|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ian's grandfather react to seeing him after so many years away from home?
2. What is the name of Alex's husband?
3. How does Ian react to seeing the items Elizabeth has removed from his treasure box?
4. To whom is the Dowager Duchess related?
5. How long will Ian and Elizabeth court before announcing their engagement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elizabeth's private investigator report to her on the morning of her wedding?
2. What does Duncan tell Ian about Elizabeth's circumstances after she leaves the cottage?
3. How does Elizabeth prepare for her escape from Ian with Robert?
4. Why does Elizabeth constantly chide Ian about his spending habits?
5. What explanation does Robert give to Elizabeth about his disappearance when he returns to Havenhurst?
6. Who is the Dowager Duchess?
7. What stipulations does Elizabeth make before accepting her engagement to Ian?
8. What does Elizabeth discover hidden in a tree house near Ian's cottage?
9. How does the news from the private investigator affect Elizabeth's decisions on her wedding day?
10. What rumor does Ian spread about Elizabeth at the ball, changing her status in high society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Robert returns to Havenhurst after going missing for so many years, he returns with a mouth full of lies. First, create a list of the lies Robert spreads upon returning home. What do you think his motivations were in spreading all these terrible lies? Then, describe what happened to Elizabeth when she listened to and believed her brother's lies? How was her life altered by his return?
Essay Topic 2
Havenhurst is a place of extreme sentimental value to Elizabeth. First, describe the setting of Havenhurst. Then, explain why this place has such sentimental value to Elizabeth and what she alters in her marriage contract to ensure that it will always be hers. Finally, explain Ian's reaction to seeing Havenhurst for the first time. What does Ian's reaction tell the reader about this place?
Essay Topic 3
When Elizabeth's parents died, she was raised primarily with the help of her elder brother, Robert, and her faithful servants. Fist, explain how Elizabeth's life was immediately impacted upon her parents' deaths. Then, compare / contrast the ways Robert and the servants affected her childhood. Which authority figure seemed to have the greatest impact on Elizabeth's upbringing?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)