|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plays the 'march of welcome' for Mozart?
2. What influences Mozart to make wildly tactless utterings at Bonno's house?
3. Who invites Salieri to join the Masons?
4. What does Salieri say is the title of his last work?
5. What is Salieri's reaction to the young couple's goings-on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is striking about Salieri's description of the Adagio from the Serenade for Thirteen Wind Instruments (K. 361)?
2. What does this scene show us of Mozart's talent?
3. What happens in this section of the play to fertilize the growing seed of Salieri's murderous ideas?
4. Why does Salieri rush out into the street on hearing Mozart's music?
5. In what way does Salieri contradict himself in the scene in which he attempts to seduce Constanze?
6. For what reason might the scene in the Baroness's library be considered ironic?
7. Comment on the conflict in this library scene.
8. What is Salieri hinting at when he says his servants will be 'even more surprised tomorrow'?
9. What is important about the discussion between Von Strack, Rosenberg and Van Swieten?
10. What is the problem with Salieri's drive for fame?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent is the Mozart of Shaffer's play responsible for his own downfall? Your discussion should contain close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role and character of Constanze Weber Mozart. What does she bring to the play and why is she important?
Essay Topic 3
Does Amadeus qualify as an example of tragedy? Is there a tragic hero and what makes him such?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)