|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Carlos earn money while he is living with his cousin?
(a) Working on a fishing boat
(b) Going to school
(c) Selling fish his cousin catches
(d) Working with an American
2. Where does Carlos' father go to try to retrieve his land?
(c) His son
(d) Absentee landlord
3. To what organization does the Philippine Scouts belong?
(a) US Army
(b) Future Farmers Coalition
(c) International Cub Scouts
(d) Philippine Army
4. How do Carlos and Luciano earn money to open a small store?
(a) They babysit children from the village
(b) They bar-b-que birds and sell them
(c) They capture and sell parrots
(d) They fix equipment and machinery
5. What happens to all of the family's animals and land?
(a) They are taken away during the revolt
(b) They die from disease
(c) They are lost
(d) They are sold off to pay for Carlos's school
6. What happens during the meeting the Filipino Workers' Association holds outside of the town limits?
(a) They lose their building
(b) They are forced to cancel it
(c) Armed men come and shoot and arrest people
(d) They are all killed
7. What does Juan Cablaan give Carlos?
(d) Ticket to America
8. On what does the family spend all of its money?
(a) Buying new hectares of land
(b) Food, clothes and health checkups
(c) New animals to help on the farm
(d) Macario's school expenses
9. What does Carlos find one day as he walks home from school?
(a) His suitcase
(b) A schoolbook
(c) A baby
(d) A student credit paper from a teacher
10. What does Carlos steal in order to buy food when he returns to Seattle?
11. What type of party does Carlos go to with Macario?
12. Which world event intensifies the hatred against Filipinos?
(a) War with Germany
(b) War with Japan
(c) Increased crime committed by the Filipinos
(d) War with Philippines
13. How does Carlos learn how to get around on the trains?
(a) Hanging on to rods on the trains
(b) Following the lead of his brother
(c) Watching hobos
(d) Listening to passengers
14. Where does Carlos' ship dock in America?
(d) New York
15. Where does Carlos' cousin live?
(a) Boarding house
(b) In his own apartment
(c) On a fishing boat
(d) In his own house
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mariano?
2. What develops in Carlos as a direct result of his family losing its land?
3. Which of the following characters keeps a roof over everyone's head by selling tickets at a dance hall?
4. What does Carlos do with all of his money?
5. Where does Carlos end up after he gets on the second train with the girl?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)