|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Carlos live with after leaving the hospital?
2. Who does the newspaper headline say is leading the strike?
3. Where does Carlos find Nick after he leaves Portland?
4. Where does Carlos head after leaving Stockton?
5. Which character does Carlos meet in San Pedro?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carlos continue to do for Ganzo?
2. In Macario's absence, what happens to Carlos and Eileen?
3. What happens when Carlos shows his published book to Amado at the bar?
4. How does Amado react to being hit with the pan by Carlos?
5. Where does Ganzo find Carlos?
6. Describe the crew leader's story in San Fernando.
7. Why is Carlos denied the transfer?
8. What seems to be Carlos' reaction to serious problems?
9. What does Amado give to Carlos as he goes to join the Navy?
10. What does Carlos continue to do to pass the time while he is in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the social conditions Carlos faces throughout the text. Make evaluations and judgments about his reaction to the conditions. Use specific examples from the novel to support your position and statements.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how illness and a time frame on life affect Carlos. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast life for Carlos with that of his brother Amado.
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)