|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the investigator dislike most about Ian?
2. To whom is the Dowager Duchess related?
3. What is the name of Alex's husband?
4. What does Elizabeth agree to give to Ian in exchange for financial support for her home in Havenhurst?
5. How does Ian react to seeing the items Elizabeth has removed from his treasure box?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elizabeth's private investigator report to her on the morning of her wedding?
2. What rumor does Ian spread about Elizabeth at the ball, changing her status in high society?
3. Who is the Dowager Duchess?
4. What does Elizabeth discover hidden in a tree house near Ian's cottage?
5. What new things does Elizabeth learn about Ian after they are married?
6. How does Elizabeth react to the news that she is now engaged to Ian instead of Belhaven?
7. How does Elizabeth react when it is time for her and her husband to retire for the evening after their wedding ceremony?
8. Why does Elizabeth prefer to marry an older man?
9. How does Elizabeth prepare for her escape from Ian with Robert?
10. Who demands that Elizabeth leave Ian's cottage and return to Havenhurst at once?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Elizabeth is snooping around Ian's home, she finds a treasure box from his childhood. First, explain where Elizabeth found this treasure box, and why it was an unusual place for a lady of her standing to be snooping. Then, explain what items Elizabeth found stored in the treasure box and why Ian had kept these items for all these years. Finally, describe Ian's reaction to seeing the treasure box again. What explanation does he give to Elizabeth for keeping it hidden all this time?
Essay Topic 2
When Robert encounters Elizabeth and Ian in a romantic embrace, he challenges Ian to a duel. First, explain why Robert reacted so violently to his sister's embrace. Then, explain why Robert and Ian were unfortunately matched for the duel. Finally, describe the outcome of the duel, explaining which man was more severely injured, and how.
Essay Topic 3
Letter writing is a crucial element to communication, and mis-communication, throughout this novel of high jinks. Choose one incident when letter writing was used as a method of confusion. Then, compare / contrast that to an instance with letter writing was used as a method of clarification. Do you think this novel could have proceeded if there were more methods of communication available, such as telephones or emails? Why or why not?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)