|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following abilities did not fall within MacArthur's range of authority in Japan after the war?
(a) He could dissolve the Diet.
(b) He had authority over the function of Hirohito.
(c) He could outlaw political parties.
(d) He could become president of Japan.
2. When was the Korean armistice signed?
(a) January 10, 1953.
(b) April 1, 1958.
(c) April 12, 1959.
(d) July 7, 1952.
3. Who did Quezon designate as his successor as president of the Philippines should he and Osmeña be killed during their flight to Australia?
(a) Felipe Garcia.
(b) Jose Laurel.
(c) General MacArthur.
(d) Manuel Roxas.
4. Which two groups among the Filipino population did not ignore their Japanese invaders, unlike the rest of the population?
(a) The guerrillas and the collaborators.
(b) The aged and the infirm.
(c) The women and children.
(d) The poor farmers and the fishermen.
5. What cities gave MacArthur parades after his return to the United States from the Pacific once Truman dismissed him?
(a) San Francisco and Washington.
(b) Philadelphia and Boston.
(c) New York and Chicago.
(d) Boston and Los Angeles.
6. Why did MacArthur fly to Seoul On August 15, 1948?
(a) For his wife's birthday.
(b) The South Korean president was being inaugurated.
(c) For a vacation.
(d) The South Koreans gave him a victory parade.
7. What country did MacArthur think would have fallen to the Japanese if Corregidor had not held out?
(a) New Zealand.
(d) The United States.
8. What was the public reaction when MacArthur was dismissed?
(a) The public was outraged.
(b) The public rejoiced.
(c) Some approved, but some wanted to impeach Truman.
(d) The public wanted MacArthur put on trial.
9. Who was Ah Cheu?
(a) A Japanese general.
(b) The Cantonese amah or nanny of MacArthur's son.
(c) A Filipino guerilla leader.
(d) MacArthur's Japanese girlfriend.
10. According to the United States public polls after World War II, MacArthur was second in popularity to?
(a) Winston Churchill.
(b) Clark Gable.
11. With which branch of the military did MacArthur have conflict during the war in the Pacific?
(a) The Coast Guard.
(b) The Navy.
(c) The Marines.
(d) The Air Force.
12. What did the Japanese do to punish Filipino guerrillas who fought against them?
(a) They shot them in public.
(b) They sent them to the front line to fight for Japan.
(c) They beheaded them in public.
(d) They imprisoned them for life.
13. Who won the battle at Inchon and Min Gun?
(a) The Chinese.
(b) The Japanese.
(d) The North Koreans.
14. When the Soviet Union announced in 1949 that it had moved its forces out of North Korea, what did that nation expect the United States to do in response?
(a) Invade China.
(b) Invade North Korea.
(c) Remove U.S. forces from South Korea.
(d) Remove U.S. forces from Germany.
15. How high was the Anglo-American commitment of military resources to the Pacific?
(a) Thirty percent.
(b) Fifteen percent.
(c) Fifty percent.
(d) Ten percent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what disease did Quezon, the Philippine president die?
2. To where did MacArthur move his advance base once he had the Japanese in retreat?
3. Why didn't MacArthur think China could conduct a war in Korea?
4. Which Navy admiral did MacArthur admire?
5. How did MacArthur treat Manuel Roxas, a known Japanese collaborator, after liberating the Philippines from Japanese rule?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)