|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gary take the kids in his van?
2. What does the note on Graham's body tell the investigators not to steal?
3. Where does Soneji cut Graham?
4. What do Cross and Jezzie do after they workout?
5. What does Gary do at the party while the children play games?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why should the reader think that the chances of survival for Maggie Rose are small?
2. What does Cross' research in the kidnapper's apartment suggest?
3. Why is the appearance of Maggie's shoe at Ms. Kim's murder scene important?
4. What causes Soneji to take a McDonald's hostage?
5. If Gary is able to plead insanity at trial, what happens to him?
6. Why did Cross save Soneji from being shot to death by the sharpshooters?
7. Why does Cross think that the murderer in the Langley Terrace case is the same as Ms. Kim's murderer?
8. What is one reason that Gary is trying to show, while he is in prison, that he has multiple personalities?
9. How are Michael and Maggie Rose not like normal children?
10. When Marty tells Gary and Missy that Gary owes Marty's company thousands of dollars, what is Gary thinking about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Cross show strength and determination when dealing with Soneji before, during, and after his trial? What other characteristics does Cross strongly portray throughout the trial? Did you learn anything about his character during the trial? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does the story use empathy? What characters are empathetic, and to whom? What does empathy add to the story and to the characters? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Based on the entire novel, why do you think the author chose Jezzie to narrate the introductory material? What purpose would this serve? Would any other character have been more effective? How would using a different character alter the reader's perception of the story? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)