|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose memory does Ian keep alive with the contents of the treasure box?
2. How does Ian convince Elizabeth's family to accept his marriage proposal?
3. Where does Robert claim to have been working during the years he was away from home?
4. Why is Elizabeth willing to accept an engagement to a man she is not in love with?
5. Why do Ian and Elizabeth pretend NOT to know one another at the ball at Ian's house?
Essay Topic 1
When Ian Thornton is accused of cheating at a card game, Elizabeth immediately jumps to his defense. First, explain why Ian Thornton is accused of cheating at the game. Was Lord Everly telling the truth about Ian, or was he trying to save his own reputation? How can you tell? Then, explain how Elizabeth used her intelligence and wit to save Ian Thornton from a potentially dangerous duel. What was the direct result of Elizabeth meddling in Ian Thornton's life?
Essay Topic 2
Havenhurst is a place of extreme sentimental value to Elizabeth. First, describe the setting of Havenhurst. Then, explain why this place has such sentimental value to Elizabeth and what she alters in her marriage contract to ensure that it will always be hers. Finally, explain Ian's reaction to seeing Havenhurst for the first time. What does Ian's reaction tell the reader about this place?
Essay Topic 3
When Ian was on trial for murder, Elizabeth rushed home to be at his side. First, explain how Elizabeth managed to convince the jury of Ian's innocence. Then, explain Ian's reaction to Elizabeth's testimony. How does Ian's reaction to the testimony reflect back to his feelings about his family dog after the house fire? What does this reaction tell the reader about Ian's character?
This section contains 1,612 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)