|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The rumor that Brother Boxer has heard is that Luke's father is sick with what?
2. Who calls Luke a "bad boy"?
3. What is located stage right in the first act and throughout the play?
4. During the first act, Brother Boxer tell his wife and Sister Moore that he's heard that David's father is back in town. Where is David's father reportedly working?
5. How long has Luke been separated from his wife and son?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act II, what is Margaret's position about music in the church?
2. What is the sacrifice offering in Act I for?
3. What is Odessa referring to when she tells Margaret that everything will be like a bad dream. What else might she be referring to?
4. What do we know about Mrs. Jackson's baby by Act III?
5. What gossip concerning David does Brother Boxer share with his wife and Sister Moore in Act I?
6. In Act II, what does the doctor not want Luke doing?
7. In Act III, what does Margaret mean when she tells David that she's seen young men like him become the lowest of the low?
8. What signs are in Act I that Luke is sick?
9. Why does Margaret slap her son in Act III?
10. Explain the layout of Sister Margaret Alexander's home and the church and their relationship to each other in this play. Be sure to define any theatrical terms.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James Baldwin is noted for writing about African American issues during his lifetime. Although his characters in "The Amen Corner" are African American, the central theme is religion. During Act III, Margaret tells her son about "boys like you down home" and that "I seen them go down." She presents religion to her son as a way to escape this path. Do you believe Baldwin wrote about African American issues in this scene or others in "The Amen Corner"? Give examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Hymns are used throughout "The Amen Corner." When the church elders begin plans to remove Margaret from the pulpit, Sister Moore sings "You can run on for a long time, I tell you the great God Almighty gonna cut you down." Discuss the role of music in "The Amen Corner."
Essay Topic 3
As pastor of a church, Margaret's ability to lead isn't questioned until Luke's return. In Act II, Brother Boxer even says, "She done forgot it ain't the woman supposed to lead, it's the man." What role does Margaret's marriage play in her ability to lead a church as pastor? Does her marriage make her less holy in the eyes of her congregation?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)