|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters officiates the wedding between Ian and Elizabeth?
2. Why doesn't Elizabeth tell Ian that she is planning to leave him?
3. Whose memory does Ian keep alive with the contents of the treasure box?
4. What claim about Ian does Robert make upon returning home?
5. How was Ian's family killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elizabeth prepare for her escape from Ian with Robert?
2. How does Elizabeth react to the news that she is now engaged to Ian instead of Belhaven?
3. What stipulations does Elizabeth make before accepting her engagement to Ian?
4. Why does Ian offer to buy Elizabeth's uncle's house?
5. Why is Ian's relationship with his grandfather so strained?
6. What is Elizabeth's initial reaction to Montmayne?
7. Who demands that Elizabeth leave Ian's cottage and return to Havenhurst at once?
8. What does Elizabeth discover hidden in a tree house near Ian's cottage?
9. Why does Elizabeth prefer to marry an older man?
10. Who is the Dowager Duchess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After her parents' deaths, Elizabeth made her debut into high society. First, describe the way Elizabeth was trained for her appearance in society. Then, describe the way high society initially greeted Elizabeth. Was she accepted into high society, or shunned? How can you tell? Give at least two examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
When Ian was on trial for murder, Elizabeth rushed home to be at his side. First, explain how Elizabeth managed to convince the jury of Ian's innocence. Then, explain Ian's reaction to Elizabeth's testimony. How does Ian's reaction to the testimony reflect back to his feelings about his family dog after the house fire? What does this reaction tell the reader about Ian's character?
Essay Topic 3
When Elizabeth finds herself alone with Ian for the first time, she acts differently than she did when meeting with any of the other romantic suitors. First, explain how Elizabeth acted leading around men leading up to her meeting with Ian at the cottage. Then, compare / contrast that behavior with Elizabeth's behavior at the cottage. What is it about Ian that prompts Elizabeth to act so out of character?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)