|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is the contractor Carlos goes to see in Bakersfield?
2. Who does Carlos try to find, but is unsuccessful?
3. What do Carlos, Jose and Macario want to do?
4. Which branch of the armed services does Amado join?
5. What does Carlos believe can never be destroyed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't the editor of the magazine who wants to arrange for a scholarship for Carlos ever meet him?
2. What does Carlos continue to do for Ganzo?
3. What does Amado think about Carlos?
4. Why does Carlos spend time with the San Fernando crew leader's wife?
5. Why is Carlos denied the transfer?
6. What does Carlos continue to do to pass the time while he is in the hospital?
7. Why does Carlos strike Amado with a pan?
8. What seems to be Carlos' reaction to serious problems?
9. Why does Claro tell Carlos that he must leave Stockton immediately?
10. How does Amado react to being hit with the pan by Carlos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay discussing the differences in class explained throughout the book and relate that to class system in America during the same time period.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how this novel may have been written significantly differently if it had been written from a different viewpoint. Explain why and how these differences might occur.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in the life of a Filipino immigrant during this time frame. Use examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)