|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jean MacArthur returned to the Philippines after her husband liberated the islands, what did she do upon seeing the rags the people were wearing?
(a) She wrote the President about the problem.
(b) She gave her hat and gloves to some Filipinos.
(c) She wept.
(d) She wrote an American charity about the problem.
2. How many American and Filipino prisoners died in the Death March that began once the Japanese captured Corregidor?
(a) Eight hundred.
(b) Twenty thousand.
(c) Seven to ten thousand.
(d) One thousand.
3. How many reporters accompanied MacArthur to South Korea on his first trip there during the war?
(b) One dozen.
4. Why did MacArthur fly to Seoul On August 15, 1948?
(a) For a vacation.
(b) The South Koreans gave him a victory parade.
(c) For his wife's birthday.
(d) The South Korean president was being inaugurated.
5. Why did the government officials decide to remove MacArthur from command in Korea?
(a) He was needed more in Germany.
(b) He got shot and was physically disabled.
(c) He was losing the war.
(d) He ignored the President and asked China to surrender.
6. When America entered the Korean War, what did President Truman worry about?
(a) Paying for the war.
(b) The Germans joining North Korea against America.
(c) Losing the war.
(d) Retaliation in other places from the communists.
7. How many Americans were MacArthur ordered to evacuate from South Korea once the communists invaded?
(a) One million.
(b) Five thousand.
(c) Two thousand.
(d) Two hundred.
8. Which Navy admiral did MacArthur admire?
9. When did the communist invasion of South Korea and fighting between North and South Korea begin?
(a) July 24, 1950.
(b) October 8, 1960.
(c) March 13, 1953.
(d) February 12, 1959.
10. After capturing Seoul, what kind of reforms did MacArthur want to establish there?
(a) Industrial reforms.
(b) Economic reforms.
(c) Democratic reforms like he brought to the Philippines.
(d) Military reforms.
11. Why didn't MacArthur use the strategy of island-hopping, i.e. hitting the enemy with direct frontal pressure in battle?
(a) He thought it caused too many casualties.
(b) He believed in doing the unexpected.
(c) He didn't have enough bombs and ships to succeed.
(d) There were too many islands and not enough men.
12. For whom did the 400,000 Japanese soldiers occupying the Philippines in 1944 think it would be a supreme honor to die in battle?
(a) Their families.
(b) General MacArthur.
(c) Their god.
(d) Their emperior Hirohito.
13. What did the Japanese soldiers on Rabaul prefer to do rather than surrender to the Americans?
(a) Kill themselves.
(b) Flee the war and seek refuge in the Philippines.
(c) Continue fighting until they won or were killed.
(d) Live out their lives in the rain forests of the island.
14. Why did MacArthur never send his men to battle on the island of Rabaul?
(a) It was his strategy to attack elsewhere.
(b) The island was populated by cannibals.
(c) The island had active volcanoes.
(d) The Japanese had the island filled with land mines.
15. Who did Quezon designate as his successor as president of the Philippines should he and Osmeña be killed during their flight to Australia?
(a) Jose Laurel.
(b) Felipe Garcia.
(c) Manuel Roxas.
(d) General MacArthur.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where did MacArthur move his advance base once he had the Japanese in retreat?
2. Who was Ah Cheu?
3. What were the kempei-tai?
4. To whom did MacArthur give the vote in Japan?
5. Which Philippine island was nicknamed "the Rock"?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)