|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Rano?
(a) Luis's older brother.
(b) Luis's younger brother.
(c) Luis's grandfather.
(d) Luis's dad.
2. What is the gang's connection to the vacant lot?
(a) They never go near it.
(b) They rent it.
(c) The gang has claimed it as their own.
(d) They sell it.
3. What happens when people sign up to get a subscription that Luis and Rano are selling in the neighborhood?
(a) They tell him to go away.
(b) They sign up for the free gift but never pay.
(c) They run away before paying.
(d) They spit in his face.
4. Who thinks that Luis's thoughts on killing are a problem?
(c) Luis's father.
5. Before Yuk-Yuk, had Luis stolen before?
(b) Yes, and the same type of big stuff.
(c) Occasionally he would rob a home.
(d) Yes, but never anything big.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who disappears without a trace after being injured in a gang shooting?
2. Who is often ill in the family?
3. Where does Luis's family have to put all of their possessions when they have to move after the father loses his job?
4. Why was Luis's father angry in this memory at the beginning of the book?
5. Who says "a thief must be willing to do what needs to be done without thinking?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Luis's family end up settling in Los Angeles?
2. Explain how Yuk-Yuk and Luis differ on their feelings about stealing and killing.
3. Who is Yuk Yuk and what influence does he has on Luis's life?
4. What was Luis's family's neighborhood and house like in Los Angeles?
5. Who are "Thee Impersonations"?
6. What do the people in "Thee Impersonations" desire?
7. What do Luis's early memories reveal about his feelings toward his father?
8. How does Luis's problem with stealing and killing come to a head at the concession stand?
9. What happens to the person who took up the challenge to fight with the whites at the beach?
10. What does the gang discover about the white people at the beach?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)