|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reaction of the people in the courtroom after Murphy is convicted?
2. What happens to Devine's partner?
3. Who does Soneji believe took Maggie Rose?
4. What does Jezzie walk out to, after discovering someone in the house?
5. What does Soneji threaten Devine with to discover the location of the ransom money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cross' grandmother warn him away from Jezzie?
2. After Cross uses the press to get his way, what happens?
3. Why is Jezzie sentenced to death?
4. What does Jezzie reveal when Cross takes her to a deserted island for the second time?
5. What does the prosecution do when they present the case against Soneji?
6. What does Cross' presence at Jezzie's death symbolize?
7. What is one of Soneji's revelations to Cross when Cross goes back to see him after his conviction?
8. Why is it important, during the hypnosis in the courtroom, that Murphy remembers Soneji becoming angry and damaging Michael's body?
9. What is the verdict in the Murphy/Soneji case?
10. Why does Soneji go to the White House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the definition of a hero? Who is the hero in the book? Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of trust evident throughout the story? Which character is the most trustworthy and why? Which character is the least trustworthy and why? Does your opinion of any character's trustworthiness change throughout the novel? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What role does family play in the story? Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)