|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Tell him to call on the Lord!"
2. Which of the characters is the pastor as the play opens?
3. In the play, who claims to have left to get away from the stink of whiskey?
4. Who tries to talk with the pastor about nothing being wrong with Brother Boxer's job in Act I?
5. The first spoken part of the play is from what character?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act II, what does the doctor not want Luke doing?
2. When Sister Moore asks if anyone needs special attention in the first scene, a young woman named Ida Jackson comes up. What does Ida Jackson want?
3. In Act I, who do we discover left in the Alexander marriage?
4. As Margaret leaves for Philadelphia at the end of the first act, she shouts instructions for everyone. What are they?
5. In Act III, why is Brother Boxer disgusted with Margaret?
6. In Act II, what does David remember about the time right before he became separated from his father?
7. What happens before Luke dies in Act III?
8. Why does Margaret want to take David with her to Philadelphia?
9. What gossip concerning David does Brother Boxer share with his wife and Sister Moore in Act I?
10. How does David look when he first appears in Act II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting of the play is a church and home that join together. Why do you think the author did this? Was it just to make the scene setting easier as the action shifts from home to play or perhaps did Baldwin mean something more? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In the last act, Margaret is upset at the loudness coming from the church. After telling her that she always told them to praise the Lord with fervor, Brother Boxer asks Margaret, "Where's all your fervor done gone to, Sister Margaret?" Fervor is another word for passion. Compare and contrast the ideas about passion for the church and passion for another person in "The Amen Corner."
Essay Topic 3
In Act III, Margaret mentions carrying slops and scrubbing floors in asking "is that what I been slaving for all these long, hard years." Discuss the role of poverty in "The Amen Corner."
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)