|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is located stage left in "The Amen Corner"?
(a) The streent.
(b) The apartment.
(c) An office building.
(d) The church.
2. How much does Sister Moore place in the offering basket in the first act?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) A dollar.
(c) Two dollars.
(d) Fifty cents.
3. What are the two collection plates made of?
(a) Both are made of brass.
(b) One is made of brass, and the other straw.
(c) One is made of glass, and the other from brass.
(d) Both are made of straw.
4. Why is everyone silent when Sisters Moore and Boxer finish singing in Act I?
(a) Everyone's head is bowed while they pray.
(b) The first act has ended.
(c) Everyone has left the apartment.
(d) Luke walks in the apartment.
5. Where does the play, "The Amen Corner," take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Margaret and Odessa that they look "almost like two young girls this morning."
2. Who refers to the home/church as a Holy Ghost station during the first act?
3. What sits on top of the piano in the church in the first scene?
4. Who tries to talk with the pastor about nothing being wrong with Brother Boxer's job in Act I?
5. Who does the pastor suggest as a substitute piano player for the church service?
Short Essay Questions
1. David explains why he started playing piano in Act II. What was his explanation?
2. Why does Margaret want to take David with her to Philadelphia?
3. Describe the opening of Act III.
4. Why does Margaret demand that David turn off the music on the phonograph in Act II?
5. Where did Brother Boxer see David early in Act II? What was David doing?
6. Margaret refuses to cancel her trip to Philadelphia even when it's obvious that Luke is ill. What is her reasoning?
7. Margaret compares the story of King Hezekiah's story to a possible situation of the congregation. What situation does she compare the biblical story to?
8. When Act III begins, what have Brother and Sister Boxer and Sister Moore been doing since Odessa last saw them?
9. Explain the layout of Sister Margaret Alexander's home and the church and their relationship to each other in this play. Be sure to define any theatrical terms.
10. Why do Sister Boxer and Sister Moore come to church early in Act III?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)