Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into which well-known piece does Mozart transform Salieri's march of welcome?
2. What does Salieri feel he needs to make his 'last audience' appear?
3. What caused Mozart's death, according to the Venticelli?
4. How is the Venticelli's speech described?
5. What relationship to Salieri is Katharina Cavalieri?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to his personal battle with Mozart, how is the deterioration of Salieri's relationship with God demonstrated in this part of the play?
2. In what way does Salieri contradict himself in the scene in which he attempts to seduce Constanze?
3. What happens in this scene to essentially perform the coup-de-grace for Mozart?
4. What does his comment about his requirement in a wife reveal about Salieri's character?
5. Comment on the conflict in this library scene.
6. What is the importance of the scene in which Salieri's home is contrasted with that of the Mozart family?
7. How does the play open?
8. Comment on the dramatic function of the Venticelli in the opening scene.
9. What is the significance of 'the figure in gray' that haunts Mozart's dreams?
10. What is the significance of the golden light that bathes the Emperor and his court?
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do you think the problem of 'appearances versus reality' is crucial to the play Amadeus?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Amadeus a struggle between the forces of innovation and the power of convention? Make close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role and character of Constanze Weber Mozart. What does she bring to the play and why is she important?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)