|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Salieri feel after examining Mozart's manuscripts?
2. How does Salieri intend to adapt the Legend of Danaius?
3. What relationship to Salieri is Katharina Cavalieri?
4. What does Salieri view as the secret of successful living?
5. What is Rosenberg's opinion of prodigies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem with Salieri's drive for fame?
2. What does his comment about his requirement in a wife reveal about Salieri's character?
3. What does Constanze's response to her husband's accusations tell us about her?
4. What is the significance of the golden light that bathes the Emperor and his court?
5. In what way does Mozart manage to insult Count Orsini-Rosenberg?
6. How does Salieri come to change his mind about meeting Mozart?
7. What is Van Swieten's attitude to Salieri at this point in the play?
8. What is striking about Salieri's description of the Adagio from the Serenade for Thirteen Wind Instruments (K. 361)?
9. Comment on the dramatic function of the Venticelli in the opening scene.
10. What story does the Emperor tell to Mozart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'Salieri's 'virtue' is mere behavior: it is not a movement of the soul towards God, and is easily discarded.' Is this an accurate appraisal? Discuss Salieri's relationship with God, as depicted in the play.
Essay Topic 2
'A study of evil, tempered by humor.' Is this a view of Amadeus that you agree with? Discus with close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 3
'Conflict is the essence of drama' and this play is packed with conflict. Examine TWO strands of conflict within Amadeus and relate these to one or more of the play's themes.
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)