|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Jezzie and Cross stay at the Virgin Islands the first time?
2. What does Jezzie walk out to, after discovering someone in the house?
3. Who does Cross re-interview to find out more about the kidnapping of Maggie Rose once he becomes obsessed with finding her?
4. What is the reaction of the people in the courtroom after Murphy is convicted?
5. From what type of paper was the reporter who got a picture of Jezzie and Cross at a hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of Soneji's revelations to Cross when Cross goes back to see him after his conviction?
2. What reinforces the suggestion that Soneji has had a partner in his deeds?
3. What is Devine pressuring Jezzie to do?
4. Why does Soneji go after Devine to get the ransom money?
5. When the investigation into Maggie Rose is closed, and Cross goes back over the interviews, what does Cross discover about Soneji's possible accomplice?
6. Why does Soneji go to the White House?
7. How does Soneji escape from prison?
8. What does the prosecution do when they present the case against Soneji?
9. Why is Jezzie sentenced to death?
10. After the investigation is closed and Cross receives a call from Soneji, what does Soneji want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of trust evident throughout the story? Which character is the most trustworthy and why? Which character is the least trustworthy and why? Does your opinion of any character's trustworthiness change throughout the novel? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, explain the role that race plays in the story. Is this a major or minor theme throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the character of Jezzie before her last trip to the Islands with Cross and after the trip. In what ways is the character the same and different? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)