|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who mentions a "heart black with sorrow" in Act II?
2. Who is the "funny, fast-talking, fiery" person mentioned in Act II?
3. Why didn't David know much about his father's musical career?
4. What time of day is it when Act II begins?
5. In talking about the events that occurred ten years ago, Luke says that they were cursed for what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The jazz music that Luke plays is viewed as sinful by Margaret and the church elders. When Margaret invites the Philadelphia church to their Harlem church, she tells church members that they will be bringing drums and a trumpet. These instruments, along with the piano that David plays in the church, are all prominent instruments in jazz. Compare and contrast jazz with the music in the church.
Essay Topic 2
In speaking to Ida Jackson in the first act, Margaret says, "Maybe the Lord wants you to leave that man." Why do you think Margaret says this? Is she comparing Ida Jackson's situation to her own? Do you think Margaret is suggesting that God is making the baby sick to send a message? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The two strongest female characters in "The Amen Corner" are Margaret and Sister Moore. Compare and contrast these two characters. How are they alike. How are they different?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)