|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Carlos move back to California?
(a) To work in a milk factory
(b) To visit his brother in jail on weekends
(c) To rob a bank
(d) To stay away from Alfredo
2. What job must Carlos father take on after he realizes he has no land?
(a) Day laborer
3. Which of the following are a part of Carlos' duties at the newspaper after Pascual gets sick?
(a) Selling subscriptions
(b) Selling advertising
(c) Editorial duties
(d) Business manager duties
4. What is Pascual's final wish?
(a) To move toward socialism
(b) To have Carlos take over the newspaper
(c) To move to San Francisco
(d) To return to the Philippines
5. When does Claro say Carlos should return to Stockton?
(b) When he finds his brothers
(c) When he's ready to fight for his people
(d) When he has money to pay for his gambling
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Carlos told to go to look for his brother?
2. How old is Carlos when his brother leaves to fight in the war?
3. How does Carlos earn money while he is living with his cousin?
4. How does the group that lives together in the Hope Street apartment try to pay their rent?
5. What happens to Carlos as he tries to obtain a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Carlos fired from his job as a dishwasher?
2. What does Carlos call the turning point in his life?
3. What profession does Carlos now wish to follow as he leaves with his cousin?
4. How do Carlos, Jose and Miller escape?
5. What revelation about his English skills does Carlos undergo in Chapter twenty-three?
6. What does Macario vow to Carlos?
7. What goal do Felix, Nick and Carlos have in publishing the magazine?
8. What incident occurs which makes Carlos leave Montana and again jump around from state to state?
9. Why does Carlos leave the homeless shelter?
10. Why does Marian give Carlos several hundred dollars?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)