|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the doctors put Carlos' leg in a cast?
2. What does Macario tell Carlos he can do?
3. In what city does Carlos meet Claro?
4. Why are Macario, Nick and Felix going to Spain?
5. To whom does Carlos want to show his book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the crew leader's story in San Fernando.
2. Where are Carlos and Macario when the police search them?
3. How does Amado react to being hit with the pan by Carlos?
4. What seems to be Carlos' reaction to serious problems?
5. What does Carlos hope will come from the meeting he and Jose call?
6. Why is Carlos denied the transfer?
7. What does Carlos continue to do for Ganzo?
8. What does Carlos do once he hears that Pearl Harbor has been attacked?
9. What is Carlos doing when he decides that no one will destroy his faith in America?
10. What does Amado give to Carlos as he goes to join the Navy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay distinguishing between Carlos and his brothers as immigrants. Use specific examples from the novel to support your writing.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how this novel may have been written significantly differently if it had been written from a different viewpoint. Explain why and how these differences might occur.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the sacrifices the peasants in the Philippines in the 1940's make to ensure their children receive an education. Compare this to current American society's sacrifices for education.
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)