|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Salieri compare the opening measures of the music he hears?
2. What is Rosenberg's opinion of prodigies?
3. Who invites Salieri to join the Masons?
4. How is the Venticelli's speech described?
5. Where is Salieri hidden?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Salieri believe God is torturing him?
2. What does this scene show us of Mozart's talent?
3. What does his comment about his requirement in a wife reveal about Salieri's character?
4. What strategy does Salieri use in his attempt to seduce Constanze?
5. What is the problem with Salieri's drive for fame?
6. Comment on Salieri's appeal to 'the ghosts of the future'.
7. What does Constanze's response to her husband's accusations tell us about her?
8. How does the play open?
9. What happens in this section of the play to fertilize the growing seed of Salieri's murderous ideas?
10. In what ways does Salieri work to undermine Mozart in this section of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'A study of evil, tempered by humor.' Is this a view of Amadeus that you agree with? Discus with close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 2
"Mozart embraces life honestly, lives it fully and renders its complexity in his music. Salieri buries his passions in conventional living and is only capable of conventional art '. Discuss this statement with close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of Salieri and compare and contrast him with Mozart. You might want to consider the morals and motivation of each man.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)