|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Carlos earn money while he is living with his cousin?
2. What happens to Carlos as he tries to obtain a job?
3. Where is Carlos told to go to look for his brother?
4. What does Marian want Carlos to do?
5. What happens when the Filipino workers strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Carlos shows his published book to Amado at the bar?
2. Why does Carlos strike Amado with a pan?
3. What does Carlos do once he hears that Pearl Harbor has been attacked?
4. Why is Carlos afraid to leave the hospital?
5. What does Amado think about Carlos?
6. How does Carlos feel after he realizes that no one will ever destroy his faith in America?
7. What does Carlos continue to do for Ganzo?
8. Why does Carlos leave the homeless shelter?
9. How does Amado react to being hit with the pan by Carlos?
10. Where are Carlos and Macario when the police search them?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in the life of a Filipino immigrant during this time frame. Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the mobile nature of the immigrants during the time frame of this novel. Compare it to today's mobile society. Use examples from the novel to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the social conditions Carlos faces throughout the text. Make evaluations and judgments about his reaction to the conditions. Use specific examples from the novel to support your position and statements.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)