|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What high school does Luis attend?
(a) Mark Keppel High School.
(b) John Henry High School
(c) George Washington High School.
(d) South High School.
2. Who is Rano?
(a) Luis's younger brother.
(b) Luis's dad.
(c) Luis's older brother.
(d) Luis's grandfather.
3. Who is Luis with when he finds the police at their home?
(b) His mother.
(d) His father.
4. How was Luis's first Christmas in Watts?
(a) Better than Mexico.
(b) The best ever.
(c) The usual.
(d) Not good.
5. Who does Luis think teachers favor at his high school?
(a) Rich kids.
(c) Poor kids.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who works at a car wash when Luis's mother tell the boys to get jobs?
2. Besides an eye, what else do the gang members think their comrade has lost in the shooting?
3. How long did Luis's father's new job last?
4. What was injured in the fight that prompted police to respond?
5. Why did Yuk-yuk get his nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Luis's family end up settling in Los Angeles?
2. What happens when the students at Luis's father's school can't understand his accent?
3. What happens to Clavo's feelings about the gang after he is shot in the eye?
4. How does Luis describe his mother at the beginning of the book?
5. Who are "Thee Impersonations"?
6. What was Luis's family's neighborhood and house like in Los Angeles?
7. What kind of relationship does Seni and her husband have?
8. Explain how Yuk-Yuk and Luis differ on their feelings about stealing and killing.
9. What do Luis's early memories reveal about his feelings toward his father?
10. Why is Luis known as "Chin?"
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)