|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who returns to the family and helps make the next loan payment?
2. What does Carlos' family call him?
3. What does Macario think the family should sell so that he can finish his last three months of school?
4. What happens to all of the family's animals and land?
5. What book does Macario read to Carlos?
Short Essay Questions
1. What goal do Felix, Nick and Carlos have in publishing the magazine?
2. Why do the other roommates tell Macario that there is no use in going to look for a job?
3. Why do the striking workers organize their own patrols?
4. Why are the characters so rushed to finish the harvest?
5. Why does Carlos want to go to California?
6. What does Macario vow to Carlos?
7. Why does Marian give Carlos several hundred dollars?
8. What must Carlos take before he can board the boat to America?
9. What does Macario do once he graduates high school and returns to Binalonan?
10. Why does the family have to close the store that Luciano and Carlos opened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing a typical day in the life of the peasants. Include an evaluation as to this type of life style compared to your own. Be sure to include specific examples from the text to support your writing.
Essay Topic 2
Formulate a plan for Carlos in an essay to continue living his life and battling the prejudices he faces now that his brothers have left for military service.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the social conditions Carlos faces throughout the text. Make evaluations and judgments about his reaction to the conditions. Use specific examples from the novel to support your position and statements.
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)