|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Joe's aunt?
2. Which character has the most sexual tension surrounding them?
3. How many pages are in the first comic book Sammy and Joe make?
4. What is the number of the apartment that Kornblum and Joe are unable to get into?
5. What is Joe's occupation at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Sam, what kind of relationship do Batman and Robin have?
2. What do Joe and Sammy want to make comic books about? Why?
3. What does the letter from Joe's mother attempt to convince him to do? Does it work?
4. In what way does Joe's life imitate art?
5. How does Joe feel about the USA?
6. What is Hoffman's role in the story?
7. Describe the journey that Sammy and Joe take in the first few chapters.
8. How is Joe's rage shown in the comics that he makes?
9. In what way is Sammy's sexuality represented?
10. Compare Tommy and Joe.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does background information play in the story? How is background information revealed to the reader? Why is this background information important for the reader to know? Is any of it unnecessary?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of juxtaposition in this book. For example, how are Luna Moth and Rosa juxtaposed? What are the differences between Sammy and Joe and how do they play off each other? Choose one other pairing from the story to analyze.
Essay Topic 3
What predictions do you make for the characters in the story beyond the book? What do you think they do after the story is being told? Which characters become more successful? Which ones suffer hardships? Why do you think this is so?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)