|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David say when his father asks if his mother is a good pastor?
2. When does the first act take place?
3. Who went downtown and saw Luke the night before the first scene?
4. What do Margaret and Odessa agree that Brother Boxer doesn't have any right to be doing?
5. What type of set is used in "The Amen Corner"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act I, what do we know about Ida Jackson's husband, who isn't with her?
2. What does Act II tell you about Sister Sally?
3. Describe the opening of Act III.
4. In Act II, Sister Moore reports that people are coming to the church because they want an accounting from the church elders. What is she referring to?
5. Why doesn't David want to go to Philadelphia?
6. Margaret refuses to cancel her trip to Philadelphia even when it's obvious that Luke is ill. What is her reasoning?
7. Margaret makes all kinds of excuses as to why David might have drank liquor, including friends making fun of him, a girl, or his father. What was David's reason?
8. Describe David as he enters the apartment in Act III.
9. As Margaret leaves for Philadelphia at the end of the first act, she shouts instructions for everyone. What are they?
10. What jazz musicians does David compare his father to after confessing to listening to his records in Act II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hymns are used throughout "The Amen Corner." When the church elders begin plans to remove Margaret from the pulpit, Sister Moore sings "You can run on for a long time, I tell you the great God Almighty gonna cut you down." Discuss the role of music in "The Amen Corner."
Essay Topic 2
As pastor of a church, Margaret's ability to lead isn't questioned until Luke's return. In Act II, Brother Boxer even says, "She done forgot it ain't the woman supposed to lead, it's the man." What role does Margaret's marriage play in her ability to lead a church as pastor? Does her marriage make her less holy in the eyes of her congregation?
Essay Topic 3
In the first act, Margaret preaches on "Set thine house in order, for thou shalt die and not live." Discuss how her sermon foreshadows what is to come.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)