|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joe leaves a note, who does he sign it as from?
2. Which of the following do the Nazis want to seize in Joe's past?
3. What quality does Luna possess that Rosa does not?
4. What word best describes comic books in 1939?
5. What has Joe trained to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe comic books as they existed in the novel in 1939.
2. What does Tracy look like? Why is this important?
3. Why does Joe jump from the building?
4. How is Joe's rage shown in the comics that he makes?
5. What inspires Joe to create a new comic book character?
6. Describe the box that Joe receives.
7. What role does corruption play in the story?
8. After reading about the story of an alleged jumper in the paper, why does Joe follow through with his plan in the end?
9. What makes Sam think that Joe is back in town?
10. Describe the party that Sammy and Joe attend.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does corruption play in the story? Which characters are examples of corruption? Which characters are victims of corruption? Analyze at least 2 examples of corruption in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one character to analyze in-depth. Analyze the way this character behaves and how he or she interacts with others.What events have shaped this character into the character they have become by the end of the novel? What quote best sums up the character?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Joe's relationship with Rosa. How does this compare with Sammy's relationship with her? Do Joe and Rosa love each other? Why does Rosa inspire him?
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)