|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Carlos learn how to get around on the trains?
(a) Listening to passengers
(b) Watching hobos
(c) Following the lead of his brother
(d) Hanging on to rods on the trains
2. What is Pascual's profession in addition to running the small newspaper?
(b) Restaurant manager
3. What does Carlos find his mother doing when he finally finds her?
(a) Selling beans
(c) Caring for his ill father
(d) Taking care of his siblings
4. What happens when the strikers try to prevent the transport of the produce?
(a) They are beaten and arrested by the police
(b) They are shot and killed by farmers
(c) The strike is broken
(d) They are run over by vehicles
5. To what organization does the Philippine Scouts belong?
(a) Future Farmers Coalition
(b) US Army
(c) International Cub Scouts
(d) Philippine Army
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the younger generation in the Philippines want?
2. What is the name of the literary magazine that Nick, Felix and Carlos print?
3. Where does Carlos end up after he gets on the second train with the girl?
4. Of what nationality is the woman who owns the restaurant where Carlos hangs out?
5. How does Carlos feel about returning to the city of his birth and the old family home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marian give Carlos several hundred dollars?
2. Why do the other roommates tell Macario that there is no use in going to look for a job?
3. What does Macario do once he graduates high school and returns to Binalonan?
4. What does Carlos do with the money he earns?
5. How does Carlos convince Amado that he is indeed his brother?
6. Why is Carlos fired from his job as a dishwasher?
7. What does Macario vow to Carlos?
8. How do Carlos, Jose and Miller escape?
9. Why does Carlos want to go to California?
10. Why does Miss Strandon arrange for Carlos' job at the library?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)