|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says in Act II, "The way that box is going, you wouldn't of hear the Holy Ghost come in"?
2. In Act II, who says that it's the man who's supposed to lead, not the woman?
3. What concern does Sister Sally bring up to the others during Act II?
4. What did Odessa do to buy the household item in question?
5. Why didn't David know much about his father's musical career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The jazz music that Luke plays is viewed as sinful by Margaret and the church elders. When Margaret invites the Philadelphia church to their Harlem church, she tells church members that they will be bringing drums and a trumpet. These instruments, along with the piano that David plays in the church, are all prominent instruments in jazz. Compare and contrast jazz with the music in the church.
Essay Topic 2
In the last act, Margaret is upset at the loudness coming from the church. After telling her that she always told them to praise the Lord with fervor, Brother Boxer asks Margaret, "Where's all your fervor done gone to, Sister Margaret?" Fervor is another word for passion. Compare and contrast the ideas about passion for the church and passion for another person in "The Amen Corner."
Essay Topic 3
The new refrigerator is mentioned throughout the play. In particular, Brother Boxer focuses on it, starting with "This ain't no icebox, this is a Frigidaire." What does the refrigerator symbolize?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)