|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work do Amado and his friend Alfredo do?
2. At what grade level does Amado's education end?
3. How does the group that lives together in the Hope Street apartment try to pay their rent?
4. What is Pascual's profession in addition to running the small newspaper?
5. Who is Mariano?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carlos convince Amado that he is indeed his brother?
2. How long does the relationship between Carlos and Eileen last?
3. What incident occurs which makes Carlos leave Montana and again jump around from state to state?
4. Why does Miss Strandon arrange for Carlos' job at the library?
5. Why doesn't Carlos' father think the stranger walking toward their home could be his son, Leon?
6. What do Felix, Nick and Carlos decide they must work on to improve?
7. Why does Carlos leave the homeless shelter?
8. What does Carlos continue to do to pass the time while he is in the hospital?
9. Why do the striking workers organize their own patrols?
10. Why are the characters so rushed to finish the harvest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing a typical day in the life of the peasants. Include an evaluation as to this type of life style compared to your own. Be sure to include specific examples from the text to support your writing.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing racial issues which are described throughout the novel. Make an evaluation as to the level of racial issues present during the time frame of the novel and present day.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing the differences in class explained throughout the book and relate that to class system in America during the same time period.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)