|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hears Soneji moving through the house and alerts Cross?
2. What was Jezzie's sentence for kidnapping and murder?
3. Where does Devine tell Cross the information he wants is located?
4. Who does Cross ask for permission to hypnotize Murphy?
5. What does Cross stab Soneji with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cross' grandmother warn him away from Jezzie?
2. What does Cross refuse to do on the witness stand?
3. What is one of Soneji's revelations to Cross when Cross goes back to see him after his conviction?
4. Why does Soneji go after Devine to get the ransom money?
5. What is the verdict in the Murphy/Soneji case?
6. What reinforces the suggestion that Soneji has had a partner in his deeds?
7. After the investigation is closed, and Cross goes to talk to the Secret Service agents, why does he feel that they are hiding something?
8. When the investigation into Maggie Rose is closed, and Cross goes back over the interviews, what does Cross discover about Soneji's possible accomplice?
9. After the investigation is closed and Cross receives a call from Soneji, what does Soneji want?
10. How does Soneji escape from prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What clues were given that Soneji was not the criminal mastermind behind the kidnapping of Maggie Rose? How did these clues function as foreshadowing? Cite specific examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is Nana Mama's function in the story? Is she Cross' conscience or something else? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the reactions and feelings of Cross while he is participating in the ransom events to the reactions and feelings of Maggie Rose while she is kidnapped. Support your answers with examples from the text.
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)