|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Ann Dozier direct Jose and Carlos?
2. What does Macario tell Carlos he can do?
3. Which of the following would have been taught in one of Carlos' classes?
4. Where does Carlos head after leaving Stockton?
5. Where is Carlos' work beginning to get published?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Rios, Lacson and Dozier begin to convert the CPFR chapters into the Communist Party?
2. How long does the relationship between Carlos and Eileen last?
3. How does Carlos feel after meeting with the Filipino communist?
4. Why is Carlos afraid to leave the hospital?
5. Describe the crew leader's story in San Fernando.
6. What seems to be Carlos' reaction to serious problems?
7. What does Carlos hope will come from the meeting he and Jose call?
8. Why does Carlos spend time with the San Fernando crew leader's wife?
9. Why is Carlos afraid he is dying?
10. What happens when Carlos shows his published book to Amado at the bar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how illness and a time frame on life affect Carlos. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how this novel may have been written significantly differently if it had been written from a different viewpoint. Explain why and how these differences might occur.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing a typical day in the life of the peasants. Include an evaluation as to this type of life style compared to your own. Be sure to include specific examples from the text to support your writing.
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)