|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Salieri describe Mozart at the end of this scene?
2. How does Mozart react when the Major-Domo enters?
3. What is ironic about court musicians and their employers?
4. Who invites Salieri to join the Masons?
5. What philosophic age does Salieri refer to in his first speech for this section of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does his comment about his requirement in a wife reveal about Salieri's character?
2. In what way does Salieri claim to be different from his parents?
3. What strategy does Salieri use in his attempt to seduce Constanze?
4. What does this scene show us of Mozart's talent?
5. Comment on the conflict in this library scene.
6. What concrete information about Mozart is passed to Salieri by the Venticelli?
7. For what reason might the scene in the Baroness's library be considered ironic?
8. What happens in this section of the play to fertilize the growing seed of Salieri's murderous ideas?
9. What attitude towards the Emperor does Salieri display in the first scene of this section of the play?
10. Comment on the dramatic function of the Venticelli in the opening scene.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is Amadeus a struggle between the forces of innovation and the power of convention? Make close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 2
To what extent is the Mozart of Shaffer's play responsible for his own downfall? Your discussion should contain close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 3
'Amadeus is a tale of the naive artist pitted against a social machine he is entirely unaware of.' Discuss with close reference to the play.
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)