|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many reporters accompanied MacArthur to South Korea on his first trip there during the war?
(a) One dozen.
2. For which people in the Pacific was MacArthur committed to bringing freedom?
(d) All people in the Pacific.
3. When America entered the Korean War, what did President Truman worry about?
(a) The Germans joining North Korea against America.
(b) Losing the war.
(c) Retaliation in other places from the communists.
(d) Paying for the war.
4. What did MacArthur say a nation should do if it wasn't willing to make the full military commitment to winning a war?
(a) It shouldn't be surprised to lose.
(b) It should dissolve its army.
(c) It should dissolve itself.
(d) It shouldn't fight.
5. What kind of government did MacArthur establish in Japan after the war?
(a) A republic.
(b) A theocracy.
(c) A dictatorship.
(d) A democracy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did MacArthur treat Manuel Roxas, a known Japanese collaborator, after liberating the Philippines from Japanese rule?
2. When Jean MacArthur returned to the Philippines after her husband liberated the islands, what did she do upon seeing the rags the people were wearing?
3. When the South Koreans sustained heavy losses at Yalu, troops from which nation were identified as having helped the North Koreans in battle?
4. How many people died in the Korean War?
5. What Japanese government document did MacArthur help write?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of the Korean War, what factors were against the American troops?
2. What conflicts did MacArthur and Truman have as the Korean War progressed?
3. What was public opinion of MacArthur like once he broke through the Japanese blockade in March, 1942?
4. What changes in Korea in the late 1940's indicated that a war might be imminent?
5. How was the decision to dismiss MacArthur communicated to MacArthur?
6. What kind of authority did MacArthur have in Japan after the surrender of Hirohito?
7. Why did wealthy Filipinos collaborate with the Japanese during World War II?
8. What was island hopping and why did MacArthur not engage in it?
9. What was the reaction of the American public when MacArthur was dismissed from the Army?
10. How did MacArthur befuddle the Japanese forces at Rabaul, and how did his unexpected behavior affect the Japanese?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)