|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cross ask for permission to hypnotize Murphy?
2. When Murphy is reciting memories under hypnotism, what does he do to Cross?
3. Who is Mike Devine?
4. What is Soneji's sentence for his role in everything?
5. While Jezzie and Cross are sleeping, what is burnt in Jezzie's front yard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jezzie reveal when Cross takes her to a deserted island for the second time?
2. How does Cross use the press?
3. After Cross uses the press to get his way, what happens?
4. What does Cross' presence at Jezzie's death symbolize?
5. What does Cross refuse to do on the witness stand?
6. Why does Cross' grandmother warn him away from Jezzie?
7. After the investigation is closed, and Cross goes to talk to the Secret Service agents, why does he feel that they are hiding something?
8. After the investigation is closed and Cross receives a call from Soneji, what does Soneji want?
9. What is Soneji doing in Washington, D.C.?
10. What is one of Soneji's revelations to Cross when Cross goes back to see him after his conviction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the character of Jezzie before her last trip to the Islands with Cross and after the trip. In what ways is the character the same and different? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Cross show strength and determination when dealing with Soneji before, during, and after his trial? What other characteristics does Cross strongly portray throughout the trial? Did you learn anything about his character during the trial? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What character's journey in the story most closely resembles the story of Maggie Rose and why? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)