|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was strictly forbidden at West Point once MacArthur accepted his position there?
(b) Cheating on exams.
2. In Spring 1914, to what country was MacArthur sent to gather information in preparation for possible war?
3. What happened during the MacArthur family journey by sea away from the Philippines?
(a) They encountered a German submarine.
(b) They all got malaria.
(c) The ship sprung a leak and nearly sunk.
(d) They encountered the Japanese and narrowly escaped.
4. When the Japanese bombed Corregidor, where did the MacArthurs seek refuge on the besieged island?
(a) In the basement of a prison.
(b) In the basement of a school.
(c) In a cave.
(d) In a tunnel.
5. When was Douglas MacArthur born?
(a) January 26, 1880.
(b) June 15, 1900.
(c) April 12, 1885.
(d) December 4, 1897.
6. As a fifty-four year old man, who did MacArthur fear would learn about his Eurasian girlfriend?
(a) The press.
(b) The President.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mother.
7. In breaking through the Hindenburg Line during the strategic battle of Cote-de-Chatillon, how many men did the Rainbow Division lose?
(a) Two hundred.
(c) Four thousand.
(d) Ten thousand.
8. When the Japanese attacked the Philippines, what happened to the United States air fleet stationed there?
(a) It fled to Australia.
(b) Most of it was destroyed.
(c) It was bombed but it was able to repel the Japanese.
(d) It malfunctioned.
9. What did the plebes gain once MacArthur restructured the program and routine at West Point that they had not had before?
(a) New uniforms.
(b) Sports teams and a band.
(c) Television sets and radios.
(d) Spending money and weekend passes.
10. Instead of remaining at headquarters as he was supposed to, what did MacArthur do during the first big battle near Reims?
(a) He drove to Paris to party with French actors.
(b) He joined the troops in the trenches.
(c) He fled the battlefield.
(d) He took pictures of the battle from a safe distance.
11. When MacArthur returned to active duty in 1941 and was made lieutenant general and put in charge of the troops in the Pacific, how much money was allotted to him to use for the defense of the Philippines?
(a) Ten million dollars.
(b) Three hundred thousand dollars.
(c) One billion dollars.
(d) Two million dollars.
12. What Filipino dignitaries were named as godparents for MacArthur's son, Arthur MacArthur IV?
(a) John and Phoebe Onera.
(b) Manuel and Aurora Quezon.
(c) Pedro and Cecilia Garcia.
(d) Hernan and Luisa Rivera.
13. What military honor did MacArthur's father earn for his service during the Civil War?
(a) The Medal of Honor.
(b) The Purple Heart.
(c) The Medal of Bravery.
(d) The Iron Cross.
14. Where did MacArthur win his fifth Silver Star?
(a) At Essey.
(b) At Paris.
(c) At Normandy.
(d) At Dunkirk.
15. Which member of his family accompanied MacArthur to the Philippines?
(a) His brother.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what division of the Army was MacArthur first assigned when he finished at West Point as a second lieutenant?
2. How soon after the December 7th attack on Pearl Harbor were the Japanese on the ground in the Philippines?
3. Who accidentally took MacArthur prisoner at one point during World War I?
4. Once MacArthur became Chief of Staff in 1930 and moved to Washington, what did he work on during the New Deal administration?
5. How old was MacArthur when he died?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)