|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't MacArthur use the strategy of island-hopping, i.e. hitting the enemy with direct frontal pressure in battle?
(a) He believed in doing the unexpected.
(b) He thought it caused too many casualties.
(c) He didn't have enough bombs and ships to succeed.
(d) There were too many islands and not enough men.
2. Which Navy admiral did MacArthur admire?
3. For which people in the Pacific was MacArthur committed to bringing freedom?
(d) All people in the Pacific.
4. To whom did MacArthur give the vote in Japan?
(a) Immigrants from the Philippines.
(b) Japanese teenagers.
(c) Japanese women.
(d) Japanese men.
5. What was MacArthur's goal for Korea?
(a) To unite North and South Korea as one nation.
(b) To keep the Chinese out of it.
(c) To keep communism out of South Korea.
(d) To take it over for the United States.
6. When the South Koreans sustained heavy losses at Yalu, troops from which nation were identified as having helped the North Koreans in battle?
7. Who did President Truman appoint as Supreme Commander for the Allied Powers (SCAP) in Japan?
8. Which of the following elements was not something encountered by American forces in the Pacific islands during World War II?
(c) Crocodiles and snakes.
9. When America entered the Korean War, what did President Truman worry about?
(a) The Germans joining North Korea against America.
(b) Retaliation in other places from the communists.
(c) Losing the war.
(d) Paying for the war.
10. What allowed the Allies to successfully thwart the Japanese in the Pacific?
(a) The Japanese contracted a deadly virus.
(b) The Americans had more planes.
(c) American code-breakers broke Japanese code.
(d) The Japanese men got homesick and surrendered.
11. Who was the Japanese commander of the Philippine defenses?
(a) General Mashita.
(b) Lieutenant General Tomoyuki Yamashita.
(c) General Mayaki Komo.
(d) Lieutenant General Yamaga.
12. What was Dai Ichi?
(a) MacArthur's Japanese butler.
(b) A city in Japan.
(c) A city in the Philippines occupied by the Americans.
(d) MacArthur's headquarters in Japan.
13. Why did upper class Filipinos collaborate with the Japanese?
(a) They feared losing their privileged lifestyle if they didn't.
(b) They preferred the Japanese to the Americans.
(c) They wanted the war to end as soon as possible.
(d) They were Japanese in heritage.
14. Which two groups among the Filipino population did not ignore their Japanese invaders, unlike the rest of the population?
(a) The aged and the infirm.
(b) The poor farmers and the fishermen.
(c) The women and children.
(d) The guerrillas and the collaborators.
15. What was MacArthur instructed to do for the South Koreans when the Korean War erupted?
(a) Supply and support them.
(b) Train them to fight.
(c) Shoot them.
(d) Imprison them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people died in the Korean War?
2. According to the United States public polls after World War II, MacArthur was second in popularity to?
3. Which of the following abilities did not fall within MacArthur's range of authority in Japan after the war?
4. What important dignitary did Jean MacArthur entertain in New Guinea in 1942 since Douglas was away at Port Moresby at the time?
5. What did the Japanese soldiers on Rabaul prefer to do rather than surrender to the Americans?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)