|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Carlos travel to Bakersfield?
(a) With Amado
(b) He walks
(c) Box car
(d) With Jose
2. Which of the following characters is not living in Carlos' apartment in Los Angeles?
3. Which president signs the special proclamation allowing Filipinos to fight in the armed forces?
4. What does Carlos not write?
(a) Sketches of life in America
(b) Full length novel
(d) Short stories
5. Who does the newspaper headline say is leading the strike?
(d) A Filipino communist
6. Which of the following is the main reason many of the Filipinos want to fight in the war?
(a) To show Americans they are worthy of citizenship
(b) To find their families
(c) To gain citizenship
(d) To free their country of birth
7. From where does the leader's wife of the San Fernando crew recognize Carlos?
(a) The Philippines
(b) His time in the hospital
(c) His time in Seattle at the canneries
(d) His published articles and poems
8. What is the name of the organization they develop out of the meeting?
(a) Protecting West Coast Filipinos
(b) Coalition for Protecting West Coast Filipinos
(c) West Coast Filipinos
(d) Committee for Protection of Filipino Rights
9. To whom has Carlos drawn closer?
10. What does Ganzo tell Carlos to keep doing?
(a) Hoping for citizenship
(c) Taking care of Macario
(d) Moving to different cities
11. How do Ronald and Carlos meet?
(a) A Jewish girl introduces them
(b) Ronald lends Carlos his magazine to read
(c) Carlos writes about Ronald
(d) Ronald writes about Carlos
12. What does Claro tell Carlos many years ago when they meet?
(a) Do not return to Stockton until ready to fight for their people
(b) To spend his time and energy doing good work for the Filipino people
(c) To return to the Philippines as soon as possible
(d) To never return to Stockton
13. What good news does Carlos receive in regard to his writing?
(a) A publisher wants to publish his book of poems
(b) He will become a war correspondent
(c) A newspaper wants him to become a regular writer
(d) He will get a byline in Ganzo's newspaper
14. In what has Carlos' faith been restored?
(b) Traditions and culture
(d) His family
15. Why do the doctors put Carlos' leg in a cast?
(a) Because it swells in the rainy season
(b) The tuberculosis
(c) So he does not leave the hospital
(d) It is hurt in the beating in San Jose
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Carlos' work beginning to get published?
2. Who begins visiting Carlos after Alice leaves?
3. Which of the following is not an accurate description of Macario in Chapter 44?
4. To whom does Ann Dozier direct Jose and Carlos?
5. What does the boy from a different ward ask Carlos to do for him?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)