|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Carlos feel about returning to the city of his birth and the old family home?
(a) Surprised by the developments in the city
(b) Regretful he returns there
(c) Unhappy with the death of his brother
(d) Happy he returns there
2. What is the name of the literary magazine that Nick, Felix and Carlos print?
(a) The New Tide
(b) A New Revolution
(c) The New Way
(d) Filipino's Way
3. Where does Miss Strandon arrange for Carlos to have a job?
(a) Doctor's office
(d) Pet store
4. What job must Carlos father take on after he realizes he has no land?
(d) Day laborer
5. Where does Carlos find Jose?
(a) New Mexico
(c) Los Angeles
(d) San Francisco
6. What happens during the meeting the Filipino Workers' Association holds outside of the town limits?
(a) They are all killed
(b) They lose their building
(c) They are forced to cancel it
(d) Armed men come and shoot and arrest people
7. What happens to Carlos and his mother on the way home from Puxzzorobio?
(a) They are robbed of all of their hard earned money
(b) They are attacked by a band of thieves
(c) They lose their way and become lost in the countryside
(d) The rising river sweeps away all their beans.
8. What type of party does Carlos go to with Macario?
9. Which of the following characters keeps a roof over everyone's head by selling tickets at a dance hall?
10. Which of the following terms means lending of money at an extremely high interest rate?
11. What happens when the strikers try to prevent the transport of the produce?
(a) They are beaten and arrested by the police
(b) The strike is broken
(c) They are shot and killed by farmers
(d) They are run over by vehicles
12. What is Pascual's profession in addition to running the small newspaper?
(c) Restaurant manager
13. Why does Carlos begin drinking and roaming around the West Coast?
(a) Trying to find Jose and Miller
(b) Trying to find his love, Dora
(c) Hiding out from contractor thugs
(d) Upset by Marian's death
14. Which of the following is not an accurate description of how Carlos feels on the journey to America?
(c) Ill with meningitis
(d) In search of friends
15. Which character gets a girl in trouble and has to leave town?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carlos steal in order to buy food when he returns to Seattle?
2. Who cares for Carlos' father in his illness?
3. How does Carlos' cousin show him how to meet girls?
4. What does Marian want Carlos to do?
5. How does the group that lives together in the Hope Street apartment try to pay their rent?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)