|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when people sign up to get a subscription that Luis and Rano are selling in the neighborhood?
(a) They tell him to go away.
(b) They sign up for the free gift but never pay.
(c) They run away before paying.
(d) They spit in his face.
2. Why was Luis's father jailed after his parents were married?
3. Who thinks that Luis's thoughts on killing are a problem?
(b) Luis's father.
4. Why did Yuk-yuk get his nickname?
(a) Because the gang likes to laugh at him.
(b) Because his dad tells jokes.
(c) Because of his distinctive laugh.
(d) Because he hates jokes.
5. What happens at the concession stand when Luis is there on a gang mission?
(a) Luis begins to cry.
(b) Rano kills a man.
(c) A man can't open the safe.
(d) Shed kills a man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Luis thinks he would be able to kill, but not as part of what?
2. Where did Luis's allegedly commit this crime?
3. What did Luis do with his toys that first Christmas?
4. What type of job does Luis's father get in the flashback in the beginning of the book that prompts him to buy a better home and other things?
5. How was Luis's first Christmas in Watts?
Short Essay Questions
1. After they leave Seni's, how is Luis' new neighborhood described?
2. How does Luis's problem with stealing and killing come to a head at the concession stand?
3. Why did Rano pick on his brother?
4. What happens when Luis's father gets a better job?
5. What happens when the students at Luis's father's school can't understand his accent?
6. What kind of relationship does Seni and her husband have?
7. How does Luis's saxophone cause a rift between him and Joe?
8. What do Luis's early memories reveal about his feelings toward his father?
9. What happens to Clavo's feelings about the gang after he is shot in the eye?
10. What do Luis and Rano do with their money they earn?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)