|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is able to obtain a visa to go to Spain?
2. What is the first victory the Filipinos win in their battle for civil rights?
3. What does Macario tell Carlos?
4. What do Carlos, Jose and Macario find themselves in the middle of at the bar?
5. Where does Carlos go to talk to Nick?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long does the relationship between Carlos and Eileen last?
2. What seems to be Carlos' reaction to serious problems?
3. What does Carlos do once he hears that Pearl Harbor has been attacked?
4. What does Carlos find out his friends and his brother, Macario?
5. Why does Carlos strike Amado with a pan?
6. What is Carlos doing when he decides that no one will destroy his faith in America?
7. In Macario's absence, what happens to Carlos and Eileen?
8. Why is Carlos denied the transfer?
9. Why does Carlos hate the middle and upper classes?
10. What does Carlos hope will come from the meeting he and Jose call?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining to someone who may have not read this novel, why it is important for the peasants of the Philippines to have land. Include in your essay reasons why and what might happen to those that do not have any land.
Essay Topic 2
Interpret Carlos' idea that his faith in America has been restored by explaining how and why he has come to this conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
Justify the decision of Amado and Macario to join the armed services to Carlos in an essay.
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)