|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Sammy and Joe attend a party, what is the occupation of the man who is honored there?
(a) A writer.
(b) An artist.
(c) An actor.
(d) A clothing designer.
2. What does Rosa want Joe to see at the party?
(a) Her paintings.
(b) Her short stories.
(c) Her magic trick.
(d) Her son.
3. Where does Joe sail to when he comes to America?
(d) New York.
4. How does Joe get to New York?
(a) By car.
(b) By train.
(c) By bus.
(d) By boat.
5. Where does the European ship docking occur?
(a) New Jersey.
(c) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Joe begin dating?
2. What is the name of the moth goddess in the comics?
3. Who is the owner of Empire Novelty?
4. What does Deasy see in Joe and Sammy?
5. When Joe leaves a note, who does he sign it as from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joe interpret Sammy and Rosa's marriage?
2. In what way is Sammy's sexuality represented?
3. Why does Sammy like comic books?
4. Describe the relationship between Sammy and Joe.
5. What does Joe use as an escape?
6. Why is isolation a theme in the story?
7. In what way does Joe's life imitate art?
8. Describe the editor's reaction to Sammy and Joe's first comic.
9. How does Joe feel about the USA?
10. What role does corruption play in the story?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)