|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Carlos learn how to get around on the trains?
2. Why does Carlos move back to California?
3. Where does Carlos find Jose?
4. Where does Carlos' cousin live?
5. Why does Carlos have to stay home during the rainy season?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Alonzo?
2. Why is Carlos fired from his job as a dishwasher?
3. Why are there more and more peasant uprisings?
4. What incident occurs which makes Carlos leave Montana and again jump around from state to state?
5. What must Carlos take before he can board the boat to America?
6. What event makes Carlos' desire to be a doctor more concrete for him?
7. What happens to Carlos as he tries to help the girl who is being assaulted?
8. Why are many different people arriving in the city, Linagayen, as Carlos arrives there?
9. Why does Carlos want to go to California?
10. What does Macario do once he graduates high school and returns to Binalonan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay taking apart the role Carlos plays in the civil rights movement of the Filipino immigrants. Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing the differences in class explained throughout the book and relate that to class system in America during the same time period.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how illness and a time frame on life affect Carlos. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)