|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What intensely special quality does Salieri believe Mozart's music possesses?
2. Which is Salieri's favorite sweet indulgence?
3. Who is named as an old pupil of Salieri's?
4. How does Mozart insult Count Orsini-Rosenberg?
5. What position is Mozart interested in applying for?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason might the scene in the Baroness's library be considered ironic?
2. What does Salieri do to cope with the psychic blow he has received through hearing Mozart's music?
3. What does Constanze's response to her husband's accusations tell us about her?
4. What strategy does Salieri use in his attempt to seduce Constanze?
5. Comment on the conflict in this library scene.
6. What is Van Swieten's attitude to Salieri at this point in the play?
7. What is the problem with Salieri's drive for fame?
8. What is the significance of the golden light that bathes the Emperor and his court?
9. What is Salieri hinting at when he says his servants will be 'even more surprised tomorrow'?
10. What attitude towards the Emperor does Salieri display in the first scene of this section of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'The real tragedy is Salieri's. He kills nothing but his own soul.' Do you agree?
Essay Topic 2
'Salieri is almost an archetypal hypocrite.' What is a hypocrite and does Salieri qualify for this label? Who else in Amadeus can be described as a Hypocrite? How does the behavior of such individuals affect others? Respond with close reference to the play.
Essay Topic 3
'Salieri's 'virtue' is mere behavior: it is not a movement of the soul towards God, and is easily discarded.' Is this an accurate appraisal? Discuss Salieri's relationship with God, as depicted in the play.
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)