|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What influences Mozart to make wildly tactless utterings at Bonno's house?
2. What does Salieri say is the title of his last work?
3. What words are whispered at the beginning of the play?
4. What is Baron Van Swieten's nickname?
5. Where does Salieri say he was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What attitude towards the Emperor does Salieri display in the first scene of this section of the play?
2. How does Salieri come to change his mind about meeting Mozart?
3. Why do reports about Mozart unsettle Salieri?
4. Comment on the dramatic function of the Venticelli in the opening scene.
5. How does the play open?
6. What does Constanze's response to her husband's accusations tell us about her?
7. In what ways does Salieri work to undermine Mozart in this section of the play?
8. What does Salieri do to cope with the psychic blow he has received through hearing Mozart's music?
9. What is Van Swieten's attitude to Salieri at this point in the play?
10. Account for Salieri's shout from the chair as he listens to Mozart and Constanze play their bawdy game.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the minor characters in Amadeus. Could any of them be removed from the play without affecting the story, action and outcome?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways do you think the problem of 'appearances versus reality' is crucial to the play Amadeus?
Essay Topic 3
'Salieri's 'virtue' is mere behavior: it is not a movement of the soul towards God, and is easily discarded.' Is this an accurate appraisal? Discuss Salieri's relationship with God, as depicted in the play.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)