|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Sister Moore place in the offering basket in the first act?
2. What happens when Luke starts to leave during Act I?
3. Who does the pastor plan on seeing in Philadelphia?
4. Who leaves the service to put coffee on during the first act?
5. Who calls Luke a "bad boy"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margaret demand that David turn off the music on the phonograph in Act II?
2. Why does Odessa refer to Sister Moore as "poor Sister Moore" in Act III?
3. What gossip concerning David does Brother Boxer share with his wife and Sister Moore in Act I?
4. Describe the Alexander home in the play.
5. According to Margaret in Act III, what does "amen" mean? Why is it significant?
6. What is David's fear of staying with his mother in Act III?
7. In Act II, what is Margaret's position about music in the church?
8. Why does Margaret say "God don't like liars" in Act I?
9. Why does Margaret want to take David with her to Philadelphia?
10. Describe Sister Douglass from Act II.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The new refrigerator is mentioned throughout the play. In particular, Brother Boxer focuses on it, starting with "This ain't no icebox, this is a Frigidaire." What does the refrigerator symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
In Act III, Margaret mentions carrying slops and scrubbing floors in asking "is that what I been slaving for all these long, hard years." Discuss the role of poverty in "The Amen Corner."
Essay Topic 3
The church elders believe that Margaret is being hypocritical because she's not as holy and pure as she pretends to be. Discuss how the church elders are also being hypocritical.
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)