|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act II, when does David say that he stopped believing?
(a) When he turned 18.
(b) When some men approached him about playing music.
(c) When he started lying to his mother.
(d) When he started going to music school.
2. In Act II, how much did Brother Boxer say that it cost him to go to Philadelphia?
(a) Twenty-five dollars.
(b) Three or four dollars.
(c) Ten dollars.
(d) Forty dollars.
3. What hope did Luke reveal to David during Act II?
(a) That Luke would have grandchildren.
(b) That they would travel together.
(c) That they would live together again.
(d) That they would play music together.
4. Three women are in the kitchen when Act II begins. Who else is in the scene?
(a) Brother Boxer.
5. In Act II, Sister Moore suggests that Margaret has engaged in another wrongdoing. What is this wrongdoing?
(b) Going out with men.
(c) Drinking alcohol.
(d) Stealing money from the congregation.
6. What character brings up the costs of operating a church during Act II?
(c) Sister Moore.
(d) Sister Douglass.
7. Who is the "funny, fast-talking, fiery" person mentioned in Act II?
(a) The new Margaret.
(b) David as an adult.
(c) The old Margaret.
(d) David as a child.
8. What musicians does David compare his father to in Act II?
(a) Louis Armstrong and John Coltrane.
(b) Miles Davis and Jellyroll Morton.
(c) Jellyroll Morton and Louis Armstrong.
(d) John Coltrane and Charlie Parker.
9. Who is the first to begin singing in Act II?
(a) Sister Moore.
(b) Sister Rice.
(d) Sister Boxer.
10. Who says in Act II, "The way that box is going, you wouldn't of hear the Holy Ghost come in"?
(b) Sister Moore.
(c) Sister Boxer.
11. Who is laid in the churchyard that Margaret refers to in Act II?
(a) Baby daughter.
(b) David's brother.
(c) Margaret's mother.
(d) A pastor friend.
12. Who enters the church during the last line of a song in Act II?
(d) Ida Jackson.
13. In Act II, which character mentioned going to Philadelphia with her husband, Herman?
(a) Sister Rice.
(b) Sister Sally.
(c) Sister Douglass.
(d) Ida Jackson.
14. In Act II, what does Luke call the baby the he and his wife lost?
15. What concern does Sister Sally bring up to the others during Act II?
(a) Why they had to pay so much for a window.
(b) Why David hasn't been in church.
(c) Why the pastor hadn't visited a sick parishoner.
(d) Why they can't move to a better building.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke remove from his pajama pocket in Act II?
2. When the characters who were talking in the kitchen at the beginning of Act II exit to the church, who comes into the home?
3. What instrument did Luke make a living playing?
4. When Margaret returns from her trip in Act II, where does she go first?
5. Luke thinks Margaret is treating David like he's how old in Act II?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)