|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jandro have Luis and Rano steal?
(c) Specific cars.
2. What does Luis's mother occasionally do for work?
(a) Work at the mall.
(b) Work at fast-food restaurant.
(c) Take care of children or cleaning houses.
(d) Work at Walgreens.
3. Who thinks that Luis's thoughts on killing are a problem?
(c) Luis's father.
4. What seem to the be the only kinds of jobs Luis's father can find when he first comes to America?
(a) Labor jobs.
(b) Out of state jobs.
(c) Desk jobs.
(d) School jobs.
5. How are students divided at Luis's high school?
(a) By learning level.
(b) By race and social class.
(c) By neighborhoods.
(d) By grade.
6. Besides an eye, what else do the gang members think their comrade has lost in the shooting?
(a) His money.
(b) His nerve.
(c) His excitement.
(d) His patience.
7. What city is Watts in?
(b) San Diego.
8. Why was Luis's father angry in this memory at the beginning of the book?
(a) He does not want to visit Union Station.
(b) He doesn't think Luis should be reading comic books.
(c) He refuses to go back to Mexico.
(d) He doesn't want Luis to have candy.
9. What do Rano and Luis steal for Shed Cowager?
(c) Bikes, jewerly, and other things.
10. What was injured in the fight that prompted police to respond?
(a) Seni's husband.
(d) The mother.
11. Luis thinks he would be able to kill, but not as part of what?
(a) A shooting.
(b) A gang.
(c) A theft.
(d) A burglary.
12. Before Yuk-Yuk, had Luis stolen before?
(a) Occasionally he would rob a home.
(b) Yes, and the same type of big stuff.
(d) Yes, but never anything big.
13. What job is Luis a champion at after he begins working to help support the family?
(a) Grocery store.
(b) Waiting tables.
(c) Gas station.
(d) Newspaper delivery.
14. What happens at the concession stand when Luis is there on a gang mission?
(a) Luis begins to cry.
(b) Rano kills a man.
(c) Shed kills a man.
(d) A man can't open the safe.
15. How was Luis's first Christmas in Watts?
(a) Not good.
(b) The best ever.
(c) Better than Mexico.
(d) The usual.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Luis's family move in with after his father loses his great job?
2. Who takes up the challenge to fight at the beach?
3. Why was Luis's father jailed after his parents were married?
4. Who usually doesn't go to the "real beach?"
5. Who works at a car wash when Luis's mother tell the boys to get jobs?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)