|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the weapon used in the fight that prompted police to respond?
(a) A knife.
(b) A BB gun.
(c) A nail file.
(d) A gun.
2. Who puts old sofas in the vacant lot?
(a) The gang.
(c) Luis's dad.
(d) Luis's mom.
3. Which gang is preparing for war after the shooting at the vacant lot?
(b) The Old Boys.
(c) The Tribe.
(d) Rano's gang.
4. Who usually doesn't go to the "real beach?"
5. What seem to the be the only kinds of jobs Luis's father can find when he first comes to America?
(a) Desk jobs.
(b) Out of state jobs.
(c) Labor jobs.
(d) School jobs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened in the accusations against Luis's father?
2. How is Jandro Mares described in the book?
3. What instrument does Luis want to learn how to play when he is in high school?
4. What does Jandro have Luis and Rano steal?
5. Who is Seni?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Luis break his toys at Christmas?
2. How does Luis's problem with stealing and killing come to a head at the concession stand?
3. What do Luis and Rano do with their money they earn?
4. What was Luis's family's neighborhood and house like in Los Angeles?
5. Who is Yuk Yuk and what influence does he has on Luis's life?
6. After they leave Seni's, how is Luis' new neighborhood described?
7. How does Luis describe his high school?
8. What does the gang discover about the white people at the beach?
9. How did Luis's family end up settling in Los Angeles?
10. What do Luis's early memories reveal about his feelings toward his father?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)