|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides an eye, what else do the gang members think their comrade has lost in the shooting?
(a) His excitement.
(b) His money.
(c) His nerve.
(d) His patience.
2. What does Shed give Luis and Rano for stealing?
3. What was Luis's father doing when he met his mother?
(a) Leaving for New York.
(b) Participating in a foreign study program.
(c) Forming a gang.
(d) Becoming a teacher.
4. Which gang member is shot in the face near the vacant lot?
5. What was injured in the fight that prompted police to respond?
(b) Seni's husband.
(d) The mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who puts old sofas in the vacant lot?
2. What does Luis's mother occasionally do for work?
3. How old was Luis in the memory he recalls at the beginning of the book?
4. What happens when people sign up to get a subscription that Luis and Rano are selling in the neighborhood?
5. Who usually doesn't go to the "real beach?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Rano pick on his brother?
2. Why did Luis break his toys at Christmas?
3. After they leave Seni's, how is Luis' new neighborhood described?
4. What happens when Luis's father gets a better job?
5. Explain how Yuk-Yuk and Luis differ on their feelings about stealing and killing.
6. What happens to Clavo's feelings about the gang after he is shot in the eye?
7. How does Luis describe his high school?
8. How does Luis describe his mother at the beginning of the book?
9. What does the gang discover about the white people at the beach?
10. Why is Luis known as "Chin?"
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)