|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Arthur MacArthur, Jr. serve in the army after the Civil War ended?
(a) Fort Niagara.
(b) The Western front.
(c) Fort Knox.
(d) For Ticonderoga.
2. To which ancient world leader did some people compare MacArthur?
(a) Attila the Hun.
(b) Alexander the Great.
(d) Gengis Khan.
3. What was the nickname MacArthur's men gave him?
(a) Dugout Doug.
(b) Uncle Mac.
(d) General Mac.
4. Of what brigade was MacArthur made the permanent commander during World War I?
(a) The 84th brigade.
(b) The 18th brigade.
(c) The 99th brigade.
(d) The 22nd brigade.
5. How many times was MacArthur married?
(b) Three times.
6. Instead of remaining at headquarters as he was supposed to, what did MacArthur do during the first big battle near Reims?
(a) He took pictures of the battle from a safe distance.
(b) He joined the troops in the trenches.
(c) He fled the battlefield.
(d) He drove to Paris to party with French actors.
7. At what age did MacArthur become the youngest division commander in the war?
(a) Thirty eight.
(b) Twenty nine.
(d) Forty two.
8. To where did MacArthur and his family go when they left Corregidor?
(d) New York.
9. What disagreement led to MacArthur's resignation from the Army's active list on December 31, 1937?
(a) Disagreement over his salary.
(b) Disagreement over his relationship with Quezon.
(c) Disagreement over his rank.
(d) Disagreement over his militarization of the Philippines.
10. Under whose command was the Rainbow Division in which MacArthur fought during World War I?
(a) Dwight Eisenhower.
(b) Harry Truman.
(c) General John J. Pershing.
(d) Lord Mountbatten of Britain.
11. Who was MacArthur's first year roommate at West Point?
(a) Dwight Eisenhower.
(b) Arthur P.S. Hyde.
(c) David Swenson.
(d) Jonathan Claremont.
12. What happened when MacArthur was given command of a company at Leavenworth?
(a) He realized he didn't like leading others.
(b) They became the highest rated company.
(c) The company received a high number of demerits.
(d) The company rebelled and would not obey him.
13. Who opposed MacArthur's first marriage?
(a) MacArthur's commanding officer.
(b) MacArthur's mother Pinky.
(c) MacArthur's grandfather.
(d) The bride's father.
14. When did MacArthur enter the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York?
(a) May 2, 1910.
(b) September 8, 1895.
(c) June 13, 1899.
(d) April 15, 1917.
15. Why did the MacArthurs celebrate Christmas early in 1941?
(a) They feared the Japanese would soon capture them.
(b) MacArthur was being sent to Europe to fight.
(c) They feared they would be dead by Christmas.
(d) They knew they would have to evacuate by Christmas.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his early childhood in the west, by whom were Douglas MacArthur and his brother schooled?
2. Who wanted MacArthur to resign from the army?
3. Why did MacArthur have to testify at a Congressional investigation about his experience at West Point?
4. To whom did MacArthur equate himself as a defender of Christianity?
5. What did MacArthur feel about the likelihood of a Japanese attack in the Philippines, immediately after the attack on Pearl Harbor?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)