|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once MacArthur became Chief of Staff in 1930 and moved to Washington, what did he work on during the New Deal administration?
(a) A new secret weapon.
(b) The military defense budget.
(c) The Civilian Conservation Corps.
(d) Increasing the enlistment to the army.
2. What was strictly forbidden at West Point once MacArthur accepted his position there?
(b) Cheating on exams.
3. What happened during the MacArthur family journey by sea away from the Philippines?
(a) The ship sprung a leak and nearly sunk.
(b) They encountered a German submarine.
(c) They all got malaria.
(d) They encountered the Japanese and narrowly escaped.
4. Who accidentally took MacArthur prisoner at one point during World War I?
(a) The Canadians.
(b) The Australians.
(c) The British.
(d) Another American division that quickly released him.
5. During what event did Arthur MacArthur, Jr. die?
(a) His daughter's wedding.
(b) A reunion of Missionary Ridge survivors.
(c) A reunion of Gettysburg survivors.
(d) His grandson's baptism.
6. When did MacArthur enter the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York?
(a) April 15, 1917.
(b) June 13, 1899.
(c) September 8, 1895.
(d) May 2, 1910.
7. What sports did MacArthur play during his four years at West Point?
(a) Baseball and football.
(b) Basketball and softball.
(c) Cricket and croquet.
(d) Soccer and tennis.
8. In Spring 1914, to what country was MacArthur sent to gather information in preparation for possible war?
9. In what branch of the military did Douglas MacArthur's brother Arthur III serve?
(a) The Marines.
(b) The Air Force.
(c) The Navy.
(d) The Coast Guard.
10. Instead of remaining at headquarters as he was supposed to, what did MacArthur do during the first big battle near Reims?
(a) He fled the battlefield.
(b) He joined the troops in the trenches.
(c) He took pictures of the battle from a safe distance.
(d) He drove to Paris to party with French actors.
11. How did MacArthur want to be seen and treated by others?
(a) He wanted to be left alone.
(b) He wanted to be revered.
(c) He wanted to be respected.
(d) He wanted to be considered superior to others.
12. Of what place was Arthur MacArthur, Jr. made military governor in 1900?
(c) Easter Island.
(d) The Philippines.
13. In how many wars did MacArthur serve?
14. On what day in 1941 did the MacArthurs leave for Corregidor since Manila, the city in which they lived, was being bombed?
(a) New Year's Day.
(b) Thanksgiving Day.
(c) New Year's Eve.
(d) Christmas Eve.
15. What rank did Pershing tell MacArthur he would have if he accepted his West Point appointment?
(b) Brigadier general.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a fifty-four year old man, who did MacArthur fear would learn about his Eurasian girlfriend?
2. To which ancient world leader did some people compare MacArthur?
3. To where did MacArthur and his family go when they left Corregidor?
4. To what office at West Point did Pershing appoint MacArthur after World War I?
5. What did the plebes gain once MacArthur restructured the program and routine at West Point that they had not had before?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)