|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What seem to the be the only kinds of jobs Luis's father can find when he first comes to America?
(a) Desk jobs.
(b) Out of state jobs.
(c) School jobs.
(d) Labor jobs.
2. How old was Luis's dad when he married Luis's mom?
3. What happens when Luis's family has to move in with a relative?
(a) They become closer.
(b) They cry all the time.
(c) They are constantly fighting.
(d) They begin to hate each other.
4. What city is Watts in?
(a) San Diego.
5. What instrument does Luis want to learn how to play when he is in high school?
6. Why is the gang taken into custody after the fight at the beach?
(a) Drugs and alcohol.
(d) Assaulting a police officer.
7. Who does Luis's family move in with after his father loses his great job?
8. What does Shed give Luis and Rano for stealing?
9. What was injured in the fight that prompted police to respond?
(a) Seni's husband.
(c) The mother.
10. Luis thinks he would be able to kill, but not as part of what?
(a) A theft.
(b) A shooting.
(c) A burglary.
(d) A gang.
11. Where does Luis's family have to put all of their possessions when they have to move after the father loses his job?
(a) The garage.
(b) They leave them behind.
(c) They sell them.
(d) A storage locker.
12. Who usually doesn't go to the "real beach?"
13. What did Luis's father vow after the accusations in the beginning of the book?
(a) To be a better husband.
(b) To leave the country.
(c) To be a better father.
(d) To never work in a school again.
14. Besides an eye, what else do the gang members think their comrade has lost in the shooting?
(a) His nerve.
(b) His money.
(c) His patience.
(d) His excitement.
15. What happened in the accusations against Luis's father?
(a) He was released after a trial.
(b) Charges were dropped after a trial.
(c) He was eventually found innocent.
(d) He was found guilty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Luis's father angry in this memory at the beginning of the book?
2. Who is often ill in the family?
3. How long did Luis's father's new job last?
4. What happens when people sign up to get a subscription that Luis and Rano are selling in the neighborhood?
5. What was the weapon used in the fight that prompted police to respond?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)