|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Luis describe his family's house in Watts?
2. What instrument does Luis want to learn how to play when he is in high school?
3. What happens to Luis's family after the police come to their home in the beginning of the book?
4. Who does Luis think teachers favor at his high school?
5. Where does Luis's family have to put all of their possessions when they have to move after the father loses his job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Yuk-Yuk and Luis differ on their feelings about stealing and killing.
2. What do the people in "Thee Impersonations" desire?
3. How does Luis's problem with stealing and killing come to a head at the concession stand?
4. What does the gang discover about the white people at the beach?
5. What do Luis's early memories reveal about his feelings toward his father?
6. How does Luis describe his mother at the beginning of the book?
7. What kind of relationship does Seni and her husband have?
8. Why did Luis break his toys at Christmas?
9. What happens when the gang goes to a "real beach?"
10. What happens when the students at Luis's father's school can't understand his accent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the reaction of Luis's American teacher impact him for the rest of the year? What is he afraid of?
Essay Topic 2
What is the impact of Luis's near-death experience with sniffing on his life?
Essay Topic 3
What does Yuk-Yuk teach Luis about stealing? And why is stealing more attractive to Luis than the menial jobs he took at 9 years-old to help support the family?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)