|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is The Escapist allegedly a copy of?
2. How many comic strips have Sammy and Joe drawn in their first weekend collaborating?
3. What quality does Luna possess that Rosa does not?
4. Which of the following do the Nazis want to seize in Joe's past?
5. What do Joe and Sammy argue with the Empire Novelties editor and owner about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is retribution a theme in the story?
2. According to Joe, what is the most important question the men must ask themselves when creating comics?
3. What makes Sam think that Joe is back in town?
4. What does the Golem represent?
5. What does the letter from Joe's mother attempt to convince him to do? Does it work?
6. Describe the role of Sammy's father in his life.
7. Describe comic books as they existed in the novel in 1939.
8. How is Joe's rage shown in the comics that he makes?
9. Describe the way reality and fiction blur in Sammy's life.
10. Describe the box that Joe receives.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe society's view of comics in the story. Why do they think this way? Do you think this is a realistic interpretation of the way society thought in 1939? Why or why not? What type of media might be comparable to comic books for the modern age?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sammy and then describe Joe. Which characters is stronger? Why? What weaknesses does each character possess? What role do these play in the story?
Essay Topic 3
How does retribution play a role in the book? Which characters seek revenge? Which characters are victims of retribution?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)