|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Douglas MacArthur sail for Europe to join World War I?
(a) In October 1917.
(b) In July 1918.
(c) In March 1912.
(d) In February 1914.
2. Where did Arthur MacArthur, Jr. serve in the army after the Civil War ended?
(a) Fort Knox.
(b) The Western front.
(c) For Ticonderoga.
(d) Fort Niagara.
3. How often did MacArthur attend church?
(a) Sporadically, but whenever his schedule allowed.
(b) Twice weekly.
4. What kind of father was Douglas MacArthur?
(a) A loving and devoted father.
(b) An overprotective father.
(c) A stern father.
(d) An overly critical father.
5. In Spring 1914, to what country was MacArthur sent to gather information in preparation for possible war?
6. When the Japanese attacked the Philippines, what happened to the United States air fleet stationed there?
(a) It was bombed but it was able to repel the Japanese.
(b) It malfunctioned.
(c) Most of it was destroyed.
(d) It fled to Australia.
7. What renowned former Presidents were MacArthur's heroes?
(a) Harding and Teddy Roosevelt.
(b) Washington and Lincoln.
(c) Jefferson and Grant.
(d) Jefferson and Adams.
8. Why did MacArthur have to testify at a Congressional investigation about his experience at West Point?
(a) Another plebe died from an act of hazing.
(b) Another student shot an instructor.
(c) He witnessed an act of cheating at the school.
(d) He was involved in a scandal involving theft.
9. What kind of warfare was being fought in France in 1914?
(a) Aerial warefare.
(b) Trench warfare.
(c) Naval warfare.
(d) Nuclear warfare.
10. To what rank did Arthur MacArthur, Jr. get promoted by age nineteen?
11. What happened during the MacArthur family journey by sea away from the Philippines?
(a) The ship sprung a leak and nearly sunk.
(b) They encountered a German submarine.
(c) They all got malaria.
(d) They encountered the Japanese and narrowly escaped.
12. To what division of the Army was MacArthur first assigned when he finished at West Point as a second lieutenant?
(a) The motor pool.
(b) The cavalry.
(c) The medical corps.
(d) The Corps of Engineers.
13. Instead of remaining at headquarters as he was supposed to, what did MacArthur do during the first big battle near Reims?
(a) He drove to Paris to party with French actors.
(b) He fled the battlefield.
(c) He took pictures of the battle from a safe distance.
(d) He joined the troops in the trenches.
14. During what event did Arthur MacArthur, Jr. die?
(a) A reunion of Gettysburg survivors.
(b) His daughter's wedding.
(c) His grandson's baptism.
(d) A reunion of Missionary Ridge survivors.
15. What was strictly forbidden at West Point once MacArthur accepted his position there?
(a) Cheating on exams.
Short Answer Questions
1. In breaking through the Hindenburg Line during the strategic battle of Cote-de-Chatillon, how many men did the Rainbow Division lose?
2. In how many wars did MacArthur serve?
3. For what purpose was MacArthur's 42nd group, positioned at Nancy during World War I, destined to be used?
4. What did the Filipino first lady give MacArthur on August 24, 1936, making him a field marshal?
5. What was the profession of MacArthur's grandfather, Arthur Sr.?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)