|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is located stage right in the first act and throughout the play?
(a) The living room.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The church.
(d) A bedroom.
2. How much does Sister Moore place in the offering basket in the first act?
(a) Fifty cents.
(b) Two dollars.
(c) A dollar.
(d) Five dollars.
3. Everyone tries to convince Margaret to stay to care for Luke instead of going out of town. What does she decide?
(a) Margaret decides to go on her trip.
(b) Margaret sends Sister Moore in her place.
(c) Margaret calls and cancels her trip.
(d) Margaret decides to postpone her trip for a couple of days.
4. Who says something about "wishing you'd leave the Lord's work to the Lord."?
5. The set for "The Amen Corner contains what components?
(a) Home and church.
(b) A church and outside a church.
(c) Living room and bedroom.
(d) Inside and outside of a house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Luke know where to find Margaret?
2. What does David say when his father asks if his mother is a good pastor?
3. What is played as the music prologue to Act I?
4. Where is the pastor planning on going after the church service in Act 1?
5. Approximately how much suggested time takes place during Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Odessa lecture people in the church about the costs of operating a church in Act II?
2. What does Act II tell you about Sister Sally?
3. In Act I, what do we know about Ida Jackson's husband, who isn't with her?
4. Why does Odessa refer to Sister Moore as "poor Sister Moore" in Act III?
5. Why does Margaret say "God don't like liars" in Act I?
6. In Act II, Luke insists that he heard David playing piano one day during the week. How did he know?
7. Explain the layout of Sister Margaret Alexander's home and the church and their relationship to each other in this play. Be sure to define any theatrical terms.
8. In Act I, who do we discover left in the Alexander marriage?
9. When Act III begins, what have Brother and Sister Boxer and Sister Moore been doing since Odessa last saw them?
10. Why does Margaret want to take David with her to Philadelphia?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)