|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Dai Ichi?
(a) A city in the Philippines occupied by the Americans.
(b) MacArthur's Japanese butler.
(c) MacArthur's headquarters in Japan.
(d) A city in Japan.
2. Why did Americans at home during World War II have trouble following the war in the Pacific?
(a) There was poor radio reception from that area.
(b) They were ignorant of its geography.
(c) Television had not yet been invented.
(d) No reporters were allowed near the war.
3. What were "Sherman carpets"?
(a) U.S. Sherman tanks.
(b) A type of shag carpet favored by General Sherman.
(c) Tank drivers.
(d) Japanese children who were suicide tank bombers.
4. When America entered the Korean War, what did President Truman worry about?
(a) Losing the war.
(b) Paying for the war.
(c) Retaliation in other places from the communists.
(d) The Germans joining North Korea against America.
5. When the South Koreans sustained heavy losses at Yalu, troops from which nation were identified as having helped the North Koreans in battle?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the communist invasion of South Korea and fighting between North and South Korea begin?
2. What did the Japanese people think of MacArthur?
3. To whom did MacArthur give the vote in Japan?
4. How many reporters accompanied MacArthur to South Korea on his first trip there during the war?
5. Who won the battle at Inchon and Min Gun?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of government did José Laurel establish in the Philippines during the war, and how did MacArthur feel about this government?
2. What was Operation Ketsu-Go?
3. How did MacArthur demonstrate his knowledge of the Japanese culture and thinking in his treatment of the Japanese after their surrender?
4. What was A-Day?
5. How did American code-breakers contribute to the war effort in the Pacific?
6. At the beginning of the Korean War, what factors were against the American troops?
7. What changes in Korea in the late 1940's indicated that a war might be imminent?
8. What was the Japanese reaction when the MacArthurs left Tokyo on April 16, 1951?
9. How important did MacArthur consider airplanes and aerial assaults during the War in the Pacific?
10. Who wanted MacArthur to run for President against Roosevelt in 1944 and how did MacArthur claim to feel about politics at that time?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)