|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of sign does Luis take the mascot changes as?
2. What is the school mascot at Keppel High School?
3. What does the neighborhood plan to do about gang violence?
4. What is To Help Mexican American Students known as?
5. Who tries out for one of the mascot dancing roles?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Luis find out about the city mural project?
2. What does Chente say about what he discovers in Luis's garage?
3. How do the riots of the Vietnam War impact Luis's life?
4. What are Mr. Madison's plans for changes for the high school?
5. Why does Sal feel for the Sangras?
6. Who is Lisa and what dream does Luis have about her?
7. What happens when Luis tries to attend Taft High School to get a better education?
8. What are some small strides happening in race relations at Luis' school after Mr. Madison arrives?
9. Why is the meeting of gangs called off?
10. What kind of anger does Luis feel about his relationship with Vivian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contract the relationship between Luis and his mother with the relationship he has with his father. Does he blame his father for his mother's hard life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what leads to Luis being kicked out of the house and into the garage. What prompts Luis's mother to be fed up with him? How does it make Luis feel? Why does he turn to drugs?
Essay Topic 3
It's interesting that Luis has never expressed his own level of commitment to the gang, but does say that he knows he can't say no when asked to participate in a particular raid or gang event. Compare and contract Luis's commitment to the gang with his commitment to his family.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)