|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what disease does Marian die?
2. Why does Carlos' family move again?
(a) Due to his father's drinking
(b) To work picking coconuts
(c) To follow the animals
(d) For the mango harvest
3. What is the name of the literary magazine that Nick, Felix and Carlos print?
(a) Filipino's Way
(b) A New Revolution
(c) The New Way
(d) The New Tide
4. With whom is Nick running a literary magazine in Los Angeles?
5. On what does the family spend all of its money?
(a) New animals to help on the farm
(b) Macario's school expenses
(c) Food, clothes and health checkups
(d) Buying new hectares of land
6. Where is Carlos told to go to look for his brother?
(a) Dance hall
(b) Pool room
(d) Gambling hall
7. Why does Carlos have to stay home during the rainy season?
(a) His legs swell
(b) His father must find work to make the loan payment
(c) He must take care of the children
(d) Schools are closed during the rainy season
8. What work do Amado and his friend Alfredo do?
(a) Bus drivers
(b) Work in the tomato fields
9. What do five white men do to Jose and Carlos?
(a) Bribe them
(b) Kidnap them
(c) Kill them
(d) Take them away to Mexico
10. Why does Carlos begin drinking and roaming around the West Coast?
(a) Trying to find his love, Dora
(b) Hiding out from contractor thugs
(c) Trying to find Jose and Miller
(d) Upset by Marian's death
11. What happens when the strikers try to prevent the transport of the produce?
(a) They are run over by vehicles
(b) They are shot and killed by farmers
(c) The strike is broken
(d) They are beaten and arrested by the police
12. Alfredo is friendly with __________.
13. What work does Carlos get in Moxee City?
(b) Farm worker
(d) Apple picker
14. What does Carlos steal in order to buy food when he returns to Seattle?
15. What job must Carlos father take on after he realizes he has no land?
(c) Day laborer
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carlos find one day as he walks home from school?
2. What does Macario think the family should sell so that he can finish his last three months of school?
3. Why does Carlos move back to California?
4. How does Carlos' cousin show him how to meet girls?
5. How does the group that lives together in the Hope Street apartment try to pay their rent?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)