|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Brother Boxer says, "But he got trumpets or some kind of horn in his blood," who is he referring to?
(a) Brother Stanley.
(b) A Philadelphia church member.
2. Odessa encourages Margaret to return to the church towards the end of Act II for what reason?
(a) To attend a business meeting.
(b) To see an upset parishioner.
(c) To pray for Luke.
(d) To prepare her sermon.
3. Who cries in Act II?
4. According to Brother Boxer in Act II, where has David been spending time?
(a) In church.
(b) At school.
(c) In bars.
(d) On the street.
5. What musicians does David compare his father to in Act II?
(a) Miles Davis and Jellyroll Morton.
(b) Louis Armstrong and John Coltrane.
(c) Jellyroll Morton and Louis Armstrong.
(d) John Coltrane and Charlie Parker.
6. Who is laid in the churchyard that Margaret refers to in Act II?
(a) Margaret's mother.
(b) A pastor friend.
(c) David's brother.
(d) Baby daughter.
7. What does Margaret plan for David to do with his life?
(a) Become a pastor.
(b) Become a doctor.
(c) Become anything but a musician.
(d) Become a teacher.
8. How much was the offering for the pastor's trip to Philadelphia?
9. According to Luke, when did Margaret "find the Lord"?
(a) After David was born.
(b) After she kicked him out of the house.
(c) After her wedding to Luke.
(d) After having a stillborn child.
10. Who says, "You play piano like I dreamed you would" to David in Act II?
(b) Brother Boxer.
11. Who enters the church during the last line of a song in Act II?
(b) Ida Jackson.
12. Where is Bishop Williams' church located?
(a) 51st Street.
(b) Next to Central Park.
(c) 145th Street.
(d) 63rd Avenue.
13. In Act II, when does David say that he stopped believing?
(a) When he started lying to his mother.
(b) When some men approached him about playing music.
(c) When he turned 18.
(d) When he started going to music school.
14. In Act II, who says that it's the man who's supposed to lead, not the woman?
(a) Brother Boxer.
(b) Sister Moore.
(c) Sister Boxer.
15. Who are Odessa and Sisters Moore and Boxer talking about when Act II opens?
(c) Ida Jackson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says in Act II, "The way that box is going, you wouldn't of hear the Holy Ghost come in"?
2. Where was David seen talking to a white horn player?
3. In Act II Sister Boxer and Margaret argue about the difference between having trumpets and drums in church and what?
4. What instrument did Luke make a living playing?
5. In Act II, Margaret is asked how she returned home from Philadelphia. Her answer was what?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)