|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his early childhood in the west, by whom were Douglas MacArthur and his brother schooled?
2. What did the plebes gain once MacArthur restructured the program and routine at West Point that they had not had before?
3. What did MacArthur feel about the likelihood of a Japanese attack in the Philippines, immediately after the attack on Pearl Harbor?
4. In how many wars did MacArthur serve?
5. What did the Filipino first lady give MacArthur on August 24, 1936, making him a field marshal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Douglas MacArthur's childhood like?
2. Who was MacArthur's first wife and why did the marriage end?
3. What was MacArthur's role in the Philippines once it was made a commonwealth in 1946?
4. What happened to bring MacArthur back into active duty?
5. What were MacArthur's religious beliefs?
6. What were some of the rumors that surrounded MacArthur?
7. What was Arthur MacArthur, Jr.'s military career like once the Civil War ended?
8. What were some of MacArthur's weaknesses?
9. What led to MacArthur's resignation from the active duty in 1937?
10. Who was Isabel Rosario Cooper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss MacArthur's marriage to Louise Brooks. What objections did General Pershing and Pinky MacArthur have to the union? What conflicts arose during the marriage? How did the marriage affect MacArthur's career? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Douglas MacArthur's childhood and education with that of his son, Arthur IV. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Douglas MacArthur's popularity with the public and his relationship with the press. How did his popularity in the press bring him into conflict with politicians? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)