|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Ronald and Carlos meet?
2. Who does Carlos turn over the classes to when he leaves?
3. Why is Carlos losing interest in the fight?
4. What does Macario tell Carlos he can do?
5. Who does Carlos live with after leaving the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Amado give to Carlos as he goes to join the Navy?
2. Where are Carlos and Macario when the police search them?
3. How does Amado react to being hit with the pan by Carlos?
4. Why doesn't the editor of the magazine who wants to arrange for a scholarship for Carlos ever meet him?
5. Where does Ganzo find Carlos?
6. Why is Carlos afraid he is dying?
7. How does Carlos feel about being portrayed in the newspaper as a Filipino communist?
8. How does Carlos feel after he realizes that no one will ever destroy his faith in America?
9. What seems to be Carlos' reaction to serious problems?
10. What happens when Carlos shows his published book to Amado at the bar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of physical disabilities in this novel. Include examples of how they are described and their impact on success for the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing the differences in class explained throughout the book and relate that to class system in America during the same time period.
Essay Topic 3
Interpret Carlos' idea that his faith in America has been restored by explaining how and why he has come to this conclusion.
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)