|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Santos when the police arrive on the attempted murder scene?
2. How do some of the people in the neighborhood think gang violence should be stopped?
3. Why does media coverage of gangs increase partway through the book?
4. Who is Puppet?
5. Who is Sal Basuto?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Michael's brother gets in trouble?
2. What happens when Luis tries to attend Taft High School to get a better education?
3. Why isn't Luis charged in the attack on the bikers?
4. How does Luis get involved in Neighborhood Youth Corps?
5. Why is Roberta a prostitute?
6. How do the riots of the Vietnam War impact Luis's life?
7. What are some small strides happening in race relations at Luis' school after Mr. Madison arrives?
8. Who is Lisa and what dream does Luis have about her?
9. Why does Luis stab someone with a screwdriver?
10. Why is the meeting of gangs called off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of feelings does Luis have the first time he is away from the club or clique? Why might he have these feelings? What does this reveal about him?
Essay Topic 2
What is the community's response to the escalation of gang violence, and how does it help or hurt Luis?
Essay Topic 3
Beyond a feeling of belonging, why is the pull of the gang for Luis so strong that even a woman's influence cannot change his mind?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)