|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who returns to the family and helps make the next loan payment?
2. What happens during the meeting the Filipino Workers' Association holds outside of the town limits?
3. What happens when the strikers try to prevent the transport of the produce?
4. At what grade level does Amado's education end?
5. Where does Carlos' cousin live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miss Strandon arrange for Carlos' job at the library?
2. What revelation about his English skills does Carlos undergo in Chapter twenty-three?
3. What does Macario vow to Carlos?
4. Why is Jose arrested?
5. What event makes Carlos' desire to be a doctor more concrete for him?
6. Why doesn't Carlos' father think the stranger walking toward their home could be his son, Leon?
7. Why does Carlos want to go to California?
8. What incident occurs which makes Carlos leave Montana and again jump around from state to state?
9. What does Macario do once he graduates high school and returns to Binalonan?
10. What goal do Felix, Nick and Carlos have in publishing the magazine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the sacrifices the peasants in the Philippines in the 1940's make to ensure their children receive an education. Compare this to current American society's sacrifices for education.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast life for Carlos with that of his brother Amado.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Carlos' main method of dealing with problems. Make an evaluation as to the effectiveness of this method and support your evaluation with examples from the novel.
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)