|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Luis to get a gun after the bikers accost?
2. When the leader of The Animal tribe was killed, who was pregnant?
3. Why does media coverage of gangs increase partway through the book?
4. What is the consequence for Luis for getting involved in riots?
5. What is the result of Luis's charges from the riots he is involved in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Joe and what does Joe discover about Luis?
2. What happens when Luis tries to attend Taft High School to get a better education?
3. How does Luis feel about the changes Mr. Madison made?
4. How does Luis get involved in Neighborhood Youth Corps?
5. Why is the meeting of gangs called off?
6. How does Luis get wrapped up in the attack led by Santos?
7. Who is Lisa and what dream does Luis have about her?
8. How does Luis find out about the city mural project?
9. Describe Luis's experience with drugs that is described midway through the book.
10. Why does Sal feel for the Sangras?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the community's response to the escalation of gang violence, and how does it help or hurt Luis?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the impact of the death of a little girl named Coke on the neighborhood's attempts to stop gang violence.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contract the relationship between Luis and his mother with the relationship he has with his father. Does he blame his father for his mother's hard life? Why or why not?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)