|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What scenery does the play open with?
(a) A street scene.
(b) The scrim wall of the tenement.
(c) The church.
(d) The kitchen.
2. Who is it that appears in the alley before the pastor leaves on a trip?
(a) Mother Phillips.
(b) Elder Johnson.
(d) Ida Jackson.
3. Why is everyone silent when Sisters Moore and Boxer finish singing in Act I?
(a) Everyone has left the apartment.
(b) Luke walks in the apartment.
(c) Everyone's head is bowed while they pray.
(d) The first act has ended.
4. What is played as the music prologue to Act I?
(a) "I Laid My Burdens Down."
(b) "If Jesus Had to Pray, What About Me?"
(c) "I Got the Holy Spirit."
(d) "The Blues is Man."
5. Who says, "Tell him to call on the Lord!"
(c) Brother Boxer.
(d) Sister Boxer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is located stage right in the first act and throughout the play?
2. Which of the characters is the pastor as the play opens?
3. Who leaves the service to put coffee on during the first act?
4. Everyone tries to convince Margaret to stay to care for Luke instead of going out of town. What does she decide?
5. Who says, "Cat got your tongue, Maggie?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David look when he first appears in Act II?
2. David explains why he started playing piano in Act II. What was his explanation?
3. In Act II, what does David remember about the time right before he became separated from his father?
4. Why does Margaret demand that David turn off the music on the phonograph in Act II?
5. What do we know about Mrs. Jackson's baby by Act III?
6. Explain the layout of Sister Margaret Alexander's home and the church and their relationship to each other in this play. Be sure to define any theatrical terms.
7. What gossip concerning David does Brother Boxer share with his wife and Sister Moore in Act I?
8. When Act III begins, what have Brother and Sister Boxer and Sister Moore been doing since Odessa last saw them?
9. What happens before Luke dies in Act III?
10. Why does Margaret slap her son in Act III?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)