|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what famous Civil War battle did Douglas MacArthur's father fight in November 1863?
(d) Missionary Ridge.
2. What did MacArthur expand the West Point curriculum to include?
(a) Art and drama.
(b) More traditional academic subjects.
3. To what division of the Army was MacArthur first assigned when he finished at West Point as a second lieutenant?
(a) The motor pool.
(b) The medical corps.
(c) The cavalry.
(d) The Corps of Engineers.
4. Once the Philippines became independent, what job did MacArthur want there?
(a) High commissioner.
5. What sports did MacArthur play during his four years at West Point?
(a) Cricket and croquet.
(b) Baseball and football.
(c) Soccer and tennis.
(d) Basketball and softball.
6. Which member of his family accompanied MacArthur to the Philippines?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His brother.
(d) His uncle.
7. Who served as MacArthur's chief aide in the Philippines?
(a) Harry Truman.
(b) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(c) Carlton Reynolds.
(d) Jerry Overstreet.
8. What two European countries declared war on the United States soon after the attack on Pearl Harbor?
(a) France and Germany.
(b) Germany and Italy.
(c) Poland and Hungary.
(d) Spain and Greece.
9. Instead of remaining at headquarters as he was supposed to, what did MacArthur do during the first big battle near Reims?
(a) He fled the battlefield.
(b) He joined the troops in the trenches.
(c) He drove to Paris to party with French actors.
(d) He took pictures of the battle from a safe distance.
10. In what branch of the military did Douglas MacArthur's brother Arthur III serve?
(a) The Coast Guard.
(b) The Marines.
(c) The Navy.
(d) The Air Force.
11. Of what brigade was MacArthur made the permanent commander during World War I?
(a) The 18th brigade.
(b) The 84th brigade.
(c) The 99th brigade.
(d) The 22nd brigade.
12. When MacArthur returned to active duty in 1941 and was made lieutenant general and put in charge of the troops in the Pacific, how much money was allotted to him to use for the defense of the Philippines?
(a) Ten million dollars.
(b) Two million dollars.
(c) Three hundred thousand dollars.
(d) One billion dollars.
13. Who opposed MacArthur's first marriage?
(a) The bride's father.
(b) MacArthur's grandfather.
(c) MacArthur's commanding officer.
(d) MacArthur's mother Pinky.
14. What was the profession of MacArthur's grandfather, Arthur Sr.?
(a) He was a preacher.
(b) He was a blacksmith.
(c) He was a sailor.
(d) He was a judge.
15. For what purpose was MacArthur's 42nd group, positioned at Nancy during World War I, destined to be used?
(a) As ambulance drivers.
(b) As replacements.
(c) As guinea pigs for chemical experiments.
(d) As spies.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Douglas MacArthur sail for Europe to join World War I?
2. Who was MacArthur's first year roommate at West Point?
3. How soon after the December 7th attack on Pearl Harbor were the Japanese on the ground in the Philippines?
4. At what time of day did the attack on Pearl Harbor become known?
5. How often did MacArthur attend church?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)