|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many artists do Sammy and Joe recruit?
2. What is Joe's motivation to get a job?
3. What do Joe and Sammy argue with the Empire Novelties editor and owner about?
4. Who is the soul and driver of the comic book project?
5. What does Anapol fear?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Joe, what is the most important question the men must ask themselves when creating comics?
2. Why does Joe want to make money?
3. Who is the soul and driver of the comic book project?
4. Describe comic books as they existed in the novel in 1939.
5. Why does Sammy like comic books?
6. What role does corruption play in the story?
7. Why do you think Joe joins the military?
8. Do you think Joe and Sam work better as a team or individuals? Why?
9. What is Hoffman's role in the story?
10. What is one subtle characteristic of Sammy that becomes more apparent at the party he attends with Joe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Describe the relationship that Sammy and Tracy have. Analyze their behavior towards one another. Are they in love? Why or why not? In what ways are they compatible?
Essay Topic 2What qualities does a hero posses? How does the story reveal these qualities? Are these qualities present in the characters of the story? Would Sammy and Joe be considered heroes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3What marketing potential do Sammy and Joe have with their comics? Why are they so marketable? Why does Deasy like Sammy and Joe so much?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)