|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Luis's father meet his mother?
2. Which gang member is shot in the face near the vacant lot?
3. Who disappears without a trace after being injured in a gang shooting?
4. After stealing for Shed and Jandro, what do Luis and Rano graduate to?
5. Besides an eye, what else do the gang members think their comrade has lost in the shooting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the people in "Thee Impersonations" desire?
2. Who is Yuk Yuk and what influence does he has on Luis's life?
3. What was Luis's family's neighborhood and house like in Los Angeles?
4. Why did Luis break his toys at Christmas?
5. How does Luis describe his mother at the beginning of the book?
6. What do Luis's early memories reveal about his feelings toward his father?
7. How did Luis's family end up settling in Los Angeles?
8. Why is Luis known as "Chin?"
9. Why did Rano pick on his brother?
10. What happens to Clavo's feelings about the gang after he is shot in the eye?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what leads to Luis being kicked out of the house and into the garage. What prompts Luis's mother to be fed up with him? How does it make Luis feel? Why does he turn to drugs?
Essay Topic 2
How does the story of the woman yelling at Luis's family at Will Rogers park play a role in Luis's decision to join a gang? What kinds of feelings did the woman prompt in Luis that stay with him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Luis relate to the Vietnam War protests? In what ways was he able to express himself?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)