|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man who will play The Escapist on the radio?
2. Where is Sammy's first apartment located?
3. Where has Anapol recently purchased a home?
4. What do Sammy and Joe want to do at the beginning of the story?
5. When Joe is finally able to break into an apartment, what type of business does it end up being?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sammy marry Rosa?
2. In what ways is this book comic-like?
3. What makes Sam think that Joe is back in town?
4. What role does the movie Citizen Kane play in the book?
5. Describe the relationship between Sammy and Joe.
6. Why does Sam want to leave New York?
7. According to the book's foreshadowing, which character will play a larger role in the future of the novel? How do you know?
8. What is the first step in Joe's slide into madness?
9. According to Joe, what is the most important question the men must ask themselves when creating comics?
10. How is the death of Joe's brother foreshadowed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does corruption play in the story? Which characters are examples of corruption? Which characters are victims of corruption? Analyze at least 2 examples of corruption in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Rosa and Sam's marriage. Are they happy? Why or why not? Provide at least two pieces of evidence from the story to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
How do Sammy and Joe obtain inspiration for their comics? Describe and analyze three separate instances.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)