|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing that Margaret says in Act II?
2. Luke thinks Margaret is treating David like he's how old in Act II?
3. In Act II, which character mentioned going to Philadelphia with her husband, Herman?
4. Who says, "I'm bearing witness to the truth" in Act II.
5. In Act II, Sister Moore suggests that Margaret has engaged in another wrongdoing. What is this wrongdoing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hymns are used throughout "The Amen Corner." When the church elders begin plans to remove Margaret from the pulpit, Sister Moore sings "You can run on for a long time, I tell you the great God Almighty gonna cut you down." Discuss the role of music in "The Amen Corner."
Essay Topic 2
David is presented with a choice, to be religious and work in the church like his mother, or to play music and be sinful like his father. Are these David's only choices in life? Sum up David's dilemma in your own words and explain what you think he should do.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters undergo change during "The Amen Corner." Yet Odessa stays consistent in her devotion to her sister and the church. Can you name another character who remains consistent in words and actions throughout the play? Cite examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)