|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following terms means lending of money at an extremely high interest rate?
2. How old is Carlos when his brother leaves to fight in the war?
3. To what organization does the Philippine Scouts belong?
4. On what does the family spend all of its money?
5. Where does Carlos' father go to try to retrieve his land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Alonzo?
2. What happens to Carlos as he tries to help the girl who is being assaulted?
3. Why is Jose arrested?
4. Why does Carlos leave the homeless shelter?
5. What revelation about his English skills does Carlos undergo in Chapter twenty-three?
6. Why does Macario lose his job?
7. Why are the characters so rushed to finish the harvest?
8. Why do the other roommates tell Macario that there is no use in going to look for a job?
9. Why does the family have to close the store that Luciano and Carlos opened?
10. What goal do Felix, Nick and Carlos have in publishing the magazine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how this novel may have been written significantly differently if it had been written from a different viewpoint. Explain why and how these differences might occur.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in the life of a Filipino immigrant during this time frame. Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Formulate a plan for Carlos in an essay to continue living his life and battling the prejudices he faces now that his brothers have left for military service.
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)