|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Carlos evicted?
2. Which of the following best describes who has taken over the CPRF and labor organizations?
3. What do the police do that upsets Carlos?
4. What does the boy from a different ward ask Carlos to do for him?
5. How many people attend Carlos and Jose's meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carlos find out his friends and his brother, Macario?
2. What seems to be Carlos' reaction to serious problems?
3. What does Amado think about Carlos?
4. What does Carlos hope will come from the meeting he and Jose call?
5. Why is Carlos afraid to leave the hospital?
6. What does Carlos continue to do for Ganzo?
7. Why is Carlos denied the transfer?
8. How does Carlos feel about being portrayed in the newspaper as a Filipino communist?
9. Why does Carlos hate the middle and upper classes?
10. Describe the crew leader's story in San Fernando.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Formulate a plan for Carlos in an essay to continue living his life and battling the prejudices he faces now that his brothers have left for military service.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing the differences in class explained throughout the book and relate that to class system in America during the same time period.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining to someone who may have not read this novel, why it is important for the peasants of the Philippines to have land. Include in your essay reasons why and what might happen to those that do not have any land.
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)