|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who moved in with MacArthur once he accepted the position at West Point?
2. Under whose command was the Rainbow Division in which MacArthur fought during World War I?
3. Of what brigade was MacArthur made the permanent commander during World War I?
4. What rank did Pershing tell MacArthur he would have if he accepted his West Point appointment?
5. What two European countries declared war on the United States soon after the attack on Pearl Harbor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Christmas like for the MacArthur family in 1941?
2. Discuss MacArthur's military career.
3. What military action did the Japanese take in the Philippines after the attack on Pearl Harbor?
4. What did MacArthur fail to do immediately after Pearl Harbor?
5. What was Douglas MacArthur's childhood like?
6. Where did the MacArthur family go once they left the Philippines, and what happened during their journey there?
7. What were MacArthur's experiences at West Point?
8. What were some of MacArthur's weaknesses?
9. Which of MacArthur's actions in World War I indicated that he did not always do what he was ordered to do?
10. What were some of the rumors that surrounded MacArthur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why you think William Manchester chose the title American Caesar for his biography of General Douglas MacArthur, and what parallels you see between MacArthur and Caesar.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss MacArthur's policies in Korea and how they conflicted with what the Joint Chiefs of Staff believed should be the United States position in Korea. How did the situation in Korea lead to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army, and how did his conflict with Truman parallel his father's conflict with Taft? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss MacArthur's military experiences in World War I with The Rainbow Division and his rise to become commander of the 84th Brigade. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)