|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the newspaper headline say is leading the strike?
2. What does Macario tell Carlos?
3. Which president signs the special proclamation allowing Filipinos to fight in the armed forces?
4. Where is Carlos' first stop on his trip visiting the workers?
5. Which of the following is the title of Carlos' first published book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carlos find out his friends and his brother, Macario?
2. How does Carlos feel about being portrayed in the newspaper as a Filipino communist?
3. Why do Rios, Lacson and Dozier begin to convert the CPFR chapters into the Communist Party?
4. Why doesn't the editor of the magazine who wants to arrange for a scholarship for Carlos ever meet him?
5. How does Carlos feel after meeting with the Filipino communist?
6. What is Carlos doing when he decides that no one will destroy his faith in America?
7. Why does Claro tell Carlos that he must leave Stockton immediately?
8. What does Carlos continue to do to pass the time while he is in the hospital?
9. What does Amado think about Carlos?
10. What does Amado give to Carlos as he goes to join the Navy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay discussing the differences in class explained throughout the book and relate that to class system in America during the same time period.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how illness and a time frame on life affect Carlos. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in the life of a Filipino immigrant during this time frame. Use examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)