|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which accused murderer is Luis with in jail?
2. What is the school mascot at Keppel High School?
3. Why does The Animal Tribe start to decline?
4. Who performs as mascots at the dance?
5. Why do the Lomas come to power?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Luis's experience with drugs that is described midway through the book.
2. How does Luis describe the workers at the community centers?
3. Why isn't Luis charged in the attack on the bikers?
4. What happens when Michael's brother gets in trouble?
5. How does Luis get involved in Neighborhood Youth Corps?
6. How does Luis find out about the city mural project?
7. How does the dream about Lisa save Gloria?
8. Who is Joe and what does Joe discover about Luis?
9. What happens when Luis tries to attend Taft High School to get a better education?
10. What kind of anger does Luis feel about his relationship with Vivian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the community's response to the escalation of gang violence, and how does it help or hurt Luis?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Chente, and compare and contrast Luis's life to his. How do you think Luis feels he compares to someone like Chente?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contract the relationship between Luis and his mother with the relationship he has with his father. Does he blame his father for his mother's hard life? Why or why not?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)