|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Three women are in the kitchen when Act II begins. Who else is in the scene?
(b) Brother Boxer.
2. Who enters the church during the last line of a song in Act II?
(a) Ida Jackson.
3. Who is the "funny, fast-talking, fiery" person mentioned in Act II?
(a) David as a child.
(b) The new Margaret.
(c) David as an adult.
(d) The old Margaret.
4. Act II takes place how many days later than Act I?
5. What musicians does David compare his father to in Act II?
(a) Louis Armstrong and John Coltrane.
(b) Miles Davis and Jellyroll Morton.
(c) John Coltrane and Charlie Parker.
(d) Jellyroll Morton and Louis Armstrong.
6. Who says, "The whole world just get to be a great big empty basin"?
(a) Sister Boxer.
(d) Brother Boxer.
7. What scares David about being a musician?
(a) That he'll end up like his father.
(b) That he'll never make money.
(c) That he won't be good enough.
(d) That he won't have family.
8. What instrument did Luke make a living playing?
9. In Act II, Margaret is asked how she returned home from Philadelphia. Her answer was what?
(a) Received a ride from someone.
(b) Rode the bus.
(c) Flew in an airplane.
(d) Rode the train.
10. Who says, "The way that box is going, you wouldn't of hear the Holy Ghost come in"?
(a) Brother Boxer.
(d) Sister Moore.
11. In Act II, when does David say that he stopped believing?
(a) When he started lying to his mother.
(b) When he started going to music school.
(c) When he turned 18.
(d) When some men approached him about playing music.
12. In Act II, how much did Brother Boxer say that it cost him to go to Philadelphia?
(a) Ten dollars.
(b) Forty dollars.
(c) Twenty-five dollars.
(d) Three or four dollars.
13. In Act II, we learn that it cost how much to get a specific window painted?
14. Where was David seen talking to a white horn player?
(a) Wall Street.
(c) 125th Street.
(d) 51st Street.
15. When the characters who were talking in the kitchen at the beginning of Act II exit to the church, who comes into the home?
(a) A thief.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II, which character mentioned going to Philadelphia with her husband, Herman?
2. In Act II, who says that it's the man who's supposed to lead, not the woman?
3. What character brings up the costs of operating a church during Act II?
4. Who's the last character to speak in Act II?
5. Why didn't David know much about his father's musical career?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)