|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his operations, what is Carlos missing on his right side?
2. Which of the following characters does Carlos meet on the return train trip to Los Angeles?
3. With what task in the hospital does Carlos help?
(a) Spending time working at the information desk
(b) Caring for other patients
(c) Reading to children who have tuberculosis
4. Which word best describes how Carlos feels at the end of the story?
5. Which president signs the special proclamation allowing Filipinos to fight in the armed forces?
6. What does Carlos dream about while on the bus?
(a) The terrible beating he received
(b) First arrival in America
(c) Eileen and the books she has shared with him
(d) Childhood in Binalonan
7. What do Carlos, Jose and Macario find themselves in the middle of at the bar?
(a) Police sting
8. Why do the people Carlos lives with decide to find a new place?
(a) There are cheaper places with no stairs
(b) Macario has lost his job again
(c) Carlos has a stiff leg
(d) There is too much discrimination in their current place
9. Which of the following would have been taught in one of Carlos' classes?
(a) Labor union rules
10. What does Carlos not write?
(a) Sketches of life in America
(b) Short stories
(c) Full length novel
11. Where does Carlos find work?
(a) San Pedro
(b) Los Angeles
(d) San Francisco
12. What does Carlos start as he moves around?
(a) Worker's schools
(b) New job opportunities for workers
(c) New newspapers
(d) New organizations to get citizenship for Filipinos
13. Which of the following is not an accurate description of Macario in Chapter 44?
(c) Well enough to work
(d) Old looking
14. How does Carlos travel?
15. Why is Carlos losing interest in the fight?
(a) He is too ill to keep fighting
(b) His brother is sick
(c) He does not believe in Communism
(d) He is tired of fighting
Short Answer Questions
1. In what has Carlos' faith been restored?
2. How many people attend Carlos and Jose's meeting?
3. How many operations does Carlos undergo?
4. Where does Carlos want to be transferred?
5. What does the boy from a different ward ask Carlos to do for him?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)