|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What restaurant does Soneji take hostage?
2. What does the note on Graham's body tell the investigators not to steal?
3. Where does the sharpshooter hit Soneji?
4. What kind of search begins on Christmas morning?
5. What does the autopsy report say that Michael's death was?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Soneji to take a McDonald's hostage?
2. What does Cross find when he arrives, the first time, to interview Soneji at Lorton Federal Prison in Virginia?
3. Why is Cross drawn to the boy at the murder scene in Langley Terrace?
4. Why is the first mention of the press important to the story?
5. What does the dinner date and mild flirtation between Cross and Jezzie suggest?
6. Why did Cross save Soneji from being shot to death by the sharpshooters?
7. What caused Cross and Sampson to be taken off the investigation of Maggie Rose's kidnapping?
8. Why is Cross unhappy with his boss in the early part of the story?
9. What is the Lindbergh kidnapping?
10. During the part of the story where the ransom drop is taking place, what is one reason the reader might think that Soneji is not the mastermind of the kidnapping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does justice appear as a theme in the story? Is justice served in the end? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does the story use empathy? What characters are empathetic, and to whom? What does empathy add to the story and to the characters? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Based on the entire novel, why do you think the author chose Jezzie to narrate the introductory material? What purpose would this serve? Would any other character have been more effective? How would using a different character alter the reader's perception of the story? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)