|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Carlos' ship dock in America?
(d) New York
2. Which of the following terms means lending of money at an extremely high interest rate?
3. What crop does Carlos help harvest at the end of cauliflower season?
4. What is Pascual's final wish?
(a) To move to San Francisco
(b) To move toward socialism
(c) To return to the Philippines
(d) To have Carlos take over the newspaper
5. How does Carlos learn how to get around on the trains?
(a) Watching hobos
(b) Following the lead of his brother
(c) Hanging on to rods on the trains
(d) Listening to passengers
6. How does Carlos know that a revolt is about to begin?
(a) He sees the police lining up in the fields
(b) His mother tells him
(c) Felix tells him
(d) His little sisters tell him
7. What does Marian want Carlos to do?
(a) Go to school
(b) Take care of Ganzo
(c) Start a union
(d) Take care of her
8. In what type of business does Carlos' mother work?
(a) Trading business
(b) Farming business
(c) Craft business
(d) Secretary business
9. Where is Carlos told to go to look for his brother?
(b) Pool room
(c) Gambling hall
(d) Dance hall
10. How does Carlos learn of the death of his father?
(a) A letter from his cousin
(b) From his brother Amado
(c) From his family when he returns home for a visit
(d) A letter from his mother
11. At what age does Carlos leave home?
12. What does Carlos do with all of his money?
(a) Opens a bakery
(b) Gives it to Amado
(c) Opens a restaurant
(d) Loses it gambling
13. What does Carlos find his mother doing when he finally finds her?
(b) Selling beans
(c) Caring for his ill father
(d) Taking care of his siblings
14. Which character has his feet severed by a train?
15. Who cares for Carlos' father in his illness?
(a) His mother
(b) Francisca, the six-year-old
(c) His brothers
Short Answer Questions
1. With what disease is Carlos diagnosed?
2. Why does Macario not want to marry the girl who has moved in with him?
3. What book does Macario read to Carlos?
4. What type of party does Carlos go to with Macario?
5. What happens to all of the family's animals and land?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)