|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose bedroom is mentioned from the beginning of Act I?
2. What reason does David give for not wanting to go to Philadelphia with his mother?
(a) He doesn't like Philadelphia.
(b) He has a cold starting.
(c) He doesn't want to miss playing the guitar in church.
(d) He doesn't want to miss music school.
3. The first spoken part of the play is from what character?
(a) Sister Moore.
(c) Sister Boxer.
4. What is the first thing that Margaret says when Luke walks into the apartment in Act i?
(b) "I'm so glad to see you."
(c) "What are you doing here?"
(d) "Get out."
5. How much does Sister Moore place in the offering basket in the first act?
(a) Two dollars.
(b) Five dollars.
(c) A dollar.
(d) Fifty cents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says something about "wishing you'd leave the Lord's work to the Lord."?
2. Where is the pastor planning on going after the church service in Act 1?
3. Who refers to the home/church as a Holy Ghost station during the first act?
4. How did Luke know where to find Margaret?
5. In the sermon in the first act, who does the pastor say that King Hezekiah called on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Margaret makes all kinds of excuses as to why David might have drank liquor, including friends making fun of him, a girl, or his father. What was David's reason?
2. Where did Brother Boxer see David early in Act II? What was David doing?
3. In Act II, David tells his father about some guys coming to the church. What did both David and his mother think brought the men to the church?
4. How does Margaret respond after Luke dies?
5. Why doesn't David want to go to Philadelphia?
6. What happens before Luke dies in Act III?
7. In Act II, what does Brother Boxer say about what it cost him to go to Philadelphia when his wife was out of town?
8. Why do Sister Boxer and Sister Moore come to church early in Act III?
9. When Sister Moore asks if anyone needs special attention in the first scene, a young woman named Ida Jackson comes up. What does Ida Jackson want?
10. In Act II, Sister Moore reports that people are coming to the church because they want an accounting from the church elders. What is she referring to?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)