|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe handcuff himself to?
2. According to the comic editors, who must Sammy and Joe stop attacking?
3. When Joe leaves a note, who does he sign it as from?
4. How many comic strips have Sammy and Joe drawn in their first weekend collaborating?
5. What is the name of the character Joe creates as a result of the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Sammy's sexuality represented?
2. Why does Sam want to leave New York?
3. What passion does Joe put into creating Luna Moth?
4. Describe the way reality and fiction blur in Sammy's life.
5. After reading about the story of an alleged jumper in the paper, why does Joe follow through with his plan in the end?
6. What has Joe escaped from in his life?
7. What is one positive thing about Sam's public exposure?
8. What role does the movie Citizen Kane play in the book?
9. How does Joe feel about the USA?
10. According to Sam, what kind of relationship do Batman and Robin have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Rosa and Sam's marriage. Are they happy? Why or why not? Provide at least two pieces of evidence from the story to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Describe society's view of comics in the story. Why do they think this way? Do you think this is a realistic interpretation of the way society thought in 1939? Why or why not? What type of media might be comparable to comic books for the modern age?
Essay Topic 3
Does the book portray life imitating art? How? Would Joe have become so intense about his hatred for Germans if he did not have the comic books as an outlet? Why or why not?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)