|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What musicians does David compare his father to in Act II?
2. In Act II, Luke accuses Margaret of treating David like he's how many years old?
3. When Margaret returns from her trip in Act II, where does she go first?
4. Who defends Margaret to the others in Act II?
5. In Act II, who says that it's the man who's supposed to lead, not the woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters undergo change during "The Amen Corner." Yet Odessa stays consistent in her devotion to her sister and the church. Can you name another character who remains consistent in words and actions throughout the play? Cite examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is used during "The Amen Corner." Baldwin makes a point of saying that Ida Jackson is "not dressed in white" in Act I and that Sisters Moore and Boxer are dressed in white in the final act. Discuss the use of and meaning of the color white.
Essay Topic 3
In speaking to Ida Jackson in the first act, Margaret says, "Maybe the Lord wants you to leave that man." Why do you think Margaret says this? Is she comparing Ida Jackson's situation to her own? Do you think Margaret is suggesting that God is making the baby sick to send a message? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)