|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II, Brother Boxer insinuates that the congregation paid for what household item?
2. Who are Odessa and Sisters Moore and Boxer talking about when Act II opens?
3. What music is playing in Luke's bedroom?
4. When Brother Boxer says, "But he got trumpets or some kind of horn in his blood," who is he referring to?
5. What did Odessa do to buy the household item in question?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters undergo change during "The Amen Corner." Yet Odessa stays consistent in her devotion to her sister and the church. Can you name another character who remains consistent in words and actions throughout the play? Cite examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In the first act, Margaret preaches on "Set thine house in order, for thou shalt die and not live." Discuss how her sermon foreshadows what is to come.
Essay Topic 3
In the Notes Section, author James Baldwin indicates a personal knowledge of what his characters go through when he states that "I know what Sister Margaret goes through, and what her male child is menaced by." In his life, Baldwin didn't know his biological father, but was raised in Harlem by a stepfather who was reported to be a stern pastor. In knowing that "The Amen Corner" came from his personal experience, what do you think Baldwin was trying to say about religion? Cite examples to support your opinion.
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)