|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the younger generation in the Philippines want?
2. How does Carlos learn how to get around on the trains?
3. What happens to Carlos and his mother on the way home from Puxzzorobio?
4. To what organization does the Philippine Scouts belong?
5. What do five white men do to Jose and Carlos?
Short Essay Questions
1. What must Carlos take before he can board the boat to America?
2. Why is Jose arrested?
3. What do Felix, Nick and Carlos decide they must work on to improve?
4. Why does Carlos want to go to California?
5. Why does the family have to close the store that Luciano and Carlos opened?
6. Why does Marian give Carlos several hundred dollars?
7. What happens to Carlos as he tries to help the girl who is being assaulted?
8. What does Carlos do with the money he earns?
9. Why does Macario lose his job?
10. What does Macario do once he graduates high school and returns to Binalonan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of physical disabilities in this novel. Include examples of how they are described and their impact on success for the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in the life of a Filipino immigrant during this time frame. Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast life for Carlos with that of his brother Amado.
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)