|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is in his grave, according to Sister Boxer in the first act?
(a) Elder King.
(b) Brother Alexander.
(c) Brother Washington.
(d) Elder Smith.
2. What happens when Luke starts to leave during Act I?
(a) Luke begins uncontrollable coughing.
(b) Luke falls against the table.
(c) Margaret starts crying.
(d) David asks him not to go.
3. Who says, "Tell him to call on the Lord!"
(b) Sister Boxer.
(c) Brother Boxer.
4. The first spoken part of the play is from what character?
(a) Sister Moore.
(d) Sister Boxer.
5. Who's supposed to send a telegram if anything happens to Luke during "The Amen Corner."
(a) Sister Moore.
(c) Sister Boxer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Luke been separated from his wife and son?
2. How old is David?
3. What is located stage left in "The Amen Corner"?
4. Who tells Margaret and Odessa that they look "almost like two young girls this morning."
5. What sits on top of the piano in the church in the first scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what you know about Sister Rice from Act II?
2. Describe the church in "The Amen Corner."
3. In Act II, what does David remember about the time right before he became separated from his father?
4. In Act III, why is Brother Boxer disgusted with Margaret?
5. Why is Ida Jackson distraught at the beginning of Act III?
6. Why does Odessa lecture people in the church about the costs of operating a church in Act II?
7. In Act II, what is Margaret's position about music in the church?
8. What signs are in Act I that Luke is sick?
9. What jazz musicians does David compare his father to after confessing to listening to his records in Act II?
10. What is Odessa referring to when she tells Margaret that everything will be like a bad dream. What else might she be referring to?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)