|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Japanese lined the route to the airport when the MacArthurs departed from Tokyo in 1951?
(a) One thousand.
(b) Eight thousand.
(c) One quarter million.
(d) Two hundred.
2. What was Dai Ichi?
(a) MacArthur's headquarters in Japan.
(b) MacArthur's Japanese butler.
(c) A city in the Philippines occupied by the Americans.
(d) A city in Japan.
3. When the Soviet Union announced in 1949 that it had moved its forces out of North Korea, what did that nation expect the United States to do in response?
(a) Invade China.
(b) Remove U.S. forces from South Korea.
(c) Remove U.S. forces from Germany.
(d) Invade North Korea.
4. Who was MacArthur's greatest friend and confidante during the war, the person with whom he spent as much time as possible?
(a) His wife Jean.
(b) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(c) Winston Churchill.
(d) Harry Truman.
5. What title was MacArthur given on April 18, 1942?
(a) Secretary of War.
(b) Commander in Chief of the Southwest Pacific Area.
(c) Commander in Chief of the Philippines.
(d) Governor of the Philippines.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Navy admiral did MacArthur admire?
2. What Japanese government document did MacArthur help write?
3. After capturing Seoul, what kind of reforms did MacArthur want to establish there?
4. What country did MacArthur think would have fallen to the Japanese if Corregidor had not held out?
5. How long had MacArthur served in the Army when he was dismissed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was NSC-68 and how might public knowledge of it have prevented the Korean War?
2. How important did MacArthur consider airplanes and aerial assaults during the War in the Pacific?
3. Why were the Japanese people still convinced that they were winning the war once MacArthur retook the Philippines?
4. What conflicts did MacArthur and Truman have as the Korean War progressed?
5. What kind of authority did MacArthur have in Japan after the surrender of Hirohito?
6. What was public opinion of MacArthur like once he broke through the Japanese blockade in March, 1942?
7. What was Operation Ketsu-Go?
8. How did MacArthur befuddle the Japanese forces at Rabaul, and how did his unexpected behavior affect the Japanese?
9. How did the American infantry differ from the German and Japanese infantry during World War II?
10. How did MacArthur deal with the issue of Filipinos who had collaborated with the Japanese?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)