|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carlos' father turn to when he loses the court case about his land?
(c) His son
2. Why does Carlos move back to California?
(a) To stay away from Alfredo
(b) To rob a bank
(c) To work in a milk factory
(d) To visit his brother in jail on weekends
3. What does the younger generation in the Philippines want?
(a) Change and national independence
(b) More rights for farmers
(c) More land to farm
(d) Social equality among all classes
4. How much money does Carlos earn from his time at the cannery?
5. Which of the following are a part of Carlos' duties at the newspaper after Pascual gets sick?
(a) Business manager duties
(b) Editorial duties
(c) Selling advertising
(d) Selling subscriptions
6. Which of the following is not an accurate description of how Carlos feels on the journey to America?
(a) In search of friends
(d) Ill with meningitis
7. What does Carlos find his mother doing when he finally finds her?
(a) Taking care of his siblings
(c) Caring for his ill father
(d) Selling beans
8. In what type of business does Carlos' mother work?
(a) Farming business
(b) Trading business
(c) Secretary business
(d) Craft business
9. What happens during the meeting the Filipino Workers' Association holds outside of the town limits?
(a) They are all killed
(b) They are forced to cancel it
(c) They lose their building
(d) Armed men come and shoot and arrest people
10. When does Claro say Carlos should return to Stockton?
(a) When he's ready to fight for his people
(b) When he finds his brothers
(c) When he has money to pay for his gambling
11. What is Pascual's final wish?
(a) To return to the Philippines
(b) To have Carlos take over the newspaper
(c) To move toward socialism
(d) To move to San Francisco
12. What kind of job does Macario find?
(a) Tomato field worker
(b) Serving at weddings
(d) Dance hall ticket sales
13. What does Carlos find one day as he walks home from school?
(a) A student credit paper from a teacher
(b) His suitcase
(c) A baby
(d) A schoolbook
14. How does Carlos learn how to get around on the trains?
(a) Hanging on to rods on the trains
(b) Listening to passengers
(c) Watching hobos
(d) Following the lead of his brother
15. What work does Carlos get in Moxee City?
(a) Farm worker
(b) Apple picker
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Julio and Carlos flee the orchard?
2. At what grade level does Amado's education end?
3. How does Carlos feel about returning to the city of his birth and the old family home?
4. Which of the following is a skill Luciano learns in the service which makes him employable?
5. What organization does Carlos try to help Jose keep together?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)