|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of job does Macario find?
2. What happens to Carlos as he tries to obtain a job?
3. Alfredo is friendly with __________.
4. What does Carlos find his mother doing when he finally finds her?
5. With whom is Nick running a literary magazine in Los Angeles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Carlos as he tries to help the girl who is being assaulted?
2. What do Felix, Nick and Carlos decide they must work on to improve?
3. How do Carlos and Marcelo lose their money?
4. Why do the other roommates tell Macario that there is no use in going to look for a job?
5. What does Carlos call the turning point in his life?
6. Why are the characters so rushed to finish the harvest?
7. Why are there more and more peasant uprisings?
8. What incident occurs which makes Carlos leave Montana and again jump around from state to state?
9. What does Macario do once he graduates high school and returns to Binalonan?
10. Why is Carlos fired from his job as a dishwasher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining to someone who may have not read this novel, why it is important for the peasants of the Philippines to have land. Include in your essay reasons why and what might happen to those that do not have any land.
Essay Topic 2
Justify the decision of Amado and Macario to join the armed services to Carlos in an essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the sacrifices the peasants in the Philippines in the 1940's make to ensure their children receive an education. Compare this to current American society's sacrifices for education.
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)