|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the pastor's first act sermon, what is an example of an activity one does when one's "mind ain't on the Lord"?
(a) Reading the funny papers.
(b) Going out.
(c) Washing cocktail glasses.
(d) Listening to music.
2. Who says something about "wishing you'd leave the Lord's work to the Lord."?
3. Who is it that appears in the alley before the pastor leaves on a trip?
(a) Elder Johnson.
(b) Mother Phillips.
(c) Ida Jackson.
4. What does David say when his father asks if his mother is a good pastor?
(a) "Good pastor."
(b) David remains silent.
(c) " don't know."
5. Where is the pastor planning on going after the church service in Act 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Luke, who goes digging for pork chops when she sees a man?
2. How much does Sister Moore place in the offering basket in the first act?
3. How long has Luke been separated from his wife and son?
4. Before the curtain rises in the first act, there are street sounds including laughter, cursing, and a radio. What other sound is heard?
5. How old is David?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Alexander home in the play.
2. What does Sister Sally have to say in Act II about traveling to Philadelphia?
3. When Act III begins, what have Brother and Sister Boxer and Sister Moore been doing since Odessa last saw them?
4. What does Act II tell you about Sister Sally?
5. Why is Ida Jackson distraught at the beginning of Act III?
6. What advice does Luke give David about being a musician in Act II?
7. In Act II, what does the doctor not want Luke doing?
8. Margaret speaks of an old blind woman from her childhood in Act III. The woman used to greet everyone with "How you this Lord's-day morning" no matter what the day. Who is Margaret comparing the old blind woman to and why?
9. In Act II, David tells his father about some guys coming to the church. What did both David and his mother think brought the men to the church?
10. Describe what you know about Sister Rice from Act II?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)