|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound interrupts the argument in the church during Act II?
2. How much was the offering for the pastor's trip to Philadelphia?
3. What concern does Sister Sally bring up to the others during Act II?
4. What hope did Luke reveal to David during Act II?
5. In Act II, what does Luke call the baby the he and his wife lost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The church elders believe that Margaret is being hypocritical because she's not as holy and pure as she pretends to be. Discuss how the church elders are also being hypocritical.
Essay Topic 2
The setting of the play is a church and home that join together. Why do you think the author did this? Was it just to make the scene setting easier as the action shifts from home to play or perhaps did Baldwin mean something more? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is used during "The Amen Corner." Baldwin makes a point of saying that Ida Jackson is "not dressed in white" in Act I and that Sisters Moore and Boxer are dressed in white in the final act. Discuss the use of and meaning of the color white.
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)