|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Quezon designate as his successor as president of the Philippines should he and Osmeña be killed during their flight to Australia?
(a) Jose Laurel.
(b) Manuel Roxas.
(c) General MacArthur.
(d) Felipe Garcia.
2. What was MacArthur's goal for Korea?
(a) To keep communism out of South Korea.
(b) To keep the Chinese out of it.
(c) To unite North and South Korea as one nation.
(d) To take it over for the United States.
3. How long did the British want the Americans to limit their Pacific objectives during World War II?
(a) Until a new prime minister was elected in England.
(b) Until the Germans were defeated in Europe.
(c) A year.
(d) Six months.
4. What Japanese government document did MacArthur help write?
(a) A peace treaty with America.
(b) A new constitution.
(c) A new tax law.
(d) A trade agreement with the United Nations.
5. Why did the Japanese think an invasion of their homeland was impossible?
(a) They thought Japan was well fortified against invasion.
(b) They planted undersea bombs to repel invaders.
(c) They had developed germ warfare to repel invaders.
(d) They believed they were sacred and divinely protected.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Soviet Union announced in 1949 that it had moved its forces out of North Korea, what did that nation expect the United States to do in response?
2. Which of the following abilities did not fall within MacArthur's range of authority in Japan after the war?
3. What did MacArthur tell the press would happen in Korea if he didn't receive more troops?
4. What did MacArthur say a nation should do if it wasn't willing to make the full military commitment to winning a war?
5. When the South Koreans sustained heavy losses at Yalu, troops from which nation were identified as having helped the North Koreans in battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who wanted MacArthur to run for President against Roosevelt in 1944 and how did MacArthur claim to feel about politics at that time?
2. What was the reaction of the American public when MacArthur was dismissed from the Army?
3. Why were the Japanese people still convinced that they were winning the war once MacArthur retook the Philippines?
4. What was the status of women in Japanese society when the Japanese surrendered and ended World War II?
5. How was the decision to dismiss MacArthur communicated to MacArthur?
6. What led to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army after fifty two years of service?
7. How long were Jean and Arthur separated from General MacArthur during the battle to retake the Philippines, and what arrangements did Jean make for Arthur's education once she and her son returned to the islands?
8. How did American code-breakers contribute to the war effort in the Pacific?
9. What was A-Day?
10. What was island hopping and why did MacArthur not engage in it?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)