|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Salieri say is the effect of the slowness in the music?
2. How could Constanze secure for husband the job of tutor to Princess Elizabeth?
3. What kind of work has the Emperor commissioned Mozart to write?
4. In what language does Salieri speak when he is excited, according to one of the Venticelli?
5. What animal is Constanze imitating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Constanze's response to her husband's accusations tell us about her?
2. In what way does Salieri contradict himself in the scene in which he attempts to seduce Constanze?
3. In what way is the 'calf-measuring scene' ironic?
4. What does his comment about his requirement in a wife reveal about Salieri's character?
5. Comment on the dramatic function of the Venticelli in the opening scene.
6. Why do reports about Mozart unsettle Salieri?
7. What is the significance of the golden light that bathes the Emperor and his court?
8. In what way does Salieri claim to be different from his parents?
9. What is important about the discussion between Von Strack, Rosenberg and Van Swieten?
10. What does this scene show us of Mozart's talent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'The real tragedy is Salieri's. He kills nothing but his own soul.' Do you agree?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the minor--though crucial--characters in Amadeus and discuss their function in the play as a whole. (Exclude the Venticelli from this discussion.)
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is Amadeus a struggle between the forces of innovation and the power of convention? Make close reference to the text.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)