|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says something about "wishing you'd leave the Lord's work to the Lord."?
2. What scenery does the play open with?
3. The first spoken part of the play is from what character?
4. What is Brother Boxer's first name?
5. Who says, "Bring up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it"?
Short Essay Questions
1. David explains why he started playing piano in Act II. What was his explanation?
2. In Act II, what is Margaret's position about music in the church?
3. What unholy things does Margaret preach against in Act I, and why are they unholy?
4. What is the sacrifice offering in Act I for?
5. In Act II, Sister Moore reports that people are coming to the church because they want an accounting from the church elders. What is she referring to?
6. What are the three women talking about at the beginning of the second act?
7. What does Sister Sally have to say in Act II about traveling to Philadelphia?
8. Describe the opening of Act III.
9. Margaret compares the story of King Hezekiah's story to a possible situation of the congregation. What situation does she compare the biblical story to?
10. What advice does Luke give David about being a musician in Act II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the last act, Margaret is upset at the loudness coming from the church. After telling her that she always told them to praise the Lord with fervor, Brother Boxer asks Margaret, "Where's all your fervor done gone to, Sister Margaret?" Fervor is another word for passion. Compare and contrast the ideas about passion for the church and passion for another person in "The Amen Corner."
Essay Topic 2
Margaret makes a big deal that people can't be truly holy if their minds on other things like reading comics or driving liquor trucks as part of their job. What else in "The Amen Corner" is showed as something that keeps people from being holy?
Essay Topic 3
In speaking to Ida Jackson in the first act, Margaret says, "Maybe the Lord wants you to leave that man." Why do you think Margaret says this? Is she comparing Ida Jackson's situation to her own? Do you think Margaret is suggesting that God is making the baby sick to send a message? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,533 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)