|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of remaining at headquarters as he was supposed to, what did MacArthur do during the first big battle near Reims?
2. In breaking through the Hindenburg Line during the strategic battle of Cote-de-Chatillon, how many men did the Rainbow Division lose?
3. What did the plebes gain once MacArthur restructured the program and routine at West Point that they had not had before?
4. In what famous Civil War battle did Douglas MacArthur's father fight in November 1863?
5. When MacArthur moved to the Philippines soon after his marriage, by what name was he known among the Philippine people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the MacArthur family history.
2. What military action did the Japanese take in the Philippines after the attack on Pearl Harbor?
3. What led to MacArthur's resignation from the active duty in 1937?
4. What happened to bring MacArthur back into active duty?
5. Discuss MacArthur's military career.
6. What were MacArthur's religious beliefs?
7. Who was Isabel Rosario Cooper?
8. Who was MacArthur's second wife and how did his second marriage differ from his first?
9. What were some of the rumors that surrounded MacArthur?
10. What were some of MacArthur's weaknesses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Douglas MacArthur's popularity with the public and his relationship with the press. How did his popularity in the press bring him into conflict with politicians? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss MacArthur's help in establishing the post war government in Japan. How did the Japanese feel about him? What did the United Nations protest about his actions in Japan? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss MacArthur's political influence over the years and his political ambitions. Why did he think he was a better choice than Eisenhower, and why did Eisenhower win the Republican nomination over MacArthur? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)