|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Carlos evicted?
(a) There are too many people living in his apartment
(b) His landlady dies and the new one evicts everyone
(c) His writing is too controversial
(d) He is contagious and she doesn't want him living there
2. Who does the newspaper headline say is leading the strike?
(b) A Filipino communist
3. Which of the following is the main reason many of the Filipinos want to fight in the war?
(a) To find their families
(b) To show Americans they are worthy of citizenship
(c) To free their country of birth
(d) To gain citizenship
4. Which of the following characters is the contractor Carlos goes to see in Bakersfield?
5. What is the first victory the Filipinos win in their battle for civil rights?
(a) Proclamation allowing Filipinos to fight in the armed forces
(b) Proclamation allowing Filipinos to form labor unions
(c) Proclamation allowing Filipinos to become citizens
(d) Proclamation allowing Filipinos to live in America without police involvement
6. Which of the following is not an accurate description of Macario in Chapter 44?
(a) Old looking
(c) Well enough to work
7. To whom does Carlos want to show his book?
8. Which character does Carlos meet in San Pedro?
9. The boy who does not know how to write is from ________.
(d) New Mexico
10. Which of the following is not true about Carlos?
(a) He continues his relationship with Eileen
(b) His recovery is slow
(c) He is transferred to a sanitarium
(d) He continues to read many books
11. Which of the following characters does Carlos meet on the return train trip to Los Angeles?
12. How does Carlos travel?
13. Where does Carlos find Nick after he leaves Portland?
(c) Los Angeles
(d) San Jose
14. Who does Carlos live with after leaving the hospital?
(a) Victor and Nick
(b) Nick and Felix
(c) Macario and Victor
(d) Eileen and Macario
15. What does Carlos not write?
(a) Short stories
(b) Full length novel
(c) Sketches of life in America
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does the leader's wife of the San Fernando crew recognize Carlos?
2. Where does Carlos head after leaving Stockton?
3. Where does Carlos find Amado?
4. What does the boy from a different ward ask Carlos to do for him?
5. Where does Carlos head?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)