Part 1, Chapter 1 | Part 1, Chapter 2
• Carlos' family works hard farming.
• Carlos' brother comes home from the war in Europe and marries a girl. Because she is not a virgin, a crowd gathers and whips Leon, his father and the new bride. Leon and his bride move away.
• Carlos' family does not all live together. Carlos and his father live on the farm while his mother, baby sister and brother (Amado) live in town so Amado can go to school.
• Life on the farm is hard and they must work to finish the harvest before the rains come. They pay for education by selling off parts of their land until that finally runs out.
• Carlos eventually leaves and goes to Binalonan to work but breaks several bones and has to be taken care of by Amado until he can walk again.
Part 1, Chapter 3 | Part 1, Chapter 4
• The family is relieved that...
This section contains 4,033 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)