|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Salieri describe 'Marten Aller Arten'?
2. What was Salieri's home town?
3. How did Salieri's family feel about the Austrian Empire?
4. Who presently holds the position Salieri covets?
5. Who formally introduces Mozart and Salieri?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is important about the discussion between Von Strack, Rosenberg and Van Swieten?
2. What attitude towards the Emperor does Salieri display in the first scene of this section of the play?
3. Why does Salieri rush out into the street on hearing Mozart's music?
4. What is the problem with Salieri's drive for fame?
5. In what ways does Salieri work to undermine Mozart in this section of the play?
6. What does Constanze's response to her husband's accusations tell us about her?
7. In what way is the 'calf-measuring scene' ironic?
8. Why do reports about Mozart unsettle Salieri?
9. What is striking about Salieri's description of the Adagio from the Serenade for Thirteen Wind Instruments (K. 361)?
10. What is Salieri hinting at when he says his servants will be 'even more surprised tomorrow'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'Amadeus is a tale of the naive artist pitted against a social machine he is entirely unaware of.' Discuss with close reference to the play.
Essay Topic 2
'Conflict is the essence of drama' and this play is packed with conflict. Examine TWO strands of conflict within Amadeus and relate these to one or more of the play's themes.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the way in which jealousy is dealt with in Amadeus. How has this affected the lives of at least TWO characters? You might like to consider the effects on personality as well as life outcome.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)