|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the group that lives together in the Hope Street apartment try to pay their rent?
2. Which of the following is a skill Luciano learns in the service which makes him employable?
3. Which of the following terms means lending of money at an extremely high interest rate?
4. What causes the strike to gain momentum?
5. Where is Carlos told to go to look for his brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Macario vow to Carlos?
2. What happens to Carlos as he tries to help the girl who is being assaulted?
3. Why is Jose arrested?
4. What goal do Felix, Nick and Carlos have in publishing the magazine?
5. Why does Macario lose his job?
6. What incident occurs which makes Carlos leave Montana and again jump around from state to state?
7. How does Carlos convince Amado that he is indeed his brother?
8. Why does Carlos leave the homeless shelter?
9. What does Carlos do with the money he earns?
10. Why is Carlos fired from his job as a dishwasher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how this novel may have been written significantly differently if it had been written from a different viewpoint. Explain why and how these differences might occur.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the mobile nature of the immigrants during the time frame of this novel. Compare it to today's mobile society. Use examples from the novel to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Interpret Carlos' idea that his faith in America has been restored by explaining how and why he has come to this conclusion.
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)