|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What intensely special quality does Salieri believe Mozart's music possesses?
2. Who is named as an old pupil of Salieri's?
3. What does Constanze accuse her husband of doing?
4. Which is Salieri's favorite sweet indulgence?
5. Who is the lead singer Mozart has engaged?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the 'calf-measuring scene' ironic?
2. What does Constanze's response to her husband's accusations tell us about her?
3. What concrete information about Mozart is passed to Salieri by the Venticelli?
4. What is Van Swieten's attitude to Salieri at this point in the play?
5. Comment on Salieri's appeal to 'the ghosts of the future'.
6. How does the play open?
7. What strategy does Salieri use in his attempt to seduce Constanze?
8. In what way does Salieri believe God is torturing him?
9. What does this scene show us of Mozart's talent?
10. What is striking about Salieri's description of the Adagio from the Serenade for Thirteen Wind Instruments (K. 361)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would Amadeus be such a powerful play if it were to be produced differently? Discuss the function of production in creating audience response.
Essay Topic 2
'Amadeus is a tale of the naive artist pitted against a social machine he is entirely unaware of.' Discuss with close reference to the play.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the way in which humor is woven into the events depicted in Amadeus.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)