|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a skill Luciano learns in the service which makes him employable?
2. How do Carlos and Luciano earn money to open a small store?
3. Who tells Carlos to head to Stockton?
4. Where do Carlos and Jose find Miller?
5. What kind of job does Macario find?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carlos strike Amado with a pan?
2. Why does Carlos leave the homeless shelter?
3. Why are there more and more peasant uprisings?
4. Why do Macario and Nick not go to Spain?
5. How does Carlos feel after meeting with the Filipino communist?
6. How does Carlos feel about being portrayed in the newspaper as a Filipino communist?
7. Why does Miss Strandon arrange for Carlos' job at the library?
8. How do Carlos and Marcelo lose their money?
9. How does Carlos feel after he realizes that no one will ever destroy his faith in America?
10. What incident occurs which makes Carlos leave Montana and again jump around from state to state?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining to someone who may have not read this novel, why it is important for the peasants of the Philippines to have land. Include in your essay reasons why and what might happen to those that do not have any land.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how illness and a time frame on life affect Carlos. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing the differences in class explained throughout the book and relate that to class system in America during the same time period.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)