|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the leader of The Animal tribe was killed, who was pregnant?
2. What is the age of the person who is accompanying Luis when he is caught by the police?
3. What happens to Santos when the police arrive on the attempted murder scene?
4. Who doesn't understand why Luis got involved in the attempted murder?
5. Who tries out for one of the mascot dancing roles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Lomas come to power?
2. How does Luis get involved in Neighborhood Youth Corps?
3. Why isn't Luis charged in the attack on the bikers?
4. How does Luis get wrapped up in the attack led by Santos?
5. Describe Luis's experience with drugs that is described midway through the book.
6. Why is the meeting of gangs called off?
7. What are Mr. Madison's plans for changes for the high school?
8. What kind of anger does Luis feel about his relationship with Vivian?
9. How do the riots of the Vietnam War impact Luis's life?
10. How does Luis find out about the city mural project?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It's interesting that Luis has never expressed his own level of commitment to the gang, but does say that he knows he can't say no when asked to participate in a particular raid or gang event. Compare and contract Luis's commitment to the gang with his commitment to his family.
Essay Topic 2
What is the impact of Luis's near-death experience with sniffing on his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the impact of the death of a little girl named Coke on the neighborhood's attempts to stop gang violence.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)