|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marian want Carlos to do?
2. Where does Lucille move the newspaper after Pascual dies?
3. What happens when the strikers try to prevent the transport of the produce?
4. What happens when the Filipino workers strike?
5. What does Carlos find his mother doing when he finally finds her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carlos convince Amado that he is indeed his brother?
2. Why is Carlos fired from his job as a dishwasher?
3. What does Carlos continue to do to pass the time while he is in the hospital?
4. Why is Jose arrested?
5. What happens to Carlos as he tries to help the girl who is being assaulted?
6. What is Carlos doing when he decides that no one will destroy his faith in America?
7. Why do Macario and Nick not go to Spain?
8. Why does Carlos strike Amado with a pan?
9. Why does Claro tell Carlos that he must leave Stockton immediately?
10. What does Amado think about Carlos?
Essay Topic 1
Justify the decision of Amado and Macario to join the armed services to Carlos in an essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the culture of the rural Philippines in the 1940's. Use examples from the text to support your description.
Essay Topic 3
Formulate a plan for Carlos in an essay to continue living his life and battling the prejudices he faces now that his brothers have left for military service.
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)