|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the mother that Cross re-interviews, where was the man who was with Soneji at the Sanders murder?
2. Who does Cross re-interview to find out more about the kidnapping of Maggie Rose once he becomes obsessed with finding her?
3. Who is present to watch Soneji's final showdown with Cross?
4. From what type of paper was the reporter who got a picture of Jezzie and Cross at a hotel?
5. Who does Soneji take hostage after leaving Cross' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Devine pressuring Jezzie to do?
2. What does Cross refuse to do on the witness stand?
3. What does Cross' presence at Jezzie's death symbolize?
4. Why does Soneji go to the White House?
5. Why does Cross' grandmother warn him away from Jezzie?
6. What is one of Soneji's revelations to Cross when Cross goes back to see him after his conviction?
7. What does Jezzie reveal when Cross takes her to a deserted island for the second time?
8. When the investigation into Maggie Rose is closed, and Cross goes back over the interviews, what does Cross discover about Soneji's possible accomplice?
9. What is Soneji doing in Washington, D.C.?
10. After the investigation is closed and Cross receives a call from Soneji, what does Soneji want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the mayor and the press. How are their actions towards Cross similar and different? Does one treat Cross more or less fairly than the other? Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, explain the role that race plays in the story. Is this a major or minor theme throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the kidnapping of Maggie Rose to the Lindbergh kidnapping. How are they similar and different? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)