|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Luis's mother occasionally do for work?
(a) Work at Walgreens.
(b) Take care of children or cleaning houses.
(c) Work at the mall.
(d) Work at fast-food restaurant.
2. Why was Luis's father jailed after his parents were married?
3. What happens the first time Luis begins school in America?
(a) He speaks English clearly.
(b) He is tranferred to a different school.
(c) A teacher objects to having him in the class.
(d) A teacher welcomes him with open arms.
4. What is the gang's connection to the vacant lot?
(a) They sell it.
(b) They rent it.
(c) They never go near it.
(d) The gang has claimed it as their own.
5. Besides an eye, what else do the gang members think their comrade has lost in the shooting?
(a) His money.
(b) His patience.
(c) His excitement.
(d) His nerve.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Luis describe his family's house in Watts?
2. How is Jandro Mares described in the book?
3. Why is the gang taken into custody after the fight at the beach?
4. Whose fight prompted the police to come to where Luis's family was staying in the beginning of the book?
5. Who is the friction between at the beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Yuk Yuk and what influence does he has on Luis's life?
2. What do the people in "Thee Impersonations" desire?
3. How does Luis describe his high school?
4. How did Luis's family end up settling in Los Angeles?
5. Why did Luis break his toys at Christmas?
6. What happens to the person who took up the challenge to fight with the whites at the beach?
7. How does Luis's saxophone cause a rift between him and Joe?
8. How does graffiti show a rift within the gang?
9. What happens when the students at Luis's father's school can't understand his accent?
10. What was Luis's family's neighborhood and house like in Los Angeles?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)