|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Luis and Rano do with the money they earn at 9 years old?
(a) Give it all to their dad.
(b) Give it all to their mom.
(c) Spend it on comics.
(d) Spend it on candy.
2. Who is Seni?
(a) Luis's mom.
(b) Luis's half-sister.
(c) Luis's stepsister.
(d) Luis's grandma.
3. What was Luis's father doing when he met his mother?
(a) Leaving for New York.
(b) Participating in a foreign study program.
(c) Forming a gang.
(d) Becoming a teacher.
4. Where did that memory take place that is described at the beginning of the book?
(b) Union Station.
(c) Los Angeles.
5. Who is Rano?
(a) Luis's grandfather.
(b) Luis's older brother.
(c) Luis's dad.
(d) Luis's younger brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Luis describe his family's house in Watts?
2. Who is Luis with when he finds the police at their home?
3. What does Shed give Luis and Rano for stealing?
4. What happens the first time Luis begins school in America?
5. Why does the gang plan a trip to a "real beach?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't Luis charged in the attack on the bikers?
2. Why did Rano pick on his brother?
3. What ever comes of the girl who says she is pregnant with Luis's child?
4. Why do fellow gang members shoot at Luis?
5. How does Luis's problem with stealing and killing come to a head at the concession stand?
6. What happens when Michael's brother gets in trouble?
7. What happens when the gang goes to a "real beach?"
8. How do the riots of the Vietnam War impact Luis's life?
9. What problems does Luis encounter when he intervenes with a woman being beaten?
10. How does Luis describe his high school?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)