|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following are a part of Carlos' duties at the newspaper after Pascual gets sick?
2. What develops in Carlos as a direct result of his family losing its land?
3. What job must Carlos father take on after he realizes he has no land?
4. For what amount are Carlos and his friend Marcelo sold?
5. How does Carlos know that a revolt is about to begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are many different people arriving in the city, Linagayen, as Carlos arrives there?
2. What must Carlos take before he can board the boat to America?
3. What goal do Felix, Nick and Carlos have in publishing the magazine?
4. What happens to Alonzo?
5. Why is Carlos fired from his job as a dishwasher?
6. Why is Jose arrested?
7. What does Macario vow to Carlos?
8. What event makes Carlos' desire to be a doctor more concrete for him?
9. Why does the family have to close the store that Luciano and Carlos opened?
10. Why are there more and more peasant uprisings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing a typical day in the life of the peasants. Include an evaluation as to this type of life style compared to your own. Be sure to include specific examples from the text to support your writing.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing racial issues which are described throughout the novel. Make an evaluation as to the level of racial issues present during the time frame of the novel and present day.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how illness and a time frame on life affect Carlos. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)