|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Carlos and Luciano earn money to open a small store?
2. What does Carlos find his mother doing when he finally finds her?
3. What causes the strike to gain momentum?
4. What is the name of the woman married to Pascual who helps to run the newspaper?
5. Why does Macario not want to marry the girl who has moved in with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Carlos' father think the stranger walking toward their home could be his son, Leon?
2. What does Macario vow to Carlos?
3. How do Carlos and Marcelo lose their money?
4. What profession does Carlos now wish to follow as he leaves with his cousin?
5. What incident occurs which makes Carlos leave Montana and again jump around from state to state?
6. What does Carlos call the turning point in his life?
7. Why does Miss Strandon arrange for Carlos' job at the library?
8. What must Carlos take before he can board the boat to America?
9. Why do the other roommates tell Macario that there is no use in going to look for a job?
10. Why does Carlos leave the homeless shelter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interpret Carlos' idea that his faith in America has been restored by explaining how and why he has come to this conclusion.
Essay Topic 2
Justify the decision of Amado and Macario to join the armed services to Carlos in an essay.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast life for Carlos with that of his brother Amado.
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)