacArthur do during the first big battle near Reims?
2. From where was Arthur MacArthur, Jr.'s bride?
3. What kind of father was Douglas MacArthur?
4. What was the nickname MacArthur's men gave him?
5. When MacArthur returned to active duty in 1941 and was made lieutenant general and put in charge of the troops in the Pacific, how much money was allotted to him to use for the defense of the Philippines?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did MacArthur begin to distinguish himself in the Army?
2. What were some of MacArthur's weaknesses?
3. Who was MacArthur's second wife and how did his second marriage differ from his first?
4. What was MacArthur's early military career like?
5. What were MacArthur's experiences at West Point?
6. What were some of the rumors that surrounded MacArthur?
7. Discuss the MacArthur family history.
8. What was Arthur MacArthur, Jr.'s military career like once the Civil War ended?
9. What was MacArthur's role in the Philippines once it was made a commonwealth in 1946?
10. Who was MacArthur's first wife and why did the marriage end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why you think William Manchester chose the title American Caesar for his biography of General Douglas MacArthur, and what parallels you see between MacArthur and Caesar.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Arthur MacArthur Jr.'s political policies in the Philippines and how they brought him into conflict with President Taft. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss MacArthur's marriage to Jean Faircloth. What factors made this second marriage more successful than the general's first marriage? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)