|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of athletics do the Mexicans join after Mr. Madison comes to the high school?
2. Where is the Sangras main warrior when the Lomas exact revenge?
3. Who knows that police presence is heavy when the Lomas plan to get revenge on the Sangras?
4. What is the result of Luis's charges from the riots he is involved in?
5. After news about Cokie's, what happens to plans for the meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Luis feel about the changes Mr. Madison made?
2. What happens when Michael's brother gets in trouble?
3. What does Chente say about what he discovers in Luis's garage?
4. How do the riots of the Vietnam War impact Luis's life?
5. Why does Luis stab someone with a screwdriver?
6. Why does Sal feel for the Sangras?
7. How does the dream about Lisa save Gloria?
8. Describe Luis's experience with drugs that is described midway through the book.
9. How does Luis get involved in Neighborhood Youth Corps?
10. Who is Lisa and what dream does Luis have about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the race problems at Luis's high school, including specific incidents from the book involving teachers and students. How do they affect Luis? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Beyond a feeling of belonging, why is the pull of the gang for Luis so strong that even a woman's influence cannot change his mind?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Neighborhood Youth Corps with a gang. In what ways are they alike? Different?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)