|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Carlos' father go to try to retrieve his land?
(a) Absentee landlord
(d) His son
2. Where do Carlos and Jose find Miller?
(a) In secret meetings with the agricultural interests
(b) On the floor of a car
(c) With Helen
(d) Tied to a tree
3. Why do Julio and Carlos flee the orchard?
(a) They are tired of working hard
(b) They want to find Carlos's brothers
(c) The crew leader stole their paychecks
(d) A group appears and starts shooting at everyone
4. What does Marian want Carlos to do?
(a) Take care of her
(b) Take care of Ganzo
(c) Go to school
(d) Start a union
5. Who cares for Carlos' father in his illness?
(b) Francisca, the six-year-old
(c) His brothers
(d) His mother
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Macario not want to marry the girl who has moved in with him?
2. What happens to Carlos as he tries to obtain a job?
3. How does Carlos know that a revolt is about to begin?
4. With whom is Nick running a literary magazine in Los Angeles?
5. What does the younger generation in the Philippines want?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the characters so rushed to finish the harvest?
2. Why does Marian give Carlos several hundred dollars?
3. How do Carlos and Marcelo lose their money?
4. Why does Carlos want to go to California?
5. Why do the other roommates tell Macario that there is no use in going to look for a job?
6. Why does the family have to close the store that Luciano and Carlos opened?
7. Why is Carlos fired from his job as a dishwasher?
8. What profession does Carlos now wish to follow as he leaves with his cousin?
9. What must Carlos take before he can board the boat to America?
10. Why doesn't Carlos' father think the stranger walking toward their home could be his son, Leon?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)