|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did MacArthur fly to Seoul On August 15, 1948?
(a) For his wife's birthday.
(b) For a vacation.
(c) The South Korean president was being inaugurated.
(d) The South Koreans gave him a victory parade.
2. How many days after the surrender of the Japanese did MacArthur enter Tokyo?
(a) Eighty days.
(b) One day.
(c) Six days.
(d) Ten days.
3. How did MacArthur treat Manuel Roxas, a known Japanese collaborator, after liberating the Philippines from Japanese rule?
(a) He executed Roxas.
(b) He imprisoned Roxas.
(c) He exonerated Roxas.
(d) He exiled Roxas.
4. What was MacArthur instructed to do for the South Koreans when the Korean War erupted?
(a) Shoot them.
(b) Train them to fight.
(c) Imprison them.
(d) Supply and support them.
5. With which Navy admiral did MacArthur frequently come into conflict?
6. What title was MacArthur given on April 18, 1942?
(a) Commander in Chief of the Philippines.
(b) Secretary of War.
(c) Commander in Chief of the Southwest Pacific Area.
(d) Governor of the Philippines.
7. What did MacArthur tell the press would happen in Korea if he didn't receive more troops?
(a) The Chinese would invade.
(b) The North Koreans would win.
(c) He would resign.
(d) The Korean situation would end in a stalemate.
8. Who did Quezon designate as his successor as president of the Philippines should he and Osmeña be killed during their flight to Australia?
(a) Jose Laurel.
(b) Manuel Roxas.
(c) Felipe Garcia.
(d) General MacArthur.
9. When did MacArthur return to the Rock after having to flee it when the Japanese attacked in 1941?
(a) October 3, 1945.
(b) March 2, 1944.
(c) June 15, 1950.
(d) August 7, 1948.
10. What were "Sherman carpets"?
(a) Tank drivers.
(b) A type of shag carpet favored by General Sherman.
(c) U.S. Sherman tanks.
(d) Japanese children who were suicide tank bombers.
11. When the Soviet Union announced in 1949 that it had moved its forces out of North Korea, what did that nation expect the United States to do in response?
(a) Remove U.S. forces from South Korea.
(b) Invade North Korea.
(c) Invade China.
(d) Remove U.S. forces from Germany.
12. What country did MacArthur think would have fallen to the Japanese if Corregidor had not held out?
(a) The United States.
(b) New Zealand.
13. When America entered the Korean War, what did President Truman worry about?
(a) Retaliation in other places from the communists.
(b) Losing the war.
(c) The Germans joining North Korea against America.
(d) Paying for the war.
14. What nickname did Jean MacArthur use for her husband in her letters to him?
(d) Sir Boss.
15. Which of the following statements does not describe the opinions of MacArthur and the Joint Chiefs of Staff about policy in Korea?
(a) MacArthur and the Joint Chiefs of Staff disagreed.
(b) The Joint Chiefs wanted to keep the current policy.
(c) MacArthur and the Joint Chiefs of Staff agreed.
(d) MacArthur wanted the U.S. position strengthened.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Filipino leader formed a pro-Japanese regime and declared war on the United States and Great Britain?
2. Why were the Japanese determined not to let MacArthur retake the Philippines?
3. How many people died in the Korean War?
4. How did MacArthur see the war in the Pacific?
5. On which political party ticket did people begin to talk about MacArthur running for President as he began to succeed against the Japanese in the Pacific?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)