|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Soneji spotted after he leaves the Cross home?
2. Where does Cross find Soneji in his house?
3. When Cross returns home from the Virgin Islands, where does his partner ask him to go?
4. Where does Jezzie say Maggie is?
5. What does Cross stab Soneji with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Soneji go to the White House?
2. What is Devine pressuring Jezzie to do?
3. Why does Cross' grandmother warn him away from Jezzie?
4. What reinforces the suggestion that Soneji has had a partner in his deeds?
5. After the investigation is closed, and Cross goes to talk to the Secret Service agents, why does he feel that they are hiding something?
6. What is the verdict in the Murphy/Soneji case?
7. Why is it important, during the hypnosis in the courtroom, that Murphy remembers Soneji becoming angry and damaging Michael's body?
8. Why is Jezzie sentenced to death?
9. Why does Soneji go after Devine to get the ransom money?
10. How does Soneji escape from prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What clues were given that Soneji was not the criminal mastermind behind the kidnapping of Maggie Rose? How did these clues function as foreshadowing? Cite specific examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is Nana Mama's function in the story? Is she Cross' conscience or something else? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of trust evident throughout the story? Which character is the most trustworthy and why? Which character is the least trustworthy and why? Does your opinion of any character's trustworthiness change throughout the novel? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)