|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the pastor suggest as a substitute piano player for the church service?
2. When the congregation sings loudly and claps hands and shakes tambourines, this is called what kind of song?
3. During Act I, two people say "God doesn't like liars." Who were they?
4. Approximately how much suggested time takes place during Act I?
5. When Luke appears in Act I, how long does he say he'll be in town for?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Margaret leaves for Philadelphia at the end of the first act, she shouts instructions for everyone. What are they?
2. What gossip concerning David does Brother Boxer share with his wife and Sister Moore in Act I?
3. Margaret makes all kinds of excuses as to why David might have drank liquor, including friends making fun of him, a girl, or his father. What was David's reason?
4. Explain the layout of Sister Margaret Alexander's home and the church and their relationship to each other in this play. Be sure to define any theatrical terms.
5. Why is Odessa so upset with the other church members in Act III?
6. How does David look when he first appears in Act II?
7. In Act II, Sister Moore reports that people are coming to the church because they want an accounting from the church elders. What is she referring to?
8. What does Act II tell you about Sister Sally?
9. What unholy things does Margaret preach against in Act I, and why are they unholy?
10. Why does Margaret demand that David turn off the music on the phonograph in Act II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The two strongest female characters in "The Amen Corner" are Margaret and Sister Moore. Compare and contrast these two characters. How are they alike. How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
In the first act, Margaret preaches on "Set thine house in order, for thou shalt die and not live." Discuss how her sermon foreshadows what is to come.
Essay Topic 3
In the last act, Margaret is upset at the loudness coming from the church. After telling her that she always told them to praise the Lord with fervor, Brother Boxer asks Margaret, "Where's all your fervor done gone to, Sister Margaret?" Fervor is another word for passion. Compare and contrast the ideas about passion for the church and passion for another person in "The Amen Corner."
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)