|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Carlos' cousin live?
(a) On a fishing boat
(b) In his own apartment
(c) In his own house
(d) Boarding house
2. What does Carlos steal in order to buy food when he returns to Seattle?
3. What happens when the Filipino workers strike?
(a) Mexican workers are brought in
(b) People are killed
(c) Filipino interest and their workers' association grows stronger
(d) Farmers go bankrupt
4. Which of the following is a skill Luciano learns in the service which makes him employable?
5. Who tells Carlos to head to Stockton?
(c) The girl who was assaulted
(d) The Chinese
6. Where is Carlos trying to sleep when he is confronted by the police?
(b) Homeless shelter
(c) Bus station
(d) Hotel in Seattle
7. What kind of job does Macario find?
(a) Dance hall ticket sales
(c) Tomato field worker
(d) Serving at weddings
8. What type of party does Carlos go to with Macario?
9. On what does the family spend all of its money?
(a) Macario's school expenses
(b) New animals to help on the farm
(c) Buying new hectares of land
(d) Food, clothes and health checkups
10. Which character gets a girl in trouble and has to leave town?
11. Which character has his feet severed by a train?
12. From what disease does Marian die?
13. Who does Carlos discover has a true hatred of Filipinos?
14. To what organization does the Philippine Scouts belong?
(a) International Cub Scouts
(b) Philippine Army
(c) Future Farmers Coalition
(d) US Army
15. What happens when the strikers try to prevent the transport of the produce?
(a) The strike is broken
(b) They are shot and killed by farmers
(c) They are beaten and arrested by the police
(d) They are run over by vehicles
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Carlos end up after he gets on the second train with the girl?
2. How long is Amado in prison?
3. Who returns to the family and helps make the next loan payment?
4. Why does Macario not want to marry the girl who has moved in with him?
5. How does the group that lives together in the Hope Street apartment try to pay their rent?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)