|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Joe and Kornblum look for in the apartment they break into?
2. What is the name of Joe's aunt?
3. Where does the European ship docking occur?
4. What is the number of the apartment that Kornblum and Joe are unable to get into?
5. When Joe leaves a note, who does he sign it as from?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Sammy's sexuality represented?
2. Describe the role of Sammy's father in his life.
3. After reading about the story of an alleged jumper in the paper, why does Joe follow through with his plan in the end?
4. What does the letter from Joe's mother attempt to convince him to do? Does it work?
5. How does Joe feel about the USA?
6. How does Joe interpret Sammy and Rosa's marriage?
7. What role does the movie Citizen Kane play in the book?
8. Do you think Joe and Sam work better as a team or individuals? Why?
9. What is the first step in Joe's slide into madness?
10. What does Joe use as an escape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the book portray life imitating art? How? Would Joe have become so intense about his hatred for Germans if he did not have the comic books as an outlet? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship that Sammy and Tracy have. Analyze their behavior towards one another. Are they in love? Why or why not? In what ways are they compatible?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the Golem? What does it mean to Joe? Why does Joe have a connection with it? Why is this important to the story?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)