|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who's supposed to send a telegram if anything happens to Luke during "The Amen Corner."
(a) Sister Boxer.
(d) Sister Moore.
2. Who tries to talk with the pastor about nothing being wrong with Brother Boxer's job in Act I?
(b) Sister Moore.
(c) Sister Boxer.
3. Before the curtain rises in the first act, there are street sounds including laughter, cursing, and a radio. What other sound is heard?
(a) A phone ringing.
(b) Piano playing.
4. The person who comes forward at the end of the sermon is carrying what?
(b) A handkerchief.
(c) A sick baby.
5. Which of the characters is the pastor as the play opens?
(a) Margaret Alexander.
(b) Ida Jackson.
(c) Brother Boxer.
(d) Sister Moore.
6. What does David say when his father asks if his mother is a good pastor?
(b) " don't know."
(c) David remains silent.
(d) "Good pastor."
7. What reason does David give for not wanting to go to Philadelphia with his mother?
(a) He doesn't want to miss playing the guitar in church.
(b) He has a cold starting.
(c) He doesn't want to miss music school.
(d) He doesn't like Philadelphia.
8. Who does the pastor suggest as a substitute piano player for the church service?
(a) Sister Moore.
(b) Sister David.
(c) Sister Price.
(d) Sister Jackson.
9. Who was out late the night before the church service in the first act?
10. What happens when Luke starts to leave during Act I?
(a) Margaret starts crying.
(b) Luke falls against the table.
(c) David asks him not to go.
(d) Luke begins uncontrollable coughing.
11. Who is it that appears in the alley before the pastor leaves on a trip?
(a) Mother Phillips.
(b) Elder Johnson.
(c) Ida Jackson.
12. When the congregation sings loudly and claps hands and shakes tambourines, this is called what kind of song?
(a) "Feel good" music.
(b) A "shout" song.
(c) Folk music.
(d) Gospel music.
13. What is Brother Boxer's first name?
14. Who does the pastor plan on seeing in Philadelphia?
(a) The pastor's mother.
(b) Mother Phillips.
(c) Sister Baker.
(d) Elder Thomas.
15. The first spoken part of the play is from what character?
(c) Sister Moore.
(d) Sister Boxer.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the first act take place?
2. According to the pastor's first act sermon, what is an example of an activity one does when one's "mind ain't on the Lord"?
3. Who's reportedly been keeping bad company in Act I?
4. Who tells David that he has a natural gift for music?
5. Everyone tries to convince Margaret to stay to care for Luke instead of going out of town. What does she decide?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)