|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What business did Alfredo want Carlos to enter?
2. With whom is Nick running a literary magazine in Los Angeles?
3. Which of the following is a skill Luciano learns in the service which makes him employable?
4. Alfredo is friendly with __________.
5. Which of the following are a part of Carlos' duties at the newspaper after Pascual gets sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Carlos afraid he is dying?
2. What incident occurs which makes Carlos leave Montana and again jump around from state to state?
3. What does Carlos continue to do to pass the time while he is in the hospital?
4. What does Carlos find out his friends and his brother, Macario?
5. What does Macario vow to Carlos?
6. In Macario's absence, what happens to Carlos and Eileen?
7. What does Amado think about Carlos?
8. Why does Macario lose his job?
9. Why is Jose arrested?
10. Why does Carlos leave the homeless shelter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Justify the decision of Amado and Macario to join the armed services to Carlos in an essay.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of physical disabilities in this novel. Include examples of how they are described and their impact on success for the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how this novel may have been written significantly differently if it had been written from a different viewpoint. Explain why and how these differences might occur.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)