|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Elizabeth tell Ian that she is planning to leave him?
2. When Ian cannot find Elizabeth after meeting with her family, where does he go to pass time?
3. What is Ian doing when Elizabeth leaves the cottage to accept her engagement?
4. Which of the following men is Valerie betrothed to?
5. Who does the private investigator claim probably killed Robert?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elizabeth prepare for her escape from Ian with Robert?
2. Why does Elizabeth prefer to marry an older man?
3. How does Elizabeth react to the news that she is now engaged to Ian instead of Belhaven?
4. How does Elizabeth react when it is time for her and her husband to retire for the evening after their wedding ceremony?
5. What does Ian realize he must do if he wants to marry Elizabeth?
6. What does Elizabeth's private investigator report to her on the morning of her wedding?
7. Who is the Dowager Duchess?
8. What stipulations does Elizabeth make before accepting her engagement to Ian?
9. Who demands that Elizabeth leave Ian's cottage and return to Havenhurst at once?
10. How does Ian react when he sees Havenhurst for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gossip is used as a way to both ruin and repair Elizabeth's reputation in high society. First, create a list of rumors that are spread about Elizabeth throughout the course of the novel. Then, choose one scene in which gossip is used for good, and one scene in which gossip is used for ill, and compare / contrast the ways this gossip affected Elizabeth's life. What do you think is McNaught's overarching message about gossip in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
When Robert returns to Havenhurst after going missing for so many years, he returns with a mouth full of lies. First, create a list of the lies Robert spreads upon returning home. What do you think his motivations were in spreading all these terrible lies? Then, describe what happened to Elizabeth when she listened to and believed her brother's lies? How was her life altered by his return?
Essay Topic 3
When Robert encounters Elizabeth and Ian in a romantic embrace, he challenges Ian to a duel. First, explain why Robert reacted so violently to his sister's embrace. Then, explain why Robert and Ian were unfortunately matched for the duel. Finally, describe the outcome of the duel, explaining which man was more severely injured, and how.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)