Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the play, who claims to have left to get away from the stink of whiskey?
2. Who says something about "wishing you'd leave the Lord's work to the Lord."?
3. Everyone tries to convince Margaret to stay to care for Luke instead of going out of town. What does she decide?
4. Who says, "Tell him to call on the Lord!"
5. Where is the pastor planning on going after the church service in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margaret demand that David turn off the music on the phonograph in Act II?
2. In Act II, Sister Moore reports that people are coming to the church because they want an accounting from the church elders. What is she referring to?
3. Why does Margaret want to take David with her to Philadelphia?
4. What is a "shout" song mentioned in "The Amen Corner"?
5. Describe what Margaret sees when she first enters the church in Act III.
6. Why does Odessa lecture people in the church about the costs of operating a church in Act II?
7. In Act II, what does David remember about the time right before he became separated from his father?
8. Why is Ida Jackson distraught at the beginning of Act III?
9. Margaret makes all kinds of excuses as to why David might have drank liquor, including friends making fun of him, a girl, or his father. What was David's reason?
10. What does Act II tell you about Sister Sally?
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is used during "The Amen Corner." Baldwin makes a point of saying that Ida Jackson is "not dressed in white" in Act I and that Sisters Moore and Boxer are dressed in white in the final act. Discuss the use of and meaning of the color white.
Essay Topic 2
The new refrigerator is mentioned throughout the play. In particular, Brother Boxer focuses on it, starting with "This ain't no icebox, this is a Frigidaire." What does the refrigerator symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Much is made about David following in his father's footsteps as they both want music as their career. Do you think that David will end up like his father? Why or why not? Support your answers.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)