|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who picks the child Mozart up after his fall?
2. How does Mozart defend his work?
3. What position is Mozart interested in applying for?
4. Who is named as an old pupil of Salieri's?
5. What surprises Salieri's servants?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does the Emperor tell to Mozart?
2. Comment on Salieri's appeal to 'the ghosts of the future'.
3. In what way is the 'calf-measuring scene' ironic?
4. In what way does Salieri believe God is torturing him?
5. What is the problem with Salieri's drive for fame?
6. What strategy does Salieri use in his attempt to seduce Constanze?
7. What is important about the discussion between Von Strack, Rosenberg and Van Swieten?
8. In what ways does Salieri work to undermine Mozart in this section of the play?
9. Why do reports about Mozart unsettle Salieri?
10. What is the significance of the golden light that bathes the Emperor and his court?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'A study of evil, tempered by humor.' Is this a view of Amadeus that you agree with? Discus with close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the minor--though crucial--characters in Amadeus and discuss their function in the play as a whole. (Exclude the Venticelli from this discussion.)
Essay Topic 3
'Amadeus is a tale of the naive artist pitted against a social machine he is entirely unaware of.' Discuss with close reference to the play.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)