|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long should Macario be able to live on the money Carlos gives him?
2. After his operations, what is Carlos missing on his right side?
3. How does Carlos get the money that he gives to Macario?
4. Where is Carlos' first stop on his trip visiting the workers?
5. What good news does Carlos receive in regard to his writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Carlos denied the transfer?
2. Why do Macario and Nick not go to Spain?
3. Where are Carlos and Macario when the police search them?
4. What happens when Carlos shows his published book to Amado at the bar?
5. Why does Carlos spend time with the San Fernando crew leader's wife?
6. Why do Rios, Lacson and Dozier begin to convert the CPFR chapters into the Communist Party?
7. Why doesn't the editor of the magazine who wants to arrange for a scholarship for Carlos ever meet him?
8. How long does the relationship between Carlos and Eileen last?
9. Where does Ganzo find Carlos?
10. What does Carlos continue to do to pass the time while he is in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elaborate on Carlos' idea that he belongs in America in an essay using specific examples and supporting details from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing the differences in class explained throughout the book and relate that to class system in America during the same time period.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of physical disabilities in this novel. Include examples of how they are described and their impact on success for the characters.
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)