|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the newspaper headline say is leading the strike?
2. What does Macario tell Carlos?
3. Where does Carlos find Nick after he leaves Portland?
4. Who does Carlos try to find, but is unsuccessful?
5. What does Carlos write that is published?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ganzo find Carlos?
2. What does Amado give to Carlos as he goes to join the Navy?
3. How does Carlos feel about being portrayed in the newspaper as a Filipino communist?
4. What is Carlos doing when he decides that no one will destroy his faith in America?
5. How does Amado react to being hit with the pan by Carlos?
6. Why does Claro tell Carlos that he must leave Stockton immediately?
7. What does Carlos continue to do to pass the time while he is in the hospital?
8. Why do Macario and Nick not go to Spain?
9. How does Carlos feel after meeting with the Filipino communist?
10. Why is Carlos denied the transfer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Formulate a plan for Carlos in an essay to continue living his life and battling the prejudices he faces now that his brothers have left for military service.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Carlos' main method of dealing with problems. Make an evaluation as to the effectiveness of this method and support your evaluation with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast life for Carlos with that of his brother Amado.
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)