|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shoots Soneji?
2. Where does Jezzie say Maggie is?
3. From where was the reporter from who got a picture of Jezzie and Cross at a hotel?
4. What is the name of the prison that Soneji is being held in after his trial?
5. How long was Maggie warned she will be in darkness if she runs away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of Soneji's revelations to Cross when Cross goes back to see him after his conviction?
2. When the investigation into Maggie Rose is closed, and Cross goes back over the interviews, what does Cross discover about Soneji's possible accomplice?
3. After Cross uses the press to get his way, what happens?
4. Why is Jezzie sentenced to death?
5. What is Soneji doing in Washington, D.C.?
6. After the investigation is closed, and Cross goes to talk to the Secret Service agents, why does he feel that they are hiding something?
7. What does Cross' presence at Jezzie's death symbolize?
8. Why is it important, during the hypnosis in the courtroom, that Murphy remembers Soneji becoming angry and damaging Michael's body?
9. How does Cross use the press?
10. How does Soneji escape from prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does family play in the story? Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, explain the role that race plays in the story. Is this a major or minor theme throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Cross' effectiveness as a cop to his effectiveness as a psychologist. Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)