Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marian want Carlos to do?
2. Where does Lucille move the newspaper after Pascual dies?
3. What happens when the strikers try to prevent the transport of the produce?
4. What happens when the Filipino workers strike?
5. What does Carlos find his mother doing when he finally finds her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carlos convince Amado that he is indeed his brother?
2. Why is Carlos fired from his job as a dishwasher?
3. What does Carlos continue to do to pass the time while he is in the hospital?
4. Why is Jose arrested?
5. What happens to Carlos as he tries to help the girl who is being assaulted?
6. What is Carlos doing when he decides that no one will destroy his faith in America?
7. Why do Macario and Nick not go to Spain?
8. Why does Carlos strike Amado with a pan?
9. Why does Claro tell Carlos that he must leave Stockton immediately?
10. What does Amado think about Carlos?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the social conditions Carlos faces throughout the text. Make evaluations and judgments about his reaction to the conditions. Use specific examples from the novel to support your position and statements.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining to someone who may have not read this novel, why it is important for the peasants of the Philippines to have land. Include in your essay reasons why and what might happen to those that do not have any land.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing racial issues which are described throughout the novel. Make an evaluation as to the level of racial issues present during the time frame of the novel and present day.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)