|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Mozart to stop his silliness on this occasion?
2. Who plays the 'march of welcome' for Mozart?
3. How did Salieri's family feel about the Austrian Empire?
4. What does Salieri say is the title of his last work?
5. What family dynasty rules in Vienna?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concrete information about Mozart is passed to Salieri by the Venticelli?
2. Comment on the dramatic function of the Venticelli in the opening scene.
3. In what way does Salieri believe God is torturing him?
4. What does his comment about his requirement in a wife reveal about Salieri's character?
5. How does Salieri come to change his mind about meeting Mozart?
6. What story does the Emperor tell to Mozart?
7. Comment on the conflict in this library scene.
8. What is the significance of the golden light that bathes the Emperor and his court?
9. What is important about the discussion between Von Strack, Rosenberg and Van Swieten?
10. What is Salieri hinting at when he says his servants will be 'even more surprised tomorrow'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do you think the problem of 'appearances versus reality' is crucial to the play Amadeus?
Essay Topic 2
'A study of evil, tempered by humor.' Is this a view of Amadeus that you agree with? Discus with close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 3
While not all people appreciate classical music, this play has been enormously successful throughout the word. How do you account for the success of Amadeus?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)