|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What influences Mozart to make wildly tactless utterings at Bonno's house?
2. Where does Salieri finally meet Mozart?
3. What is Rosenberg's opinion of prodigies?
4. Why is a party being held at Baroness Waldstadten's?
5. What nationality is Katharina Cavalieri?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Salieri contradict himself in the scene in which he attempts to seduce Constanze?
2. What happens in this section of the play to fertilize the growing seed of Salieri's murderous ideas?
3. What story does the Emperor tell to Mozart?
4. What is important about the discussion between Von Strack, Rosenberg and Van Swieten?
5. Why does Salieri rush out into the street on hearing Mozart's music?
6. What is Salieri hinting at when he says his servants will be 'even more surprised tomorrow'?
7. In what ways does Salieri work to undermine Mozart in this section of the play?
8. For what reason might the scene in the Baroness's library be considered ironic?
9. What does his comment about his requirement in a wife reveal about Salieri's character?
10. What is Van Swieten's attitude to Salieri at this point in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do you think the problem of 'appearances versus reality' is crucial to the play Amadeus?
Essay Topic 2
"Mozart embraces life honestly, lives it fully and renders its complexity in his music. Salieri buries his passions in conventional living and is only capable of conventional art '. Discuss this statement with close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 3
To what extent is the Mozart of Shaffer's play responsible for his own downfall? Your discussion should contain close reference to the text.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)