|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are there not many workers in Bakersfield?
2. Why is Carlos losing interest in the fight?
3. How many people attend Carlos and Jose's meeting?
4. Which character does Carlos meet in San Pedro?
5. What does Carlos do to support the cause of citizenship for Filipinos?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carlos feel after meeting with the Filipino communist?
2. What does Carlos find out his friends and his brother, Macario?
3. Why does Carlos strike Amado with a pan?
4. Where does Ganzo find Carlos?
5. What is Carlos doing when he decides that no one will destroy his faith in America?
6. Why does Carlos hate the middle and upper classes?
7. What happens when Carlos shows his published book to Amado at the bar?
8. Why doesn't the editor of the magazine who wants to arrange for a scholarship for Carlos ever meet him?
9. Why is Carlos denied the transfer?
10. How long does the relationship between Carlos and Eileen last?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay discussing racial issues which are described throughout the novel. Make an evaluation as to the level of racial issues present during the time frame of the novel and present day.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the culture of the rural Philippines in the 1940's. Use examples from the text to support your description.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of physical disabilities in this novel. Include examples of how they are described and their impact on success for the characters.
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)