|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not an accurate description of how Carlos feels on the journey to America?
2. Who cares for Carlos' father in his illness?
3. How does Carlos know that a revolt is about to begin?
4. How does Carlos learn of the death of his father?
5. Which of the following does not accurately describe Marian's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What must Carlos take before he can board the boat to America?
2. Why doesn't Carlos' father think the stranger walking toward their home could be his son, Leon?
3. What does Macario do once he graduates high school and returns to Binalonan?
4. Why does Marian give Carlos several hundred dollars?
5. What event makes Carlos' desire to be a doctor more concrete for him?
6. What does Carlos do with the money he earns?
7. Why is Jose arrested?
8. Why does Carlos leave the homeless shelter?
9. What does Carlos call the turning point in his life?
10. What does Macario vow to Carlos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elaborate on Carlos' idea that he belongs in America in an essay using specific examples and supporting details from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Interpret Carlos' idea that his faith in America has been restored by explaining how and why he has come to this conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of physical disabilities in this novel. Include examples of how they are described and their impact on success for the characters.
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)