|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes up the challenge to fight at the beach?
(b) Black Dog.
2. Who is Rano?
(a) Luis's older brother.
(b) Luis's younger brother.
(c) Luis's dad.
(d) Luis's grandfather.
3. How are students divided at Luis's high school?
(a) By race and social class.
(b) By grade.
(c) By neighborhoods.
(d) By learning level.
4. Who does Luis's family move in with after his father loses his great job?
5. What happens to Luis's family after the police come to their home in the beginning of the book?
(a) They divide up.
(b) They are evicted.
(c) They go to Florida.
(d) They are on the run.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Luis's family has to move in with a relative?
2. Where did Luis's allegedly commit this crime?
3. What was the weapon used in the fight that prompted police to respond?
4. Where did that memory take place that is described at the beginning of the book?
5. Which gang member is shot in the face near the vacant lot?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Luis's problem with stealing and killing come to a head at the concession stand?
2. Who is Yuk Yuk and what influence does he has on Luis's life?
3. What happens to the person who took up the challenge to fight with the whites at the beach?
4. What do Luis's early memories reveal about his feelings toward his father?
5. What was Luis's family's neighborhood and house like in Los Angeles?
6. Why did Luis break his toys at Christmas?
7. What do Luis and Rano do with their money they earn?
8. How does graffiti show a rift within the gang?
9. Why did Rano pick on his brother?
10. How does Luis describe his high school?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)