|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Joe's occupation at the beginning of the story?
2. Where does Joe sail to when he comes to America?
3. What is the name of the character Joe creates as a result of the party?
4. Which of the following does Hoffman use in his trick?
5. Who invites Sammy and Joe out to dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tommy's relationship with Joe.
2. In what way is Sammy's sexuality represented?
3. Describe the editor's reaction to Sammy and Joe's first comic.
4. What is one positive thing about Sam's public exposure?
5. What role does surrealism play in Part VI?
6. In what ways is this book comic-like?
7. Describe the party that Sammy and Joe attend.
8. Why do you think Joe joins the military?
9. After reading about the story of an alleged jumper in the paper, why does Joe follow through with his plan in the end?
10. Describe the relationship between Sammy and Joe.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Sammy and then describe Joe. Which characters is stronger? Why? What weaknesses does each character possess? What role do these play in the story?
Essay Topic 2
How do Sammy and Joe obtain inspiration for their comics? Describe and analyze three separate instances.
Essay Topic 3
What predictions do you make for the characters in the story beyond the book? What do you think they do after the story is being told? Which characters become more successful? Which ones suffer hardships? Why do you think this is so?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)