|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The person receiving the ransom wants to leave with Cross and the money before what happens?
2. Who is Maggie's best friend?
3. When Maggie wakes in the box, what is she dying of?
4. What else does Gary suffer from, as Cross learned in his interrogation of Gary?
5. What does Gary do at the party while the children play games?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Marty tells Gary and Missy that Gary owes Marty's company thousands of dollars, what is Gary thinking about?
2. What does the introduction of the Lindbergh kidnapping at the beginning of the book suggest?
3. After Cross uses the press to get his way, what happens?
4. When the investigation into Maggie Rose is closed, and Cross goes back over the interviews, what does Cross discover about Soneji's possible accomplice?
5. Why is the appearance of Maggie's shoe at Ms. Kim's murder scene important?
6. What happens, on Christmas morning, in the story?
7. Why is Jezzie sentenced to death?
8. After the investigation is closed, and Cross goes to talk to the Secret Service agents, why does he feel that they are hiding something?
9. Why does Maggie Rose feel she is in the spotlight?
10. What does Cross' presence at Jezzie's death symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the entire novel, why do you think the author chose Jezzie to narrate the introductory material? What purpose would this serve? Would any other character have been more effective? How would using a different character alter the reader's perception of the story? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of trust evident throughout the story? Which character is the most trustworthy and why? Which character is the least trustworthy and why? Does your opinion of any character's trustworthiness change throughout the novel? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does the story use empathy? What characters are empathetic, and to whom? What does empathy add to the story and to the characters? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)