|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters does Carlos meet on the return train trip to Los Angeles?
2. What does Carlos do to support the cause of citizenship for Filipinos?
(a) Write articles and news items
(b) Strike against places that does not support it
(c) Holds meetings with Congressmen
(d) Sponsors a bill in Congress
3. What does Carlos dream about while on the bus?
(a) The terrible beating he received
(b) First arrival in America
(c) Eileen and the books she has shared with him
(d) Childhood in Binalonan
4. Why are there not many workers in Bakersfield?
(a) Harvest is still months away
(b) There are no crops in Bakersfield
(c) Mexican workers have taken over the work previously done by Filipinos
(d) They have been run out by thugs
5. With whom do Carlos and Jose want to call a meeting?
(a) All of their family and friends
(b) Employers of Filipinos
(c) Filipino labor leaders
(d) The striking workers in Stockton
6. Which of the following is the main reason many of the Filipinos want to fight in the war?
(a) To free their country of birth
(b) To gain citizenship
(c) To find their families
(d) To show Americans they are worthy of citizenship
7. Which of the following best describes who has taken over the CPRF and labor organizations?
(d) No one, they have all been disbanded
8. When does Carlos leave?
(a) The month after Macario leaves
(b) The year after Macario leaves
(c) The week after Macario leaves
(d) The day after Macario leaves
9. Which of the following characters does Carlos find in Monterey?
10. What does Claro tell Carlos many years ago when they meet?
(a) Do not return to Stockton until ready to fight for their people
(b) To return to the Philippines as soon as possible
(c) To spend his time and energy doing good work for the Filipino people
(d) To never return to Stockton
11. What does Macario tell Carlos?
(a) He is leaving for Spain
(b) He does not care for Carlos
(c) He will always take care of him
(d) Carlos is not really his brother
12. Which of the following would have been taught in one of Carlos' classes?
(a) Labor union rules
13. How does Carlos get the money that he gives to Macario?
14. How long does it take Carlos to be well enough to travel?
(a) One year
(b) One month
(c) One week
(d) One day
15. What does Carlos not write?
(a) Short stories
(c) Sketches of life in America
(d) Full length novel
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom has Carlos drawn closer?
2. In what has Carlos' faith been restored?
3. What does Carlos want to do when he recovers?
4. Where does Carlos find Amado?
5. Which of the following best describes Carlos' understanding of his illness and diagnosis?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)