|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing that Margaret says in Act II?
2. Who leaves to look for David in Act II?
3. Who enters the church during the last line of a song in Act II?
4. What did Odessa do to buy the household item in question?
5. According to Brother Boxer in Act II, where has David been spending time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting of the play is a church and home that join together. Why do you think the author did this? Was it just to make the scene setting easier as the action shifts from home to play or perhaps did Baldwin mean something more? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In the first act, Margaret preaches on "Set thine house in order, for thou shalt die and not live." Discuss how her sermon foreshadows what is to come.
Essay Topic 3
In speaking to Ida Jackson in the first act, Margaret says, "Maybe the Lord wants you to leave that man." Why do you think Margaret says this? Is she comparing Ida Jackson's situation to her own? Do you think Margaret is suggesting that God is making the baby sick to send a message? Explain your answer.
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)