|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the Japanese commander of the Philippine defenses?
(a) Lieutenant General Yamaga.
(b) Lieutenant General Tomoyuki Yamashita.
(c) General Mayaki Komo.
(d) General Mashita.
2. What did MacArthur say a nation should do if it wasn't willing to make the full military commitment to winning a war?
(a) It should dissolve its army.
(b) It shouldn't be surprised to lose.
(c) It should dissolve itself.
(d) It shouldn't fight.
3. What were "Sherman carpets"?
(a) A type of shag carpet favored by General Sherman.
(b) Japanese children who were suicide tank bombers.
(c) U.S. Sherman tanks.
(d) Tank drivers.
4. How many reporters accompanied MacArthur to South Korea on his first trip there during the war?
(d) One dozen.
5. Why did the Japanese think an invasion of their homeland was impossible?
(a) They believed they were sacred and divinely protected.
(b) They planted undersea bombs to repel invaders.
(c) They thought Japan was well fortified against invasion.
(d) They had developed germ warfare to repel invaders.
6. What did critics of MacArthur claim?
(a) That he choose which orders he would obey.
(b) That he risked the lives of too many men.
(c) That he was too pompous.
(d) That he was a drunkard.
7. What were the kempei-tai?
(a) The Philippine guerillas.
(b) The Philippine senators.
(c) The Japanese infantry.
(d) The Japanese secret police.
8. When the South Koreans sustained heavy losses at Yalu, troops from which nation were identified as having helped the North Koreans in battle?
9. How long did the British want the Americans to limit their Pacific objectives during World War II?
(a) Until a new prime minister was elected in England.
(b) Six months.
(c) A year.
(d) Until the Germans were defeated in Europe.
10. What factors helped the Japanese succeed in the Pacific during World War II?
(a) They had better trained and better equipped soldiers.
(b) They had better technology and faster ships.
(c) They were well equipped with petroleum and raw materials.
(d) They had more men and more planes.
11. When the Soviet Union announced in 1949 that it had moved its forces out of North Korea, what did that nation expect the United States to do in response?
(a) Remove U.S. forces from Germany.
(b) Remove U.S. forces from South Korea.
(c) Invade China.
(d) Invade North Korea.
12. How many Americans were MacArthur ordered to evacuate from South Korea once the communists invaded?
(a) Five thousand.
(b) Two hundred.
(c) One million.
(d) Two thousand.
13. Which of the following is not a problem MacArthur had with maps of the Pacific during World War II?
(a) There weren't many maps available.
(b) The maps were in black and white rather than color.
(c) They started the war using 18th century charts.
(d) They had to capture enemy maps to know where they were.
14. When Jean MacArthur returned to the Philippines after her husband liberated the islands, what did she do upon seeing the rags the people were wearing?
(a) She wrote the President about the problem.
(b) She wept.
(c) She gave her hat and gloves to some Filipinos.
(d) She wrote an American charity about the problem.
15. Who won the battle at Inchon and Min Gun?
(b) The North Koreans.
(c) The Chinese.
(d) The Japanese.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where did MacArthur move his advance base once he had the Japanese in retreat?
2. Which of the following does not describe an aspect of life in the Philippines in 1944?
3. About what did Truman and MacArthur disagree during the Korean war?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe the opinions of MacArthur and the Joint Chiefs of Staff about policy in Korea?
5. What did the Japanese people think of MacArthur?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)