|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The boy who does not know how to write is from ________.
2. How does Carlos travel?
3. Which of the following is not true about the hospital as Carlos views it?
4. Which of the following is not included in what Macario leaves for Carlos?
5. How many Filipino contractors control about 3,000 Filipino workers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to be Carlos' reaction to serious problems?
2. Why is Carlos denied the transfer?
3. What does Amado think about Carlos?
4. What does Carlos do once he hears that Pearl Harbor has been attacked?
5. What does Carlos continue to do to pass the time while he is in the hospital?
6. What happens when Carlos shows his published book to Amado at the bar?
7. In Macario's absence, what happens to Carlos and Eileen?
8. How long does the relationship between Carlos and Eileen last?
9. How does Carlos feel after he realizes that no one will ever destroy his faith in America?
10. How does Carlos feel after meeting with the Filipino communist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining to someone who may have not read this novel, why it is important for the peasants of the Philippines to have land. Include in your essay reasons why and what might happen to those that do not have any land.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the sacrifices the peasants in the Philippines in the 1940's make to ensure their children receive an education. Compare this to current American society's sacrifices for education.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how this novel may have been written significantly differently if it had been written from a different viewpoint. Explain why and how these differences might occur.
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)