|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scenery does the play open with?
2. When does the first act take place?
3. When Sister Moore asks if there's anyone who needs "the Lord's especial attention," who comes forward?
4. How much does Sister Moore place in the offering basket in the first act?
5. Who's reportedly been keeping bad company in Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe David as he enters the apartment in Act III.
2. What signs are in Act I that Luke is sick?
3. Where did Brother Boxer see David early in Act II? What was David doing?
4. In Act II, what does the doctor not want Luke doing?
5. In Act I, who do we discover left in the Alexander marriage?
6. Describe the scene as Act II opens.
7. Describe Sister Douglass from Act II.
8. Margaret refuses to cancel her trip to Philadelphia even when it's obvious that Luke is ill. What is her reasoning?
9. Describe what you know about Sister Rice from Act II?
10. Why does Odessa lecture people in the church about the costs of operating a church in Act II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The new refrigerator is mentioned throughout the play. In particular, Brother Boxer focuses on it, starting with "This ain't no icebox, this is a Frigidaire." What does the refrigerator symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
Margaret makes a big deal that people can't be truly holy if their minds on other things like reading comics or driving liquor trucks as part of their job. What else in "The Amen Corner" is showed as something that keeps people from being holy?
Essay Topic 3
The church elders believe that Margaret is being hypocritical because she's not as holy and pure as she pretends to be. Discuss how the church elders are also being hypocritical.
This section contains 1,477 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)