|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did MacArthur never send his men to battle on the island of Rabaul?
(a) It was his strategy to attack elsewhere.
(b) The island was populated by cannibals.
(c) The Japanese had the island filled with land mines.
(d) The island had active volcanoes.
2. For whom did the 400,000 Japanese soldiers occupying the Philippines in 1944 think it would be a supreme honor to die in battle?
(a) Their families.
(b) General MacArthur.
(c) Their god.
(d) Their emperior Hirohito.
3. What were the kempei-tai?
(a) The Japanese secret police.
(b) The Japanese infantry.
(c) The Philippine guerillas.
(d) The Philippine senators.
4. When Jean MacArthur returned to the Philippines after her husband liberated the islands, what did she do upon seeing the rags the people were wearing?
(a) She gave her hat and gloves to some Filipinos.
(b) She wept.
(c) She wrote the President about the problem.
(d) She wrote an American charity about the problem.
5. How many reporters accompanied MacArthur to South Korea on his first trip there during the war?
(b) One dozen.
6. How did The United Nations Security Council respond to the invasion of South Korea by North Korea?
(a) They imposed economic sanctions on both Koreas.
(b) They supported the invasion.
(c) They ignored the conflict.
(d) They condemned the aggression.
7. What were "Sherman carpets"?
(a) U.S. Sherman tanks.
(b) A type of shag carpet favored by General Sherman.
(c) Tank drivers.
(d) Japanese children who were suicide tank bombers.
8. Why did MacArthur fly to Seoul On August 15, 1948?
(a) The South Koreans gave him a victory parade.
(b) For his wife's birthday.
(c) The South Korean president was being inaugurated.
(d) For a vacation.
9. What Japanese government document did MacArthur help write?
(a) A new tax law.
(b) A trade agreement with the United Nations.
(c) A new constitution.
(d) A peace treaty with America.
10. Why didn't MacArthur use the strategy of island-hopping, i.e. hitting the enemy with direct frontal pressure in battle?
(a) There were too many islands and not enough men.
(b) He believed in doing the unexpected.
(c) He didn't have enough bombs and ships to succeed.
(d) He thought it caused too many casualties.
11. Which two groups among the Filipino population did not ignore their Japanese invaders, unlike the rest of the population?
(a) The aged and the infirm.
(b) The guerrillas and the collaborators.
(c) The women and children.
(d) The poor farmers and the fishermen.
12. What did critics of MacArthur claim?
(a) That he choose which orders he would obey.
(b) That he was too pompous.
(c) That he risked the lives of too many men.
(d) That he was a drunkard.
13. Who was MacArthur's greatest friend and confidante during the war, the person with whom he spent as much time as possible?
(a) Harry Truman.
(b) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(c) Winston Churchill.
(d) His wife Jean.
14. What factors helped the Japanese succeed in the Pacific during World War II?
(a) They were well equipped with petroleum and raw materials.
(b) They had better technology and faster ships.
(c) They had better trained and better equipped soldiers.
(d) They had more men and more planes.
15. Which Navy admiral did MacArthur admire?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the Japanese commander of the Philippine defenses?
2. Which of the following does not describe an aspect of life in the Philippines in 1944?
3. What nickname did Jean MacArthur use for her husband in her letters to him?
4. Which Filipino leader formed a pro-Japanese regime and declared war on the United States and Great Britain?
5. What did MacArthur tell the press would happen in Korea if he didn't receive more troops?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)