|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "The whole world just get to be a great big empty basin"?
2. When Margaret returns from her trip in Act II, where does she go first?
3. Who is laid in the churchyard that Margaret refers to in Act II?
4. Luke thinks Margaret is treating David like he's how old in Act II?
5. In Act II, we learn that it cost how much to get a specific window painted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The new refrigerator is mentioned throughout the play. In particular, Brother Boxer focuses on it, starting with "This ain't no icebox, this is a Frigidaire." What does the refrigerator symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
The jazz music that Luke plays is viewed as sinful by Margaret and the church elders. When Margaret invites the Philadelphia church to their Harlem church, she tells church members that they will be bringing drums and a trumpet. These instruments, along with the piano that David plays in the church, are all prominent instruments in jazz. Compare and contrast jazz with the music in the church.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is used during "The Amen Corner." Baldwin makes a point of saying that Ida Jackson is "not dressed in white" in Act I and that Sisters Moore and Boxer are dressed in white in the final act. Discuss the use of and meaning of the color white.
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)