|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Salieri find out that Mozart has arrived in Vienna?
2. Where is the opera's story set?
3. What is Mozart's reaction to Constanze's game with the Venticelli?
4. What excuse does Salieri offer for not himself trying some variations on the march of welcome?
5. Who was an influential teacher of Salieri?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the play open?
2. What is Salieri hinting at when he says his servants will be 'even more surprised tomorrow'?
3. What does this scene show us of Mozart's talent?
4. What does his comment about his requirement in a wife reveal about Salieri's character?
5. How does Salieri come to change his mind about meeting Mozart?
6. What is unusual about Mozart's vision of opera?
7. What strategy does Salieri use in his attempt to seduce Constanze?
8. In what way is Mozart 'resurrected'?
9. What happens in this section of the play to fertilize the growing seed of Salieri's murderous ideas?
10. Comment on Salieri's appeal to 'the ghosts of the future'.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'A study of evil, tempered by humor.' Is this a view of Amadeus that you agree with? Discus with close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 2
Does Amadeus qualify as an example of tragedy? Is there a tragic hero and what makes him such?
Essay Topic 3
'Salieri's 'virtue' is mere behavior: it is not a movement of the soul towards God, and is easily discarded.' Is this an accurate appraisal? Discuss Salieri's relationship with God, as depicted in the play.
This section contains 1,500 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)