|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Sister Moore asks if there's anyone who needs "the Lord's especial attention," who comes forward?
(a) Ida Jackson.
(b) Luke Alexander.
2. Who refers to the home/church as a Holy Ghost station during the first act?
(b) Sister Moore.
(c) Brother Boxer.
(d) Sister Boxer.
3. Who's supposed to send a telegram if anything happens to Luke during "The Amen Corner."
(a) Sister Boxer.
(b) Sister Moore.
4. Who says, "Bring up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it"?
(b) Sister Boxer.
(c) Sister Moore.
5. What scenery does the play open with?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) A street scene.
(c) The scrim wall of the tenement.
(d) The church.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the first act take place?
2. Whose bedroom is mentioned from the beginning of Act I?
3. Who went downtown and saw Luke the night before the first scene?
4. The person who comes forward at the end of the sermon is carrying what?
5. Who is in his grave, according to Sister Boxer in the first act?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sister Douglass from Act II.
2. Margaret speaks of an old blind woman from her childhood in Act III. The woman used to greet everyone with "How you this Lord's-day morning" no matter what the day. Who is Margaret comparing the old blind woman to and why?
3. What advice does Luke give David about being a musician in Act II?
4. In Act II, Sister Moore reports that people are coming to the church because they want an accounting from the church elders. What is she referring to?
5. What unholy things does Margaret preach against in Act I, and why are they unholy?
6. Where did Brother Boxer see David early in Act II? What was David doing?
7. In Act II, what is Margaret's position about music in the church?
8. In Act II, Luke insists that he heard David playing piano one day during the week. How did he know?
9. Describe the scene as Act II opens.
10. Why do Sister Boxer and Sister Moore come to church early in Act III?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)