|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what instrument does Mozart play Salieri's march?
2. What caused Mozart's death, according to the Venticelli?
3. What is meant by the words 'one must avoid music that smells of music'?
4. How old is Salieri in the first scene of the play?
5. What people are the chorus members meant to represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on Salieri's appeal to 'the ghosts of the future'.
2. What does this scene show us of Mozart's talent?
3. What is the significance of the golden light that bathes the Emperor and his court?
4. In what way does Salieri believe God is torturing him?
5. What does his comment about his requirement in a wife reveal about Salieri's character?
6. In what ways does Salieri work to undermine Mozart in this section of the play?
7. Comment on the conflict in this library scene.
8. What happens in this section of the play to fertilize the growing seed of Salieri's murderous ideas?
9. In what way does Salieri contradict himself in the scene in which he attempts to seduce Constanze?
10. Comment on the dramatic function of the Venticelli in the opening scene.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'Amadeus is a tale of the naive artist pitted against a social machine he is entirely unaware of.' Discuss with close reference to the play.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role and character of Constanze Weber Mozart. What does she bring to the play and why is she important?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the minor characters in Amadeus. Could any of them be removed from the play without affecting the story, action and outcome?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)