|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Three women are in the kitchen when Act II begins. Who else is in the scene?
(b) Brother Boxer.
2. Who are Odessa and Sisters Moore and Boxer talking about when Act II opens?
(c) Ida Jackson.
3. Who is laid in the churchyard that Margaret refers to in Act II?
(a) David's brother.
(b) Baby daughter.
(c) A pastor friend.
(d) Margaret's mother.
4. Where is Bishop Williams' church located?
(a) 51st Street.
(b) 63rd Avenue.
(c) 145th Street.
(d) Next to Central Park.
5. What concern does Sister Sally bring up to the others during Act II?
(a) Why the pastor hadn't visited a sick parishoner.
(b) Why David hasn't been in church.
(c) Why they can't move to a better building.
(d) Why they had to pay so much for a window.
6. What does Margaret plan for David to do with his life?
(a) Become a pastor.
(b) Become anything but a musician.
(c) Become a doctor.
(d) Become a teacher.
7. What scares David about being a musician?
(a) That he'll end up like his father.
(b) That he'll never make money.
(c) That he won't have family.
(d) That he won't be good enough.
8. In Act II, what does Luke call the baby the he and his wife lost?
9. In Act II, how much did Brother Boxer say that it cost him to go to Philadelphia?
(a) Three or four dollars.
(b) Ten dollars.
(c) Forty dollars.
(d) Twenty-five dollars.
10. What did Odessa do to buy the household item in question?
(a) Scrubbed white folks' floors.
(b) Secretarial work.
(c) Cooked for people.
(d) Took care of other peoples' children.
11. According to Luke, when did Margaret "find the Lord"?
(a) After she kicked him out of the house.
(b) After her wedding to Luke.
(c) After having a stillborn child.
(d) After David was born.
12. What is on the record album that David is playing?
(a) Luke playing trombone.
(b) David playing piano.
(c) Dizzy Gillespie.
(d) Luke playing trumpet.
13. Who mentions a "heart black with sorrow" in Act II?
(a) Sister Moore.
(c) Sister Boxer.
14. In Act II, Margaret is asked how she returned home from Philadelphia. Her answer was what?
(a) Received a ride from someone.
(b) Flew in an airplane.
(c) Rode the train.
(d) Rode the bus.
15. What time of day is it when Act II begins?
(b) Early morning.
(c) Late evening.
(d) Late afternoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II, we learn that it cost how much to get a specific window painted?
2. Who is the first to begin singing in Act II?
3. In talking about the events that occurred ten years ago, Luke says that they were cursed for what reason?
4. What sound interrupts the argument in the church during Act II?
5. When the characters who were talking in the kitchen at the beginning of Act II exit to the church, who comes into the home?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)