|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the investigative team meet to learn of Graham's death?
2. What do the psychiatrists, who interviewed Gary at the federal prison, think is wrong with him?
3. Where do Cross and the mayor drive to talk about the kidnapping investigation?
4. What does the headline on Soneji's apartment wall say?
5. While Cross is examining Michael's bedroom, he gets a call that says a body has been found where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Jezzie to cry for the first time, while she is at the Maryland farm?
2. If Gary is able to plead insanity at trial, what happens to him?
3. Why is the first mention of the press important to the story?
4. Why does Cross lose his temper at the soup kitchen?
5. Why does Maggie Rose feel she is in the spotlight?
6. Why should the reader think that the chances of survival for Maggie Rose are small?
7. What does Soneji think is funny when he drives through the toll booth?
8. Why is Cross drawn to the boy at the murder scene in Langley Terrace?
9. What has happened to the claims, over the years, that Hauptmann wasn't the real kidnapper in the Lindbergh kidnapping?
10. How does the author show the importance of Jezzie Flanagan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do children play in the story? Compare and contrast the roles of three children in the story.
Essay Topic 2
How does justice appear as a theme in the story? Is justice served in the end? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the character of Jezzie before her last trip to the Islands with Cross and after the trip. In what ways is the character the same and different? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)