|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Jezzie and Cross a controversial couple?
2. Where do Jezzie and Cross try to go, and Cross gets into a fight?
3. What is Soneji's sentence for his role in everything?
4. Who shoots Soneji?
5. What does Jezzie walk out to, after discovering someone in the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reinforces the suggestion that Soneji has had a partner in his deeds?
2. Why does Soneji go to the White House?
3. What does the prosecution do when they present the case against Soneji?
4. After Cross uses the press to get his way, what happens?
5. Why is Jezzie sentenced to death?
6. What is Devine pressuring Jezzie to do?
7. How does Soneji escape from prison?
8. When the investigation into Maggie Rose is closed, and Cross goes back over the interviews, what does Cross discover about Soneji's possible accomplice?
9. Why does Soneji go after Devine to get the ransom money?
10. What does Cross refuse to do on the witness stand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does justice appear as a theme in the story? Is justice served in the end? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, explain the role that race plays in the story. Is this a major or minor theme throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the relationship between Cross and his partner to the relationship that Jezzie has with her agents. In what ways are these relationships similar? In what ways do the relationships reflect the main characters? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)