|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Jezzie and Cross a controversial couple?
2. What does Jezzie walk out to, after discovering someone in the house?
3. Where does Devine tell Cross the information he wants is located?
4. Why is Soneji at the Cross home?
5. Who is the surprise witness at the end of the day for the defense?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Soneji go to the White House?
2. What does Jezzie reveal when Cross takes her to a deserted island for the second time?
3. What reinforces the suggestion that Soneji has had a partner in his deeds?
4. Why is Jezzie sentenced to death?
5. What is one of Soneji's revelations to Cross when Cross goes back to see him after his conviction?
6. When the investigation into Maggie Rose is closed, and Cross goes back over the interviews, what does Cross discover about Soneji's possible accomplice?
7. Why is it important, during the hypnosis in the courtroom, that Murphy remembers Soneji becoming angry and damaging Michael's body?
8. How does Cross use the press?
9. What is Devine pressuring Jezzie to do?
10. What is Soneji doing in Washington, D.C.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the story use empathy? What characters are empathetic, and to whom? What does empathy add to the story and to the characters? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What clues were given that Soneji was not the criminal mastermind behind the kidnapping of Maggie Rose? How did these clues function as foreshadowing? Cite specific examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, explain the role that race plays in the story. Is this a major or minor theme throughout the book?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)