|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the government officials decide to remove MacArthur from command in Korea?
(a) He ignored the President and asked China to surrender.
(b) He was needed more in Germany.
(c) He got shot and was physically disabled.
(d) He was losing the war.
2. What was MacArthur's goal for Korea?
(a) To take it over for the United States.
(b) To keep communism out of South Korea.
(c) To keep the Chinese out of it.
(d) To unite North and South Korea as one nation.
3. After capturing Seoul, what kind of reforms did MacArthur want to establish there?
(a) Economic reforms.
(b) Military reforms.
(c) Democratic reforms like he brought to the Philippines.
(d) Industrial reforms.
4. When Jean MacArthur returned to the Philippines after her husband liberated the islands, what did she do upon seeing the rags the people were wearing?
(a) She wrote an American charity about the problem.
(b) She gave her hat and gloves to some Filipinos.
(c) She wrote the President about the problem.
(d) She wept.
5. What was Dai Ichi?
(a) MacArthur's headquarters in Japan.
(b) MacArthur's Japanese butler.
(c) A city in the Philippines occupied by the Americans.
(d) A city in Japan.
6. What did the Japanese soldiers on Rabaul prefer to do rather than surrender to the Americans?
(a) Flee the war and seek refuge in the Philippines.
(b) Live out their lives in the rain forests of the island.
(c) Kill themselves.
(d) Continue fighting until they won or were killed.
7. Why were the Japanese determined not to let MacArthur retake the Philippines?
(a) They hated MacArthur.
(b) They knew it would mean losing the war.
(c) To maintain their access to the Indies' oil.
(d) They wanted to expand Japan's territories.
8. Who did President Truman appoint as Supreme Commander for the Allied Powers (SCAP) in Japan?
9. Which Philippine island was nicknamed "the Rock"?
10. When did MacArthur return to the Rock after having to flee it when the Japanese attacked in 1941?
(a) August 7, 1948.
(b) March 2, 1944.
(c) October 3, 1945.
(d) June 15, 1950.
11. What was the public reaction when MacArthur was dismissed?
(a) Some approved, but some wanted to impeach Truman.
(b) The public wanted MacArthur put on trial.
(c) The public rejoiced.
(d) The public was outraged.
12. Why did upper class Filipinos collaborate with the Japanese?
(a) They wanted the war to end as soon as possible.
(b) They were Japanese in heritage.
(c) They feared losing their privileged lifestyle if they didn't.
(d) They preferred the Japanese to the Americans.
13. What cities gave MacArthur parades after his return to the United States from the Pacific once Truman dismissed him?
(a) Philadelphia and Boston.
(b) San Francisco and Washington.
(c) New York and Chicago.
(d) Boston and Los Angeles.
14. Which Filipino leader formed a pro-Japanese regime and declared war on the United States and Great Britain?
(a) Felipe Garcia.
(b) Manuel Quezon.
(c) Manuel Roxas.
(d) Jose Laurel.
15. How many Japanese lined the route to the airport when the MacArthurs departed from Tokyo in 1951?
(a) Eight thousand.
(b) One thousand.
(c) Two hundred.
(d) One quarter million.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the kempei-tai?
2. What allowed the Allies to successfully thwart the Japanese in the Pacific?
3. Who was the Japanese commander of the Philippine defenses?
4. How high was the Anglo-American commitment of military resources to the Pacific?
5. About what did Truman and MacArthur disagree during the Korean war?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)