|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who disappears without a trace after being injured in a gang shooting?
2. What was Luis's father doing when he met his mother?
(a) Participating in a foreign study program.
(b) Leaving for New York.
(c) Becoming a teacher.
(d) Forming a gang.
3. What instrument does Luis want to learn how to play when he is in high school?
4. What happens the first time Luis begins school in America?
(a) A teacher welcomes him with open arms.
(b) A teacher objects to having him in the class.
(c) He is tranferred to a different school.
(d) He speaks English clearly.
5. How does Luis describe his family's house in Watts?
(a) A tiny box.
(b) A perfectly fine place.
(c) A matchbox of a place.
(d) A large castle.
6. In what country did Luis's family originally live?
(a) Puerto Rico.
7. What did Luis do with his toys that first Christmas?
(a) Broke them.
(b) Hid them.
(c) Traded them.
(d) Gave them away.
8. What did Luis's father vow after the accusations in the beginning of the book?
(a) To be a better husband.
(b) To be a better father.
(c) To never work in a school again.
(d) To leave the country.
9. Where did that memory take place that is described at the beginning of the book?
(b) Union Station.
(c) Los Angeles.
10. What kind of car goes by when a gang member is shot in the face?
(a) An old car.
(b) A car without plates.
(c) A new car.
(d) A convertible.
11. What seem to the be the only kinds of jobs Luis's father can find when he first comes to America?
(a) Desk jobs.
(b) School jobs.
(c) Labor jobs.
(d) Out of state jobs.
12. Who thinks that Luis's thoughts on killing are a problem?
(c) Luis's father.
13. Before Yuk-Yuk, had Luis stolen before?
(a) Occasionally he would rob a home.
(b) Yes, but never anything big.
(c) Yes, and the same type of big stuff.
14. Why does Luis's father get fired from his new job?
(a) The students couldn't understand his accent.
(b) He came to work drunk.
(c) His coworkers hated him.
(d) He was always late.
15. What happens at the concession stand when Luis is there on a gang mission?
(a) Rano kills a man.
(b) Luis begins to cry.
(c) A man can't open the safe.
(d) Shed kills a man.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Luis's dad when he married Luis's mom?
2. Why was Luis's father angry in this memory at the beginning of the book?
3. Who ends up painting a mural on the concession stand that is the scene of a gang incident?
4. Who takes up the challenge to fight at the beach?
5. How old is Luis when his mom says he must help support the family?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)