|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jezzie say Maggie is?
2. While Cross is interviewing Gary after his trip to the Virgin Islands, what is Maggie doing?
3. What is the reaction of the people in the courtroom after Murphy is convicted?
4. Who is present to watch Soneji's final showdown with Cross?
5. Who does Cross ask for permission to hypnotize Murphy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jezzie sentenced to death?
2. What does Jezzie reveal when Cross takes her to a deserted island for the second time?
3. After Cross uses the press to get his way, what happens?
4. What is one of Soneji's revelations to Cross when Cross goes back to see him after his conviction?
5. Why does Cross' grandmother warn him away from Jezzie?
6. After the investigation is closed and Cross receives a call from Soneji, what does Soneji want?
7. What is Soneji doing in Washington, D.C.?
8. What does the prosecution do when they present the case against Soneji?
9. What is Devine pressuring Jezzie to do?
10. How does Cross use the press?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the story use empathy? What characters are empathetic, and to whom? What does empathy add to the story and to the characters? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the reactions and feelings of Cross while he is participating in the ransom events to the reactions and feelings of Maggie Rose while she is kidnapped. Support your answers with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What role does family play in the story? Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)