|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two European countries declared war on the United States soon after the attack on Pearl Harbor?
(a) Poland and Hungary.
(b) Germany and Italy.
(c) France and Germany.
(d) Spain and Greece.
2. Who served as MacArthur's chief aide in the Philippines?
(a) Jerry Overstreet.
(b) Harry Truman.
(c) Carlton Reynolds.
(d) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
3. When MacArthur moved to the Philippines soon after his marriage, by what name was he known among the Philippine people?
(a) The Tall White Chief.
(b) General MacArthur the Younger.
(c) King Mac.
(d) The Liberator.
4. To what division of the Army was MacArthur first assigned when he finished at West Point as a second lieutenant?
(a) The Corps of Engineers.
(b) The motor pool.
(c) The medical corps.
(d) The cavalry.
5. Instead of remaining at headquarters as he was supposed to, what did MacArthur do during the first big battle near Reims?
(a) He drove to Paris to party with French actors.
(b) He fled the battlefield.
(c) He joined the troops in the trenches.
(d) He took pictures of the battle from a safe distance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Filipino dignitaries were named as godparents for MacArthur's son, Arthur MacArthur IV?
2. Once MacArthur became Chief of Staff in 1930 and moved to Washington, what did he work on during the New Deal administration?
3. For how long after the attack on Pearl Harbor was there no order to attack the Japanese?
4. Under whose command was the Rainbow Division in which MacArthur fought during World War I?
5. Where did MacArthur win his fifth Silver Star?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were MacArthur's experiences at West Point?
2. What was public opinion of MacArthur like once he broke through the Japanese blockade in March, 1942?
3. What was island hopping and why did MacArthur not engage in it?
4. Who wanted MacArthur to run for President against Roosevelt in 1944 and how did MacArthur claim to feel about politics at that time?
5. Discuss MacArthur's years as Chief of Staff.
6. What were some of the rumors that surrounded MacArthur?
7. What was the status of women in Japanese society when the Japanese surrendered and ended World War II?
8. How long were Jean and Arthur separated from General MacArthur during the battle to retake the Philippines, and what arrangements did Jean make for Arthur's education once she and her son returned to the islands?
9. What kind of authority did MacArthur have in Japan after the surrender of Hirohito?
10. What caused Arthur MacArthur, Jr.'s conflict with President Taft?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)