|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Soneji believe took Maggie Rose?
2. What does Soneji do in his cell in order to get the supervisor called in?
3. What does Soneji do to the supervisor at the farm?
4. How long was Maggie warned she will be in darkness if she runs away?
5. Who does Cross ask for permission to hypnotize Murphy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cross' presence at Jezzie's death symbolize?
2. When the investigation into Maggie Rose is closed, and Cross goes back over the interviews, what does Cross discover about Soneji's possible accomplice?
3. What reinforces the suggestion that Soneji has had a partner in his deeds?
4. After Cross uses the press to get his way, what happens?
5. Why does Soneji go after Devine to get the ransom money?
6. After the investigation is closed, and Cross goes to talk to the Secret Service agents, why does he feel that they are hiding something?
7. What is Devine pressuring Jezzie to do?
8. What does Jezzie reveal when Cross takes her to a deserted island for the second time?
9. How does Cross use the press?
10. What does Cross refuse to do on the witness stand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does family play in the story? Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What clues were given that Soneji was not the criminal mastermind behind the kidnapping of Maggie Rose? How did these clues function as foreshadowing? Cite specific examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the kidnapping of Maggie Rose to the Lindbergh kidnapping. How are they similar and different? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)