|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Soviet Union announced in 1949 that it had moved its forces out of North Korea, what did that nation expect the United States to do in response?
(a) Remove U.S. forces from Germany.
(b) Remove U.S. forces from South Korea.
(c) Invade China.
(d) Invade North Korea.
2. How did the wily MacArthur label the box containing his tea service, candelabra, and other personal items so that the box survived the attack on Manila?
(a) Poison - do not touch.
(b) Official business - Japanese Army.
(c) Beware of snakes.
(d) Medical Supplies - for shipment to Tokyo.
3. After the surrender of the Japanese, how did MacArthur address the citizens of the United States to inform them that the world was at peace?
(a) Via telegraph.
(b) Via a telegram.
(c) Via radio.
(d) Via television satellite.
4. Why did the government officials decide to remove MacArthur from command in Korea?
(a) He got shot and was physically disabled.
(b) He ignored the President and asked China to surrender.
(c) He was needed more in Germany.
(d) He was losing the war.
5. When did MacArthur return to the Rock after having to flee it when the Japanese attacked in 1941?
(a) October 3, 1945.
(b) March 2, 1944.
(c) August 7, 1948.
(d) June 15, 1950.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following elements was not something encountered by American forces in the Pacific islands during World War II?
2. With which Navy admiral did MacArthur frequently come into conflict?
3. What allowed the Allies to successfully thwart the Japanese in the Pacific?
4. How long had MacArthur served in the Army when he was dismissed?
5. Why were the Japanese determined not to let MacArthur retake the Philippines?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who wanted MacArthur to run for President against Roosevelt in 1944 and how did MacArthur claim to feel about politics at that time?
2. What was the Japanese reaction when the MacArthurs left Tokyo on April 16, 1951?
3. Why did MacArthur want to launch an amphibious attack against the North Koreans at Inchon and what objections did his advisers have against that location?
4. How was the decision to dismiss MacArthur communicated to MacArthur?
5. What was the status of women in Japanese society when the Japanese surrendered and ended World War II?
6. What was Operation Ketsu-Go?
7. What changes in Korea in the late 1940's indicated that a war might be imminent?
8. What led to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army after fifty two years of service?
9. How long were Jean and Arthur separated from General MacArthur during the battle to retake the Philippines, and what arrangements did Jean make for Arthur's education once she and her son returned to the islands?
10. What kind of government did José Laurel establish in the Philippines during the war, and how did MacArthur feel about this government?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)