|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carlos find one day as he walks home from school?
(a) His suitcase
(b) A schoolbook
(c) A baby
(d) A student credit paper from a teacher
2. Where does Miss Strandon arrange for Carlos to have a job?
(a) Pet store
(b) Doctor's office
3. On what does the family spend all of its money?
(a) New animals to help on the farm
(b) Food, clothes and health checkups
(c) Buying new hectares of land
(d) Macario's school expenses
4. What traditionally happens when a new presidente (mayor) is elected in a city?
(a) They are forced to leave their country and go to America
(b) The new mayor interviews all old employees and keeps only those that he likes
(c) All old employees are killed
(d) All old employees are fired
5. What does Macario think the family should sell so that he can finish his last three months of school?
(a) The church land
(b) Any food they grow
(c) All the land they have left or the house
(d) All of the animals they own
Short Answer Questions
1. Which world event intensifies the hatred against Filipinos?
2. Where is Carlos told to go to look for his brother?
3. How long is Amado in prison?
4. What happens when the strikers try to prevent the transport of the produce?
5. Where does Carlos' cousin live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carlos call the turning point in his life?
2. What profession does Carlos now wish to follow as he leaves with his cousin?
3. What does Macario vow to Carlos?
4. What happens to Carlos as he tries to help the girl who is being assaulted?
5. Why doesn't Carlos' father think the stranger walking toward their home could be his son, Leon?
6. Why does Macario lose his job?
7. Why does Miss Strandon arrange for Carlos' job at the library?
8. Why is Carlos fired from his job as a dishwasher?
9. What goal do Felix, Nick and Carlos have in publishing the magazine?
10. Why do the other roommates tell Macario that there is no use in going to look for a job?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)