|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Carlos and Macario move once they are evicted?
2. Why is Carlos losing interest in the fight?
3. When does Carlos leave?
4. To whom does Ann Dozier direct Jose and Carlos?
5. What does Macario tell Carlos he can do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Carlos afraid to leave the hospital?
2. What seems to be Carlos' reaction to serious problems?
3. Where does Ganzo find Carlos?
4. Why does Carlos hate the middle and upper classes?
5. Why does Claro tell Carlos that he must leave Stockton immediately?
6. Describe the crew leader's story in San Fernando.
7. Where are Carlos and Macario when the police search them?
8. How does Carlos feel after he realizes that no one will ever destroy his faith in America?
9. What does Carlos continue to do for Ganzo?
10. Why does Carlos spend time with the San Fernando crew leader's wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the social conditions Carlos faces throughout the text. Make evaluations and judgments about his reaction to the conditions. Use specific examples from the novel to support your position and statements.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of physical disabilities in this novel. Include examples of how they are described and their impact on success for the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the sacrifices the peasants in the Philippines in the 1940's make to ensure their children receive an education. Compare this to current American society's sacrifices for education.
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)