|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mike Devine?
2. In what month does Murphy's trial begin?
3. Who shoots Soneji?
4. Where does Cross find Soneji in his house?
5. Who is the surprise witness at the end of the day for the defense?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cross' presence at Jezzie's death symbolize?
2. What is Devine pressuring Jezzie to do?
3. What is the verdict in the Murphy/Soneji case?
4. What does the prosecution do when they present the case against Soneji?
5. Why does Soneji go after Devine to get the ransom money?
6. What reinforces the suggestion that Soneji has had a partner in his deeds?
7. After Cross uses the press to get his way, what happens?
8. What does Cross refuse to do on the witness stand?
9. Why does Soneji go to the White House?
10. How does Cross use the press?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the definition of a hero? Who is the hero in the book? Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Cross' effectiveness as a cop to his effectiveness as a psychologist. Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Based on the entire novel, why do you think the author chose Jezzie to narrate the introductory material? What purpose would this serve? Would any other character have been more effective? How would using a different character alter the reader's perception of the story? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)