|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the strikers try to prevent the transport of the produce?
(a) They are run over by vehicles
(b) They are beaten and arrested by the police
(c) They are shot and killed by farmers
(d) The strike is broken
2. Which world event intensifies the hatred against Filipinos?
(a) War with Philippines
(b) Increased crime committed by the Filipinos
(c) War with Japan
(d) War with Germany
3. What does Marian want Carlos to do?
(a) Take care of her
(b) Start a union
(c) Go to school
(d) Take care of Ganzo
4. How does Carlos earn money while he is living with his cousin?
(a) Selling fish his cousin catches
(b) Working on a fishing boat
(c) Going to school
(d) Working with an American
5. Why does Carlos' family move again?
(a) For the mango harvest
(b) To follow the animals
(c) Due to his father's drinking
(d) To work picking coconuts
6. What develops in Carlos as a direct result of his family losing its land?
(a) Increased education
(b) Illegal behavior
(c) Poor attitude
(d) Social awareness
7. How old is Carlos when his brother leaves to fight in the war?
8. Where does Lucille move the newspaper after Pascual dies?
(a) Los Angeles
(c) San Francisco
9. What kind of job does Macario find?
(a) Dance hall ticket sales
(b) Tomato field worker
(c) Serving at weddings
10. Where does Carlos end up after he gets on the second train with the girl?
11. Which character has his feet severed by a train?
12. How much money does Carlos earn from his time at the cannery?
13. What work does Carlos get in Moxee City?
(c) Apple picker
(d) Farm worker
14. What job must Carlos father take on after he realizes he has no land?
(a) Day laborer
15. What does Carlos' father turn to when he loses the court case about his land?
(d) His son
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Carlos begin drinking and roaming around the West Coast?
2. Of what nationality is the woman who owns the restaurant where Carlos hangs out?
3. Which character gets a girl in trouble and has to leave town?
4. How does Carlos' cousin show him how to meet girls?
5. Where is Carlos told to go to look for his brother?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)