|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes up to Graham's car to speak with him?
2. Who does the press see as the scapegoat for failing to rescue Maggie?
3. What restaurant does Soneji take hostage?
4. What does Gary's wife's brother bring for their daughter?
5. What state is the body found in that Cross is notified of while examining Michael's bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens, on Christmas morning, in the story?
2. What is the difference between what the trial of the Lindbergh kidnapping centered on and what the story at the beginning of the book centers on?
3. Why does Cross lose his temper at the soup kitchen?
4. What causes Jezzie to cry for the first time, while she is at the Maryland farm?
5. What is one of Soneji's revelations to Cross when Cross goes back to see him after his conviction?
6. Why does Soneji go to the White House?
7. When Marty tells Gary and Missy that Gary owes Marty's company thousands of dollars, what is Gary thinking about?
8. What does Cross see when he gets to the murder scene in Langley Terrace?
9. What was Gary's childhood like, according to Missy?
10. What proves to the police that the location in Maryland is where Maggie and Michael were held?
Essay Topic 1
Compare the character of Jezzie before her last trip to the Islands with Cross and after the trip. In what ways is the character the same and different? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What clues were given that Soneji was not the criminal mastermind behind the kidnapping of Maggie Rose? How did these clues function as foreshadowing? Cite specific examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the definition of a hero? Who is the hero in the book? Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)