|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what grade level does Amado's education end?
2. When does Claro say Carlos should return to Stockton?
3. Which world event intensifies the hatred against Filipinos?
4. Why do Julio and Carlos flee the orchard?
5. What does Marian want Carlos to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Carlos and Marcelo lose their money?
2. What incident occurs which makes Carlos leave Montana and again jump around from state to state?
3. Why are many different people arriving in the city, Linagayen, as Carlos arrives there?
4. What does Carlos call the turning point in his life?
5. Why are there more and more peasant uprisings?
6. What must Carlos take before he can board the boat to America?
7. What goal do Felix, Nick and Carlos have in publishing the magazine?
8. What profession does Carlos now wish to follow as he leaves with his cousin?
9. What do Felix, Nick and Carlos decide they must work on to improve?
10. Why does Carlos leave the homeless shelter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing a typical day in the life of the peasants. Include an evaluation as to this type of life style compared to your own. Be sure to include specific examples from the text to support your writing.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing the differences in class explained throughout the book and relate that to class system in America during the same time period.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing racial issues which are described throughout the novel. Make an evaluation as to the level of racial issues present during the time frame of the novel and present day.
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)