|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not an accurate description of how Carlos feels on the journey to America?
2. Which character gets a girl in trouble and has to leave town?
3. What is Pascual's final wish?
4. Where does Miss Strandon arrange for Carlos to have a job?
5. What traditionally happens when a new presidente (mayor) is elected in a city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carlos do with the money he earns?
2. What revelation about his English skills does Carlos undergo in Chapter twenty-three?
3. What event makes Carlos' desire to be a doctor more concrete for him?
4. What does Macario do once he graduates high school and returns to Binalonan?
5. How does Carlos convince Amado that he is indeed his brother?
6. What do Felix, Nick and Carlos decide they must work on to improve?
7. Why does Marian give Carlos several hundred dollars?
8. What goal do Felix, Nick and Carlos have in publishing the magazine?
9. What does Macario vow to Carlos?
10. What profession does Carlos now wish to follow as he leaves with his cousin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in the life of a Filipino immigrant during this time frame. Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing a typical day in the life of the peasants. Include an evaluation as to this type of life style compared to your own. Be sure to include specific examples from the text to support your writing.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing the differences in class explained throughout the book and relate that to class system in America during the same time period.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)