|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cross take the information that Soneji gives him?
2. Who does Soneji take hostage after leaving Cross' house?
3. Who does Cross run into after he has testified and has left the courtroom?
4. Who hears Soneji moving through the house and alerts Cross?
5. The Monday after Cross and Jezzie go to Jezzie's summer home, who is the first witness on the stand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the verdict in the Murphy/Soneji case?
2. What reinforces the suggestion that Soneji has had a partner in his deeds?
3. What is one of Soneji's revelations to Cross when Cross goes back to see him after his conviction?
4. Why does Soneji go after Devine to get the ransom money?
5. After the investigation is closed and Cross receives a call from Soneji, what does Soneji want?
6. Why is it important, during the hypnosis in the courtroom, that Murphy remembers Soneji becoming angry and damaging Michael's body?
7. What does Cross' presence at Jezzie's death symbolize?
8. Why does Soneji go to the White House?
9. What is Soneji doing in Washington, D.C.?
10. What does the prosecution do when they present the case against Soneji?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the definition of a hero? Who is the hero in the book? Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What role do children play in the story? Compare and contrast the roles of three children in the story.
Essay Topic 3
During the trial and conviction, of Murphy/Soneji, how is the theme of appearances raised, presented, and interpreted? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)