|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the comic league?
2. Which character has the most sexual tension surrounding them?
3. What is the name of the man who will play The Escapist on the radio?
4. What is Sheldon's nickname?
5. What do Sammy and Joe want to do at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter from Joe's mother attempt to convince him to do? Does it work?
2. Why does Joe want to make money?
3. Why does Sam want to leave New York?
4. What will Joe's life be like after Sam's exposure?
5. What do Joe and Sammy want to make comic books about? Why?
6. According to Joe, what is the most important question the men must ask themselves when creating comics?
7. Which character seeks revenge on Joe in this section and how?
8. Who is the soul and driver of the comic book project?
9. Why is isolation a theme in the story?
10. What does Tracy look like? Why is this important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are two elements of irony in the story? What makes these parts of the story ironic? What is the importance of irony in these situations? Analyze how effective this use of irony is.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Joe's relationship with Rosa. How does this compare with Sammy's relationship with her? Do Joe and Rosa love each other? Why does Rosa inspire him?
Essay Topic 3
Does the book portray life imitating art? How? Would Joe have become so intense about his hatred for Germans if he did not have the comic books as an outlet? Why or why not?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)