|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day is it when Act II begins?
2. Who says, "The way that box is going, you wouldn't of hear the Holy Ghost come in"?
3. Who says, "You play piano like I dreamed you would" to David in Act II?
4. Who is laid in the churchyard that Margaret refers to in Act II?
5. Who says, "The whole world just get to be a great big empty basin"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first act, Margaret preaches on "Set thine house in order, for thou shalt die and not live." Discuss how her sermon foreshadows what is to come.
Essay Topic 2
David is presented with a choice, to be religious and work in the church like his mother, or to play music and be sinful like his father. Are these David's only choices in life? Sum up David's dilemma in your own words and explain what you think he should do.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is used during "The Amen Corner." Baldwin makes a point of saying that Ida Jackson is "not dressed in white" in Act I and that Sisters Moore and Boxer are dressed in white in the final act. Discuss the use of and meaning of the color white.
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)