|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After stealing for Shed and Jandro, what do Luis and Rano graduate to?
2. How long did Luis's father's new job last?
3. Before Yuk-Yuk, had Luis stolen before?
4. Why did Yuk-yuk get his nickname?
5. What kind of car goes by when a gang member is shot in the face?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Luis break his toys at Christmas?
2. What do Luis and Rano do with their money they earn?
3. How does graffiti show a rift within the gang?
4. What does the gang discover about the white people at the beach?
5. What happens when Luis's father gets a better job?
6. After they leave Seni's, how is Luis' new neighborhood described?
7. Explain how Yuk-Yuk and Luis differ on their feelings about stealing and killing.
8. Who are "Thee Impersonations"?
9. How does Luis's saxophone cause a rift between him and Joe?
10. What kind of relationship does Seni and her husband have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Luis relate to the Vietnam War protests? In what ways was he able to express himself?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contract the relationship between Luis and his mother with the relationship he has with his father. Does he blame his father for his mother's hard life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
It's interesting that Luis has never expressed his own level of commitment to the gang, but does say that he knows he can't say no when asked to participate in a particular raid or gang event. Compare and contract Luis's commitment to the gang with his commitment to his family.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)