|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who presently holds the position Salieri covets?
2. What kind of work has the Emperor commissioned Mozart to write?
3. What surprises Salieri's servants?
4. How is the Venticelli's speech described?
5. What kind of love does Mozart claim his opera contains?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concrete information about Mozart is passed to Salieri by the Venticelli?
2. What is the significance of the golden light that bathes the Emperor and his court?
3. How does the play open?
4. What does Constanze's response to her husband's accusations tell us about her?
5. What is striking about Salieri's description of the Adagio from the Serenade for Thirteen Wind Instruments (K. 361)?
6. Why does Salieri rush out into the street on hearing Mozart's music?
7. What is Salieri hinting at when he says his servants will be 'even more surprised tomorrow'?
8. What attitude towards the Emperor does Salieri display in the first scene of this section of the play?
9. Comment on the dramatic function of the Venticelli in the opening scene.
10. Account for Salieri's shout from the chair as he listens to Mozart and Constanze play their bawdy game.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'Salieri is almost an archetypal hypocrite.' What is a hypocrite and does Salieri qualify for this label? Who else in Amadeus can be described as a Hypocrite? How does the behavior of such individuals affect others? Respond with close reference to the play.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways do you think the problem of 'appearances versus reality' is crucial to the play Amadeus?
Essay Topic 3
'Conflict is the essence of drama' and this play is packed with conflict. Examine TWO strands of conflict within Amadeus and relate these to one or more of the play's themes.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)