|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rank did Pershing tell MacArthur he would have if he accepted his West Point appointment?
(d) Brigadier general.
2. What Filipino dignitaries were named as godparents for MacArthur's son, Arthur MacArthur IV?
(a) Manuel and Aurora Quezon.
(b) John and Phoebe Onera.
(c) Pedro and Cecilia Garcia.
(d) Hernan and Luisa Rivera.
3. To whom did MacArthur equate himself as a defender of Christianity?
(a) The Pope.
(b) Billy Graham.
(c) The crusaders from the Middle Ages.
4. Who served as MacArthur's chief aide in the Philippines?
(a) Jerry Overstreet.
(b) Harry Truman.
(c) Carlton Reynolds.
(d) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
5. When the Japanese bombed Corregidor, where did the MacArthurs seek refuge on the besieged island?
(a) In the basement of a school.
(b) In a tunnel.
(c) In a cave.
(d) In the basement of a prison.
6. In what year was The Philippines made an independent commonwealth?
7. What disagreement led to MacArthur's resignation from the Army's active list on December 31, 1937?
(a) Disagreement over his rank.
(b) Disagreement over his relationship with Quezon.
(c) Disagreement over his militarization of the Philippines.
(d) Disagreement over his salary.
8. In what famous Civil War battle did Douglas MacArthur's father fight in November 1863?
(b) Missionary Ridge.
9. To what office at West Point did Pershing appoint MacArthur after World War I?
(c) Assistant Professor.
10. With which religious denomination did MacArthur affiliate?
11. For what purpose was MacArthur's 42nd group, positioned at Nancy during World War I, destined to be used?
(a) As ambulance drivers.
(b) As spies.
(c) As replacements.
(d) As guinea pigs for chemical experiments.
12. In the days before American entry into the war, what division of the Army did MacArthur say he wanted to be in when he was promoted to colonel?
(a) Military intelligence.
(b) The medical corps.
(c) The cavalry.
(d) The infantry.
13. When MacArthur returned to active duty in 1941 and was made lieutenant general and put in charge of the troops in the Pacific, how much money was allotted to him to use for the defense of the Philippines?
(a) One billion dollars.
(b) Three hundred thousand dollars.
(c) Ten million dollars.
(d) Two million dollars.
14. When did Douglas MacArthur sail for Europe to join World War I?
(a) In March 1912.
(b) In February 1914.
(c) In October 1917.
(d) In July 1918.
15. Once the Philippines became independent, what job did MacArthur want there?
(a) High commissioner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the MacArthurs celebrate Christmas early in 1941?
2. What did MacArthur expand the West Point curriculum to include?
3. At what time of day did the attack on Pearl Harbor become known?
4. When the Japanese attacked the Philippines, what happened to the United States air fleet stationed there?
5. How many medals did MacArthur receive during the course of his career?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)