|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what grade level does Amado's education end?
2. What is Pascual's profession in addition to running the small newspaper?
(b) Restaurant manager
3. What crop does Carlos help harvest at the end of cauliflower season?
4. What does Carlos' family call him?
5. Where does Carlos end up after he gets on the second train with the girl?
6. What work do Amado and his friend Alfredo do?
(c) Bus drivers
(d) Work in the tomato fields
7. Which of the following words best describes how Carlos feels about the middle class?
8. Where does Carlos' ship dock in America?
(b) New York
9. Where do Carlos and Jose find Miller?
(a) In secret meetings with the agricultural interests
(b) With Helen
(c) Tied to a tree
(d) On the floor of a car
10. Which of the following is a skill Luciano learns in the service which makes him employable?
11. How long is Amado in prison?
(a) 6 weeks
(b) 6 days
(c) 6 months
(d) 6 years
12. What does Carlos find his mother doing when he finally finds her?
(b) Selling beans
(c) Taking care of his siblings
(d) Caring for his ill father
13. Where does Lucille move the newspaper after Pascual dies?
(c) Los Angeles
(d) San Francisco
14. Why do Julio and Carlos flee the orchard?
(a) The crew leader stole their paychecks
(b) A group appears and starts shooting at everyone
(c) They are tired of working hard
(d) They want to find Carlos's brothers
15. How does Carlos learn how to get around on the trains?
(a) Watching hobos
(b) Hanging on to rods on the trains
(c) Following the lead of his brother
(d) Listening to passengers
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Macario not want to marry the girl who has moved in with him?
2. For what amount are Carlos and his friend Marcelo sold?
3. What happens to Carlos as he tries to obtain a job?
4. How does Carlos' cousin show him how to meet girls?
5. Which of the following is a gambling game?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)