|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the United States public polls after World War II, MacArthur was second in popularity to?
(b) Clark Gable.
(c) Winston Churchill.
2. Which two groups among the Filipino population did not ignore their Japanese invaders, unlike the rest of the population?
(a) The women and children.
(b) The guerrillas and the collaborators.
(c) The poor farmers and the fishermen.
(d) The aged and the infirm.
3. When Jean MacArthur returned to the Philippines after her husband liberated the islands, what did she do upon seeing the rags the people were wearing?
(a) She wept.
(b) She wrote the President about the problem.
(c) She wrote an American charity about the problem.
(d) She gave her hat and gloves to some Filipinos.
4. What did MacArthur use against Japanese ships near New Guinea to cut off Japanese supplies and reinforcements?
(a) Nuclear weapons.
(b) Nerve gas.
(d) Bombs dropped by air.
5. Which of the following abilities did not fall within MacArthur's range of authority in Japan after the war?
(a) He had authority over the function of Hirohito.
(b) He could become president of Japan.
(c) He could outlaw political parties.
(d) He could dissolve the Diet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were "Sherman carpets"?
2. How many Americans were MacArthur ordered to evacuate from South Korea once the communists invaded?
3. What did the Japanese soldiers on Rabaul prefer to do rather than surrender to the Americans?
4. Why did Americans at home during World War II have trouble following the war in the Pacific?
5. What was MacArthur's goal for Korea?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did MacArthur befuddle the Japanese forces at Rabaul, and how did his unexpected behavior affect the Japanese?
2. How was the everyday life of the Filipinos affected by the war and the Japanese occupation?
3. How did MacArthur demonstrate his knowledge of the Japanese culture and thinking in his treatment of the Japanese after their surrender?
4. At the beginning of the Korean War, what factors were against the American troops?
5. What kind of government did José Laurel establish in the Philippines during the war, and how did MacArthur feel about this government?
6. How long were Jean and Arthur separated from General MacArthur during the battle to retake the Philippines, and what arrangements did Jean make for Arthur's education once she and her son returned to the islands?
7. Why did wealthy Filipinos collaborate with the Japanese during World War II?
8. What was the reaction of the American public when MacArthur was dismissed from the Army?
9. How did American code-breakers contribute to the war effort in the Pacific?
10. What led to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army after fifty two years of service?
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)