|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what famous Civil War battle did Douglas MacArthur's father fight in November 1863?
(d) Missionary Ridge.
2. What was the name of MacArthur's first wife?
(a) Henriette Louise Cromwell Brooks.
(b) Jeanette Edmonds.
(c) Sheila Nathan.
(d) Laurel Marie Zimmerman.
3. What two European countries declared war on the United States soon after the attack on Pearl Harbor?
(a) Poland and Hungary.
(b) France and Germany.
(c) Spain and Greece.
(d) Germany and Italy.
4. What piece of equipment did MacArthur refuse to carry during World War I, resulting in his injury?
(a) A knife.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A gas mask.
(d) A sword.
5. Who was MacArthur's first year roommate at West Point?
(a) Arthur P.S. Hyde.
(b) Jonathan Claremont.
(c) David Swenson.
(d) Dwight Eisenhower.
6. What rank did Pershing tell MacArthur he would have if he refused his West Point appointment?
7. How old was MacArthur when he died?
(c) Eighty four.
(d) Sixty two.
8. What was the nickname MacArthur's men gave him?
(a) General Mac.
(b) Uncle Mac.
(c) Dugout Doug.
9. What sports did MacArthur play during his four years at West Point?
(a) Basketball and softball.
(b) Soccer and tennis.
(c) Baseball and football.
(d) Cricket and croquet.
10. To whom did MacArthur equate himself as a defender of Christianity?
(a) Billy Graham.
(b) The crusaders from the Middle Ages.
(d) The Pope.
11. How often did MacArthur attend church?
(c) Sporadically, but whenever his schedule allowed.
(d) Twice weekly.
12. How many medals did MacArthur receive during the course of his career?
(c) Twenty two.
13. Who wanted MacArthur to resign from the army?
(a) The president.
(b) His mother Pinky.
(c) His Eurasian girlfriend.
(d) His wife Louise and her family.
14. What happened during the MacArthur family journey by sea away from the Philippines?
(a) They encountered a German submarine.
(b) They encountered the Japanese and narrowly escaped.
(c) The ship sprung a leak and nearly sunk.
(d) They all got malaria.
15. At what time of day did the attack on Pearl Harbor become known?
(a) At noon.
(b) After three in the morning.
(c) At four in the afternoon.
(d) At midnight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who opposed MacArthur's first marriage?
2. Where did Arthur MacArthur, Jr. serve in the army after the Civil War ended?
3. How did MacArthur want to be seen and treated by others?
4. As a fifty-four year old man, who did MacArthur fear would learn about his Eurasian girlfriend?
5. What made MacArthur's first three weeks at West Point extremely difficult?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)