|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Mozart use to describe the singer he has engaged to play the lead in his opera?
2. What relationship to Salieri is Katharina Cavalieri?
3. Why is a party being held at Baroness Waldstadten's?
4. What intensely special quality does Salieri believe Mozart's music possesses?
5. Who is named as an old pupil of Salieri's?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Salieri believe God is torturing him?
2. What concrete information about Mozart is passed to Salieri by the Venticelli?
3. What does Constanze's response to her husband's accusations tell us about her?
4. In what way does Salieri contradict himself in the scene in which he attempts to seduce Constanze?
5. What strategy does Salieri use in his attempt to seduce Constanze?
6. What is the significance of the golden light that bathes the Emperor and his court?
7. What does Salieri do to cope with the psychic blow he has received through hearing Mozart's music?
8. Comment on the conflict in this library scene.
9. What does his comment about his requirement in a wife reveal about Salieri's character?
10. Account for Salieri's shout from the chair as he listens to Mozart and Constanze play their bawdy game.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent is the Mozart of Shaffer's play responsible for his own downfall? Your discussion should contain close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the way in which jealousy is dealt with in Amadeus. How has this affected the lives of at least TWO characters? You might like to consider the effects on personality as well as life outcome.
Essay Topic 3
"Mozart embraces life honestly, lives it fully and renders its complexity in his music. Salieri buries his passions in conventional living and is only capable of conventional art '. Discuss this statement with close reference to the text.
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)