|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crop does Carlos help harvest at the end of cauliflower season?
2. On what does the family spend all of its money?
3. What is Pascual's profession in addition to running the small newspaper?
4. Where is Carlos told to go to look for his brother?
5. How long is Amado in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Macario lose his job?
2. Why do the other roommates tell Macario that there is no use in going to look for a job?
3. What event makes Carlos' desire to be a doctor more concrete for him?
4. What incident occurs which makes Carlos leave Montana and again jump around from state to state?
5. What do Felix, Nick and Carlos decide they must work on to improve?
6. Why does Carlos want to go to California?
7. What does Macario do once he graduates high school and returns to Binalonan?
8. How do Carlos, Jose and Miller escape?
9. Why does Carlos leave the homeless shelter?
10. What goal do Felix, Nick and Carlos have in publishing the magazine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Justify the decision of Amado and Macario to join the armed services to Carlos in an essay.
Essay Topic 2
Formulate a plan for Carlos in an essay to continue living his life and battling the prejudices he faces now that his brothers have left for military service.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay taking apart the role Carlos plays in the civil rights movement of the Filipino immigrants. Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)