|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes Duncan?
2. Which of the following men is Valerie betrothed to?
3. Whose engagement proposal forces Elizabeth to leave Ian's cottage and return home?
4. What bombshell does Duncan drop on Ian after Elizabeth leaves the house to accept her engagement?
5. Who delivers the news to Elizabeth that she is no longer engaged to Sir Belhaven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the novel, "Almost Heaven" comes up during a conversation in the Epilogue. What was this conversation about? What is the significance of the speaker who utters the words "Almost Heaven"? Based on the context of this conversation, do you find this to be an appropriate title for the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Elizabeth's parents died, she was raised primarily with the help of her elder brother, Robert, and her faithful servants. Fist, explain how Elizabeth's life was immediately impacted upon her parents' deaths. Then, compare / contrast the ways Robert and the servants affected her childhood. Which authority figure seemed to have the greatest impact on Elizabeth's upbringing?
Essay Topic 3
Havenhurst is a place of extreme sentimental value to Elizabeth. First, describe the setting of Havenhurst. Then, explain why this place has such sentimental value to Elizabeth and what she alters in her marriage contract to ensure that it will always be hers. Finally, explain Ian's reaction to seeing Havenhurst for the first time. What does Ian's reaction tell the reader about this place?
This section contains 1,523 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)