|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what has Carlos' faith been restored?
2. To whom does Ann Dozier direct Jose and Carlos?
3. Who does Carlos turn over the classes to when he leaves?
4. Which of the following characters had Carlos met many years ago?
5. Which of the following is the main reason many of the Filipinos want to fight in the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carlos do once he hears that Pearl Harbor has been attacked?
2. What is one reason that many of the Filipinos want to fight to free their country of birth?
3. Why is Carlos denied the transfer?
4. What does Carlos continue to do to pass the time while he is in the hospital?
5. Why does Claro tell Carlos that he must leave Stockton immediately?
6. What does Carlos find out his friends and his brother, Macario?
7. What does Amado give to Carlos as he goes to join the Navy?
8. Why do Macario and Nick not go to Spain?
9. Why does Carlos spend time with the San Fernando crew leader's wife?
10. What seems to be Carlos' reaction to serious problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay taking apart the role Carlos plays in the civil rights movement of the Filipino immigrants. Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Interpret Carlos' idea that his faith in America has been restored by explaining how and why he has come to this conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of physical disabilities in this novel. Include examples of how they are described and their impact on success for the characters.
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)