|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was out late the night before the church service in the first act?
2. What is located stage right in the first act and throughout the play?
3. What reason does David give for not wanting to go to Philadelphia with his mother?
4. According to Luke, who goes digging for pork chops when she sees a man?
5. Who says, "Tell him to call on the Lord!"
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act II, Sister Moore reports that people are coming to the church because they want an accounting from the church elders. What is she referring to?
2. In Act II, Luke insists that he heard David playing piano one day during the week. How did he know?
3. Why does Margaret say "God don't like liars" in Act I?
4. Describe what you know about Sister Rice from Act II?
5. How does Margaret respond after Luke dies?
6. Why does Margaret demand that David turn off the music on the phonograph in Act II?
7. Why do Sister Boxer and Sister Moore come to church early in Act III?
8. What advice does Luke give David about being a musician in Act II?
9. In Act II, what does Brother Boxer say about what it cost him to go to Philadelphia when his wife was out of town?
10. What unholy things does Margaret preach against in Act I, and why are they unholy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the last act, Margaret is upset at the loudness coming from the church. After telling her that she always told them to praise the Lord with fervor, Brother Boxer asks Margaret, "Where's all your fervor done gone to, Sister Margaret?" Fervor is another word for passion. Compare and contrast the ideas about passion for the church and passion for another person in "The Amen Corner."
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters undergo change during "The Amen Corner." Yet Odessa stays consistent in her devotion to her sister and the church. Can you name another character who remains consistent in words and actions throughout the play? Cite examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In Act II, Luke tells his son that music is just a moment. Discuss what is most important in life, according to Luke.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)