|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What high school does Luis attend?
2. What was injured in the fight that prompted police to respond?
3. Who thinks that Luis's thoughts on killing are a problem?
4. Who loses an eye in the gang shooting?
5. What did Luis do with his toys that first Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Luis's saxophone cause a rift between him and Joe?
2. Why did Luis break his toys at Christmas?
3. What happens when the students at Luis's father's school can't understand his accent?
4. How does Luis describe his mother at the beginning of the book?
5. What do the people in "Thee Impersonations" desire?
6. What do Luis's early memories reveal about his feelings toward his father?
7. What kind of relationship does Seni and her husband have?
8. What was Luis's family's neighborhood and house like in Los Angeles?
9. What happens to the person who took up the challenge to fight with the whites at the beach?
10. What happens to Clavo's feelings about the gang after he is shot in the eye?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the community's response to the escalation of gang violence, and how does it help or hurt Luis?
Essay Topic 2
How does the struggle of people in the neighborhood and Luis's family's own struggle to fit in in America impact Luis's joining the club or gang? What is he seeking?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the title "Always Running" mean? How does Luis explain it in the book?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)