|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "Cat got your tongue, Maggie?"
(a) Sister Moore.
(b) Brother Boxer.
2. Who says, "Tell him to call on the Lord!"
(b) Sister Boxer.
(c) Brother Boxer.
3. Who says something about "wishing you'd leave the Lord's work to the Lord."?
4. Who is in his grave, according to Sister Boxer in the first act?
(a) Elder King.
(b) Brother Alexander.
(c) Brother Washington.
(d) Elder Smith.
5. In the play, who claims to have left to get away from the stink of whiskey?
(d) Sister Moore.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Sister Moore place in the offering basket in the first act?
2. In the sermon in the first act, who does the pastor say that King Hezekiah called on?
3. When the congregation sings loudly and claps hands and shakes tambourines, this is called what kind of song?
4. What is Brother Boxer's first name?
5. Who refers to the home/church as a Holy Ghost station during the first act?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Alexander home in the play.
2. What is a "shout" song mentioned in "The Amen Corner"?
3. Describe what you know about Sister Rice from Act II?
4. Why does Margaret demand that David turn off the music on the phonograph in Act II?
5. Describe the scene as Act II opens.
6. Why does Margaret slap her son in Act III?
7. In Act I, what is the story from Margaret's sermon?
8. What are the three women talking about at the beginning of the second act?
9. In Act II, David tells his father about some guys coming to the church. What did both David and his mother think brought the men to the church?
10. Odessa tries to convince Margaret to return to church in Act III and win back her congregation, but Margaret says she can't. Why?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)