|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Jezzie and Cross are sleeping, what is burnt in Jezzie's front yard?
2. Where is Jezzie's summer house located?
3. Who does Cross ask for permission to hypnotize Murphy?
4. Who does Cross re-interview to find out more about the kidnapping of Maggie Rose once he becomes obsessed with finding her?
5. Who is present to watch Soneji's final showdown with Cross?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cross' grandmother warn him away from Jezzie?
2. Why is it important, during the hypnosis in the courtroom, that Murphy remembers Soneji becoming angry and damaging Michael's body?
3. When the investigation into Maggie Rose is closed, and Cross goes back over the interviews, what does Cross discover about Soneji's possible accomplice?
4. How does Soneji escape from prison?
5. How does Cross use the press?
6. What is one of Soneji's revelations to Cross when Cross goes back to see him after his conviction?
7. What is Devine pressuring Jezzie to do?
8. Why does Soneji go to the White House?
9. After Cross uses the press to get his way, what happens?
10. What reinforces the suggestion that Soneji has had a partner in his deeds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Cross show strength and determination when dealing with Soneji before, during, and after his trial? What other characteristics does Cross strongly portray throughout the trial? Did you learn anything about his character during the trial? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Based on the entire novel, why do you think the author chose Jezzie to narrate the introductory material? What purpose would this serve? Would any other character have been more effective? How would using a different character alter the reader's perception of the story? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What role does family play in the story? Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)