|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the first act take place?
2. Who says, "Cat got your tongue, Maggie?"
3. The set for "The Amen Corner contains what components?
4. What sits on top of the piano in the church in the first scene?
5. According to Luke, who goes digging for pork chops when she sees a man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Margaret speaks of an old blind woman from her childhood in Act III. The woman used to greet everyone with "How you this Lord's-day morning" no matter what the day. Who is Margaret comparing the old blind woman to and why?
2. Margaret compares the story of King Hezekiah's story to a possible situation of the congregation. What situation does she compare the biblical story to?
3. What happens before Luke dies in Act III?
4. Why do Sister Boxer and Sister Moore come to church early in Act III?
5. When Sister Moore asks if anyone needs special attention in the first scene, a young woman named Ida Jackson comes up. What does Ida Jackson want?
6. In Act II, David tells his father about some guys coming to the church. What did both David and his mother think brought the men to the church?
7. Describe what you know about Sister Rice from Act II?
8. Why does Odessa lecture people in the church about the costs of operating a church in Act II?
9. What does Sister Sally have to say in Act II about traveling to Philadelphia?
10. In Act I, what is the story from Margaret's sermon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act III, Margaret mentions carrying slops and scrubbing floors in asking "is that what I been slaving for all these long, hard years." Discuss the role of poverty in "The Amen Corner."
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is used during "The Amen Corner." Baldwin makes a point of saying that Ida Jackson is "not dressed in white" in Act I and that Sisters Moore and Boxer are dressed in white in the final act. Discuss the use of and meaning of the color white.
Essay Topic 3
The new refrigerator is mentioned throughout the play. In particular, Brother Boxer focuses on it, starting with "This ain't no icebox, this is a Frigidaire." What does the refrigerator symbolize?
This section contains 1,629 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)