|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the people Carlos lives with decide to find a new place?
(a) Carlos has a stiff leg
(b) There is too much discrimination in their current place
(c) There are cheaper places with no stairs
(d) Macario has lost his job again
2. From where does the leader's wife of the San Fernando crew recognize Carlos?
(a) His published articles and poems
(b) The Philippines
(c) His time in the hospital
(d) His time in Seattle at the canneries
3. Where does Carlos find work?
(b) Los Angeles
(c) San Pedro
(d) San Francisco
4. How many operations does Carlos undergo?
5. Which of the following is not an accurate description of Macario in Chapter 44?
(a) Old looking
(d) Well enough to work
6. What good news does Carlos receive in regard to his writing?
(a) He will get a byline in Ganzo's newspaper
(b) A publisher wants to publish his book of poems
(c) A newspaper wants him to become a regular writer
(d) He will become a war correspondent
7. Why is Carlos losing interest in the fight?
(a) He is tired of fighting
(b) He is too ill to keep fighting
(c) He does not believe in Communism
(d) His brother is sick
8. What is the first victory the Filipinos win in their battle for civil rights?
(a) Proclamation allowing Filipinos to live in America without police involvement
(b) Proclamation allowing Filipinos to form labor unions
(c) Proclamation allowing Filipinos to fight in the armed forces
(d) Proclamation allowing Filipinos to become citizens
9. What does Macario tell Carlos he can do?
(a) Become a citizen
(b) Win the cause
(c) Be a writer
(d) Find their brother
10. What promise does Amado make to Carlos?
(a) He will never gamble again
(b) He will take care of Macario in Los Angeles
(c) He will continue Carlos's work and fight
(d) He will stay in Bakersfield if Carlos brings Macario there
11. With what task in the hospital does Carlos help?
(a) Reading to children who have tuberculosis
(b) Spending time working at the information desk
(d) Caring for other patients
12. How long should Macario be able to live on the money Carlos gives him?
(a) 2 months
(b) 2 years
(c) 2 weeks
(d) 2 days
13. What does Carlos want to do when he recovers?
(a) Return to the Philippines
(b) Join the labor movement again
(c) Find Marian
(d) Go to school
14. Which of the following characters is able to obtain a visa to go to Spain?
15. What do Carlos, Jose and Macario find themselves in the middle of at the bar?
(a) Police sting
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Carlos head?
2. Which of the following characters does Carlos meet on the return train trip to Los Angeles?
3. To whom has Carlos drawn closer?
4. Which of the following best describes Carlos' understanding of his illness and diagnosis?
5. Which of the following is not included in what Macario leaves for Carlos?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)