|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following aspects of marriage is most important to Elizabeth when she chooses a suitor?
2. What does Elizabeth enjoy most about shopping at the markets in the village?
3. Where does Elizabeth discover Ian's childhood treasure box?
4. What does Elizabeth agree to give to Ian in exchange for financial support for her home in Havenhurst?
5. How does Ian convince Elizabeth's family to accept his marriage proposal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stipulations does Elizabeth make before accepting her engagement to Ian?
2. How does Elizabeth prepare for her escape from Ian with Robert?
3. Why is Ian's relationship with his grandfather so strained?
4. How does Elizabeth feel about shopping at the town markets?
5. Who is the Dowager Duchess?
6. Who demands that Elizabeth leave Ian's cottage and return to Havenhurst at once?
7. How was Ian's family killed?
8. Why does Elizabeth constantly chide Ian about his spending habits?
9. Why does Elizabeth prefer to marry an older man?
10. How does Elizabeth react to the news that she is now engaged to Ian instead of Belhaven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ian's relationship with his grandfather, the Duke of Stanhope, is a strained one. First, explain what Ian's relationship with his grandfather was like before he met Elizabeth. Then, compare / contrast that the relationship he had with his grandfather after he met Elizabeth. What was the catalyst to the change in this relationship? By the end of the novel, do you think Ian regrets reaching out to his grandfather again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Elizabeth finds herself frequently confused about her feelings about Ian. Choose two examples of scenes in which Elizabeth is confused about her feelings. What prompts the confusion in each of these scenes? How does Elizabeth get to the bottom of her feelings and desires? What message do you think McNaught is attempting to give the readers about the mentality of women at the time in which this novel is set? Do you agree with this message? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Elizabeth is snooping around Ian's home, she finds a treasure box from his childhood. First, explain where Elizabeth found this treasure box, and why it was an unusual place for a lady of her standing to be snooping. Then, explain what items Elizabeth found stored in the treasure box and why Ian had kept these items for all these years. Finally, describe Ian's reaction to seeing the treasure box again. What explanation does he give to Elizabeth for keeping it hidden all this time?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)