|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is Sammy most interested in?
2. What is the name of the man who works for Race Publications?
3. What is the name of the Empire Novelties editor?
4. Which of the following does Hoffman use in his trick?
5. In the first comic, who does The Escapist knock down?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one positive thing about Sam's public exposure?
2. What is one subtle characteristic of Sammy that becomes more apparent at the party he attends with Joe?
3. How is Joe's rage shown in the comics that he makes?
4. Describe Joe.
5. Describe Sammy and Tracy's relationship when they visit the abandoned World's Fair.
6. Why does Sammy marry Rosa?
7. Why does Sammy like comic books?
8. What makes Sam think that Joe is back in town?
9. Describe the way reality and fiction blur in Sammy's life.
10. Why does Joe want to make money?
Essay Topic 1
Does the book portray life imitating art? How? Would Joe have become so intense about his hatred for Germans if he did not have the comic books as an outlet? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What role does isolation play in the novel? How is Joe isolated? How is Sammy isolated? What other characters are isolated? Analyze 3 examples of isolation in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What marketing potential do Sammy and Joe have with their comics? Why are they so marketable? Why does Deasy like Sammy and Joe so much?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)