|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Carlos losing interest in the fight?
2. With whom does Jose want the CPFR to affiliate?
3. Where do Carlos and Macario move once they are evicted?
4. Why are Macario, Nick and Felix going to Spain?
5. From where does the leader's wife of the San Fernando crew recognize Carlos?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carlos feel after meeting with the Filipino communist?
2. What happens when Carlos shows his published book to Amado at the bar?
3. Why do Rios, Lacson and Dozier begin to convert the CPFR chapters into the Communist Party?
4. What does Carlos find out his friends and his brother, Macario?
5. In Macario's absence, what happens to Carlos and Eileen?
6. What does Carlos hope will come from the meeting he and Jose call?
7. Why does Carlos strike Amado with a pan?
8. Why is Carlos afraid he is dying?
9. Why do Macario and Nick not go to Spain?
10. What seems to be Carlos' reaction to serious problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how this novel may have been written significantly differently if it had been written from a different viewpoint. Explain why and how these differences might occur.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing a typical day in the life of the peasants. Include an evaluation as to this type of life style compared to your own. Be sure to include specific examples from the text to support your writing.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing racial issues which are described throughout the novel. Make an evaluation as to the level of racial issues present during the time frame of the novel and present day.
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)