|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the headline on Soneji's apartment wall say?
2. Who does Gary say he is with in order to gain access to Vivian's house?
3. What do Cross and Jezzie do after they workout?
4. Where is Cross hit when he jumps the pilot of the plane?
5. When Maggie Rose calls out to a stranger who is calling out to her, what does she get?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show the importance of Jezzie Flanagan?
2. What can Missy Murphy not understand about her husband Gary?
3. What is the Lindbergh kidnapping?
4. What does Jezzie's position as a supervisor in the Secret Service suggest about her?
5. What causes Soneji to take a McDonald's hostage?
6. What does Cross find when he arrives, the first time, to interview Soneji at Lorton Federal Prison in Virginia?
7. Why is the appearance of Maggie's shoe at Ms. Kim's murder scene important?
8. What happens when Cross is approached by the man as he exits the tram at Disney World?
9. What do Cross and Sampson find when they first arrive at the private school?
10. Why is it important that Cross knows about Soneji's background?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the story use empathy? What characters are empathetic, and to whom? What does empathy add to the story and to the characters? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does justice appear as a theme in the story? Is justice served in the end? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the reactions and feelings of Cross while he is participating in the ransom events to the reactions and feelings of Maggie Rose while she is kidnapped. Support your answers with examples from the text.
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)