|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Salieri intend to adapt the Legend of Danaius?
2. What is holding up Wolfgang's and Constanze's marriage?
3. How does Salieri cope with his insight into Mozart's talent?
4. What is Baron Van Swieten's nickname?
5. To what does Salieri compare the opening measures of the music he hears?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the indications of decline that Salieri observes when he meets Wolfgang and Constanze in the Prater?
2. How does the death of Kapellmeister Bonno affect Salieri?
3. Comment on Salieri's appeal to 'the ghosts of the future'.
4. What is Salieri hinting at when he says his servants will be 'even more surprised tomorrow'?
5. What significant observations about art does Salieri make?
6. What is the problem with Salieri's drive for fame?
7. In what way is his son's description of Leopold Mozart ironic?
8. How does Salieri change focus in his struggle against God and His instrument, Mozart?
9. What is Salieri's fate?
10. In what way does Salieri claim to be different from his parents?
Essay Topic 1
"Mozart embraces life honestly, lives it fully and renders its complexity in his music. Salieri buries his passions in conventional living and is only capable of conventional art '. Discuss this statement with close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Amadeus a struggle between the forces of innovation and the power of convention? Make close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 3
'Salieri's 'virtue' is mere behavior: it is not a movement of the soul towards God, and is easily discarded.' Is this an accurate appraisal? Discuss Salieri's relationship with God, as depicted in the play.
This section contains 1,444 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)