|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Carlos want to be transferred?
(a) Different hospital
(c) Eileen's home
(d) No where, he wants to stay in the hospital
2. What does Macario tell Carlos?
(a) He is leaving for Spain
(b) He does not care for Carlos
(c) He will always take care of him
(d) Carlos is not really his brother
3. Why is Carlos evicted?
(a) There are too many people living in his apartment
(b) His writing is too controversial
(c) His landlady dies and the new one evicts everyone
(d) He is contagious and she doesn't want him living there
4. What does Carlos do when Macario becomes ill and needs money?
(a) Steals a diamond ring
(b) Takes money back from the Filipino citizenship cause
(c) Leaves the city
(d) Gets a job
5. How does Carlos get the money that he gives to Macario?
6. Which word best describes how Carlos feels at the end of the story?
7. What do Carlos, Jose and Macario find themselves in the middle of at the bar?
(c) Police sting
8. Where does Carlos go to talk to Nick?
(a) San Fernando
(c) Los Angeles
9. How long should Macario be able to live on the money Carlos gives him?
(a) 2 weeks
(b) 2 days
(c) 2 months
(d) 2 years
10. Who does Carlos try to find, but is unsuccessful?
11. Which of the following best describes Carlos' understanding of his illness and diagnosis?
(a) Realizes he will soon die
(b) He does not understand it
(c) Isolates himself
(d) He understands it completely
12. Which of the following is the main reason many of the Filipinos want to fight in the war?
(a) To find their families
(b) To gain citizenship
(c) To free their country of birth
(d) To show Americans they are worthy of citizenship
13. Which of the following is not true about Carlos?
(a) He is transferred to a sanitarium
(b) He continues to read many books
(c) His recovery is slow
(d) He continues his relationship with Eileen
14. What does Carlos want to do when he recovers?
(a) Return to the Philippines
(b) Go to school
(c) Find Marian
(d) Join the labor movement again
15. With what task in the hospital does Carlos help?
(a) Caring for other patients
(c) Reading to children who have tuberculosis
(d) Spending time working at the information desk
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Carlos and Macario move once they are evicted?
2. Which of the following characters is the contractor Carlos goes to see in Bakersfield?
3. What does the boy from a different ward ask Carlos to do for him?
4. Why are Macario, Nick and Felix going to Spain?
5. Who begins visiting Carlos after Alice leaves?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)