|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Odessa encourages Margaret to return to the church towards the end of Act II for what reason?
2. How much was the offering for the pastor's trip to Philadelphia?
3. In Act II Sister Boxer and Margaret argue about the difference between having trumpets and drums in church and what?
4. In talking about the events that occurred ten years ago, Luke says that they were cursed for what reason?
5. What did Odessa do to buy the household item in question?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Notes Section, author James Baldwin indicates a personal knowledge of what his characters go through when he states that "I know what Sister Margaret goes through, and what her male child is menaced by." In his life, Baldwin didn't know his biological father, but was raised in Harlem by a stepfather who was reported to be a stern pastor. In knowing that "The Amen Corner" came from his personal experience, what do you think Baldwin was trying to say about religion? Cite examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
The church elders believe that Margaret is being hypocritical because she's not as holy and pure as she pretends to be. Discuss how the church elders are also being hypocritical.
Essay Topic 3
Much is made about David following in his father's footsteps as they both want music as their career. Do you think that David will end up like his father? Why or why not? Support your answers.
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)