|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day in 1941 did the MacArthurs leave for Corregidor since Manila, the city in which they lived, was being bombed?
2. Who served as MacArthur's chief aide in the Philippines?
3. What was the first school at which MacArthur was not bored during his childhood?
4. Who did Arthur MacArthur, Jr. marry?
5. Once the Philippines became independent, what job did MacArthur want there?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of the Korean War, what factors were against the American troops?
2. Discuss MacArthur's years as Chief of Staff.
3. What was island hopping and why did MacArthur not engage in it?
4. How important did MacArthur consider airplanes and aerial assaults during the War in the Pacific?
5. What was MacArthur's early military career like?
6. What was the Japanese reaction when the MacArthurs left Tokyo on April 16, 1951?
7. What kind of government did José Laurel establish in the Philippines during the war, and how did MacArthur feel about this government?
8. Why were the Japanese people still convinced that they were winning the war once MacArthur retook the Philippines?
9. How was the everyday life of the Filipinos affected by the war and the Japanese occupation?
10. What was Christmas like for the MacArthur family in 1941?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss MacArthur's marriage to Louise Brooks. What objections did General Pershing and Pinky MacArthur have to the union? What conflicts arose during the marriage? How did the marriage affect MacArthur's career? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss MacArthur's policies in Korea and how they conflicted with what the Joint Chiefs of Staff believed should be the United States position in Korea. How did the situation in Korea lead to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army, and how did his conflict with Truman parallel his father's conflict with Taft? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss MacArthur's military experiences in World War I with The Rainbow Division and his rise to become commander of the 84th Brigade. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,532 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)