|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who cares for Carlos' father in his illness?
(a) Francisca, the six-year-old
(b) His brothers
(c) His mother
2. What type of party does Carlos go to with Macario?
3. At what grade level does Amado's education end?
4. Where does Carlos' ship dock in America?
(d) New York
5. Which of the following characters keeps a roof over everyone's head by selling tickets at a dance hall?
6. What does Carlos steal in order to buy food when he returns to Seattle?
7. Where is Carlos told to go to look for his brother?
(a) Pool room
(b) Dance hall
(d) Gambling hall
8. What book does Macario read to Carlos?
(b) Black Beauty
(c) Treasure Island
(d) Robinson Crusoe
9. What does Carlos do with all of his money?
(a) Loses it gambling
(b) Gives it to Amado
(c) Opens a restaurant
(d) Opens a bakery
10. For what amount are Carlos and his friend Marcelo sold?
11. At what age does Carlos leave home?
12. How do Carlos and Luciano earn money to open a small store?
(a) They fix equipment and machinery
(b) They bar-b-que birds and sell them
(c) They babysit children from the village
(d) They capture and sell parrots
13. Which of the following is the best definition for the term barrio?
(a) A Spanish-speaking area of a town
(b) A slum and very poor neighborhood
(c) A regular neighborhood
(d) A very wealthy area of a town
14. Which of the following is a skill Luciano learns in the service which makes him employable?
15. How does the group that lives together in the Hope Street apartment try to pay their rent?
(a) Dance at the dance hall
(d) Sell everything
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Macario think the family should sell so that he can finish his last three months of school?
2. How does Carlos earn money while he is living with his cousin?
3. Where does Carlos find Jose?
4. From what disease does Marian die?
5. Why does Carlos' family move again?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)