|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tries to talk with the pastor about nothing being wrong with Brother Boxer's job in Act I?
(b) Sister Boxer.
(c) Sister Moore.
2. Where is the pastor planning on going after the church service in Act 1?
3. What sits on top of the piano in the church in the first scene?
(a) Hymn books and tambourines.
(b) A trumpet and hymn books.
(c) A bible and piano music.
(d) Nothing sits on top of the piano in the first act.
4. Who is in his grave, according to Sister Boxer in the first act?
(a) Brother Alexander.
(b) Elder King.
(c) Elder Smith.
(d) Brother Washington.
5. What reason does David give for not wanting to go to Philadelphia with his mother?
(a) He doesn't want to miss playing the guitar in church.
(b) He doesn't like Philadelphia.
(c) He doesn't want to miss music school.
(d) He has a cold starting.
6. Everyone tries to convince Margaret to stay to care for Luke instead of going out of town. What does she decide?
(a) Margaret decides to go on her trip.
(b) Margaret sends Sister Moore in her place.
(c) Margaret decides to postpone her trip for a couple of days.
(d) Margaret calls and cancels her trip.
7. In the play, who claims to have left to get away from the stink of whiskey?
(b) Sister Moore.
8. Whose bedroom is mentioned from the beginning of Act I?
9. Where does the play, "The Amen Corner," take place?
10. According to the pastor's first act sermon, what is an example of an activity one does when one's "mind ain't on the Lord"?
(a) Going out.
(b) Washing cocktail glasses.
(c) Reading the funny papers.
(d) Listening to music.
11. Which of the characters is the pastor as the play opens?
(a) Sister Moore.
(b) Ida Jackson.
(c) Brother Boxer.
(d) Margaret Alexander.
12. According to Luke, who goes digging for pork chops when she sees a man?
(a) Sister Boxer.
(d) Sister Moore.
13. Who tells David that he has a natural gift for music?
(b) Sister Moore.
14. What is the first thing that Margaret says when Luke walks into the apartment in Act i?
(a) "I'm so glad to see you."
(b) "What are you doing here?"
(c) "Get out."
15. Who's reportedly been keeping bad company in Act I?
Short Answer Questions
1. The person who comes forward at the end of the sermon is carrying what?
2. How did Luke know where to find Margaret?
3. During Act I, two people say "God doesn't like liars." Who were they?
4. Who leaves the service to put coffee on during the first act?
5. Who says, "Cat got your tongue, Maggie?"
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)