|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Salieri describe 'Marten Aller Arten'?
2. Who plays the 'march of welcome' for Mozart?
3. Who invites Salieri to join the Masons?
4. What is Salieri's burning ambition at this time of his life?
5. Who picks the child Mozart up after his fall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Salieri rush out into the street on hearing Mozart's music?
2. In what way does Salieri believe God is torturing him?
3. Why do reports about Mozart unsettle Salieri?
4. What attitude towards the Emperor does Salieri display in the first scene of this section of the play?
5. Account for Salieri's shout from the chair as he listens to Mozart and Constanze play their bawdy game.
6. What does this scene show us of Mozart's talent?
7. What is the problem with Salieri's drive for fame?
8. What is Salieri hinting at when he says his servants will be 'even more surprised tomorrow'?
9. In what way is the 'calf-measuring scene' ironic?
10. How does Salieri come to change his mind about meeting Mozart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do you think the problem of 'appearances versus reality' is crucial to the play Amadeus?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the minor--though crucial--characters in Amadeus and discuss their function in the play as a whole. (Exclude the Venticelli from this discussion.)
Essay Topic 3
To what extent is the Mozart of Shaffer's play responsible for his own downfall? Your discussion should contain close reference to the text.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)