|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the Korean armistice signed?
(a) April 12, 1959.
(b) January 10, 1953.
(c) April 1, 1958.
(d) July 7, 1952.
2. What were "Sherman carpets"?
(a) U.S. Sherman tanks.
(b) Tank drivers.
(c) Japanese children who were suicide tank bombers.
(d) A type of shag carpet favored by General Sherman.
3. Which two groups among the Filipino population did not ignore their Japanese invaders, unlike the rest of the population?
(a) The poor farmers and the fishermen.
(b) The women and children.
(c) The guerrillas and the collaborators.
(d) The aged and the infirm.
4. Which of the following abilities did not fall within MacArthur's range of authority in Japan after the war?
(a) He could outlaw political parties.
(b) He had authority over the function of Hirohito.
(c) He could become president of Japan.
(d) He could dissolve the Diet.
5. When did MacArthur return to the Rock after having to flee it when the Japanese attacked in 1941?
(a) March 2, 1944.
(b) October 3, 1945.
(c) August 7, 1948.
(d) June 15, 1950.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the United States public polls after World War II, MacArthur was second in popularity to?
2. How many Japanese lined the route to the airport when the MacArthurs departed from Tokyo in 1951?
3. What were the kempei-tai?
4. For which people in the Pacific was MacArthur committed to bringing freedom?
5. What important dignitary did Jean MacArthur entertain in New Guinea in 1942 since Douglas was away at Port Moresby at the time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did American code-breakers contribute to the war effort in the Pacific?
2. What was the Japanese reaction when the MacArthurs left Tokyo on April 16, 1951?
3. How did MacArthur demonstrate his knowledge of the Japanese culture and thinking in his treatment of the Japanese after their surrender?
4. What was A-Day?
5. Why did wealthy Filipinos collaborate with the Japanese during World War II?
6. How did MacArthur deal with the issue of Filipinos who had collaborated with the Japanese?
7. What was Operation Ketsu-Go?
8. What was NSC-68 and how might public knowledge of it have prevented the Korean War?
9. What changes in Korea in the late 1940's indicated that a war might be imminent?
10. What was island hopping and why did MacArthur not engage in it?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)