|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Amado make to Carlos?
2. The boy who does not know how to write is from ________.
3. Which president signs the special proclamation allowing Filipinos to fight in the armed forces?
4. Which of the following is not included in what Macario leaves for Carlos?
5. What does Carlos do when Macario becomes ill and needs money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carlos feel after he realizes that no one will ever destroy his faith in America?
2. Why do Macario and Nick not go to Spain?
3. How does Carlos feel after meeting with the Filipino communist?
4. What is Carlos doing when he decides that no one will destroy his faith in America?
5. Why is Carlos afraid to leave the hospital?
6. Where does Ganzo find Carlos?
7. Why is Carlos denied the transfer?
8. What does Carlos continue to do to pass the time while he is in the hospital?
9. What does Amado give to Carlos as he goes to join the Navy?
10. What does Carlos find out his friends and his brother, Macario?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Formulate a plan for Carlos in an essay to continue living his life and battling the prejudices he faces now that his brothers have left for military service.
Essay Topic 2
Elaborate on Carlos' idea that he belongs in America in an essay using specific examples and supporting details from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the social conditions Carlos faces throughout the text. Make evaluations and judgments about his reaction to the conditions. Use specific examples from the novel to support your position and statements.
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)