|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Luis when is he turned away by the gang members using hard drugs?
2. Who is Puppet?
3. How was the leader of The Animal Tribe killed?
4. Why does Luis say the gang wars pause midway through the book?
5. Who is Viviana?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chente say about what he discovers in Luis's garage?
2. How does the dream about Lisa save Gloria?
3. What are Mr. Madison's plans for changes for the high school?
4. How does Luis get wrapped up in the attack led by Santos?
5. How does Luis find out about the city mural project?
6. How do the riots of the Vietnam War impact Luis's life?
7. What are some small strides happening in race relations at Luis' school after Mr. Madison arrives?
8. Why is the meeting of gangs called off?
9. How does Luis fair in his beating to become a Lomas?
10. Describe Luis's experience with drugs that is described midway through the book.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the struggle of people in the neighborhood and Luis's family's own struggle to fit in in America impact Luis's joining the club or gang? What is he seeking?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Luis's father's struggle to maintain a job causes the family to move to L.A. and how the job situation is once he gets there.
Essay Topic 3
What is the impact of Luis's near-death experience with sniffing on his life?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)