|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe see the crowd watching at the party?
2. What do Sammy and Joe want to do at the beginning of the story?
3. What is the name of The Escapist?
4. What does Anapol fear?
5. Which of the following does Hoffman use in his trick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the journey that Sammy and Joe take in the first few chapters.
2. What shatters Sam's fantasy of living a normal life?
3. How does Joe interpret Sammy and Rosa's marriage?
4. Why does Sammy like comic books?
5. How is Joe's rage shown in the comics that he makes?
6. Describe comic books as they existed in the novel in 1939.
7. How is the death of Joe's brother foreshadowed?
8. What passion does Joe put into creating Luna Moth?
9. What does Tracy look like? Why is this important?
10. How is Sam and Rosa's marriage ironic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe society's view of comics in the story. Why do they think this way? Do you think this is a realistic interpretation of the way society thought in 1939? Why or why not? What type of media might be comparable to comic books for the modern age?
Essay Topic 2
How do Sammy and Joe obtain inspiration for their comics? Describe and analyze three separate instances.
Essay Topic 3
What are two elements of irony in the story? What makes these parts of the story ironic? What is the importance of irony in these situations? Analyze how effective this use of irony is.
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)