|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who formally introduces Mozart and Salieri?
2. What does Mozart intend to do in Vienna?
3. When Salieri left Italy, how old was Mozart?
4. To what does Salieri compare the opening measures of the music he hears?
5. What animal is Mozart pretending to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Constanze's response to her husband's accusations tell us about her?
2. What is Salieri hinting at when he says his servants will be 'even more surprised tomorrow'?
3. Account for Salieri's shout from the chair as he listens to Mozart and Constanze play their bawdy game.
4. What does Salieri do to cope with the psychic blow he has received through hearing Mozart's music?
5. How does Salieri come to change his mind about meeting Mozart?
6. Why does Salieri rush out into the street on hearing Mozart's music?
7. What is the significance of the golden light that bathes the Emperor and his court?
8. What does his comment about his requirement in a wife reveal about Salieri's character?
9. Comment on Salieri's appeal to 'the ghosts of the future'.
10. What does this scene show us of Mozart's talent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'A study of evil, tempered by humor.' Is this a view of Amadeus that you agree with? Discus with close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role and character of Constanze Weber Mozart. What does she bring to the play and why is she important?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the minor--though crucial--characters in Amadeus and discuss their function in the play as a whole. (Exclude the Venticelli from this discussion.)
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)