|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Carlos feel about returning to the city of his birth and the old family home?
(a) Unhappy with the death of his brother
(b) Happy he returns there
(c) Surprised by the developments in the city
(d) Regretful he returns there
2. How do Carlos and Luciano earn money to open a small store?
(a) They fix equipment and machinery
(b) They babysit children from the village
(c) They capture and sell parrots
(d) They bar-b-que birds and sell them
3. What traditionally happens when a new presidente (mayor) is elected in a city?
(a) The new mayor interviews all old employees and keeps only those that he likes
(b) All old employees are fired
(c) They are forced to leave their country and go to America
(d) All old employees are killed
4. How long is Amado in prison?
(a) 6 weeks
(b) 6 years
(c) 6 months
(d) 6 days
5. For what amount are Carlos and his friend Marcelo sold?
Short Answer Questions
1. Alfredo is friendly with __________.
2. What does Carlos find his mother doing when he finally finds her?
3. What work do Amado and his friend Alfredo do?
4. Where does Miss Strandon arrange for Carlos to have a job?
5. Which of the following is a gambling game?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miss Strandon arrange for Carlos' job at the library?
2. What does Amado think about Carlos?
3. How do Carlos and Marcelo lose their money?
4. What does Carlos call the turning point in his life?
5. Why doesn't Carlos' father think the stranger walking toward their home could be his son, Leon?
6. What does Macario do once he graduates high school and returns to Binalonan?
7. Why do the striking workers organize their own patrols?
8. Where are Carlos and Macario when the police search them?
9. What seems to be Carlos' reaction to serious problems?
10. Why does Carlos want to go to California?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)