|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of day is it when Act II begins?
(a) Late afternoon.
(c) Early morning.
(d) Late evening.
2. What character brings up the costs of operating a church during Act II?
(a) Sister Douglass.
(d) Sister Moore.
3. Why didn't David know much about his father's musical career?
(a) David thought his father was dead.
(b) David didn't know his father was a musician.
(c) David didn't have a phonograph to listen to his records.
(d) David thought his father was in jail.
4. Who defends Margaret to the others in Act II?
(c) Sister Moore.
5. Three women are in the kitchen when Act II begins. Who else is in the scene?
(d) Brother Boxer.
6. Who says, "I'm bearing witness to the truth" in Act II.
(a) Sister Boxer.
(d) Sister Moore.
7. Who is laid in the churchyard that Margaret refers to in Act II?
(a) David's brother.
(b) Margaret's mother.
(c) A pastor friend.
(d) Baby daughter.
8. What instrument did Luke make a living playing?
9. What does Margaret plan for David to do with his life?
(a) Become a doctor.
(b) Become anything but a musician.
(c) Become a pastor.
(d) Become a teacher.
10. What scares David about being a musician?
(a) That he won't be good enough.
(b) That he'll never make money.
(c) That he'll end up like his father.
(d) That he won't have family.
11. What does Margaret accuse David and Luke of in Act II?
(a) Sinning by not going to church.
(b) Sinning by playing music.
(c) David leading Luke away from the Word.
(d) Luke leading David away from the Word.
12. Who says, "The whole world just get to be a great big empty basin"?
(a) Brother Boxer.
(b) Sister Boxer.
13. In Act II, what does Luke call the baby the he and his wife lost?
14. In Act II Sister Boxer and Margaret argue about the difference between having trumpets and drums in church and what?
(a) Pianos in nightclubs.
(b) Using offering money to travel.
(c) Margaret leaving her husband.
(d) Brother Boxer driving a liquor truck so he can contribute more money.
15. What musicians does David compare his father to in Act II?
(a) Jellyroll Morton and Louis Armstrong.
(b) Miles Davis and Jellyroll Morton.
(c) Louis Armstrong and John Coltrane.
(d) John Coltrane and Charlie Parker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "The way that box is going, you wouldn't of hear the Holy Ghost come in"?
2. In Act II, when does David say that he stopped believing?
3. Who says, "Ain't a soul been born infallible"?
4. Who mentions a "heart black with sorrow" in Act II?
5. Who asks if drums and trumpets in church isn't worldly?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)