|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position is Mozart interested in applying for?
2. Where does Salieri finally meet Mozart?
3. How does the audience react to the opera's finale?
4. What wicked vision does Salieri say he now has?
5. How is the Venticelli's speech described?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Salieri come to change his mind about meeting Mozart?
2. In what way does Salieri contradict himself in the scene in which he attempts to seduce Constanze?
3. In what way is the 'calf-measuring scene' ironic?
4. What attitude towards the Emperor does Salieri display in the first scene of this section of the play?
5. What is Van Swieten's attitude to Salieri at this point in the play?
6. In what way does Salieri claim to be different from his parents?
7. In what way does Salieri believe God is torturing him?
8. What story does the Emperor tell to Mozart?
9. Account for Salieri's shout from the chair as he listens to Mozart and Constanze play their bawdy game.
10. Why do reports about Mozart unsettle Salieri?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role and character of Constanze Weber Mozart. What does she bring to the play and why is she important?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the minor--though crucial--characters in Amadeus and discuss their function in the play as a whole. (Exclude the Venticelli from this discussion.)
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is Amadeus a struggle between the forces of innovation and the power of convention? Make close reference to the text.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)