|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Salieri's reaction to the young couple's goings-on?
2. What was Salieri's home town?
3. What is holding up Wolfgang's and Constanze's marriage?
4. What wicked vision does Salieri say he now has?
5. What excuse does Salieri offer for not himself trying some variations on the march of welcome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem with Salieri's drive for fame?
2. Comment on Salieri's appeal to 'the ghosts of the future'.
3. What strategy does Salieri use in his attempt to seduce Constanze?
4. In what way does Mozart manage to insult Count Orsini-Rosenberg?
5. What happens in this section of the play to fertilize the growing seed of Salieri's murderous ideas?
6. What is Salieri hinting at when he says his servants will be 'even more surprised tomorrow'?
7. Why does Salieri rush out into the street on hearing Mozart's music?
8. What is important about the discussion between Von Strack, Rosenberg and Van Swieten?
9. What concrete information about Mozart is passed to Salieri by the Venticelli?
10. In what way does Salieri contradict himself in the scene in which he attempts to seduce Constanze?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'Amadeus is a tale of the naive artist pitted against a social machine he is entirely unaware of.' Discuss with close reference to the play.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the minor--though crucial--characters in Amadeus and discuss their function in the play as a whole. (Exclude the Venticelli from this discussion.)
Essay Topic 3
'A study of evil, tempered by humor.' Is this a view of Amadeus that you agree with? Discus with close reference to the text.
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)