|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the box that Gary plans to hold the children?
2. When Cross exits the tram with the ransom, who pushes him back to the tram?
3. Who is Maggie Rose's mother?
4. When Maggie Rose is in her box, what does she think it is?
5. When Jezzie cannot sleep because of thoughts of Michael's death, what does she do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Cross and Sampson find when they first arrive at the private school?
2. What does Cross see when he gets to the murder scene in Langley Terrace?
3. What does Cross' research in the kidnapper's apartment suggest?
4. If Gary is able to plead insanity at trial, what happens to him?
5. Why does Maggie Rose feel she is in the spotlight?
6. What happens, on Christmas morning, in the story?
7. Why should the reader think that the chances of survival for Maggie Rose are small?
8. What happens when Cross is approached by the man as he exits the tram at Disney World?
9. What was Gary's childhood like, according to Missy?
10. What caused Cross and Sampson to be taken off the investigation of Maggie Rose's kidnapping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Nana Mama's function in the story? Is she Cross' conscience or something else? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Based on the entire novel, why do you think the author chose Jezzie to narrate the introductory material? What purpose would this serve? Would any other character have been more effective? How would using a different character alter the reader's perception of the story? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the definition of a hero? Who is the hero in the book? Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)