|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cross take the information that Soneji gives him?
2. When Cross learns Maggie's location, who does he take to get her?
3. Where do Jezzie and Cross try to go, and Cross gets into a fight?
4. Who is posted outside Devine's hotel room?
5. In what month does Murphy's trial begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Soneji doing in Washington, D.C.?
2. What does Jezzie reveal when Cross takes her to a deserted island for the second time?
3. Why does Soneji go after Devine to get the ransom money?
4. What is the verdict in the Murphy/Soneji case?
5. What does Cross' presence at Jezzie's death symbolize?
6. What is Devine pressuring Jezzie to do?
7. What is one of Soneji's revelations to Cross when Cross goes back to see him after his conviction?
8. What reinforces the suggestion that Soneji has had a partner in his deeds?
9. Why is Jezzie sentenced to death?
10. How does Cross use the press?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, explain the role that race plays in the story. Is this a major or minor theme throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
What role do children play in the story? Compare and contrast the roles of three children in the story.
Essay Topic 3
What is the definition of a hero? Who is the hero in the book? Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)