|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the communist invasion of South Korea and fighting between North and South Korea begin?
(a) March 13, 1953.
(b) July 24, 1950.
(c) February 12, 1959.
(d) October 8, 1960.
2. Why didn't MacArthur use the strategy of island-hopping, i.e. hitting the enemy with direct frontal pressure in battle?
(a) He thought it caused too many casualties.
(b) He didn't have enough bombs and ships to succeed.
(c) He believed in doing the unexpected.
(d) There were too many islands and not enough men.
3. What did the Japanese do to punish Filipino guerrillas who fought against them?
(a) They sent them to the front line to fight for Japan.
(b) They shot them in public.
(c) They beheaded them in public.
(d) They imprisoned them for life.
4. How did the media and the public respond once MacArthur broke through the blockade?
(a) They adored him and he became extremely popular.
(b) They hated him.
(c) They shunned him.
(d) They criticized his methods.
5. According to the United States public polls after World War II, MacArthur was second in popularity to?
(b) Clark Gable.
(d) Winston Churchill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the public reaction when MacArthur was dismissed?
2. Who was named commander of the Pacific Ocean Areas in 1942?
3. To where did MacArthur move his advance base once he had the Japanese in retreat?
4. What type of rifle did the Japanese infantry use during World War II?
5. How many Japanese lined the route to the airport when the MacArthurs departed from Tokyo in 1951?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to MacArthur's dismissal from the Army after fifty two years of service?
2. What was the status of women in Japanese society when the Japanese surrendered and ended World War II?
3. How did the American infantry differ from the German and Japanese infantry during World War II?
4. How did MacArthur deal with the issue of Filipinos who had collaborated with the Japanese?
5. What was public opinion of MacArthur like once he broke through the Japanese blockade in March, 1942?
6. What was NSC-68 and how might public knowledge of it have prevented the Korean War?
7. What conflicts did MacArthur and Truman have as the Korean War progressed?
8. Why were the Japanese people still convinced that they were winning the war once MacArthur retook the Philippines?
9. How did American code-breakers contribute to the war effort in the Pacific?
10. How was the everyday life of the Filipinos affected by the war and the Japanese occupation?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)