|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cross find Soneji in his house?
2. The Monday after Cross and Jezzie go to Jezzie's summer home, who is the first witness on the stand?
3. What is the job of Cross' friend that helps Cross get permission to hypnotize Murphy?
4. What does Soneji do in his cell in order to get the supervisor called in?
5. Where do Jezzie and Cross try to go, and Cross gets into a fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cross' grandmother warn him away from Jezzie?
2. What does the prosecution do when they present the case against Soneji?
3. What is Soneji doing in Washington, D.C.?
4. Why does Soneji go to the White House?
5. What is one of Soneji's revelations to Cross when Cross goes back to see him after his conviction?
6. What does Cross refuse to do on the witness stand?
7. What does Jezzie reveal when Cross takes her to a deserted island for the second time?
8. Why is it important, during the hypnosis in the courtroom, that Murphy remembers Soneji becoming angry and damaging Michael's body?
9. What reinforces the suggestion that Soneji has had a partner in his deeds?
10. After the investigation is closed and Cross receives a call from Soneji, what does Soneji want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Nana Mama's function in the story? Is she Cross' conscience or something else? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What role do children play in the story? Compare and contrast the roles of three children in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the character of Jezzie before her last trip to the Islands with Cross and after the trip. In what ways is the character the same and different? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)