|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many state troopers arrive to the restaurant Soneji is taking hostage?
2. What do the police find when they answer a tip about a box buried in the ground?
3. The person receiving the ransom wants to leave with Cross and the money before what happens?
4. What does Gary do at the party while the children play games?
5. What happens to the state trooper who sneaks around the back of the restaurant Soneji is holding hostage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Jezzie to cry for the first time, while she is at the Maryland farm?
2. What caused Cross and Sampson to be taken off the investigation of Maggie Rose's kidnapping?
3. What is the Lindbergh kidnapping?
4. Why is FBI Special Agent Roger Graham important to the story?
5. What proves to the police that the location in Maryland is where Maggie and Michael were held?
6. Why does Maggie Rose feel she is in the spotlight?
7. Why does Cross lose his temper at the soup kitchen?
8. What does Soneji think is funny when he drives through the toll booth?
9. What is one reason that Gary is trying to show, while he is in prison, that he has multiple personalities?
10. When Maggie is underground and a bright light appears, what does she do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, answer the following question: Is it important to the story to know if Soneji/Murphy truly has multiple personality disorder?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of trust evident throughout the story? Which character is the most trustworthy and why? Which character is the least trustworthy and why? Does your opinion of any character's trustworthiness change throughout the novel? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the character of Jezzie before her last trip to the Islands with Cross and after the trip. In what ways is the character the same and different? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)