|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wicked vision does Salieri say he now has?
2. What causes Mozart to stop his silliness on this occasion?
3. Who picks the child Mozart up after his fall?
4. What is meant by the words 'one must avoid music that smells of music'?
5. Which is Salieri's favorite sweet indulgence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Account for Salieri's shout from the chair as he listens to Mozart and Constanze play their bawdy game.
2. What concrete information about Mozart is passed to Salieri by the Venticelli?
3. In what way does Salieri contradict himself in the scene in which he attempts to seduce Constanze?
4. Why do reports about Mozart unsettle Salieri?
5. What is striking about Salieri's description of the Adagio from the Serenade for Thirteen Wind Instruments (K. 361)?
6. For what reason might the scene in the Baroness's library be considered ironic?
7. What is the problem with Salieri's drive for fame?
8. What attitude towards the Emperor does Salieri display in the first scene of this section of the play?
9. In what way does Salieri claim to be different from his parents?
10. What is the significance of the golden light that bathes the Emperor and his court?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role and character of Constanze Weber Mozart. What does she bring to the play and why is she important?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the minor characters in Amadeus. Could any of them be removed from the play without affecting the story, action and outcome?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the way in which jealousy is dealt with in Amadeus. How has this affected the lives of at least TWO characters? You might like to consider the effects on personality as well as life outcome.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)