|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following are a part of Carlos' duties at the newspaper after Pascual gets sick?
(a) Editorial duties
(b) Selling advertising
(c) Selling subscriptions
(d) Business manager duties
2. What is the name of the woman married to Pascual who helps to run the newspaper?
3. How does Carlos learn how to get around on the trains?
(a) Following the lead of his brother
(b) Hanging on to rods on the trains
(c) Watching hobos
(d) Listening to passengers
4. Who cares for Carlos' father in his illness?
(a) His mother
(b) Francisca, the six-year-old
(d) His brothers
5. What does Carlos' father turn to when he loses the court case about his land?
(b) His son
6. What happens during the meeting the Filipino Workers' Association holds outside of the town limits?
(a) They are all killed
(b) They are forced to cancel it
(c) They lose their building
(d) Armed men come and shoot and arrest people
7. At what age does Carlos leave home?
8. What kind of job does Macario find?
(a) Tomato field worker
(b) Dance hall ticket sales
(d) Serving at weddings
9. Who returns to the family and helps make the next loan payment?
10. Where does Carlos end up after he gets on the second train with the girl?
11. On what does the family spend all of its money?
(a) Buying new hectares of land
(b) New animals to help on the farm
(c) Food, clothes and health checkups
(d) Macario's school expenses
12. Where do Carlos and Jose find Miller?
(a) With Helen
(b) In secret meetings with the agricultural interests
(c) Tied to a tree
(d) On the floor of a car
13. For what amount are Carlos and his friend Marcelo sold?
14. At what grade level does Amado's education end?
15. What does Juan Cablaan give Carlos?
(d) Ticket to America
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Carlos trying to sleep when he is confronted by the police?
2. What is Pascual's profession in addition to running the small newspaper?
3. Which character gets a girl in trouble and has to leave town?
4. Which world event intensifies the hatred against Filipinos?
5. What book does Macario read to Carlos?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)