|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Luis's family move in with after his father loses his great job?
2. Who loses an eye in the gang shooting?
3. What did Luis's father vow after the accusations in the beginning of the book?
(a) To be a better husband.
(b) To be a better father.
(c) To leave the country.
(d) To never work in a school again.
4. Who disappears without a trace after being injured in a gang shooting?
5. Why did Yuk-yuk get his nickname?
(a) Because his dad tells jokes.
(b) Because he hates jokes.
(c) Because of his distinctive laugh.
(d) Because the gang likes to laugh at him.
6. Who is often ill in the family?
(a) Luis's sister.
(b) Luis's mother.
(c) Luis's father.
7. In what country did Luis's family originally live?
(c) Puerto Rico.
8. What does Luis's mother occasionally do for work?
(a) Work at Walgreens.
(b) Take care of children or cleaning houses.
(c) Work at fast-food restaurant.
(d) Work at the mall.
9. What seem to the be the only kinds of jobs Luis's father can find when he first comes to America?
(a) School jobs.
(b) Out of state jobs.
(c) Desk jobs.
(d) Labor jobs.
10. What was Luis's father doing when he met his mother?
(a) Leaving for New York.
(b) Participating in a foreign study program.
(c) Forming a gang.
(d) Becoming a teacher.
11. What happens at the concession stand when Luis is there on a gang mission?
(a) Rano kills a man.
(b) A man can't open the safe.
(c) Luis begins to cry.
(d) Shed kills a man.
12. How old was Luis in the memory he recalls at the beginning of the book?
13. What did Luis's mother buy him in the memory at the beginning of the book?
(a) A candy bar.
(b) A toothbrush.
(c) A comic book.
(d) A lollipop.
14. Besides an eye, what else do the gang members think their comrade has lost in the shooting?
(a) His patience.
(b) His money.
(c) His excitement.
(d) His nerve.
15. What is Yuk-Yuk's real name?
(b) Claudio Ponce.
(c) Jim Smith.
(d) Black dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the gang taken into custody after the fight at the beach?
2. After stealing for Shed and Jandro, what do Luis and Rano graduate to?
3. Whose fight prompted the police to come to where Luis's family was staying in the beginning of the book?
4. Who is the friction between at the beach?
5. How does Luis describe his family's house in Watts?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)