|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what type of business does Carlos' mother work?
(a) Trading business
(b) Farming business
(c) Craft business
(d) Secretary business
2. Alfredo is friendly with __________.
3. Which of the following are a part of Carlos' duties at the newspaper after Pascual gets sick?
(a) Business manager duties
(b) Selling advertising
(c) Editorial duties
(d) Selling subscriptions
4. How old is Carlos when his brother leaves to fight in the war?
5. What do five white men do to Jose and Carlos?
(a) Kidnap them
(b) Take them away to Mexico
(c) Bribe them
(d) Kill them
6. Where is Carlos when he is arrested and put in jail?
(b) Bus station
(c) Homeless shelter
(d) Hotel in Seattle
7. What organization does Carlos try to help Jose keep together?
(a) Filipino Workers' Association
(b) The New Tide
(c) Labor Movement
(d) Pascual's Newspaper
8. Which of the following is a skill Luciano learns in the service which makes him employable?
9. What business did Alfredo want Carlos to enter?
(d) Milk Company
10. What job must Carlos father take on after he realizes he has no land?
(b) Day laborer
11. Where does Carlos' ship dock in America?
(d) New York
12. Which world event intensifies the hatred against Filipinos?
(a) War with Germany
(b) War with Philippines
(c) Increased crime committed by the Filipinos
(d) War with Japan
13. How does the group that lives together in the Hope Street apartment try to pay their rent?
(a) Dance at the dance hall
(d) Sell everything
14. Who is Mariano?
(a) Carlos' gambling partner
(b) The man Carlos kills with Max
(c) A friend of Carlos'sbrother
(d) Carlos' boss
15. How does Carlos learn how to get around on the trains?
(a) Watching hobos
(b) Following the lead of his brother
(c) Hanging on to rods on the trains
(d) Listening to passengers
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carlos steal in order to buy food when he returns to Seattle?
2. Which of the following is the best definition for the term barrio?
3. Where is Carlos trying to sleep when he is confronted by the police?
4. What does Carlos' family call him?
5. Which of the following is not an accurate description of how Carlos feels on the journey to America?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)