|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to all of the family's animals and land?
2. Which world event intensifies the hatred against Filipinos?
3. What does Macario think the family should sell so that he can finish his last three months of school?
4. Where does Carlos end up after he gets on the second train with the girl?
5. What work do Amado and his friend Alfredo do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the family have to close the store that Luciano and Carlos opened?
2. Why does Carlos want to go to California?
3. What does Macario do once he graduates high school and returns to Binalonan?
4. Why does Carlos leave the homeless shelter?
5. Why do the other roommates tell Macario that there is no use in going to look for a job?
6. How do Carlos and Marcelo lose their money?
7. Why does Marian give Carlos several hundred dollars?
8. What does Carlos call the turning point in his life?
9. What must Carlos take before he can board the boat to America?
10. What event makes Carlos' desire to be a doctor more concrete for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay discussing racial issues which are described throughout the novel. Make an evaluation as to the level of racial issues present during the time frame of the novel and present day.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how illness and a time frame on life affect Carlos. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in the life of a Filipino immigrant during this time frame. Use examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)