|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kinds of injuries does the person have who takes a beating to join the Lomas?
2. When the leader of The Animal tribe was killed, who was pregnant?
3. How old is Luis when he is allowed a taste of heroine?
4. How is the mascot changed at Keppel High school?
5. Where is the leader of The Animal Tribe killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Luis get involved in Neighborhood Youth Corps?
2. Why is Roberta a prostitute?
3. What happens when Michael's brother gets in trouble?
4. What does Chente say about what he discovers in Luis's garage?
5. How does Luis fair in his beating to become a Lomas?
6. Who is Lisa and what dream does Luis have about her?
7. How do the riots of the Vietnam War impact Luis's life?
8. Why is the meeting of gangs called off?
9. How does Luis find out about the city mural project?
10. What kind of anger does Luis feel about his relationship with Vivian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the community's response to the escalation of gang violence, and how does it help or hurt Luis?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what leads to Luis being kicked out of the house and into the garage. What prompts Luis's mother to be fed up with him? How does it make Luis feel? Why does he turn to drugs?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Chente, and compare and contrast Luis's life to his. How do you think Luis feels he compares to someone like Chente?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)