|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Rano?
2. Everyone is released after the beach fight except for who?
3. What happens at the concession stand when Luis is there on a gang mission?
4. Why was Luis's father angry in this memory at the beginning of the book?
5. How was Luis's first Christmas in Watts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the gang goes to a "real beach?"
2. After they leave Seni's, how is Luis' new neighborhood described?
3. How does Luis's saxophone cause a rift between him and Joe?
4. What happens to the person who took up the challenge to fight with the whites at the beach?
5. How does Luis describe his high school?
6. How did Luis's family end up settling in Los Angeles?
7. Why is Luis known as "Chin?"
8. How does Luis describe his mother at the beginning of the book?
9. What kind of relationship does Seni and her husband have?
10. Who is Yuk Yuk and what influence does he has on Luis's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beyond a feeling of belonging, why is the pull of the gang for Luis so strong that even a woman's influence cannot change his mind?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the title "Always Running" mean? How does Luis explain it in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what leads to Luis being kicked out of the house and into the garage. What prompts Luis's mother to be fed up with him? How does it make Luis feel? Why does he turn to drugs?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)