|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Margaret and Odessa that they look "almost like two young girls this morning."
(b) Brother Boxer.
(c) Brother James.
2. Everyone tries to convince Margaret to stay to care for Luke instead of going out of town. What does she decide?
(a) Margaret decides to go on her trip.
(b) Margaret calls and cancels her trip.
(c) Margaret sends Sister Moore in her place.
(d) Margaret decides to postpone her trip for a couple of days.
3. Who was out late the night before the church service in the first act?
4. Where is the pastor planning on going after the church service in Act 1?
5. During the first act, Brother Boxer tell his wife and Sister Moore that he's heard that David's father is back in town. Where is David's father reportedly working?
(a) Jazz club.
(b) Driving a bus.
(c) Blues club.
(d) At another church.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the play, who claims to have left to get away from the stink of whiskey?
2. Who says, "Bring up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it"?
3. Who's supposed to send a telegram if anything happens to Luke during "The Amen Corner."
4. Who says, "Tell him to call on the Lord!"
5. When the congregation sings loudly and claps hands and shakes tambourines, this is called what kind of song?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Act II tell you about Sister Sally?
2. What advice does Luke give David about being a musician in Act II?
3. Describe David as he enters the apartment in Act III.
4. Margaret makes all kinds of excuses as to why David might have drank liquor, including friends making fun of him, a girl, or his father. What was David's reason?
5. Where did Brother Boxer see David early in Act II? What was David doing?
6. Why does Margaret slap her son in Act III?
7. Explain the layout of Sister Margaret Alexander's home and the church and their relationship to each other in this play. Be sure to define any theatrical terms.
8. In Act III, why is Brother Boxer disgusted with Margaret?
9. Why does Margaret demand that David turn off the music on the phonograph in Act II?
10. Odessa tries to convince Margaret to return to church in Act III and win back her congregation, but Margaret says she can't. Why?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)