|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what disease is Carlos diagnosed?
2. What work does Carlos get in Moxee City?
3. What does Juan Cablaan give Carlos?
4. What happens to Carlos as he tries to obtain a job?
5. When does Claro say Carlos should return to Stockton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carlos call the turning point in his life?
2. Why is Jose arrested?
3. Why are the characters so rushed to finish the harvest?
4. Why are many different people arriving in the city, Linagayen, as Carlos arrives there?
5. Why does Marian give Carlos several hundred dollars?
6. Why does Carlos want to go to California?
7. Why does Carlos leave the homeless shelter?
8. What happens to Alonzo?
9. What do Felix, Nick and Carlos decide they must work on to improve?
10. How do Carlos and Marcelo lose their money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of physical disabilities in this novel. Include examples of how they are described and their impact on success for the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how this novel may have been written significantly differently if it had been written from a different viewpoint. Explain why and how these differences might occur.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay distinguishing between Carlos and his brothers as immigrants. Use specific examples from the novel to support your writing.
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)