|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the strikers try to prevent the transport of the produce?
2. What traditionally happens when a new presidente (mayor) is elected in a city?
3. Where does Lucille move the newspaper after Pascual dies?
4. Which of the following terms means lending of money at an extremely high interest rate?
5. Why does Macario not want to marry the girl who has moved in with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Macario lose his job?
2. What profession does Carlos now wish to follow as he leaves with his cousin?
3. Why does Carlos leave the homeless shelter?
4. How do Carlos, Jose and Miller escape?
5. What incident occurs which makes Carlos leave Montana and again jump around from state to state?
6. What does Macario do once he graduates high school and returns to Binalonan?
7. Why are there more and more peasant uprisings?
8. What do Felix, Nick and Carlos decide they must work on to improve?
9. What revelation about his English skills does Carlos undergo in Chapter twenty-three?
10. Why does Marian give Carlos several hundred dollars?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the mobile nature of the immigrants during the time frame of this novel. Compare it to today's mobile society. Use examples from the novel to support your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing a typical day in the life of the peasants. Include an evaluation as to this type of life style compared to your own. Be sure to include specific examples from the text to support your writing.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in the life of a Filipino immigrant during this time frame. Use examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)