|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the party, who talks to Joe about family?
2. What is the name of the comic league?
3. At the party, what does Joe injure?
4. Who has seized the Iron Chain?
5. What is the name of Rosa's boss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Joe and Sammy want to make comic books about? Why?
2. How is Joe's rage shown in the comics that he makes?
3. Describe comic books as they existed in the novel in 1939.
4. Describe Sammy and Rosa's relationship in Part IV.
5. What is the first step in Joe's slide into madness?
6. Describe the role of Sammy's father in his life.
7. According to Joe, what is the most important question the men must ask themselves when creating comics?
8. What does Joe use as an escape?
9. Describe the party that Sammy and Joe attend.
10. How is Sam and Rosa's marriage ironic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe society's view of comics in the story. Why do they think this way? Do you think this is a realistic interpretation of the way society thought in 1939? Why or why not? What type of media might be comparable to comic books for the modern age?
Essay Topic 2
What role does corruption play in the story? Which characters are examples of corruption? Which characters are victims of corruption? Analyze at least 2 examples of corruption in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What qualities does a hero posses? How does the story reveal these qualities? Are these qualities present in the characters of the story? Would Sammy and Joe be considered heroes? Why or why not?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)