|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not true about the hospital as Carlos views it?
(a) Great prejudice is present
(c) Has plenty of food
(d) A constant place to sleep
2. Who does the newspaper headline say is leading the strike?
(d) A Filipino communist
3. Which of the following is not included in what Macario leaves for Carlos?
(b) Picture of himself
(d) Social security card
4. Why are there not many workers in Bakersfield?
(a) Harvest is still months away
(b) They have been run out by thugs
(c) There are no crops in Bakersfield
(d) Mexican workers have taken over the work previously done by Filipinos
5. Why do the doctors put Carlos' leg in a cast?
(a) It is hurt in the beating in San Jose
(b) The tuberculosis
(c) Because it swells in the rainy season
(d) So he does not leave the hospital
6. In what has Carlos' faith been restored?
(b) His family
(d) Traditions and culture
7. Where does Carlos head?
(b) San Pedro
(d) San Francisco
8. What does Carlos write that is published?
(b) Short stories
(c) Stories about the Philippines
9. To whom has Carlos drawn closer?
10. What good news does Carlos receive in regard to his writing?
(a) A publisher wants to publish his book of poems
(b) He will get a byline in Ganzo's newspaper
(c) A newspaper wants him to become a regular writer
(d) He will become a war correspondent
11. Where does Carlos find Nick after he leaves Portland?
(a) Los Angeles
(d) San Jose
12. Which of the following characters is the contractor Carlos goes to see in Bakersfield?
13. What does Carlos start as he moves around?
(a) New newspapers
(b) New job opportunities for workers
(c) Worker's schools
(d) New organizations to get citizenship for Filipinos
14. Which of the following is not true about Carlos?
(a) He continues his relationship with Eileen
(b) He is transferred to a sanitarium
(c) He continues to read many books
(d) His recovery is slow
15. Why is Carlos losing interest in the fight?
(a) He is too ill to keep fighting
(b) His brother is sick
(c) He does not believe in Communism
(d) He is tired of fighting
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first victory the Filipinos win in their battle for civil rights?
2. Which of the following characters does Carlos find in Monterey?
3. How does Carlos get the money that he gives to Macario?
4. Why are Macario, Nick and Felix going to Spain?
5. Which of the following would have been taught in one of Carlos' classes?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)