|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the contract he signs, which of the following is NOT something Ian inherits when his grandfather dies?
2. After Ian kisses her on a long walk through the woods, why is Elizabeth overcome with embarrassment?
3. Whose engagement proposal forces Elizabeth to leave Ian's cottage and return home?
4. What does Robert show to Elizabeth in the hopes of proving his violent stories?
5. What is the title Ian holds within his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ian's relationship with his grandfather so strained?
2. Why does Elizabeth prefer to marry an older man?
3. Why does Elizabeth constantly chide Ian about his spending habits?
4. How does Ian convince Elizabeth's family to let him marry her?
5. What is Elizabeth's initial reaction to Montmayne?
6. Who demands that Elizabeth leave Ian's cottage and return to Havenhurst at once?
7. How does Elizabeth react when it is time for her and her husband to retire for the evening after their wedding ceremony?
8. What does Elizabeth discover hidden in a tree house near Ian's cottage?
9. How does Elizabeth feel about shopping at the town markets?
10. What does Elizabeth's private investigator report to her on the morning of her wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elizabeth had many accomplices in her eventful relationship with Ian. Choose two of these characters and describe their roles in ensuring that Ian and Elizabeth end up together. Then, compare / contrast the way they felt about Elizabeth pursuing a man rather than the other way around. Do you think the relationship between Elizabeth and Ian would have survived had it not been for the meddling of these characters? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Ian Thornton is accused of cheating at a card game, Elizabeth immediately jumps to his defense. First, explain why Ian Thornton is accused of cheating at the game. Was Lord Everly telling the truth about Ian, or was he trying to save his own reputation? How can you tell? Then, explain how Elizabeth used her intelligence and wit to save Ian Thornton from a potentially dangerous duel. What was the direct result of Elizabeth meddling in Ian Thornton's life?
Essay Topic 3
When Robert returns to Havenhurst after going missing for so many years, he returns with a mouth full of lies. First, create a list of the lies Robert spreads upon returning home. What do you think his motivations were in spreading all these terrible lies? Then, describe what happened to Elizabeth when she listened to and believed her brother's lies? How was her life altered by his return?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)