|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes Duncan?
2. Why doesn't Elizabeth tell Ian the truth about her financial situation with Havenhurst?
3. Who does Ian insult, scaring the man away from Elizabeth for the duration of the ball at his home?
4. What does Ian offer to buy from Elizabeth's uncle out of anger?
5. What does Elizabeth say when she sees her engagement ring for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elizabeth prefer to marry an older man?
2. Why is Ian's relationship with his grandfather so strained?
3. What stipulations does Elizabeth make before accepting her engagement to Ian?
4. How does Ian react when he sees Havenhurst for the first time?
5. How was Ian's family killed?
6. What does Elizabeth's private investigator report to her on the morning of her wedding?
7. How does Ian convince Elizabeth's family to let him marry her?
8. Why does Elizabeth constantly chide Ian about his spending habits?
9. What explanation does Robert give to Elizabeth about his disappearance when he returns to Havenhurst?
10. How does Elizabeth prepare for her escape from Ian with Robert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elizabeth's financial standing plays a large role in the discussion of what type of wife she will make. First, explain Elizabeth's financial situation. How did she find herself in this financial position? Then, explain how Elizabeth's financial situation affects her during the courting and engagement process. Finally, explain how Ian permanently altered Elizabeth's finances by marrying her.
Essay Topic 2
Gambling had a large effect on the Cameron family's life. First, describe Elizabeth's father's gambling habit and the way it affected his family's life. Then, compare / contrast the gambling habits of Elizabeth's father and her brother. What is the same about their habits? What is different? Finally, explain how Elizabeth's father's gambling habits affected his family even long after his death.
Essay Topic 3
Letter writing is a crucial element to communication, and mis-communication, throughout this novel of high jinks. Choose one incident when letter writing was used as a method of confusion. Then, compare / contrast that to an instance with letter writing was used as a method of clarification. Do you think this novel could have proceeded if there were more methods of communication available, such as telephones or emails? Why or why not?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)