|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Spring 1914, to what country was MacArthur sent to gather information in preparation for possible war?
2. What did MacArthur feel about the likelihood of a Japanese attack in the Philippines, immediately after the attack on Pearl Harbor?
3. From where was Arthur MacArthur, Jr.'s bride?
4. Who opposed MacArthur's first marriage?
5. Who did Arthur MacArthur, Jr. marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were MacArthur's experiences at West Point?
2. Discuss MacArthur's military career.
3. What job did General Pershing give MacArthur once World War I ended?
4. What was MacArthur's mother Pinky doing in the States while he was fighting in World War I?
5. What were MacArthur's religious beliefs?
6. What happened to bring MacArthur back into active duty?
7. Discuss MacArthur's years as Chief of Staff.
8. What military action did the Japanese take in the Philippines after the attack on Pearl Harbor?
9. What was Arthur MacArthur, Jr.'s military career like once the Civil War ended?
10. What were the experiences of Arthur MacArthur, Jr. during the Civil War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss MacArthur's military experiences in World War I with The Rainbow Division and his rise to become commander of the 84th Brigade. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why you think William Manchester chose the title American Caesar for his biography of General Douglas MacArthur, and what parallels you see between MacArthur and Caesar.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss MacArthur's strengths and his weaknesses. Which characteristics of MacArthur helped his military career and which characteristics hindered it? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)