|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom has Carlos drawn closer?
2. Why are Macario, Nick and Felix going to Spain?
3. What does Carlos start as he moves around?
4. Which of the following is the title of Carlos' first published book?
5. What promise does Amado make to Carlos?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Macario and Nick not go to Spain?
2. Where are Carlos and Macario when the police search them?
3. Why does Claro tell Carlos that he must leave Stockton immediately?
4. Describe the crew leader's story in San Fernando.
5. How does Carlos feel after meeting with the Filipino communist?
6. Why is Carlos afraid to leave the hospital?
7. What does Carlos find out his friends and his brother, Macario?
8. How does Amado react to being hit with the pan by Carlos?
9. Why does Carlos spend time with the San Fernando crew leader's wife?
10. Why does Carlos strike Amado with a pan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay discussing the differences in class explained throughout the book and relate that to class system in America during the same time period.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how this novel may have been written significantly differently if it had been written from a different viewpoint. Explain why and how these differences might occur.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the mobile nature of the immigrants during the time frame of this novel. Compare it to today's mobile society. Use examples from the novel to support your essay.
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)