|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Carlos when he is arrested and put in jail?
(a) Bus station
(c) Hotel in Seattle
(d) Homeless shelter
2. Who tells Carlos to head to Stockton?
(b) The girl who was assaulted
(d) The Chinese
3. What causes the strike to gain momentum?
(a) Pascaul's death
(b) The death threats
(c) Carlos' involvement
(d) Jose's involvement
4. Where does Carlos find Jose?
(b) Los Angeles
(c) San Francisco
(d) New Mexico
5. How does Carlos learn how to get around on the trains?
(a) Listening to passengers
(b) Watching hobos
(c) Hanging on to rods on the trains
(d) Following the lead of his brother
Short Answer Questions
1. At what grade level does Amado's education end?
2. What happens during the meeting the Filipino Workers' Association holds outside of the town limits?
3. Which of the following does not accurately describe Marian's life?
4. Which world event intensifies the hatred against Filipinos?
5. Which of the following characters keeps a roof over everyone's head by selling tickets at a dance hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carlos leave the homeless shelter?
2. What revelation about his English skills does Carlos undergo in Chapter twenty-three?
3. Why does Carlos want to go to California?
4. What incident occurs which makes Carlos leave Montana and again jump around from state to state?
5. What profession does Carlos now wish to follow as he leaves with his cousin?
6. How do Carlos and Marcelo lose their money?
7. What happens to Alonzo?
8. What does Carlos call the turning point in his life?
9. Why are many different people arriving in the city, Linagayen, as Carlos arrives there?
10. What must Carlos take before he can board the boat to America?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)