|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what disease is Carlos diagnosed?
2. How does Carlos earn money while he is living with his cousin?
3. From what disease does Marian die?
4. How does the group that lives together in the Hope Street apartment try to pay their rent?
5. What book does Macario read to Carlos?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Alonzo?
2. Why does the family have to close the store that Luciano and Carlos opened?
3. Why are there more and more peasant uprisings?
4. Why do the striking workers organize their own patrols?
5. What does Carlos do with the money he earns?
6. What event makes Carlos' desire to be a doctor more concrete for him?
7. What does Carlos call the turning point in his life?
8. Why does Miss Strandon arrange for Carlos' job at the library?
9. What must Carlos take before he can board the boat to America?
10. What incident occurs which makes Carlos leave Montana and again jump around from state to state?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay distinguishing between Carlos and his brothers as immigrants. Use specific examples from the novel to support your writing.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the sacrifices the peasants in the Philippines in the 1940's make to ensure their children receive an education. Compare this to current American society's sacrifices for education.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay taking apart the role Carlos plays in the civil rights movement of the Filipino immigrants. Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)