|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the contract he signs, which of the following is NOT something Ian inherits when his grandfather dies?
2. What does Elizabeth say when she sees her engagement ring for the first time?
3. Why is Elizabeth willing to accept an engagement to a man she is not in love with?
4. What does Ian agree to let Elizabeth alter in order to appease her about their engagement?
5. To whom is the Dowager Duchess related?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ian convince Elizabeth's family to let him marry her?
2. What stipulations does Elizabeth make before accepting her engagement to Ian?
3. What does Duncan tell Ian about Elizabeth's circumstances after she leaves the cottage?
4. What does Elizabeth discover hidden in a tree house near Ian's cottage?
5. How does Elizabeth react to the news that she is now engaged to Ian instead of Belhaven?
6. Why is Ian's relationship with his grandfather so strained?
7. How does Elizabeth prepare for her escape from Ian with Robert?
8. What new things does Elizabeth learn about Ian after they are married?
9. How was Ian's family killed?
10. How does Ian react when he sees Havenhurst for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gambling had a large effect on the Cameron family's life. First, describe Elizabeth's father's gambling habit and the way it affected his family's life. Then, compare / contrast the gambling habits of Elizabeth's father and her brother. What is the same about their habits? What is different? Finally, explain how Elizabeth's father's gambling habits affected his family even long after his death.
Essay Topic 2
When Elizabeth is snooping around Ian's home, she finds a treasure box from his childhood. First, explain where Elizabeth found this treasure box, and why it was an unusual place for a lady of her standing to be snooping. Then, explain what items Elizabeth found stored in the treasure box and why Ian had kept these items for all these years. Finally, describe Ian's reaction to seeing the treasure box again. What explanation does he give to Elizabeth for keeping it hidden all this time?
Essay Topic 3
Letter writing is a crucial element to communication, and mis-communication, throughout this novel of high jinks. Choose one incident when letter writing was used as a method of confusion. Then, compare / contrast that to an instance with letter writing was used as a method of clarification. Do you think this novel could have proceeded if there were more methods of communication available, such as telephones or emails? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)