|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells David that he has a natural gift for music?
2. What type of set is used in "The Amen Corner"?
3. During the first act, Brother Boxer tell his wife and Sister Moore that he's heard that David's father is back in town. Where is David's father reportedly working?
4. What is played as the music prologue to Act I?
5. What reason does David give for not wanting to go to Philadelphia with his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't David want to go to Philadelphia?
2. In Act III, why is Brother Boxer disgusted with Margaret?
3. Why is Odessa so upset with the other church members in Act III?
4. Why does Odessa refer to Sister Moore as "poor Sister Moore" in Act III?
5. What unholy things does Margaret preach against in Act I, and why are they unholy?
6. Describe what Margaret sees when she first enters the church in Act III.
7. What is Odessa referring to when she tells Margaret that everything will be like a bad dream. What else might she be referring to?
8. Where did Brother Boxer see David early in Act II? What was David doing?
9. What does Sister Sally have to say in Act II about traveling to Philadelphia?
10. In Act II, what does the doctor not want Luke doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The two strongest female characters in "The Amen Corner" are Margaret and Sister Moore. Compare and contrast these two characters. How are they alike. How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
The church elders believe that Margaret is being hypocritical because she's not as holy and pure as she pretends to be. Discuss how the church elders are also being hypocritical.
Essay Topic 3
In speaking to Ida Jackson in the first act, Margaret says, "Maybe the Lord wants you to leave that man." Why do you think Margaret says this? Is she comparing Ida Jackson's situation to her own? Do you think Margaret is suggesting that God is making the baby sick to send a message? Explain your answer.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)