|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Luis's father doing when he met his mother?
(a) Becoming a teacher.
(b) Leaving for New York.
(c) Participating in a foreign study program.
(d) Forming a gang.
2. What did Luis's father vow after the accusations in the beginning of the book?
(a) To never work in a school again.
(b) To leave the country.
(c) To be a better father.
(d) To be a better husband.
3. Who says "a thief must be willing to do what needs to be done without thinking?"
4. Who does Luis's family move in with after his father loses his great job?
5. Who takes up the challenge to fight at the beach?
(b) Black Dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. After stealing for Shed and Jandro, what do Luis and Rano graduate to?
2. What happened in the accusations against Luis's father?
3. What does Luis's mother occasionally do for work?
4. What is the gang's connection to the vacant lot?
5. What high school does Luis attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Yuk Yuk and what influence does he has on Luis's life?
2. How does Luis's saxophone cause a rift between him and Joe?
3. Why did Rano pick on his brother?
4. How does Luis describe his high school?
5. Why did Luis break his toys at Christmas?
6. After they leave Seni's, how is Luis' new neighborhood described?
7. Explain how Yuk-Yuk and Luis differ on their feelings about stealing and killing.
8. What happens when the students at Luis's father's school can't understand his accent?
9. What happens when Luis's father gets a better job?
10. How did Luis's family end up settling in Los Angeles?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)