|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carlos dream about while on the bus?
2. Why are there not many workers in Bakersfield?
3. Where does Carlos head?
4. What does the boy from a different ward ask Carlos to do for him?
5. Where is Carlos' work beginning to get published?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carlos do once he hears that Pearl Harbor has been attacked?
2. Why does Claro tell Carlos that he must leave Stockton immediately?
3. How does Carlos feel about being portrayed in the newspaper as a Filipino communist?
4. What is one reason that many of the Filipinos want to fight to free their country of birth?
5. What does Amado think about Carlos?
6. Why do Rios, Lacson and Dozier begin to convert the CPFR chapters into the Communist Party?
7. Why doesn't the editor of the magazine who wants to arrange for a scholarship for Carlos ever meet him?
8. Why does Carlos spend time with the San Fernando crew leader's wife?
9. What seems to be Carlos' reaction to serious problems?
10. Where does Ganzo find Carlos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in the life of a Filipino immigrant during this time frame. Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining to someone who may have not read this novel, why it is important for the peasants of the Philippines to have land. Include in your essay reasons why and what might happen to those that do not have any land.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how this novel may have been written significantly differently if it had been written from a different viewpoint. Explain why and how these differences might occur.
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)