|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Carlos evicted?
2. What does Carlos dream about while on the bus?
3. Where is Carlos when Pearl Harbor is attacked?
4. Which of the following best describes Carlos' understanding of his illness and diagnosis?
5. Which character does Carlos meet in San Pedro?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Carlos doing when he decides that no one will destroy his faith in America?
2. Why is Carlos afraid he is dying?
3. What is one reason that many of the Filipinos want to fight to free their country of birth?
4. Why do Rios, Lacson and Dozier begin to convert the CPFR chapters into the Communist Party?
5. How does Carlos feel after he realizes that no one will ever destroy his faith in America?
6. What does Carlos continue to do to pass the time while he is in the hospital?
7. How long does the relationship between Carlos and Eileen last?
8. In Macario's absence, what happens to Carlos and Eileen?
9. Where are Carlos and Macario when the police search them?
10. Where does Ganzo find Carlos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay discussing the differences in class explained throughout the book and relate that to class system in America during the same time period.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast life for Carlos with that of his brother Amado.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the social conditions Carlos faces throughout the text. Make evaluations and judgments about his reaction to the conditions. Use specific examples from the novel to support your position and statements.
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)