|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What renowned former Presidents were MacArthur's heroes?
(a) Harding and Teddy Roosevelt.
(b) Jefferson and Grant.
(c) Washington and Lincoln.
(d) Jefferson and Adams.
2. To whom did MacArthur equate himself as a defender of Christianity?
(b) Billy Graham.
(c) The crusaders from the Middle Ages.
(d) The Pope.
3. Who served as MacArthur's chief aide in the Philippines?
(a) Jerry Overstreet.
(b) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(c) Carlton Reynolds.
(d) Harry Truman.
4. What happened when MacArthur was given command of a company at Leavenworth?
(a) He realized he didn't like leading others.
(b) They became the highest rated company.
(c) The company rebelled and would not obey him.
(d) The company received a high number of demerits.
5. When the Japanese attacked the Philippines, what happened to the United States air fleet stationed there?
(a) Most of it was destroyed.
(b) It was bombed but it was able to repel the Japanese.
(c) It malfunctioned.
(d) It fled to Australia.
6. What did the plebes gain once MacArthur restructured the program and routine at West Point that they had not had before?
(a) Spending money and weekend passes.
(b) Sports teams and a band.
(c) New uniforms.
(d) Television sets and radios.
7. Which member of his family accompanied MacArthur to the Philippines?
(a) His mother.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His brother.
(d) His father.
8. What kind of warfare was being fought in France in 1914?
(a) Aerial warefare.
(b) Nuclear warfare.
(c) Naval warfare.
(d) Trench warfare.
9. Why did MacArthur have to testify at a Congressional investigation about his experience at West Point?
(a) Another student shot an instructor.
(b) Another plebe died from an act of hazing.
(c) He was involved in a scandal involving theft.
(d) He witnessed an act of cheating at the school.
10. When MacArthur returned to active duty in 1941 and was made lieutenant general and put in charge of the troops in the Pacific, how much money was allotted to him to use for the defense of the Philippines?
(a) Three hundred thousand dollars.
(b) Ten million dollars.
(c) Two million dollars.
(d) One billion dollars.
11. For what purpose was MacArthur's 42nd group, positioned at Nancy during World War I, destined to be used?
(a) As ambulance drivers.
(b) As spies.
(c) As guinea pigs for chemical experiments.
(d) As replacements.
12. What did MacArthur expand the West Point curriculum to include?
(b) More traditional academic subjects.
(c) Art and drama.
13. What military honor did MacArthur's father earn for his service during the Civil War?
(a) The Medal of Bravery.
(b) The Medal of Honor.
(c) The Purple Heart.
(d) The Iron Cross.
14. Where did Arthur MacArthur, Jr. serve in the army after the Civil War ended?
(a) Fort Knox.
(b) The Western front.
(c) For Ticonderoga.
(d) Fort Niagara.
15. What was the name of MacArthur's first wife?
(a) Jeanette Edmonds.
(b) Laurel Marie Zimmerman.
(c) Sheila Nathan.
(d) Henriette Louise Cromwell Brooks.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Douglas MacArthur born?
2. During his early childhood in the west, by whom were Douglas MacArthur and his brother schooled?
3. What two European countries declared war on the United States soon after the attack on Pearl Harbor?
4. Who was MacArthur's first year roommate at West Point?
5. What made MacArthur's first three weeks at West Point extremely difficult?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)