|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the organization they develop out of the meeting?
2. What good news does Carlos receive in regard to his writing?
3. Which of the following characters does Carlos meet on the return train trip to Los Angeles?
4. How does Carlos travel?
5. Where does Carlos go to escape his own reality?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Rios, Lacson and Dozier begin to convert the CPFR chapters into the Communist Party?
2. Where are Carlos and Macario when the police search them?
3. Why doesn't the editor of the magazine who wants to arrange for a scholarship for Carlos ever meet him?
4. What does Carlos hope will come from the meeting he and Jose call?
5. Why does Carlos hate the middle and upper classes?
6. Why is Carlos afraid to leave the hospital?
7. Describe the crew leader's story in San Fernando.
8. Why does Claro tell Carlos that he must leave Stockton immediately?
9. What is one reason that many of the Filipinos want to fight to free their country of birth?
10. What is Carlos doing when he decides that no one will destroy his faith in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Carlos' main method of dealing with problems. Make an evaluation as to the effectiveness of this method and support your evaluation with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast life for Carlos with that of his brother Amado.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the sacrifices the peasants in the Philippines in the 1940's make to ensure their children receive an education. Compare this to current American society's sacrifices for education.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)