|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Japanese lined the route to the airport when the MacArthurs departed from Tokyo in 1951?
(a) Eight thousand.
(b) One quarter million.
(c) One thousand.
(d) Two hundred.
2. What was Dai Ichi?
(a) MacArthur's headquarters in Japan.
(b) A city in the Philippines occupied by the Americans.
(c) MacArthur's Japanese butler.
(d) A city in Japan.
3. When the South Koreans sustained heavy losses at Yalu, troops from which nation were identified as having helped the North Koreans in battle?
4. What Japanese government document did MacArthur help write?
(a) A peace treaty with America.
(b) A new tax law.
(c) A trade agreement with the United Nations.
(d) A new constitution.
5. How did the wily MacArthur label the box containing his tea service, candelabra, and other personal items so that the box survived the attack on Manila?
(a) Beware of snakes.
(b) Medical Supplies - for shipment to Tokyo.
(c) Official business - Japanese Army.
(d) Poison - do not touch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does not describe an aspect of life in the Philippines in 1944?
2. What factors helped the Japanese succeed in the Pacific during World War II?
3. What cities gave MacArthur parades after his return to the United States from the Pacific once Truman dismissed him?
4. Why didn't MacArthur think China could conduct a war in Korea?
5. With which branch of the military did MacArthur have conflict during the war in the Pacific?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of government did José Laurel establish in the Philippines during the war, and how did MacArthur feel about this government?
2. What changes in Korea in the late 1940's indicated that a war might be imminent?
3. How did MacArthur befuddle the Japanese forces at Rabaul, and how did his unexpected behavior affect the Japanese?
4. How was the decision to dismiss MacArthur communicated to MacArthur?
5. What was the reaction of the American public when MacArthur was dismissed from the Army?
6. How did American code-breakers contribute to the war effort in the Pacific?
7. Who wanted MacArthur to run for President against Roosevelt in 1944 and how did MacArthur claim to feel about politics at that time?
8. How did MacArthur deal with the issue of Filipinos who had collaborated with the Japanese?
9. What conflicts did MacArthur and Truman have as the Korean War progressed?
10. Why did wealthy Filipinos collaborate with the Japanese during World War II?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)