|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pages are in the first comic book Sammy and Joe make?
2. At the party, what does Joe injure?
3. What does Rosa want Joe to see at the party?
4. What is the name of the man who offers a radio deal?
5. What does Deasy see in Joe and Sammy?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Joe, what is the most important question the men must ask themselves when creating comics?
2. What role does surrealism play in Part VI?
3. Describe comic books as they existed in the novel in 1939.
4. What does Tracy look like? Why is this important?
5. Why would Sammy and Joe be marketable?
6. How is the death of Joe's brother foreshadowed?
7. What makes Sam think that Joe is back in town?
8. What does Joe use as an escape?
9. According to Sam, what kind of relationship do Batman and Robin have?
10. How does Joe interpret Sammy and Rosa's marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does background information play in the story? How is background information revealed to the reader? Why is this background information important for the reader to know? Is any of it unnecessary?
Essay Topic 2
What role does fear play in the story? Which characters are afraid of somebody? Which characters fear that a secret of theirs will come out into the open? Do their fears pay off? Analyze two instances.
Essay Topic 3
What are two elements of irony in the story? What makes these parts of the story ironic? What is the importance of irony in these situations? Analyze how effective this use of irony is.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)