|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is named as an old pupil of Salieri's?
2. Where does Salieri say he was born?
3. Which Mozart opera is being performed in this scene?
4. How does Salieri feel after examining Mozart's manuscripts?
5. How does Mozart defend his work?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Salieri believe God is torturing him?
2. In what way does Mozart manage to insult Count Orsini-Rosenberg?
3. What does this scene show us of Mozart's talent?
4. What is Salieri hinting at when he says his servants will be 'even more surprised tomorrow'?
5. In what way does Salieri contradict himself in the scene in which he attempts to seduce Constanze?
6. What happens in this section of the play to fertilize the growing seed of Salieri's murderous ideas?
7. What is important about the discussion between Von Strack, Rosenberg and Van Swieten?
8. What attitude towards the Emperor does Salieri display in the first scene of this section of the play?
9. What does Constanze's response to her husband's accusations tell us about her?
10. In what way is the 'calf-measuring scene' ironic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'Salieri is almost an archetypal hypocrite.' What is a hypocrite and does Salieri qualify for this label? Who else in Amadeus can be described as a Hypocrite? How does the behavior of such individuals affect others? Respond with close reference to the play.
Essay Topic 2
Review the staging of the play Amadeus. How does the production itself affect the responses of the audience? Make overall comment, then choose one scene to focus on in detail. Might there be alternative ways to stage the scene?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role and character of Constanze Weber Mozart. What does she bring to the play and why is she important?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)