Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two European countries declared war on the United States soon after the attack on Pearl Harbor?
2. Who served as MacArthur's chief aide in the Philippines?
3. When MacArthur moved to the Philippines soon after his marriage, by what name was he known among the Philippine people?
4. To what division of the Army was MacArthur first assigned when he finished at West Point as a second lieutenant?
5. Instead of remaining at headquarters as he was supposed to, what did MacArthur do during the first big battle near Reims?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were MacArthur's experiences at West Point?
2. What was public opinion of MacArthur like once he broke through the Japanese blockade in March, 1942?
3. What was island hopping and why did MacArthur not engage in it?
4. Who wanted MacArthur to run for President against Roosevelt in 1944 and how did MacArthur claim to feel about politics at that time?
5. Discuss MacArthur's years as Chief of Staff.
6. What were some of the rumors that surrounded MacArthur?
7. What was the status of women in Japanese society when the Japanese surrendered and ended World War II?
8. How long were Jean and Arthur separated from General MacArthur during the battle to retake the Philippines, and what arrangements did Jean make for Arthur's education once she and her son returned to the islands?
9. What kind of authority did MacArthur have in Japan after the surrender of Hirohito?
10. What caused Arthur MacArthur, Jr.'s conflict with President Taft?
Discuss MacArthur's political influence over the years and his political ambitions. Why did he think he was a better choice than Eisenhower, and why did Eisenhower win the Republican nomination over MacArthur? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Compare and contrast the fathering styles of Douglas MacArthur, his father, and grandfather, as well as their relationships with their sons. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Discuss MacArthur's help in establishing the post war government in Japan. How did the Japanese feel about him? What did the United Nations protest about his actions in Japan? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)