|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Margaret was delivering their baby, where was Luke?
2. In Act II, Margaret is asked how she returned home from Philadelphia. Her answer was what?
3. What hope did Luke reveal to David during Act II?
4. In Act II, who says that it's the man who's supposed to lead, not the woman?
5. What does Luke remove from his pajama pocket in Act II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The church elders believe that Margaret is being hypocritical because she's not as holy and pure as she pretends to be. Discuss how the church elders are also being hypocritical.
Essay Topic 2
James Baldwin is noted for writing about African American issues during his lifetime. Although his characters in "The Amen Corner" are African American, the central theme is religion. During Act III, Margaret tells her son about "boys like you down home" and that "I seen them go down." She presents religion to her son as a way to escape this path. Do you believe Baldwin wrote about African American issues in this scene or others in "The Amen Corner"? Give examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In the first act, Margaret preaches on "Set thine house in order, for thou shalt die and not live." Discuss how her sermon foreshadows what is to come.
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)