|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man who works for Race Publications?
2. What does Deasy see in Joe and Sammy?
3. What percentage of the rights to the comics do Sammy and Joe receive?
4. Which character inspires Joe to draw a new comic book character?
5. Who does Joe believe that he sees at the dock?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sammy and Rosa's relationship in Part IV.
2. Why would Sammy and Joe be marketable?
3. Why does Sammy marry Rosa?
4. What does Tracy look like? Why is this important?
5. What does the Golem represent?
6. What is one positive thing about Sam's public exposure?
7. Do you think Joe and Sam work better as a team or individuals? Why?
8. How is the death of Joe's brother foreshadowed?
9. Describe the role of Sammy's father in his life.
10. What is one subtle characteristic of Sammy that becomes more apparent at the party he attends with Joe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe society's view of comics in the story. Why do they think this way? Do you think this is a realistic interpretation of the way society thought in 1939? Why or why not? What type of media might be comparable to comic books for the modern age?
Essay Topic 2
What marketing potential do Sammy and Joe have with their comics? Why are they so marketable? Why does Deasy like Sammy and Joe so much?
Essay Topic 3
What role does isolation play in the novel? How is Joe isolated? How is Sammy isolated? What other characters are isolated? Analyze 3 examples of isolation in the novel.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)