|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jezzie when she gives Cross Maggie's location?
2. What does the defense attorney suggest Cross do, in the courtroom, to Murphy?
3. Where does Cross take the information that Soneji gives him?
4. From where was the reporter from who got a picture of Jezzie and Cross at a hotel?
5. Who does Soneji take hostage after leaving Cross' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the verdict in the Murphy/Soneji case?
2. After the investigation is closed, and Cross goes to talk to the Secret Service agents, why does he feel that they are hiding something?
3. What does Jezzie reveal when Cross takes her to a deserted island for the second time?
4. What does Cross' presence at Jezzie's death symbolize?
5. What reinforces the suggestion that Soneji has had a partner in his deeds?
6. How does Cross use the press?
7. What does the prosecution do when they present the case against Soneji?
8. How does Soneji escape from prison?
9. Why does Soneji go after Devine to get the ransom money?
10. Why does Soneji go to the White House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the mayor and the press. How are their actions towards Cross similar and different? Does one treat Cross more or less fairly than the other? Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Cross show strength and determination when dealing with Soneji before, during, and after his trial? What other characteristics does Cross strongly portray throughout the trial? Did you learn anything about his character during the trial? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What character's journey in the story most closely resembles the story of Maggie Rose and why? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)