|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which important day does Elizabeth finally hear back from her private investigator?
2. Where did Ian have Robert sent after their duel over Elizabeth's honor?
3. Where does Alex's husband claim Elizabeth is on the evening Ian cannot find her?
4. What is Ian's grandfather doing when he must wait impatiently before rushing off to find Elizabeth?
5. What does Ian realize he must do if he wants to marry Elizabeth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elizabeth react when it is time for her and her husband to retire for the evening after their wedding ceremony?
2. How does Ian react when he sees Havenhurst for the first time?
3. How does Elizabeth feel about shopping at the town markets?
4. What explanation does Robert give to Elizabeth about his disappearance when he returns to Havenhurst?
5. Why does Elizabeth prefer to marry an older man?
6. How does Ian convince Elizabeth's family to let him marry her?
7. How does Elizabeth prepare for her escape from Ian with Robert?
8. How does Elizabeth react to the news that she is now engaged to Ian instead of Belhaven?
9. What does Ian realize he must do if he wants to marry Elizabeth?
10. What does Elizabeth's private investigator report to her on the morning of her wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ian Thornton is accused of cheating at a card game, Elizabeth immediately jumps to his defense. First, explain why Ian Thornton is accused of cheating at the game. Was Lord Everly telling the truth about Ian, or was he trying to save his own reputation? How can you tell? Then, explain how Elizabeth used her intelligence and wit to save Ian Thornton from a potentially dangerous duel. What was the direct result of Elizabeth meddling in Ian Thornton's life?
Essay Topic 2
The title of the novel, "Almost Heaven" comes up during a conversation in the Epilogue. What was this conversation about? What is the significance of the speaker who utters the words "Almost Heaven"? Based on the context of this conversation, do you find this to be an appropriate title for the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Robert returns to Havenhurst after going missing for so many years, he returns with a mouth full of lies. First, create a list of the lies Robert spreads upon returning home. What do you think his motivations were in spreading all these terrible lies? Then, describe what happened to Elizabeth when she listened to and believed her brother's lies? How was her life altered by his return?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)