|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elizabeth react to seeing Ian's home for the first time?
2. What is Elizabeth doing when Robert returns to Havenhurst?
3. What does Ian realize he must do if he wants to marry Elizabeth?
4. What does Robert show to Elizabeth in the hopes of proving his violent stories?
5. Why doesn't Roddy Carstairs want to be seen with Elizabeth at the ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ian react when Belhaven tries to monopolize Elizabeth's time at the ball?
2. What rumor does Ian spread about Elizabeth at the ball, changing her status in high society?
3. Who is the Dowager Duchess?
4. How does Elizabeth prepare for her escape from Ian with Robert?
5. What explanation does Robert give to Elizabeth about his disappearance when he returns to Havenhurst?
6. What is Elizabeth's initial reaction to Montmayne?
7. How does the news from the private investigator affect Elizabeth's decisions on her wedding day?
8. Why does Ian offer to buy Elizabeth's uncle's house?
9. How does Elizabeth feel about shopping at the town markets?
10. How does Elizabeth react to the news that she is now engaged to Ian instead of Belhaven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Elizabeth saves Ian Thornton from a potential duel with Lord Everly, she meets him outside the party, alone. First, explain how Ian Thornton reacts to Elizabeth's feminine charms at the party. Then, explain how Elizabeth responds to Ian's proposals. Finally, compare / contrast Elizabeth's external and internal feelings about Ian Thornton. How does she represent her feelings for him, and how do these representations compare / contrast with her internal, private feelings about him?
Essay Topic 2
When Robert returns to Havenhurst after going missing for so many years, he returns with a mouth full of lies. First, create a list of the lies Robert spreads upon returning home. What do you think his motivations were in spreading all these terrible lies? Then, describe what happened to Elizabeth when she listened to and believed her brother's lies? How was her life altered by his return?
Essay Topic 3
When Elizabeth is first being courted by her suitors, she alters much about herself in order to attract a wealthy mate. First, explain what Elizabeth changed or hid about herself in order to attract men. Why did Elizabeth feel that she could not show her true self in the quest for love? How did the men react to this altered version of Elizabeth's character? How does Elizabeth's alterations directly represent the role of women during this time in high society?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)