Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the play, who claims to have left to get away from the stink of whiskey?
2. Who says something about "wishing you'd leave the Lord's work to the Lord."?
3. Everyone tries to convince Margaret to stay to care for Luke instead of going out of town. What does she decide?
4. Who says, "Tell him to call on the Lord!"
5. Where is the pastor planning on going after the church service in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margaret demand that David turn off the music on the phonograph in Act II?
2. In Act II, Sister Moore reports that people are coming to the church because they want an accounting from the church elders. What is she referring to?
3. Why does Margaret want to take David with her to Philadelphia?
4. What is a "shout" song mentioned in "The Amen Corner"?
5. Describe what Margaret sees when she first enters the church in Act III.
6. Why does Odessa lecture people in the church about the costs of operating a church in Act II?
7. In Act II, what does David remember about the time right before he became separated from his father?
8. Why is Ida Jackson distraught at the beginning of Act III?
9. Margaret makes all kinds of excuses as to why David might have drank liquor, including friends making fun of him, a girl, or his father. What was David's reason?
10. What does Act II tell you about Sister Sally?
Essay Topic 1
As pastor of a church, Margaret's ability to lead isn't questioned until Luke's return. In Act II, Brother Boxer even says, "She done forgot it ain't the woman supposed to lead, it's the man." What role does Margaret's marriage play in her ability to lead a church as pastor? Does her marriage make her less holy in the eyes of her congregation?
Essay Topic 2
Hymns are used throughout "The Amen Corner." When the church elders begin plans to remove Margaret from the pulpit, Sister Moore sings "You can run on for a long time, I tell you the great God Almighty gonna cut you down." Discuss the role of music in "The Amen Corner."
Essay Topic 3
Much is made about David following in his father's footsteps as they both want music as their career. Do you think that David will end up like his father? Why or why not? Support your answers.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)