|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Carlos' cousin show him how to meet girls?
2. What happens to Carlos as he tries to obtain a job?
3. Of what nationality is the woman who owns the restaurant where Carlos hangs out?
4. Who tells Carlos to head to Stockton?
5. Which of the following characters keeps a roof over everyone's head by selling tickets at a dance hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the characters so rushed to finish the harvest?
2. Why are there more and more peasant uprisings?
3. Why does the family have to close the store that Luciano and Carlos opened?
4. How does Carlos convince Amado that he is indeed his brother?
5. What does Macario vow to Carlos?
6. Why do the striking workers organize their own patrols?
7. How do Carlos, Jose and Miller escape?
8. What profession does Carlos now wish to follow as he leaves with his cousin?
9. Why does Carlos want to go to California?
10. What revelation about his English skills does Carlos undergo in Chapter twenty-three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the mobile nature of the immigrants during the time frame of this novel. Compare it to today's mobile society. Use examples from the novel to support your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in the life of a Filipino immigrant during this time frame. Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing the differences in class explained throughout the book and relate that to class system in America during the same time period.
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)