|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes who has taken over the CPRF and labor organizations?
2. What does Carlos start as he moves around?
3. To whom does Carlos want to show his book?
4. What type of crop is harvested in San Fernando?
5. What does Carlos learn from Nick?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carlos feel after he realizes that no one will ever destroy his faith in America?
2. Why does Carlos strike Amado with a pan?
3. What seems to be Carlos' reaction to serious problems?
4. Why does Carlos hate the middle and upper classes?
5. What does Carlos do once he hears that Pearl Harbor has been attacked?
6. Where are Carlos and Macario when the police search them?
7. How does Carlos feel about being portrayed in the newspaper as a Filipino communist?
8. What does Carlos continue to do to pass the time while he is in the hospital?
9. Where does Ganzo find Carlos?
10. Why is Carlos afraid to leave the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Carlos' main method of dealing with problems. Make an evaluation as to the effectiveness of this method and support your evaluation with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in the life of a Filipino immigrant during this time frame. Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Interpret Carlos' idea that his faith in America has been restored by explaining how and why he has come to this conclusion.
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)