|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened in the accusations against Luis's father?
2. How was Luis's first Christmas in Watts?
3. What city is Watts in?
4. What high school does Luis attend?
5. Who takes up the challenge to fight at the beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Luis's saxophone cause a rift between him and Joe?
2. What do the people in "Thee Impersonations" desire?
3. How does graffiti show a rift within the gang?
4. What happens to the person who took up the challenge to fight with the whites at the beach?
5. How does Luis describe his mother at the beginning of the book?
6. What does the gang discover about the white people at the beach?
7. What kind of relationship does Seni and her husband have?
8. Why did Luis break his toys at Christmas?
9. What was Luis's family's neighborhood and house like in Los Angeles?
10. After they leave Seni's, how is Luis' new neighborhood described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the reaction of Luis's American teacher impact him for the rest of the year? What is he afraid of?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the impact of the death of a little girl named Coke on the neighborhood's attempts to stop gang violence.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Luis relate to the Vietnam War protests? In what ways was he able to express himself?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)