|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II, who says that it's the man who's supposed to lead, not the woman?
2. In Act II, how much did Brother Boxer say that it cost him to go to Philadelphia?
3. In Act II, we learn that it cost how much to get a specific window painted?
4. What musicians does David compare his father to in Act II?
5. In Act II, when does David say that he stopped believing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters undergo change during "The Amen Corner." Yet Odessa stays consistent in her devotion to her sister and the church. Can you name another character who remains consistent in words and actions throughout the play? Cite examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
David is presented with a choice, to be religious and work in the church like his mother, or to play music and be sinful like his father. Are these David's only choices in life? Sum up David's dilemma in your own words and explain what you think he should do.
Essay Topic 3
Luke's bedroom is dark throughout the play, except for the one time that Luke asks his son to lift the shade. Even before Luke arrives, the beginning narrative of Act I states that Luke's bedroom is "a small, dark room." Are the light and dark symbolic?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)