Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marian want Carlos to do?
2. Where does Lucille move the newspaper after Pascual dies?
3. What happens when the strikers try to prevent the transport of the produce?
4. What happens when the Filipino workers strike?
5. What does Carlos find his mother doing when he finally finds her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carlos convince Amado that he is indeed his brother?
2. Why is Carlos fired from his job as a dishwasher?
3. What does Carlos continue to do to pass the time while he is in the hospital?
4. Why is Jose arrested?
5. What happens to Carlos as he tries to help the girl who is being assaulted?
6. What is Carlos doing when he decides that no one will destroy his faith in America?
7. Why do Macario and Nick not go to Spain?
8. Why does Carlos strike Amado with a pan?
9. Why does Claro tell Carlos that he must leave Stockton immediately?
10. What does Amado think about Carlos?
Essay Topic 1
Elaborate on Carlos' idea that he belongs in America in an essay using specific examples and supporting details from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the mobile nature of the immigrants during the time frame of this novel. Compare it to today's mobile society. Use examples from the novel to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing racial issues which are described throughout the novel. Make an evaluation as to the level of racial issues present during the time frame of the novel and present day.
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)