|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was MacArthur's greatest friend and confidante during the war, the person with whom he spent as much time as possible?
(a) His wife Jean.
(b) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(c) Harry Truman.
(d) Winston Churchill.
2. To where did MacArthur move his advance base once he had the Japanese in retreat?
(a) To Philadelphia.
(b) To Amsterdam.
(c) To Honolulu.
(d) To Moresby.
3. How did the wily MacArthur label the box containing his tea service, candelabra, and other personal items so that the box survived the attack on Manila?
(a) Medical Supplies - for shipment to Tokyo.
(b) Beware of snakes.
(c) Poison - do not touch.
(d) Official business - Japanese Army.
4. What did critics of MacArthur claim?
(a) That he risked the lives of too many men.
(b) That he was a drunkard.
(c) That he choose which orders he would obey.
(d) That he was too pompous.
5. Who won the battle at Inchon and Min Gun?
(a) The North Koreans.
(b) The Chinese.
(d) The Japanese.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the media and the public respond once MacArthur broke through the blockade?
2. What was Dai Ichi?
3. What type of rifle did the Japanese infantry use during World War II?
4. What did the Japanese do to punish Filipino guerrillas who fought against them?
5. Who was named commander of the Pacific Ocean Areas in 1942?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was NSC-68 and how might public knowledge of it have prevented the Korean War?
2. Who wanted MacArthur to run for President against Roosevelt in 1944 and how did MacArthur claim to feel about politics at that time?
3. How did MacArthur deal with the issue of Filipinos who had collaborated with the Japanese?
4. What was A-Day?
5. What kind of government did José Laurel establish in the Philippines during the war, and how did MacArthur feel about this government?
6. What was public opinion of MacArthur like once he broke through the Japanese blockade in March, 1942?
7. How did MacArthur demonstrate his knowledge of the Japanese culture and thinking in his treatment of the Japanese after their surrender?
8. At the beginning of the Korean War, what factors were against the American troops?
9. How did American code-breakers contribute to the war effort in the Pacific?
10. How was the decision to dismiss MacArthur communicated to MacArthur?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)