|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following describes Rosa's commitment to Sam?
2. Where does Joe stay for a few days following the building incident?
3. Where does Joe's son approach Joe?
4. Which character tries to sabotage Joe on stage at the Hotel Pierre?
5. Which of the following upsets Joe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does corruption play in the story? Which characters are examples of corruption? Which characters are victims of corruption? Analyze at least 2 examples of corruption in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Describe society's view of comics in the story. Why do they think this way? Do you think this is a realistic interpretation of the way society thought in 1939? Why or why not? What type of media might be comparable to comic books for the modern age?
Essay Topic 3
How are Tommy and Joe alike? How are they different? Why is it important that these similarities are displayed for the reader? How does Joe's son Tommy compare to Joe's brother, Thomas?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)