|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two collection plates made of?
2. Who tries to talk with the pastor about nothing being wrong with Brother Boxer's job in Act I?
3. Who says, "Tell him to call on the Lord!"
4. How long has Luke been separated from his wife and son?
5. The rumor that Brother Boxer has heard is that Luke's father is sick with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act I, who do we discover left in the Alexander marriage?
2. In Act I, what is the story from Margaret's sermon?
3. Why does Margaret slap her son in Act III?
4. Why is Odessa so upset with the other church members in Act III?
5. Why does Margaret say "God don't like liars" in Act I?
6. In Act II, David tells his father about some guys coming to the church. What did both David and his mother think brought the men to the church?
7. As Margaret leaves for Philadelphia at the end of the first act, she shouts instructions for everyone. What are they?
8. What does Sister Sally have to say in Act II about traveling to Philadelphia?
9. In Act III, what does Margaret mean when she tells David that she's seen young men like him become the lowest of the low?
10. What jazz musicians does David compare his father to after confessing to listening to his records in Act II?
Essay Topic 1
In speaking to Ida Jackson in the first act, Margaret says, "Maybe the Lord wants you to leave that man." Why do you think Margaret says this? Is she comparing Ida Jackson's situation to her own? Do you think Margaret is suggesting that God is making the baby sick to send a message? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
As pastor of a church, Margaret's ability to lead isn't questioned until Luke's return. In Act II, Brother Boxer even says, "She done forgot it ain't the woman supposed to lead, it's the man." What role does Margaret's marriage play in her ability to lead a church as pastor? Does her marriage make her less holy in the eyes of her congregation?
Essay Topic 3
In the last act, Margaret is upset at the loudness coming from the church. After telling her that she always told them to praise the Lord with fervor, Brother Boxer asks Margaret, "Where's all your fervor done gone to, Sister Margaret?" Fervor is another word for passion. Compare and contrast the ideas about passion for the church and passion for another person in "The Amen Corner."
This section contains 1,644 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)