|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did critics of MacArthur claim?
(a) That he risked the lives of too many men.
(b) That he choose which orders he would obey.
(c) That he was a drunkard.
(d) That he was too pompous.
2. Which Navy admiral did MacArthur admire?
3. What did the Japanese soldiers on Rabaul prefer to do rather than surrender to the Americans?
(a) Live out their lives in the rain forests of the island.
(b) Kill themselves.
(c) Continue fighting until they won or were killed.
(d) Flee the war and seek refuge in the Philippines.
4. What cities gave MacArthur parades after his return to the United States from the Pacific once Truman dismissed him?
(a) Philadelphia and Boston.
(b) San Francisco and Washington.
(c) Boston and Los Angeles.
(d) New York and Chicago.
5. What title was MacArthur given on April 18, 1942?
(a) Secretary of War.
(b) Commander in Chief of the Southwest Pacific Area.
(c) Governor of the Philippines.
(d) Commander in Chief of the Philippines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of government did MacArthur establish in Japan after the war?
2. Which of the following elements was not something encountered by American forces in the Pacific islands during World War II?
3. What type of rifle did the Japanese infantry use during World War II?
4. What did MacArthur tell the press would happen in Korea if he didn't receive more troops?
5. About what did Truman and MacArthur disagree during the Korean war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems did the US public and the US military have with maps of the Pacific during World War II?
2. How did MacArthur demonstrate his knowledge of the Japanese culture and thinking in his treatment of the Japanese after their surrender?
3. What was the status of women in Japanese society when the Japanese surrendered and ended World War II?
4. What was Operation Ketsu-Go?
5. Why were the Japanese people still convinced that they were winning the war once MacArthur retook the Philippines?
6. What was NSC-68 and how might public knowledge of it have prevented the Korean War?
7. What was A-Day?
8. How did MacArthur befuddle the Japanese forces at Rabaul, and how did his unexpected behavior affect the Japanese?
9. Why did MacArthur want to launch an amphibious attack against the North Koreans at Inchon and what objections did his advisers have against that location?
10. How was the decision to dismiss MacArthur communicated to MacArthur?
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)