|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Yuk-yuk get his nickname?
(a) Because his dad tells jokes.
(b) Because he hates jokes.
(c) Because the gang likes to laugh at him.
(d) Because of his distinctive laugh.
2. Luis thinks he would be able to kill, but not as part of what?
(a) A burglary.
(b) A shooting.
(c) A gang.
(d) A theft.
3. Why does the gang plan a trip to a "real beach?"
(a) To get away from rival gangs.
(b) To celebrate Clavo coming home from the hospital.
(c) To celebrate a birthday.
(d) Because it's hot.
4. What was injured in the fight that prompted police to respond?
(c) The mother.
(d) Seni's husband.
5. Who usually doesn't go to the "real beach?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the gang taken into custody after the fight at the beach?
2. Before Yuk-Yuk, had Luis stolen before?
3. What happens the first time Luis begins school in America?
4. What seem to the be the only kinds of jobs Luis's father can find when he first comes to America?
5. What job is Luis a champion at after he begins working to help support the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Yuk Yuk and what influence does he has on Luis's life?
2. Why did Luis break his toys at Christmas?
3. Explain how Yuk-Yuk and Luis differ on their feelings about stealing and killing.
4. What happens to Clavo's feelings about the gang after he is shot in the eye?
5. What happens when the gang goes to a "real beach?"
6. How does graffiti show a rift within the gang?
7. What was Luis's family's neighborhood and house like in Los Angeles?
8. Why did Rano pick on his brother?
9. What kind of relationship does Seni and her husband have?
10. What happens to the person who took up the challenge to fight with the whites at the beach?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)