|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elizabeth react to seeing Ian's home for the first time?
2. What ailment does Elizabeth claim is keeping her from returning to London from Havenhurst?
3. Where does Alex's husband claim Elizabeth is on the evening Ian cannot find her?
4. How does Ian's grandfather react to seeing him after so many years away from home?
5. In which city does Ian meet up with his long-lost grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elizabeth prefer to marry an older man?
2. How does Elizabeth prepare for her escape from Ian with Robert?
3. What rumor does Ian spread about Elizabeth at the ball, changing her status in high society?
4. How does Elizabeth feel about shopping at the town markets?
5. How does Elizabeth react to the news that she is now engaged to Ian instead of Belhaven?
6. How does Ian react when Belhaven tries to monopolize Elizabeth's time at the ball?
7. How does Elizabeth react when it is time for her and her husband to retire for the evening after their wedding ceremony?
8. Who is the Dowager Duchess?
9. What stipulations does Elizabeth make before accepting her engagement to Ian?
10. What does Elizabeth's private investigator report to her on the morning of her wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Elizabeth saves Ian Thornton from a potential duel with Lord Everly, she meets him outside the party, alone. First, explain how Ian Thornton reacts to Elizabeth's feminine charms at the party. Then, explain how Elizabeth responds to Ian's proposals. Finally, compare / contrast Elizabeth's external and internal feelings about Ian Thornton. How does she represent her feelings for him, and how do these representations compare / contrast with her internal, private feelings about him?
Essay Topic 2
When Robert returns to Havenhurst after going missing for so many years, he returns with a mouth full of lies. First, create a list of the lies Robert spreads upon returning home. What do you think his motivations were in spreading all these terrible lies? Then, describe what happened to Elizabeth when she listened to and believed her brother's lies? How was her life altered by his return?
Essay Topic 3
When Ian was on trial for murder, Elizabeth rushed home to be at his side. First, explain how Elizabeth managed to convince the jury of Ian's innocence. Then, explain Ian's reaction to Elizabeth's testimony. How does Ian's reaction to the testimony reflect back to his feelings about his family dog after the house fire? What does this reaction tell the reader about Ian's character?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)