|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes Duncan?
2. When Ian cannot find Elizabeth after meeting with her family, where does he go to pass time?
3. Which of the following facts about Ian is true?
4. Who does Ian insult, scaring the man away from Elizabeth for the duration of the ball at his home?
5. What does Elizabeth enjoy most about shopping at the markets in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elizabeth feel about shopping at the town markets?
2. How does Elizabeth react when it is time for her and her husband to retire for the evening after their wedding ceremony?
3. Who is the Dowager Duchess?
4. What explanation does Robert give to Elizabeth about his disappearance when he returns to Havenhurst?
5. How does Elizabeth react to the news that she is now engaged to Ian instead of Belhaven?
6. Who demands that Elizabeth leave Ian's cottage and return to Havenhurst at once?
7. Why does Elizabeth constantly chide Ian about his spending habits?
8. What is Elizabeth's initial reaction to Montmayne?
9. What does Duncan tell Ian about Elizabeth's circumstances after she leaves the cottage?
10. Why is Ian's relationship with his grandfather so strained?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Elizabeth is first being courted by her suitors, she alters much about herself in order to attract a wealthy mate. First, explain what Elizabeth changed or hid about herself in order to attract men. Why did Elizabeth feel that she could not show her true self in the quest for love? How did the men react to this altered version of Elizabeth's character? How does Elizabeth's alterations directly represent the role of women during this time in high society?
Essay Topic 2
When Ian Thornton is accused of cheating at a card game, Elizabeth immediately jumps to his defense. First, explain why Ian Thornton is accused of cheating at the game. Was Lord Everly telling the truth about Ian, or was he trying to save his own reputation? How can you tell? Then, explain how Elizabeth used her intelligence and wit to save Ian Thornton from a potentially dangerous duel. What was the direct result of Elizabeth meddling in Ian Thornton's life?
Essay Topic 3
The title of the novel, "Almost Heaven" comes up during a conversation in the Epilogue. What was this conversation about? What is the significance of the speaker who utters the words "Almost Heaven"? Based on the context of this conversation, do you find this to be an appropriate title for the novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)