|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Carlos' cousin live?
2. How long is Amado in prison?
3. How does Carlos learn of the death of his father?
4. Where is Carlos when he is arrested and put in jail?
5. At what age does Carlos leave home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Macario do once he graduates high school and returns to Binalonan?
2. Why does Carlos want to go to California?
3. What incident occurs which makes Carlos leave Montana and again jump around from state to state?
4. How do Carlos, Jose and Miller escape?
5. Why is Carlos fired from his job as a dishwasher?
6. How does Carlos convince Amado that he is indeed his brother?
7. Why do the striking workers organize their own patrols?
8. How do Carlos and Marcelo lose their money?
9. What does Macario vow to Carlos?
10. Why does the family have to close the store that Luciano and Carlos opened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in the life of a Filipino immigrant during this time frame. Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the culture of the rural Philippines in the 1940's. Use examples from the text to support your description.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of physical disabilities in this novel. Include examples of how they are described and their impact on success for the characters.
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)