|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells David that he has a natural gift for music?
2. Who says that there "ain't no age in the Lord"?
3. What is the first thing that Margaret says when Luke walks into the apartment in Act i?
4. What is played as the music prologue to Act I?
5. What does David say when his father asks if his mother is a good pastor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sister Douglass from Act II.
2. Margaret speaks of an old blind woman from her childhood in Act III. The woman used to greet everyone with "How you this Lord's-day morning" no matter what the day. Who is Margaret comparing the old blind woman to and why?
3. Why does Margaret say "God don't like liars" in Act I?
4. What happens before Luke dies in Act III?
5. Odessa tries to convince Margaret to return to church in Act III and win back her congregation, but Margaret says she can't. Why?
6. Describe what you know about Sister Rice from Act II?
7. Describe what Margaret sees when she first enters the church in Act III.
8. What are the three women talking about at the beginning of the second act?
9. In Act I, we learn that Margaret will be leaving after the service to visit a sister church in Philadelphia. What is the purpose of her trip.
10. In Act I, what do we know about Ida Jackson's husband, who isn't with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David is presented with a choice, to be religious and work in the church like his mother, or to play music and be sinful like his father. Are these David's only choices in life? Sum up David's dilemma in your own words and explain what you think he should do.
Essay Topic 2
In the last act, Margaret is upset at the loudness coming from the church. After telling her that she always told them to praise the Lord with fervor, Brother Boxer asks Margaret, "Where's all your fervor done gone to, Sister Margaret?" Fervor is another word for passion. Compare and contrast the ideas about passion for the church and passion for another person in "The Amen Corner."
Essay Topic 3
The church elders believe that Margaret is being hypocritical because she's not as holy and pure as she pretends to be. Discuss how the church elders are also being hypocritical.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)