|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ian's grandfather doing when he must wait impatiently before rushing off to find Elizabeth?
2. Upon returning home with her new husband, what is the first question that crosses Elizabeth's mind?
3. Who delivers the news to Elizabeth that she is no longer engaged to Sir Belhaven?
4. What does Ian offer to buy from Elizabeth's uncle out of anger?
5. Which of the following committees does Elizabeth join after her wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Duncan tell Ian about Elizabeth's circumstances after she leaves the cottage?
2. What rumor does Ian spread about Elizabeth at the ball, changing her status in high society?
3. What is Elizabeth's initial reaction to Montmayne?
4. Why does Elizabeth prefer to marry an older man?
5. What explanation does Robert give to Elizabeth about his disappearance when he returns to Havenhurst?
6. What does Elizabeth's private investigator report to her on the morning of her wedding?
7. How does Elizabeth feel about shopping at the town markets?
8. Who is the Dowager Duchess?
9. How does Elizabeth react to the news that she is now engaged to Ian instead of Belhaven?
10. How does Ian convince Elizabeth's family to let him marry her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Robert encounters Elizabeth and Ian in a romantic embrace, he challenges Ian to a duel. First, explain why Robert reacted so violently to his sister's embrace. Then, explain why Robert and Ian were unfortunately matched for the duel. Finally, describe the outcome of the duel, explaining which man was more severely injured, and how.
Essay Topic 2
When Ian Thornton is accused of cheating at a card game, Elizabeth immediately jumps to his defense. First, explain why Ian Thornton is accused of cheating at the game. Was Lord Everly telling the truth about Ian, or was he trying to save his own reputation? How can you tell? Then, explain how Elizabeth used her intelligence and wit to save Ian Thornton from a potentially dangerous duel. What was the direct result of Elizabeth meddling in Ian Thornton's life?
Essay Topic 3
When Robert returns to Havenhurst after going missing for so many years, he returns with a mouth full of lies. First, create a list of the lies Robert spreads upon returning home. What do you think his motivations were in spreading all these terrible lies? Then, describe what happened to Elizabeth when she listened to and believed her brother's lies? How was her life altered by his return?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)