|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Carlos leave?
2. What is the first victory the Filipinos win in their battle for civil rights?
3. Which of the following characters does Carlos find in Monterey?
4. How many Filipino contractors control about 3,000 Filipino workers?
5. Why do the people Carlos lives with decide to find a new place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carlos feel after he realizes that no one will ever destroy his faith in America?
2. Why does Carlos strike Amado with a pan?
3. How long does the relationship between Carlos and Eileen last?
4. What does Carlos find out his friends and his brother, Macario?
5. What is Carlos doing when he decides that no one will destroy his faith in America?
6. What is one reason that many of the Filipinos want to fight to free their country of birth?
7. What does Amado give to Carlos as he goes to join the Navy?
8. What happens when Carlos shows his published book to Amado at the bar?
9. In Macario's absence, what happens to Carlos and Eileen?
10. What does Carlos hope will come from the meeting he and Jose call?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the sacrifices the peasants in the Philippines in the 1940's make to ensure their children receive an education. Compare this to current American society's sacrifices for education.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing racial issues which are described throughout the novel. Make an evaluation as to the level of racial issues present during the time frame of the novel and present day.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining to someone who may have not read this novel, why it is important for the peasants of the Philippines to have land. Include in your essay reasons why and what might happen to those that do not have any land.
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)