|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times was MacArthur married?
2. Why did MacArthur have to testify at a Congressional investigation about his experience at West Point?
3. When the Japanese attacked the Philippines, what happened to the United States air fleet stationed there?
4. What was the name of MacArthur's first wife?
5. When did Douglas MacArthur sail for Europe to join World War I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of MacArthur's actions in World War I indicated that he did not always do what he was ordered to do?
2. What was Christmas like for the MacArthur family in 1941?
3. Who was MacArthur's second wife and how did his second marriage differ from his first?
4. What were MacArthur's experiences at West Point?
5. What were some of MacArthur's weaknesses?
6. What were the experiences of Arthur MacArthur, Jr. during the Civil War?
7. Discuss the MacArthur family history.
8. Discuss MacArthur's years as Chief of Staff.
9. What was MacArthur's mother Pinky doing in the States while he was fighting in World War I?
10. What job did General Pershing give MacArthur once World War I ended?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Arthur MacArthur Jr.'s military career with that of his son Douglas. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss MacArthur's marriage to Louise Brooks. What objections did General Pershing and Pinky MacArthur have to the union? What conflicts arose during the marriage? How did the marriage affect MacArthur's career? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss MacArthur's policies in Korea and how they conflicted with what the Joint Chiefs of Staff believed should be the United States position in Korea. How did the situation in Korea lead to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army, and how did his conflict with Truman parallel his father's conflict with Taft? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)