|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe the opinions of MacArthur and the Joint Chiefs of Staff about policy in Korea?
(a) MacArthur wanted the U.S. position strengthened.
(b) MacArthur and the Joint Chiefs of Staff agreed.
(c) MacArthur and the Joint Chiefs of Staff disagreed.
(d) The Joint Chiefs wanted to keep the current policy.
2. What was MacArthur's goal for Korea?
(a) To take it over for the United States.
(b) To keep communism out of South Korea.
(c) To unite North and South Korea as one nation.
(d) To keep the Chinese out of it.
3. To where did MacArthur move his advance base once he had the Japanese in retreat?
(a) To Moresby.
(b) To Amsterdam.
(c) To Philadelphia.
(d) To Honolulu.
4. Which of the following elements was not something encountered by American forces in the Pacific islands during World War II?
(d) Crocodiles and snakes.
5. Which Filipino leader formed a pro-Japanese regime and declared war on the United States and Great Britain?
(a) Felipe Garcia.
(b) Manuel Quezon.
(c) Manuel Roxas.
(d) Jose Laurel.
Short Answer Questions
1. For which people in the Pacific was MacArthur committed to bringing freedom?
2. How did MacArthur treat Manuel Roxas, a known Japanese collaborator, after liberating the Philippines from Japanese rule?
3. What were "Sherman carpets"?
4. How many days after the surrender of the Japanese did MacArthur enter Tokyo?
5. Which of the following does not describe an aspect of life in the Philippines in 1944?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of the Korean War, what factors were against the American troops?
2. Who wanted MacArthur to run for President against Roosevelt in 1944 and how did MacArthur claim to feel about politics at that time?
3. What led to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army after fifty two years of service?
4. How did American code-breakers contribute to the war effort in the Pacific?
5. What problems did the US public and the US military have with maps of the Pacific during World War II?
6. What was public opinion of MacArthur like once he broke through the Japanese blockade in March, 1942?
7. What was the Japanese reaction when the MacArthurs left Tokyo on April 16, 1951?
8. How did MacArthur deal with the issue of Filipinos who had collaborated with the Japanese?
9. How was the decision to dismiss MacArthur communicated to MacArthur?
10. Why did wealthy Filipinos collaborate with the Japanese during World War II?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)