|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes Duncan?
2. Which of the following facts about Ian is true?
3. When Elizabeth enters the ball with her escort, how do the other guests react?
4. On which important day does Elizabeth finally hear back from her private investigator?
5. What does Elizabeth agree to give to Ian in exchange for financial support for her home in Havenhurst?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elizabeth constantly chide Ian about his spending habits?
2. How does Elizabeth react to the news that she is now engaged to Ian instead of Belhaven?
3. What explanation does Robert give to Elizabeth about his disappearance when he returns to Havenhurst?
4. Why is Ian's relationship with his grandfather so strained?
5. Why does Elizabeth prefer to marry an older man?
6. Who is the Dowager Duchess?
7. What stipulations does Elizabeth make before accepting her engagement to Ian?
8. What does Ian realize he must do if he wants to marry Elizabeth?
9. How does Elizabeth prepare for her escape from Ian with Robert?
10. What is Elizabeth's initial reaction to Montmayne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the novel, "Almost Heaven" comes up during a conversation in the Epilogue. What was this conversation about? What is the significance of the speaker who utters the words "Almost Heaven"? Based on the context of this conversation, do you find this to be an appropriate title for the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Elizabeth is first being courted by her suitors, she alters much about herself in order to attract a wealthy mate. First, explain what Elizabeth changed or hid about herself in order to attract men. Why did Elizabeth feel that she could not show her true self in the quest for love? How did the men react to this altered version of Elizabeth's character? How does Elizabeth's alterations directly represent the role of women during this time in high society?
Essay Topic 3
Ian's relationship with his grandfather, the Duke of Stanhope, is a strained one. First, explain what Ian's relationship with his grandfather was like before he met Elizabeth. Then, compare / contrast that the relationship he had with his grandfather after he met Elizabeth. What was the catalyst to the change in this relationship? By the end of the novel, do you think Ian regrets reaching out to his grandfather again? Why or why not?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)