|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says something about "wishing you'd leave the Lord's work to the Lord."?
2. Where is the pastor planning on going after the church service in Act 1?
3. What is played as the music prologue to Act I?
4. What type of set is used in "The Amen Corner"?
5. What reason does David give for not wanting to go to Philadelphia with his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the sacrifice offering in Act I for?
2. Why does Odessa lecture people in the church about the costs of operating a church in Act II?
3. Where did Brother Boxer see David early in Act II? What was David doing?
4. In Act II, what does David remember about the time right before he became separated from his father?
5. What is David's fear of staying with his mother in Act III?
6. Margaret makes all kinds of excuses as to why David might have drank liquor, including friends making fun of him, a girl, or his father. What was David's reason?
7. When Sister Moore asks if anyone needs special attention in the first scene, a young woman named Ida Jackson comes up. What does Ida Jackson want?
8. In Act II, what is Margaret's position about music in the church?
9. When Act III begins, what have Brother and Sister Boxer and Sister Moore been doing since Odessa last saw them?
10. How did Luke find Margaret in Act I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The church elders believe that Margaret is being hypocritical because she's not as holy and pure as she pretends to be. Discuss how the church elders are also being hypocritical.
Essay Topic 2
In speaking to Ida Jackson in the first act, Margaret says, "Maybe the Lord wants you to leave that man." Why do you think Margaret says this? Is she comparing Ida Jackson's situation to her own? Do you think Margaret is suggesting that God is making the baby sick to send a message? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
As pastor of a church, Margaret's ability to lead isn't questioned until Luke's return. In Act II, Brother Boxer even says, "She done forgot it ain't the woman supposed to lead, it's the man." What role does Margaret's marriage play in her ability to lead a church as pastor? Does her marriage make her less holy in the eyes of her congregation?
This section contains 1,608 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)