|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Jezzie and Cross are sleeping, what is burnt in Jezzie's front yard?
2. Who does Cross ask for permission to hypnotize Murphy?
3. Where does Devine want Jezzie to run off with him to?
4. Who does Cross re-interview to find out more about the kidnapping of Maggie Rose once he becomes obsessed with finding her?
5. How does Soneji get away from the prison with the supervisor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reinforces the suggestion that Soneji has had a partner in his deeds?
2. What is Soneji doing in Washington, D.C.?
3. Why does Cross' grandmother warn him away from Jezzie?
4. How does Cross use the press?
5. What is Devine pressuring Jezzie to do?
6. What is the verdict in the Murphy/Soneji case?
7. When the investigation into Maggie Rose is closed, and Cross goes back over the interviews, what does Cross discover about Soneji's possible accomplice?
8. Why is it important, during the hypnosis in the courtroom, that Murphy remembers Soneji becoming angry and damaging Michael's body?
9. What is one of Soneji's revelations to Cross when Cross goes back to see him after his conviction?
10. After the investigation is closed and Cross receives a call from Soneji, what does Soneji want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What character's journey in the story most closely resembles the story of Maggie Rose and why? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the reactions and feelings of Cross while he is participating in the ransom events to the reactions and feelings of Maggie Rose while she is kidnapped. Support your answers with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Based on the entire novel, why do you think the author chose Jezzie to narrate the introductory material? What purpose would this serve? Would any other character have been more effective? How would using a different character alter the reader's perception of the story? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)