|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom has Carlos drawn closer?
2. Who does the newspaper headline say is leading the strike?
(a) A Filipino communist
3. Why is Carlos evicted?
(a) His landlady dies and the new one evicts everyone
(b) He is contagious and she doesn't want him living there
(c) There are too many people living in his apartment
(d) His writing is too controversial
4. Why are Macario, Nick and Felix going to Spain?
(a) To protect Carlos and find him better medical care
(b) To get away from the thugs who want to hurt them
(c) To fight the peasants
(d) To help fight Fascism
5. What does Macario tell Carlos?
(a) Carlos is not really his brother
(b) He does not care for Carlos
(c) He will always take care of him
(d) He is leaving for Spain
6. Which of the following characters is not living in Carlos' apartment in Los Angeles?
7. Which of the following is the title of Carlos' first published book?
(a) Filipino Letters
(b) American Letters
(c) Letter from America
(d) American Letters to the Philippines
8. Why do the people Carlos lives with decide to find a new place?
(a) Macario has lost his job again
(b) There is too much discrimination in their current place
(c) There are cheaper places with no stairs
(d) Carlos has a stiff leg
9. Who does Carlos try to find, but is unsuccessful?
10. What does Carlos dream about while on the bus?
(a) Childhood in Binalonan
(b) Eileen and the books she has shared with him
(c) The terrible beating he received
(d) First arrival in America
11. Which of the following characters does Carlos meet on the return train trip to Los Angeles?
12. Why do the doctors put Carlos' leg in a cast?
(a) The tuberculosis
(b) So he does not leave the hospital
(c) It is hurt in the beating in San Jose
(d) Because it swells in the rainy season
13. In what city does Carlos meet Claro?
(a) San Jose
(d) San Fernando
14. Where is Carlos' first stop on his trip visiting the workers?
(a) Los Angeles
(b) San Fernando
(c) San Jose
15. Where does Carlos go to escape his own reality?
(a) To Eileen's house
(b) To Jose's house
(c) Public library
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Carlos travel to Bakersfield?
2. With whom do Carlos and Jose want to call a meeting?
3. Who begins visiting Carlos after Alice leaves?
4. What does Carlos believe can never be destroyed?
5. Which of the following characters had Carlos met many years ago?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)