|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Everyone tries to convince Margaret to stay to care for Luke instead of going out of town. What does she decide?
2. What reason does David give for not wanting to go to Philadelphia with his mother?
3. When does the first act take place?
4. What type of set is used in "The Amen Corner"?
5. When Luke appears in Act I, how long does he say he'll be in town for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Odessa refer to Sister Moore as "poor Sister Moore" in Act III?
2. In Act II, David tells his father about some guys coming to the church. What did both David and his mother think brought the men to the church?
3. What does Act II tell you about Sister Sally?
4. In Act I, who do we discover left in the Alexander marriage?
5. What unholy things does Margaret preach against in Act I, and why are they unholy?
6. How did Luke find Margaret in Act I?
7. What are the three women talking about at the beginning of the second act?
8. Describe the opening of Act III.
9. What is Odessa referring to when she tells Margaret that everything will be like a bad dream. What else might she be referring to?
10. In Act II, Sister Moore reports that people are coming to the church because they want an accounting from the church elders. What is she referring to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The two strongest female characters in "The Amen Corner" are Margaret and Sister Moore. Compare and contrast these two characters. How are they alike. How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters undergo change during "The Amen Corner." Yet Odessa stays consistent in her devotion to her sister and the church. Can you name another character who remains consistent in words and actions throughout the play? Cite examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is used during "The Amen Corner." Baldwin makes a point of saying that Ida Jackson is "not dressed in white" in Act I and that Sisters Moore and Boxer are dressed in white in the final act. Discuss the use of and meaning of the color white.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)