|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What traditionally happens when a new presidente (mayor) is elected in a city?
(a) They are forced to leave their country and go to America
(b) All old employees are killed
(c) The new mayor interviews all old employees and keeps only those that he likes
(d) All old employees are fired
2. What does Marian want Carlos to do?
(a) Start a union
(b) Take care of her
(c) Go to school
(d) Take care of Ganzo
3. When does Claro say Carlos should return to Stockton?
(a) When he's ready to fight for his people
(b) When he finds his brothers
(d) When he has money to pay for his gambling
4. Which of the following are a part of Carlos' duties at the newspaper after Pascual gets sick?
(a) Business manager duties
(b) Selling subscriptions
(c) Editorial duties
(d) Selling advertising
5. At what grade level does Amado's education end?
6. In what type of business does Carlos' mother work?
(a) Secretary business
(b) Trading business
(c) Farming business
(d) Craft business
7. Where does Miss Strandon arrange for Carlos to have a job?
(a) Pet store
(d) Doctor's office
8. How do Carlos and Luciano earn money to open a small store?
(a) They capture and sell parrots
(b) They fix equipment and machinery
(c) They babysit children from the village
(d) They bar-b-que birds and sell them
9. What is Pascual's final wish?
(a) To move to San Francisco
(b) To move toward socialism
(c) To return to the Philippines
(d) To have Carlos take over the newspaper
10. From what disease does Marian die?
11. What happens during the meeting the Filipino Workers' Association holds outside of the town limits?
(a) They are forced to cancel it
(b) Armed men come and shoot and arrest people
(c) They are all killed
(d) They lose their building
12. On what does the family spend all of its money?
(a) Food, clothes and health checkups
(b) New animals to help on the farm
(c) Macario's school expenses
(d) Buying new hectares of land
13. Which of the following characters keeps a roof over everyone's head by selling tickets at a dance hall?
14. What does Carlos do with all of his money?
(a) Opens a restaurant
(b) Gives it to Amado
(c) Loses it gambling
(d) Opens a bakery
15. Which of the following is a gambling game?
(d) Pie Queen
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Carlos feel about returning to the city of his birth and the old family home?
2. Where does Carlos find Jose?
3. How does the group that lives together in the Hope Street apartment try to pay their rent?
4. At what age does Carlos leave home?
5. Which of the following is the best definition for the term barrio?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)