|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quality does Salieri say he requires in a wife?
2. How does Salieri finally realize the extent of Mozart's talent?
3. Who formally introduces Mozart and Salieri?
4. Which notable woman is the Emperor's sister?
5. When Salieri left Italy, how old was Mozart?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Salieri believe God is torturing him?
2. In what way does Salieri claim to be different from his parents?
3. What concrete information about Mozart is passed to Salieri by the Venticelli?
4. What is the significance of the golden light that bathes the Emperor and his court?
5. What does Salieri do to cope with the psychic blow he has received through hearing Mozart's music?
6. What story does the Emperor tell to Mozart?
7. Why does Salieri rush out into the street on hearing Mozart's music?
8. Comment on the conflict in this library scene.
9. In what way does Salieri contradict himself in the scene in which he attempts to seduce Constanze?
10. What is Van Swieten's attitude to Salieri at this point in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would Amadeus be such a powerful play if it were to be produced differently? Discuss the function of production in creating audience response.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Amadeus a struggle between the forces of innovation and the power of convention? Make close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 3
'Salieri's 'virtue' is mere behavior: it is not a movement of the soul towards God, and is easily discarded.' Is this an accurate appraisal? Discuss Salieri's relationship with God, as depicted in the play.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)