|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In breaking through the Hindenburg Line during the strategic battle of Cote-de-Chatillon, how many men did the Rainbow Division lose?
2. In the days before American entry into the war, what division of the Army did MacArthur say he wanted to be in when he was promoted to colonel?
3. Why did the MacArthurs celebrate Christmas early in 1941?
4. What rank did Pershing tell MacArthur he would have if he refused his West Point appointment?
5. What happened during the MacArthur family journey by sea away from the Philippines?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did MacArthur deal with the issue of Filipinos who had collaborated with the Japanese?
2. What were the experiences of Arthur MacArthur, Jr. during the Civil War?
3. How did the American infantry differ from the German and Japanese infantry during World War II?
4. How was the everyday life of the Filipinos affected by the war and the Japanese occupation?
5. What was MacArthur's mother Pinky doing in the States while he was fighting in World War I?
6. What caused MacArthur's death?
7. At the beginning of the Korean War, what factors were against the American troops?
8. Who wanted MacArthur to run for President against Roosevelt in 1944 and how did MacArthur claim to feel about politics at that time?
9. What kind of government did José Laurel establish in the Philippines during the war, and how did MacArthur feel about this government?
10. What was island hopping and why did MacArthur not engage in it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Douglas MacArthur's childhood and education with that of his son, Arthur IV. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Arthur MacArthur Jr.'s military career with that of his son Douglas. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast MacArthur's relationships with General Pershing, Quezon, Admiral Nimitz, and Eisenhower. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,548 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)