|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What cities gave MacArthur parades after his return to the United States from the Pacific once Truman dismissed him?
(a) New York and Chicago.
(b) Philadelphia and Boston.
(c) San Francisco and Washington.
(d) Boston and Los Angeles.
2. What did MacArthur tell the press would happen in Korea if he didn't receive more troops?
(a) The Chinese would invade.
(b) He would resign.
(c) The North Koreans would win.
(d) The Korean situation would end in a stalemate.
3. How did the wily MacArthur label the box containing his tea service, candelabra, and other personal items so that the box survived the attack on Manila?
(a) Poison - do not touch.
(b) Official business - Japanese Army.
(c) Medical Supplies - for shipment to Tokyo.
(d) Beware of snakes.
4. What allowed the Allies to successfully thwart the Japanese in the Pacific?
(a) American code-breakers broke Japanese code.
(b) The Japanese men got homesick and surrendered.
(c) The Americans had more planes.
(d) The Japanese contracted a deadly virus.
5. Who did President Truman appoint as Supreme Commander for the Allied Powers (SCAP) in Japan?
6. After the surrender of the Japanese, how did MacArthur address the citizens of the United States to inform them that the world was at peace?
(a) Via radio.
(b) Via television satellite.
(c) Via telegraph.
(d) Via a telegram.
7. Which of the following elements was not something encountered by American forces in the Pacific islands during World War II?
(d) Crocodiles and snakes.
8. What did MacArthur say a nation should do if it wasn't willing to make the full military commitment to winning a war?
(a) It shouldn't fight.
(b) It should dissolve its army.
(c) It should dissolve itself.
(d) It shouldn't be surprised to lose.
9. When Jean MacArthur returned to the Philippines after her husband liberated the islands, what did she do upon seeing the rags the people were wearing?
(a) She wrote an American charity about the problem.
(b) She gave her hat and gloves to some Filipinos.
(c) She wrote the President about the problem.
(d) She wept.
10. How did The United Nations Security Council respond to the invasion of South Korea by North Korea?
(a) They condemned the aggression.
(b) They supported the invasion.
(c) They imposed economic sanctions on both Koreas.
(d) They ignored the conflict.
11. Why did Americans at home during World War II have trouble following the war in the Pacific?
(a) There was poor radio reception from that area.
(b) Television had not yet been invented.
(c) No reporters were allowed near the war.
(d) They were ignorant of its geography.
12. Who was named commander of the Pacific Ocean Areas in 1942?
(a) Admiral King.
(b) Admiral Halsey.
(c) Admiral Chester W. Nimitz.
(d) Admiral Maynard.
13. To where did MacArthur move his advance base once he had the Japanese in retreat?
(a) To Amsterdam.
(b) To Philadelphia.
(c) To Honolulu.
(d) To Moresby.
14. What did the Japanese people think of MacArthur?
(a) They thought he was a powerful enemy.
(b) They hated him.
(c) They respected his intellect but hated him.
(d) He was popular with them.
15. What factors helped the Japanese succeed in the Pacific during World War II?
(a) They had better technology and faster ships.
(b) They were well equipped with petroleum and raw materials.
(c) They had better trained and better equipped soldiers.
(d) They had more men and more planes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Japanese do to punish Filipino guerrillas who fought against them?
2. Which of the following statements does not describe the opinions of MacArthur and the Joint Chiefs of Staff about policy in Korea?
3. Which of the following is not a problem MacArthur had with maps of the Pacific during World War II?
4. Why did the government officials decide to remove MacArthur from command in Korea?
5. How high was the Anglo-American commitment of military resources to the Pacific?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)