|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elizabeth sell in order to fund her getaway with Robert?
2. What does Alex promise to do before Elizabeth gets married?
3. Why is Elizabeth willing to accept an engagement to a man she is not in love with?
4. What does Elizabeth think motivated Ian's engagement proposal?
5. What does Elizabeth say when she sees her engagement ring for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Duncan tell Ian about Elizabeth's circumstances after she leaves the cottage?
2. How does the news from the private investigator affect Elizabeth's decisions on her wedding day?
3. How does Ian convince Elizabeth's family to let him marry her?
4. What stipulations does Elizabeth make before accepting her engagement to Ian?
5. Why does Ian offer to buy Elizabeth's uncle's house?
6. What is Elizabeth's initial reaction to Montmayne?
7. Why does Elizabeth constantly chide Ian about his spending habits?
8. How does Ian react when he sees Havenhurst for the first time?
9. How does Elizabeth react when it is time for her and her husband to retire for the evening after their wedding ceremony?
10. How was Ian's family killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Elizabeth is snooping around Ian's home, she finds a treasure box from his childhood. First, explain where Elizabeth found this treasure box, and why it was an unusual place for a lady of her standing to be snooping. Then, explain what items Elizabeth found stored in the treasure box and why Ian had kept these items for all these years. Finally, describe Ian's reaction to seeing the treasure box again. What explanation does he give to Elizabeth for keeping it hidden all this time?
Essay Topic 2
Ian is from Scotland, the land he still returns to and calls his home. First, describe Ian's life in Scotland. Then, compare / contrast that to Ian's life in England. How does Ian's life change when he takes over his grandfather's title in London? What is he giving up in order to marry Elizabeth? What is he gaining?
Essay Topic 3
Ian's relationship with his grandfather, the Duke of Stanhope, is a strained one. First, explain what Ian's relationship with his grandfather was like before he met Elizabeth. Then, compare / contrast that the relationship he had with his grandfather after he met Elizabeth. What was the catalyst to the change in this relationship? By the end of the novel, do you think Ian regrets reaching out to his grandfather again? Why or why not?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)