|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Jandro Mares described in the book?
(a) A family friend.
(b) As a 30-year-old budding entrepreneur.
(c) As a friend of Ranos.
(d) As a friend of Luis.
2. What happened in the accusations against Luis's father?
(a) He was released after a trial.
(b) He was eventually found innocent.
(c) He was found guilty.
(d) Charges were dropped after a trial.
3. How does Luis describe his family's house in Watts?
(a) A matchbox of a place.
(b) A tiny box.
(c) A large castle.
(d) A perfectly fine place.
4. Why is the gang taken into custody after the fight at the beach?
(a) Assaulting a police officer.
(c) Drugs and alcohol.
5. Besides an eye, what else do the gang members think their comrade has lost in the shooting?
(a) His nerve.
(b) His excitement.
(c) His patience.
(d) His money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Luis's family has to move in with a relative?
2. Everyone is released after the beach fight except for who?
3. What type of job does Luis's father get in the flashback in the beginning of the book that prompts him to buy a better home and other things?
4. Where did that memory take place that is described at the beginning of the book?
5. How was Luis's first Christmas in Watts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Luis and Rano do with their money they earn?
2. Explain how Yuk-Yuk and Luis differ on their feelings about stealing and killing.
3. How does graffiti show a rift within the gang?
4. How does Luis's saxophone cause a rift between him and Joe?
5. What happens when the gang goes to a "real beach?"
6. What happens to the person who took up the challenge to fight with the whites at the beach?
7. What happens to Clavo's feelings about the gang after he is shot in the eye?
8. What do the people in "Thee Impersonations" desire?
9. What kind of relationship does Seni and her husband have?
10. How does Luis describe his mother at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)